Malzahn's Postgame Presser - Ole Miss

RunInRed

Yeah. I'm sure ole miss had nothing to do with Bama playing poorly. Kelly torched them. When you lose at home, you don't get to play the "we're still better" card.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I'm sure ole miss had nothing to do with Bama playing poorly. Kelly torched them. When you lose at home, you don't get to play the "we're still better" card.

Agreed. But a lot of bammers think that's their God-given right.

Ole Miss, LSU, or Bama will win the SEC. I find Ole Miss's losses really weird. It will be interesting to see what happens if Ole Miss faces Florida again in the SECCG.

Mmmkay. Kelley played very well and had one that should have been a pick turn into a complete fluke 70 yd td. They did deserve the win though. Bama played sloppy and they took full advantage. Several turnovers were relatively unforced, just basic tackles where the guys coughed it up. Coker threw 2 balls he definitely shouldn't have.

However, IF bama beats lsu and rolls in here 10-1 you will be in a minority claiming they are a lesser team than OM who will be toting at least two shellackings, one from memphis.

Lots of football left to play though. OM vs LSU will be a fun one too!

So, you're saying when one team beats another at their home, that team is automatically a better team for the entire season regardless of overall performance? Interesting.

Gus: "This team is growing. ... We can play with anybody, and I think everybody can see that."

@AUBlog

I'm pretty sure our coach is delusional.

How is he wrong, we were one play short from being Miss State, and play or two from beating Arky, and a couple plays from beating Ole Miss. We're just short of being a legitimate 7-1.

Being a play or two short from beating Arkansas or Miss State or ole miss does not mean you can play with TCU, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.

The 2010 and 2013 seasons just called and wanted to give you a wake up call.

2010 - Beat Miss State by one play, beat Kentucky by one play, beat a not so great Clemson team by one play in overtime.

That year we beat Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Oregon

2013 - Beat Washington State by one play, Beat Miss State by one play, Beat Ole Miss by one play, Beat Texas A&M by one play, Beat Georgia by one play, Beat Alabama by 1 SECOND!!! WAR EAGLE

That year we lost to Florida State by one play in the NC game.

What was that you were saying about how barely beating the Kentucky's and Miss State's of the football world equates to beating the cream of the crop?

Gus: "This team is growing. ... We can play with anybody, and I think everybody can see that."

@AUBlog

How is he wrong, we were one play short from being Miss State, and play or two from beating Arky, and a couple plays from beating Ole Miss. We're just short of being a legitimate 7-1.

Being a play or two short from beating Arkansas or Miss State or ole miss does not mean you can play with TCU, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.

2010 - Beat Miss State by one play, beat Kentucky by one play, beat a not so great Clemson team by one play in overtime.

2013 - Beat Washington State by one play, Beat Miss State by one play, Beat Ole Miss by one play, Beat Texas A&M by one play, Beat Georgia by one play, Beat Alabama by 1 SECOND!!! WAR EAGLE

What was that you were saying about how barely beating the Kentucky's and Miss State's of the football world equates to beating the cream of the crop?

People have short term memory here.

You guys are crazy if you think there's a wide berth between Ole Miss and elite. Either Ole Miss or LSU is going to win the SEC. They no showed two weeks, but their focused game is better than anyone else in this conference.

If you can play with that team, you can play with anyone. That was the best team we'll see the rest of the year.

Alabama

Auburn.

Are we naming teams Ole Miss beat on their own field? Or is this a different game?

I named a team that we play that's probably better than OM. Only took 5 TOs from a rotating QB stable for OM to win by 6. Alabama has gotten better with the ball since then and OM has gotten worse.

@AUBlog

If this year's team had a Cam or Nick at the helm I might be more inclined to jump on board your post. I love White and how determined he is. In fact, I was one of the few who didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility that he could challenge already anointed Johnson as the starter months ago. But he does not have that explosive play making ability that Cam or Nick had where at any moment they could torch you on the ground or in the air.

