**Official** New Auburn OL coach Herb Hand

doc4aday

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People have been asking why Penn State's offense has been so bad the last couple of years. Here's what I was able to dig up. Penn State's OL returned only two starters in 2014. Unfortunately, one of those two starters (Miles Dieffenbach rivals 4 star) was injured and only able to start the last three games of the season. So, they went through most of the the season with only one returning starter. As a result, Penn State started two freshmen, Brendon Mahon (guard,9 starts; rivals 4 star) and Andrew Nelson (tackle, 13 starts; rivals 3 star). Also, 13 starts were by Brian Gaia (12 starts; 3 star rivals) and Derek Dowry (1 start; rivals 2 star) who were defensive linemen in 2013. Their starter at C, Angelo Mangiro (3 stars rivals), had no previous starting experience before the season. As a result, the stats were awful. 101.9 rushing yards (2.9 ypc), 13 rushing TDs, 44 sacks and 98 tfl allowed.

After the 2014 season, LT Donovan Smith (4 stars rivals) declared for the draft, while Deiffenbach completed his eligibility. 4 starters returned from the 2014 season, including sophomores Mahon (11 starts) and Nelson (8 starts). Mangiro returned at C, and started 12 games. Gaia was the only guy to start all 13 games for Penn State. Dowry and Wendy Laurent (2 stars rivals) combined for 10 starts at guard. JUCO signee Paris Palmer (rivals 4 star) started 11 games at tackle. So, they definitely had more experience coming back in 2015, but not necessarily a more talent. As a result, they improved considerably, but not nearly enough. They averaged 133.9 rushing yards (4.1 ypc), which were huge improvements. However, they still ended up with 39 sacks and 93 tfl overall. They also scored 35 offensive touchdowns (15 rush, 20 pass), which was a big improvement from 2013, when they scored only 26 offensive touchdowns. They redshirted a few OL true freshmen in 2015 that maybe could have helped (a 4 star and two 3 star players according to rivals). They have 3 4 star players and 1 3 star player committed for this years class, which is by far their best OL class this decade.

Thank you Auburn123 for the rest of the story, The naysayers never want to hear that. I do thank you for making that known. Welcome coach Hand and Godspeed Coach Grimes and may 2016 be a better year for AU football for the sake of the players and coaches. They are the ones that count.; WDE

Thank you Auburn123 for the rest of the story, The naysayers never want to hear that. I do thank you for making that known. Welcome coach Hand and Godspeed Coach Grimes and may 2016 be a better year for AU football for the sake of the players and coaches. They are the ones that count.; WDE

Indeed....and Gus knows this guy and they have worked together. Can't imagine why any AU person uses comments from a bunch of angry people as justification for suggesting this is a bad hire.

Hand talk is all over Twitter this afternoon. The Penn State folks are acknowledging it as well.

Can you give a specific source of the PSU fans? I bet they are up in arms about losing Shoop. I really did not think Shoop would ever leave Coach Franklin. UT is a step down from PSU in my opinion. Who knows folks? I do not see any support for getting Jeff Grimes to come as OL, so I guess he is out of the equation. I am sure Gus will hire who he thinks is the best OL coach for his offense. Hand does seem to know a lot about Gus' Spread/Zone Read etc. This could be a huge asset with hiring CHH from PSU.

I like Jeff Grimes, too, but I think Coach Hand brings an extra element to the table that would make this a fantastic hire, imo

More recruiting has me sold! But didn't Penn st o line suck?

No trying to start anything or flame on the hire, but Penn State's O-line was garbage this year.

“My family and I are extremely excited to join the Auburn football family and be a part of a program with such great tradition and history," Hand said. "We’re especially excited to rejoin Coach Malzahn and work with him again. It was an opportunity that was way too good for us to pass up."

RL your time to prove yourself is now, good luck

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article54198525.html#storylink=cpy

Hand talk is all over Twitter this afternoon. The Penn State folks are acknowledging it as well.

Can you give a specific source of the PSU fans? I bet they are up in arms about losing Shoop. I really did not think Shoop would ever leave Coach Franklin. UT is a step down from PSU in my opinion. Who knows folks? I do not see any support for getting Jeff Grimes to come as OL, so I guess he is out of the equation. I am sure Gus will hire who he thinks is the best OL coach for his offense. Hand does seem to know a lot about Gus' Spread/Zone Read etc. This could be a huge asset with hiring CHH from PSU.

I like Jeff Grimes, too, but I think Coach Hand brings an extra element to the table that would make this a fantastic hire, imo

More recruiting has me sold! But didn't Penn st o line suck?

No trying to start anything or flame on the hire, but Penn State's O-line was garbage this year.

Read post 104 above....everything is not as it first appears.

http://onwardstate.c...oach-at-auburn/

TIFWIW - Most Penn Staters are happy to see him go - they were calling for his head all season.

I see 3 assistants are gone. Sounds like maybe there's a James Franklin problem.

Umm, we had 4 assistants leave. What does that say about us?

Two of them got major promotions, another guy on their side of the ball followed them to their new gig when he repeatedly got passed over for a promotion here and the fourth is going to spend the twilight of his career working with his son for one of the true gentlemen of the sport (and a fellow Arkansas native). Oh, and he's also a cancer survivor getting out of the pressure cooker of the SEC.

PSU had 2 guys on opposite sides of the ball make lateral moves in the prime of their careers (as far as I know). They fired the third guy, so that doesn't really say anything.

It's probably a reach to say it's a meaningful comment on Franklin, but it definitely doesn't take the luster off the Hand hire for me.

