2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

Come on guys....you can't give me a legitimate reason why we would not want this guy. Big arm, mobile, quick release, and pretty dang accurate. Like I said before, insert someone like him into last year and we win atleast 3 more games.

Well if you insert a dominate LB we probably win......well it's probably the same.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on guys....you can't give me a legitimate reason why we would not want this guy. Big arm, mobile, quick release, and pretty dang accurate. Like I said before, insert someone like him into last year and we win atleast 3 more games.

Well if you insert a dominate LB we probably win......well it's probably the same.

A linebacker is the same as a quarterback? Vehemently disagree. Also, I know it's a very common mistake for some reason, but dominant is the adjective you're looking for.

bama has 15 returning and is projected to land as many as 5 on signing day. We have 10 (I believe Shockly and Ritter are walk-ons, so really 8) and only 1 currently projected to sign with us. Also, I can only name one guy on that list who I'm even a little confident will be a standout linebacker for us... Tre Williams.

It's not logical to compare to them. They often use 2 more LBs per play than us so they need more.

Have to disagree E. Two more per play does not justify them having 8-9 more on their roster than we do, counting our walk-ons,

You completely missed my point. Because they use 2 more LBs per play looking at the number they have on roster at all is a useless gesture. They could have 50 million LBs on roster & it still would be useless to compare. If you want to compare our LB sitch find another team that runs a 4-2-5. That would be a useful LB numbers comparison.

Didn't we dump the 4-2-5 when Muschamp came on board? My understanding is that Steele runs a similar D to him... a 4-3

A linebacker is the same as a quarterback? Vehemently disagree. Also, I know it's a very common mistake for some reason, but dominant is the adjective you're looking for.

NO!

Now that I look at my post again I can see where it might have been misleading. Let me try again.

Well if you insert a dominant LB we probably win.......well it's probably the same number of wins we already had.

NO!

Now that I look at my post again I can see where it might have been misleading. Let me try again.

Well if you insert a dominant LB we probably win.......well it's probably the same number of wins we already had.

If we insert a dominant linebacker, last year, we probably win Georgia and Arkansas, and have a better showing against LSU.

bama has 15 returning and is projected to land as many as 5 on signing day. We have 10 (I believe Shockly and Ritter are walk-ons, so really 8) and only 1 currently projected to sign with us. Also, I can only name one guy on that list who I'm even a little confident will be a standout linebacker for us... Tre Williams.

It's not logical to compare to them. They often use 2 more LBs per play than us so they need more.

Have to disagree E. Two more per play does not justify them having 8-9 more on their roster than we do, counting our walk-ons,

You completely missed my point. Because they use 2 more LBs per play looking at the number they have on roster at all is a useless gesture. They could have 50 million LBs on roster & it still would be useless to compare. If you want to compare our LB sitch find another team that runs a 4-2-5. That would be a useful LB numbers comparison.

Didn't we dump the 4-2-5 when Muschamp came on board? My understanding is that Steele runs a similar D to him... a 4-3

Bama runs a NFL style 3-4 defense. Mushamp and Steele run multiple packages. So some players we might list as defensive ends are outside Lbs in most packages. Carl Lawson, Paul James, and Raashed Kennion are all versatile enough to be OLB. HINT the "BUCK" position.

NO!

Ahh, gotcha. My apologies for the misinterpretation.

I'll give lionheartkc the Arkansas game, but I think there are several more games we win with a good QB. Maybe all of them except LSU.

NO!

If we insert a dominant linebacker, last year, we probably win Georgia and Arkansas, and have a better showing against LSU.

Well unless that LB played on special teams against UGA it doesn't matter too much.

NO!

I'll give lionheartkc the Arkansas game, but I think there are several more games we win with a good QB. Maybe all of them except LSU.

At the VERY LEAST we win MSU and UGA. and a 8-4 going into a bowl or 9-3 coming out of a bowl looks like a pretty good team.

Bama runs a NFL style 3-4 defense. Mushamp and Steele run multiple packages. So some players we might list as defensive ends are outside Lbs in most packages. Carl Lawson, Paul James, and Raashed Kennion are all versatile enough to be OLB. HINT the "BUCK" position.

And Bingo was his name O!