@AUBlog

If this year's team had a Cam or Nick at the helm I might be more inclined to jump on board your post. I love White and how determined he is. In fact, I was one of the few who didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility that he could challenge already anointed Johnson as the starter months ago. But he does not have that explosive play making ability that Cam or Nick had where at any moment they could torch you on the ground or in the air.

Am I mistaken in saying that even Alabama is "one play away" from beating Ole Miss yet still has a shot at making the playoff?

I was simply showing that the days of curb stomping the lower level SEC teams every week is currently not reality. Giving Alabama an automatic win over both Miss St and Auburn is a shaky bet in this day and age of college football. Alabama was also "one play away" from losing to Tennessee.

Let's just look at the current top 10.

#1 Ohio State "one play away" from losing to Northern Illinois and Indiana

#2 Baylor is the one team that appears "untouchable" at this point

#3 Clemson "one play away" from losing to Louisville

#4 LSU "one play away" from losing to Miss St

#5 TCU "one play away" from losing to Minnesota and Texas Tech

#6 Mich St "one play away" from losing to Purdue and Rutgers

#7 Alabama "one play away" from beating Ole Miss and losing to Tenn

#8 Stanford "one play away" from beating Northwestern and losing to Washington State

#9 Notre Dame "one play away" from losing to Virginia and Temple

#10 Iowa "one play away" from losing to Wisconsin and Illinois

They should let Carl do all the talking for the team. He is one fine Person in addition to being an elite FB player. We are truly blessed to have a person like Carl to represent AU. WDE

Agreed.. And he has NOTHING to apologize for. It is obvious we actually have a defense when he is in the game.

@AUBlog

Wih all due respect that's total bull..

Sean is a redshirt freshmen who has played very well. He cannot throw and catch the balls all by himself. He is accurate, has had only two turnovers all year and he is the only reason we have been in these games offensively.

No, he is not Cam Newton, who is besides Cam? He is not a proficient dual threat QB, but he is one of the most accurate pocket passing QBs we have had since Cam.

Sean played hurt today and definitely was not 100%, but still made most of his throws. He will be a star before he leaves AU, mark it down.

Not everyone, just those that keep calling for Gus's job - it's even harder to listen to than bama fans...

I firmly believe some ARE uaters. AU folks are smarter and have way more class...

@AUBlog

The two Mississippi schools and Arkansas. I don't care how good those three are, they are still the two Mississippi schools and Arkansans. We got HANDLED by LSU, and that's the one that counts.

I really hope Gus doesn't believe his own BS.

Auburn.

Are we naming teams Ole Miss beat on their own field? Or is this a different game?

I named a team that we play that's probably better than OM. Only took 5 TOs from a rotating QB stable for OM to win by 6. Alabama has gotten better with the ball since then and OM has gotten worse.

+1

@AUBlog

Wih all due respect that's total bull..

Sean is a redshirt freshmen who has played very well. He cannot throw and catch the balls all by himself. He is accurate, has had only two turnovers all year and he is the only reason we have been in these games offensively.

No, he is not Cam Newton, who is besides Cam? He is not a proficient dual threat QB, but he is one of the most accurate pocket passing QBs we have had since Cam.

Sean played hurt today and definitely was not 100%, but still made most of his throws. He will be a star before he leaves AU, mark it down.

With all due respect, I'm talking about THIS year compared to 2010 and 2013. As I said, I am a SW fan and I, too, believe he will do some great things for our team over the next three years. But I was referencing the type of impact plays Cam and Nick had in 2010 and 2013 and SW's ceiling level of play this year.

@AUBlog

Am I mistaken in saying that even Alabama is "one play away" from beating Ole Miss yet still has a shot at making the playoff?

I was simply showing that the days of curb stomping the lower level SEC teams every week is currently not reality. Giving Alabama an automatic win over both Miss St and Auburn is a shaky bet in this day and age of college football. Alabama was also "one play away" from losing to Tennessee.

