Sean White and his arm

aubfaninga

Some people will keep bringing it up until the coaching staff goes out and gets a dual-threat QB.

Personally, I can't remember the last time we had a QB as accurate as SW. Chris Todd maybe, but even then SW has potential to be as good as any pocket passer we have ever had at Auburn. Why would we want to pass that up? Besides I am sure Gus would enjoy proving that his offense can work without a DTQB.... again.

I doubt Gus takes anyone that thinks it cannot work without a dual-threat QB seriously.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fortunately for Sean, while he might not have quite the elite physical tools that some of our other great past QBs have had, he certainly has enough of them to be a superb college quarterback.

Many folks 'round here would do well to read this about 1,000 more times until they understand it.

Please don't turn this into a bash thread but I am really curious into the thinking that Sean has little arm strength.

How far of a deep ball does a QB need?

Do you feel he lacks "zip" on his shorter passes?

I don't see Sean as having a 70 yard arm like NM but his deep balls look fine and most have dropped with near perfect depth. Some have strayed a little to the left or right but his ball drops where it seems he wants it to.

He threw it further than anyone in the underarmour challenge at around 66 yards beating out brandon Harris and Kyle Allen among others. He also won the accuracy challenge and mvp award in the game.

fortunately for Sean, while he might not have quite the elite physical tools that some of our other great past QBs have had, he certainly has enough of them to be a superb college quarterback.

Many folks 'round here would do well to read this about 1,000 more times until they understand it.

And keep in mind that he's 19 or 20 years old. He can still continue to develop his physical tools to add to his already impressive skill set.

I will take deadly accuracy over someone who can throw a deep cannon any day. Yes NM and JJ specifically had a natural ability to flick the wrist and throw it deep alas Mike Vick. Sean White just looks so natural in the pocket, though. You can tell he starts getting happy feet, not when he is pressured, but when something is glaringly wide open. I find he misses on some of the easier wide open passes and nails the tough, soft spots on the zone. He is just young, but this experience is going to do great things for him in the future. Also, the back shoulder throw is not easily mastered and it takes the timing of the QB and the receiver. SW still hasn't found that connection with his receivers yet. Not to say it is his fault because many of them are making his job a lot harder. If anything, I would've guessed that Sean and Myron Burton would've had this down pact, because they seem to have had a great connection, probably from lots of reps with each other.

Do we really need this same thread every week?

Some people will keep bringing it up until the coaching staff goes out and gets a dual-threat QB.

Personally, I can't remember the last time we had a QB as accurate as SW. Chris Todd maybe, but even then SW has potential to be as good as any pocket passer we have ever had at Auburn. Why would we want to pass that up? Besides I am sure Gus would enjoy proving that his offense can work without a DTQB.... again.

I think things are always better with a little dual-threat imo

Do we really need this same thread every week?

I think things are always better with a little dual-threat imo

Surprising opinion coming from you. :b/

One of the best things to me about SW is that when he is in the game I don't feel like its a turnover waiting to happen. I am confident that he can, and will, make virtually every throw that is asked of him. What I worry about is if the line will block long enough for our WRs to get open and when the ball gets there if our WRs will catch it!

I agree with this completely. He seems to be deadly accurate within 10-15 yards if the WRS woudl actually catch the ball. He does have a tendency to hold the ball a while (probably waiting for the guys to get open). I feel that he would be much better suited throwing quick slants but we do not seem to throw many quick slants - like ever. It just looks like many of our passing plays take too much time to develop and the line is blocking for 3-4 seconds which is not going to work this week, (and it for sure will not work against alabama). But I guess that is a different topic.

I guess what I am saying is that I think he can make every short to intermediate passes with extreme accuracy.

One of the best things to me about SW is that when he is in the game I don't feel like its a turnover waiting to happen. I am confident that he can, and will, make virtually every throw that is asked of him. What I worry about is if the line will block long enough for our WRs to get open and when the ball gets there if our WRs will catch it!

I agree with this completely. He seems to be deadly accurate within 10-15 yards if the WRS woudl actually catch the ball. He does have a tendency to hold the ball a while (probably waiting for the guys to get open). I feel that he would be much better suited throwing quick slants but we do not seem to throw many quick slants - like ever. It just looks like many of our passing plays take too much time to develop and the line is blocking for 3-4 seconds which is not going to work this week, (and it for sure will not work against alabama). But I guess that is a different topic.

I guess what I am saying is that I think he can make every short to intermediate passes with extreme accuracy.

It's actually his shorter passes that he's had the most trouble with, but overall he's very accurate.

I went back and watched Aaron Murray's highlights from the 2011 Iron Bowl. White looks even more similar to him now than I previously thought he did. Not sure if it will translate to Gus's offense or if he'll ever have the same caliber of athletes around him- could be better in some areas, worse in others- but I still think we've got a very good quarterback on our hands.

One thing that impresses me about SW is his footwork. When going through his progressions, he resets his feet for each one. When scrambling, he stops and sets his feet before throwing. That is one reason his accuracy is good.

Joe Montana or Jamarcus Russell?

Russell had incredible arm strength, Montana deadly accuracy.

Which one is in the hall of fame and which one flamed out?

Nuff said!

Joe Montana or Jamarcus Russell?

Russell had incredible arm strength, Montana deadly accuracy.

Which one is in the hall of fame and which one flamed out?

Nuff said!

I think that is a very contextless point. JaMarcus just wasn't mentally ready for the NFL game and couldn't adjust his style of play (let's not even bring up the fact that the NFL is radically different). It's about knowing the game, not arm strength and Montana didn't exactly have a baby arm. He was probably stronger than Sean or Brady or Manning

While others continue to question him, I am sold on the kid. What he may lack physically he more than makes up for between the ears in my opinion. He has a great ability to feel pressure and move around the pocket. He has shown leadership and passion on the field. He has made tough throws and repeatedly puts the ball where it needs to be. He has made a few mistakes but every qb does. And lastly, no he is not Nick Marshall or Can Newton when he runs but he has shown the ability to make the correct read, be a "threat" to run and scramble when it is needed.

Well folks jf3 just committed so SW might end up transferring eventually

If a second-string JUCO QB comes in and takes the job from White, we have bigger problems than anyone thought.

Well folks jf3 just committed so SW might end up transferring eventually

If a second-string JUCO QB comes in and takes the job from White, we have bigger problems than anyone thought.

Ain't that the truth!

The QB who has to throw it 70 yards is the QB that missed the read from the get go.

SW has really good accuracy. And the comment about the throw to Ray was ridiculous. Sometimes you see it, you throw it hard and fast so that the guy has time to catch and turn up. That was as good a throw as you can make.

If SW has to dumb down those throws, we are screwed.

Late to the party but I don't get what all the discussion is about. I see no reason, thus far, to think that Sean is not a damn fine QB.

Late to the party but I don't get what all the discussion is about. I see no reason, thus far, to think that Sean is not a damn fine QB.

And you are correct.

And you are correct.

yes

Archived