Eric Green from VT

Rockthecasbah6

Sorry if this is old news.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/...0103_AUB@VATECH

A voter in the coaches' poll, Beamer has already decided to anoint the Orange Bowl winner as No. 1. Auburn will have to settle for No. 2 on his ballot.

That sounds about right to one of his players, cornerback Eric Green

"People were expecting it to be a blowout. People were expecting Auburn to show they should be in Miami," Green said. "I think they're right where they belong."

Sounds like a sore loser to me.

A voter in the coaches' poll, Beamer has already decided to anoint the Orange Bowl winner as No. 1. Auburn will have to settle for No. 2 on his ballot.

"People were expecting it to be a blowout. People were expecting Auburn to show they should be in Miami," Green said. "I think they're right where they belong."

137141[/snapback]

Doesnt he have to vote for the winner of the orange bowl anyways?? Isnt that what the bcs makes the coaches do in the coaches poll?

You know, I used to like the Hokies, but after I saw how classless their players were, they are right next to bammer and LSU. It's really classy to poke people in the eye.

"GREENSBORO, N.C. - The Atlantic Coast Conference announced the recipients of the 2004 Fall Sportsmanship Awards Thursday afternoon. Teams receiving the awards have conducted themselves with a high degree of character and good sportsmanship, as determined by a vote of the league's teams.

The conference presents sportsmanship awards for each of its 25 sponsored sports....

Virginia Tech led all league schools with three accolades, while Maryland and Miami each earned two awards and Wake Forest collected one. Highlighting the 2004 fall recipients are the Virginia Tech football team, that will represent the ACC in the Nokia Sugar Bowl, the Wake Forest field hockey team that won its third-straight NCAA Field Hockey Title and the Maryland men's soccer team that advanced to the NCAA Men's Soccer College Cup."

That was just one game :)

They won the sportsmanship award over the likes of FSU and Miami among others. I think the Lucasville Correctional State Penatentary football team would have been in contention with the thugs that reside in the ACC. I don't understand how you could expect us to feel any other way when your players were repeated seen committing what should have been personal fouls that were simply not called. Maybe they are not normally as bad as they were, but they were pretty bad for our one encounter with them. :no:

Doesnt matter who theyre going "against" for the award, they still won it, and for a reason. The ACC isnt full of thugs, aside from Miami and FSU there isnt one team in the conference that is known for anything dirty.

I don't understand how you could expect us to feel any other way when your players were repeated seen committing what should have been personal fouls that were simply not called

Its because I know these guys arent thugs. I watch them every week and ive never seen them play like that, I dont think ive ever seen Eric Green commit one personal foul. They dont do the things that Miami and FSU have been known for doing. I posted the ACC Sportsmanship article to dispell rumors that their players wore visors because VT has a history of eye poking. A team that does that wouldnt have gotten the award, plain and simple.

It was one game, doesnt mean these guys are dirty players. Doesnt mean the whole team was doing it either. Eric Green had a couple late hits, and Jimmy Williams was getting in peoples faces a lot, but then again, so was one Auburn corner. The game was a lot cleaner in the second half though, and there was never anything blatant.

At the same time, it was said before the neutering of Oklahoma the next night. His opinion was the same as everybody elses, besides Auburn fans ofcourse.

His reasoning was correct. Everybody WAS expecting a blowout. Instead, it turned out to be a 3 point game even after VT left 10 easy points out there. Unfortunately, the result of that is people thinking Auburn isnt as good as they were supposed to be, not VT is better than everybody thought.

BTW, why was the Auburn-VT series cancelled?

Anyone who can win the ACC isn't going to get blown out in a big game. The Big XII, on the other hand.....

I'm not saying Eric Green came up with a new opinion on Auburn, it just sounded like something a Huston Nutt type would say, not something one of Beamer's players would say.

I heard it explained that the final coaches poll ballot is only for second on down. The winner of the Orange Bowl automatically received all votes for No. 1. Coaches ballot does not have a place to vote for No. 1.

Heard this on ESPN radio or could have been Andy on Sports Talk. Anyway somebody asked the question and that was the answer. Can anybody confirm the process of the final ballot voting?

At the same time, it was said before the neutering of Oklahoma the next night. His opinion was the same as everybody elses, besides Auburn fans ofcourse.

His reasoning was correct. Everybody WAS expecting a blowout. Instead, it turned out to be a 3 point game even after VT left 10 easy points out there. Unfortunately, the result of that is people thinking Auburn isnt as good as they were supposed to be, not VT is better than everybody thought.

137376[/snapback]

I don't agree about the blowout business. Everything I read about the media hype about this matchup (whenever they weren't totally trashinng AU's claim to be in the OB) was saying AU had to blow out Va Tech in order to even have a chance of convincing the AP voters to split the championship. I never believed it. AU & Va Tech were Nos 1 & 3 in the nation in scoring defense. This game was destined to be a defensive battle. Interesting enough, I was watching the replay of the game and Charles Barkley was being interviewed at halftime. When the annoucing crew was asking Charles about the game, he said he thought the game would be decided by a FG. AU was up 9-0 at the time. He then said, "I still think this will be a one FG game." Turns out he was right on the money.

Re Eric Green's comment: a college football player expresses his frustration at losing a big game in a post-game interview. Alert the media & stop the presses.

I'm going to blame the BCS for this. Any mention of this match-up in the media focused on how AU has to be disappointed in settling for the Sugar instead of the Orange Bowl. Look as all the various Must See Bowl game lists -- this year's Sugar Bowl never got any good pub before the game. It was never listed as a must see game. This, despite a matchup of two major conference winners. Only the Orange Bowl had a similar major conference winner pairing. In doing so, the media completely dismissed Va Tech's accomplishments this season. No doubt the Va Tech players took this as a sleight toward them, as if they were just another creampuff on AU's schedule.