Let's just look at the current top 10.

#1 Ohio State "one play away" from losing to Northern Illinois and Indiana

#2 Baylor is the one team that appears "untouchable" at this point

#3 Clemson "one play away" from losing to Louisville

#4 LSU "one play away" from losing to Miss St

#5 TCU "one play away" from losing to Minnesota and Texas Tech

#6 Mich St "one play away" from losing to Purdue and Rutgers

#7 Alabama "one play away" from beating Ole Miss and losing to Tenn

#8 Stanford "one play away" from beating Northwestern and losing to Washington State

#9 Notre Dame "one play away" from losing to Virginia and Temple

#10 Iowa "one play away" from losing to Wisconsin and Illinois

Everyone (usually) has a close call game here and there. I just feel we are a good bit away from the kind of consistency the the teams in the top 10 that you listed are showing right now and the 2010 and 2013 teams for that matter.

So no reporter asked him about his questionable play calling, yanking SW for JJ to run up the middle, yanking JR when in red zone, etc all the things that everyone including sports commentators is questioning

@AUBlog

This team is no where near 2010 or 2013. If anything, it is closer to 2012 than those two teams as far as the final product goes.

And I never said anything about beating the "Kentucky's and the Mississippi State's." Why would I when we lost to Mississippi state? I did say something about barely beating JSU. Something our 2010 or 2013 team would not have to worry about.

Yes, SW was hobbled and with no competent backup, he gutted it out and played hurt. The young man has guts, tenacity and leadership. He deserves to be applauded for his effort. But he only completed 43% of his passes. Some might have been caught by better receivers, but some were just plain ole bad throws. Being injured does that.

The real bright spot -- Jovon Robinson rushed for 5 yards per carry. We love PB for his amazing effort and reliability. But JR was really the only positive thing going for Auburn on offense, other than the occasional big passing play. So, where has JR been up to now this season?

And WTF was CGM thinking in those red zone situations? And why does he keep doing that, game after game?

@AUBlog

People have short term memory here.

It's worse than that -- it's a refusal to think beyond the immediate. 'What have you done for me, lately?' even takes too much patience and effort.

So no reporter asked him about his questionable play calling, yanking SW for JJ to run up the middle, yanking JR when in red zone, etc all the things that everyone including sports commentators is questioning

The media only ask those type of questions to the unsuspecting players, hoping for a sound bite to boost their clicks on the internet. What until the presser for the A&M game for our beat writers to provide bulletin board material.

Thers no doubt..yada yada, thers no doubt.. bla bla, we need to execute..yada yada, we need to execute..bla bla. Hey Gus we got our doubts!,,

Brittany your powers of deduction are truly amazing. LOL

Wow -- and you actually edited this three times ....

:no:/>

Lol. Now that was funny

How many passes has Gus dropped? How many tackles has he missed? I noticed on one of the runs, Jovon?? would have scored, but 56? didn't blocked anyone and the guy he could/should have block tackled the RB about 8 yards downfield. I watched one of the Cole Cubelic film breakdowns after the JSU? game and he pointed out a play where if our lineman would have kept blocking, the play would have been a touchdown vs. a 12? yard run. I scratch my head at some of the play calling sometimes. I think Gus try's too hard to out smart the other team, but PLAYERS make plays. There is no excuse for all of the dropped passes that we have had this year(especially the last couple of games). If 82 catches the ball on our last drive and scores, our conversation today would be completely different for some(the usual complainers on here will always complain). Our supposed stars just aren't making plays. If we lose next week, I would prefer that we start the full blown youth movement and bench the game killers that have been suiting up for us for several years. Running backs not running to daylight, receivers dropping easy catches, LB's missing run fits, Safeties whiffing on tackles, etc.. I think we have the "Old dog, new trick" issue with some of our players. Sure our coaches need to do a better job, but PLAYERS make plays and our players aren't!

Archived