Penn State has been so bad because of all the crap they've been through. It's gonna take them a very long time to even think about getting on top again. I've also been hearing that Lashlee might be moving on too. I wasn't going to say anything, because I knew someone would post something to me saying I didn't know what I'm talking about so I should just shut up.

Well while Penn State's OL stats looks atrocious, the PSU writers said Hand was in a terrible position last year and shouldn't be at fault. As said earlier, this year they had to do some shuffling and move DL to OL, plus injuries. Add that with an inconsistent WR core like PSU seemed to have and you'll have a crap offense.

FWIW, O'Brien left them with little to nothing on the OL. Hand had to convert two defensive linemen in 2014 to offensive linemen just to get by. He did sign two 4-star OL in the 2015 class but obviously those guys would have been true freshmen this past season.

The OL that Hand had to work with at penn St was as bad as it gets. D2 bad. I'm not a huge sunshine guy with Gus but the Hand & McGriff hires are strong.

And if I'm Rhette I'm worried. Hand wil step in and do most of the game day planning with Gus.

I keep hearing Rhett is likely to move on. But we'll see.

I wonder would that open the door for Spivotal as QB coach?

Not saying anything about how I feel about Lashlee, but where exactly could he go at this point in the off season? There's no where up for him to go (last I checked) and name one place that would make a better lateral move than Auburn.

Nobody said it would be a better latteral move. As of a day or so ago Cincy was interested.

Well while Penn State's OL stats looks atrocious, the PSU writers said Hand was in a terrible position last year and shouldn't be at fault. As said earlier, this year they had to do some shuffling and move DL to OL, plus injuries. Add that with an inconsistent WR core like PSU seemed to have and you'll have a crap offense.

FWIW, O'Brien left them with little to nothing on the OL. Hand had to convert two defensive linemen in 2014 to offensive linemen just to get by. He did sign two 4-star OL in the 2015 class but obviously those guys would have been true freshmen this past season.

The OL that Hand had to work with at penn St was as bad as it gets. D2 bad. I'm not a huge sunshine guy with Gus but the Hand & McGriff hires are strong.

And if I'm Rhette I'm worried. Hand wil step in and do most of the game day planning with Gus.

Not saying anything about how I feel about Lashlee, but where exactly could he go at this point in the off season? There's no where up for him to go (last I checked) and name one place that would make a better lateral move than Auburn.

Nobody said it would be a better latteral move. As of a day or so ago Cincy was interested.

In Lashlee?

In Lashlee?

Yes

In addition to being a lifelong Auburn fan, I'm also a Vandy alum. I've even rooted for Vandy against Auburn on rare occasions when Vandy has had more at stake. Lemme tell you, this guy can coach. And his players love him. How often does a Vandy offensive line hold its own in the SEC? Basically, when this guy was there.

Last couple sentences are golden. I feel much better about it.

In Lashlee?

Yes

i thought it was reported that the Cinncy OC had last say on the job offer?

Interesting note according to Brandon Marcello of AL.com: Hand had to convert two defensive linemen to offensive linemen this year at Penn State. That had a lot to do with their difficulties.

From what I understand, the majority of the OL at PSU were walk ons due to the previous sanctions.

PSU still hasn't recovered from the sanctions and image problems. Hand's a good coach. So is Franklin. Tough place to be successful right now.

Even better point.

Some of the PSU FB comments:

image1_6.jpg

image2_6_Copy.jpg

Kind of reminds me of bammer fans! I do not think for one minute that Hand is a bad coach. I think this hire could be the missing piece of the puzzle that is needed to get our offense back to being a lethal weapon that can shoot down even the toughest of defenses in the SEC.

TIFWIW - Most Penn Staters are happy to see him go - they were calling for his head all season.

I see 3 assistants are gone. Sounds like maybe there's a James Franklin problem.

James Franklin and Hand are dang good coaches. People don't realize what sanctions do to a program. Bill O Brien then Franklin, have done a great job holding it together but even the best of coaches can't overcome it. If he can continue success at Penn St then he is one of the best.

You are right with your assessment. I think it will take another 2-3 years before PSU starts challenging for the Big 10 title. Franklin is a great coach and needs to have that amount of time to get the program back on track.

Umm, we had 4 assistants leave. What does that say about us?

Two of them got major promotions, another guy on their side of the ball followed them to their new gig when he repeatedly got passed over for a promotion here and the fourth is going to spend the twilight of his career working with his son for one of the true gentlemen of the sport (and a fellow Arkansas native). Oh, and he's also a cancer survivor getting out of the pressure cooker of the SEC.

PSU had 2 guys on opposite sides of the ball make lateral moves in the prime of their careers (as far as I know). They fired the third guy, so that doesn't really say anything.

It's probably a reach to say it's a meaningful comment on Franklin, but it definitely doesn't take the luster off the Hand hire for me.

Not at all. I can't blame any of our guys for leaving for the reasons they did (with the one possible exception of Thompson)

And I am pleased with our offseason hires. I miss TRob and Grimes, but I like our current staff.

I was just making the point that having assistants leave doesn't necessarily mean there's a dumpster fire.

I know nothing about the situation at PSU other than the fact they got slammed with sanctions.

I am a James Franklin fan and I hope he has tremendous success at PSU.

I'm really excited about this hire. His OL did struggle the last couple years for reasons that have already been stated. But he has been a well respected OL and OC for several years now. Grimes has been great the last 3 years but Hand was who I originally was hopping for Malazahn to hire when he got the hc gig. Looking forward to his input on the offense.

Archived