137141[/snapback]

Sounds like a certain :ut: player to me!!! :moon:

137376[/snapback]

And had AU scored TD's instead of FG's...how close would it have been then?

:au::homer:

Difference being, those arent easy points. The reason Auburn couldnt get in the endzone was VTs defense. Its like saying "well if their defense wasnt so good, wed have scored more".

VT dropped a touchdown pass, and Randall overthrew a wide open reciever 5 yards infront of him, which then ended up in a missed 20 yard field goal. Auburn didnt have anything to do with that, the points VT left on the board were easy points. Those plays NEED to be made.

And who knows how close it would have been, the game likely would have ended up with a higher score. VT would have had the lead if Allen wouldve caught the pass, which means the game wouldve been closer and Auburn wouldnt have ran the ball the entire 4th quarter. It wouldve been a much better game.

If the all-conquering USC only beat VT by less than two TD's why did anyone expect Auburn to blow them out? VT was said to be the hottest team in college football winning its last 8 games and beating Miami at their house.

VT has become one of the best teams in college football and they would have beaten anyone from the Big 12 including Choklahoma. I bet Pete Carroll was glad he had to face OU instead of VT a second time.

Difference being, those arent easy points. The reason Auburn couldnt get in the endzone was VTs defense. Its like saying "well if their defense wasnt so good, wed have scored more".

VT dropped a touchdown pass, and Randall overthrew a wide open reciever 5 yards infront of him, which then ended up in a missed 20 yard field goal. Auburn didnt have anything to do with that, the points VT left on the board were easy points. Those plays NEED to be made.

And who knows how close it would have been, the game likely would have ended up with a higher score. VT would have had the lead if Allen wouldve caught the pass, which means the game wouldve been closer and Auburn wouldnt have ran the ball the entire 4th quarter. It wouldve been a much better game.

137473[/snapback]

Oh, I see...but the reason VT couldn't score on first and goal from the 2 was....VT?

Please...... :poke:

:au::homer:

Uhhhh, yeah, the fullback dropped the ball. No Auburn player caused him to drop it, the ball was thrown right to him.

No Auburn player caused Randall to overthrow a wide open reciever right infront of him either, another easy touchdown that was missed. That caused VT to go for a chip shot field goal, and our kicker couldnt even make that.

Im not saying VT wouldve won if theyd have gotten the easy points, but it wouldve been a more competitive game.

Uhhhh, yeah, the fullback dropped the ball. No Auburn player caused him to drop it, the ball was thrown right to him.

No Auburn player caused Randall to overthrow a wide open reciever right infront of him either, another easy touchdown that was missed. That caused VT to go for a chip shot field goal, and our kicker couldnt even make that.

Im not saying VT wouldve won if theyd have gotten the easy points, but it wouldve been a more competitive game.

137533[/snapback]

I beg to differ there, VT. I watch the replay recently and your fullback immdediately got knocked on his azz by some of the AU D. Who's to say he wasn't hearing footsteps at the time of his almost pass reception? We can play the what if game a little further and say he wouldn't have been able to hang on to the ball because of the big hit. Same thing with your QB -- maybe he overthrew his receiver because he was concerned about The Predator (Stanley McClover) getting to him on the pass rush. Speaking of missed FGs: we feel your pain. In this year's Iron Bowl right before the end of the half, AU drove practically the length of the field only to stall at the bammie's 9, and then watched our FG kicker bounce one square off the upright. I don't know what it is about FG kicking this year but I've never seen so many missed attempts. Every game is a contest to see which side makes the least number of mistakes. This time, AU made the least & won. Maybe next time, Va Tech wins.

Its tough to not play the 'what if game', but Im not about to say VT would definitely have won if they didnt make those mistakes.

and your fullback immdediately got knocked on his azz by some of the AU D. Who's to say he wasn't hearing footsteps at the time of his almost pass reception?

Oh he probably was, but its still an easy catch. On 4th and 1, against a team that gives us less points than anybody else, he NEEDS to make that easy catch. Maybe he wouldve dropped it anyway when he was hit, but thats atleast understandable. Dropping the easy catch in the first place isnt.

maybe he overthrew his receiver because he was concerned about The Predator (Stanley McClover) getting to him on the pass rush.

Hes a senior, hes expected to make the easy touch pass. The ball didnt even need to be THAT accurate, there wasnt anybody around the reciever. He just overthrew it like hes done so many times in his career. Randall was great this season, but he was back in his 2003 form for this game.

As for the field goal, all I did was put my hands over my eyes after he missed and said "not this again". Our kicking problems last season were laughable, and it hit its peak in our bowl game against California. 3 missed field goals, but we still had a chance to win at the end. DeAngelo Hall ran back a 50 yard punt for the touchdown to tie it up with 1:20 left in the game. Then our kicker kicks the ball out of bounds for the 3rd time in the game leaving an easy field for Cali to get into field position, which they do and their 40% kicker drills it right down the middle. Our Ray Guy award finalist punter also had punts of 9 and 11 yards.

VT fans cringe when we hear the name 'Carter Warley'. Brandon Pace has done a lot better than him this season, making a lot of clutch field goals, but hes also seemed incapable of hitting some of the easy ones.

Its why VT has such a bad record in bowl games(6-12)

No, I already said I dont think they wouldve won the game anyway. Ive said that atleast half a dozen times :lol: Maybe you wouldve noticed that too if you read what I said

Just giving my opinion of the game, which is what I was told this forum was for. For fans of other teams to talk about the game also :)

Archived