The legitimate reason not to bring him in is roster management. I don't know where the numbers will shake out, but if we're butting up against the 85, teams will turn away transfer QBs. I'd much rather sign a full class and add Darius James and Jamel Dean on scholarship than carry six scholarship QBs. If it's a choice between giving Webb a scholarship and essentially wasting it, I'd rather bring in the extra arm.

The other legitimate reason not to do it is that the guy is very, very far from a sure thing. Because this isn't the NFL, we don't have unlimited practice time/reps. Spring is better spent narrowing the field, at minimum, or identifying your starter or repping an established starter. If we're not even bringing Webb into the mix until summer, it means we're going to need to burn fall practice reps just to find out whether we like him as a starter/backup or not. Even if it works out (Nick Marshall), it's never a good thing to use fall practice that way.

If this was Russell Wilson, yeah, no hesitation. Davis Webb, however, has never looked that good AND has a history of health issues. Maybe those were a singular incident, but the reality of his situation is that he was beaten out by Baker Mayfield (no shame there) and Patrick Mahoumes. Both had less experience at the time they took his job. Webb isn't a home run. He's an unknown, and it's certainly legitimate to look at our current messy QB situation and decide not to inject even more uncertainty into the competition. Basically,we'd spend spring trying to narrow the field then insert a new name into the competition mid-stream. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, but that's certainly a legitimate concern when you're dealing with a finite number of reps.

I'd much rather sign a full class and add Darius James and Jamel Dean on scholarship than carry six scholarship QBs.

They are already on scholly & concretely count to n IC 25 list. James in 2015. Dean in 2016.

NO!

It's really all speculation, at this point, since I'm not sure our receiver corps could support better passing. I think Ole Miss was a loss even with a good QB. Sure Gus made some questionable substitutions because Sean was hurt, but there were still a lot of drops. I think, if Sean had stayed healthy, we would have been able to get enough of a passing game to beat Georgia. I don't know about bama. In our bowl, it seemed that Stevens had stepped it up, so maybe good passing would have won that one, too. I think Mississippi State was a victim of starting a brand new QB against Dak. Had Sean started the season and had 2 wins and a loss under his belt, that would have been a different ballgame.

Agree. I simply mean they're "new" numbers from last year that didn't count toward our 85 last season, unless I'm mistaken on James. I know that's true on Dean. Bottom line, I'd rather have a full class plus the guys we were anticipating as additions than carry six QBs (without a single lock starter in the group).

This tells me that Gus still isn't sold on White for some reason.

That's what some are trying to say but others aren't listening.

Knee may be worse than we think. You have to notice he had no zip and accuracy issues after the injury

Knee may be worse than we think. You have to notice he had no zip and accuracy issues after the injury

The foot was the bigger & more impoctful injury.

NO!

It's really all speculation, at this point, since I'm not sure our receiver corps could support better passing. I think Ole Miss was a loss even with a good QB. Sure Gus made some questionable substitutions because Sean was hurt, but there were still a lot of drops. I think, if Sean had stayed healthy, we would have been able to get enough of a passing game to beat Georgia. I don't know about bama. In our bowl, it seemed that Stevens had stepped it up, so maybe good passing would have won that one, too. I think Mississippi State was a victim of starting a brand new QB against Dak. Had Sean started the season and had 2 wins and a loss under his belt, that would have been a different ballgame.

That is all very reasonable IMO. I *definitely* agree that our WR corps didn't do our QBs many favors for much/most of the season. And our schemes didn't always do any of them any favors. And maybe if Sean starts from day 1- something some of us were laughed at for suggesting as a possibility in spring- and stays healthy, it's a completely different season. But he didn't and he didn't and now he's still a very inexperienced quarterback.

And mcgufcm, I hear you, except I can't say it enough: if Franklin is indeed tabbed to play quarterback and we are indeed flirting with Webb, then, as WDEWDE suggests, we have already evaluated the guys on campus and aren't satisfied. And I consider Webb to be less of an unknown than any of them except White (well, except JJ, but he's on the wrong end of known).

Nope but just looking at the roster we have 1. Deshaun Davis 2. Cameron Toney 3. Darrell Williams 4. Josh Shockley 5. Richard McBryde 6. JaViere Mitchell 7. Tre Williams 8. Daniel Pond 9. Chase Ritter 10. Jeff Holand

You forgot Atkinson. Per reports he has had the best instincts at practice of any of those guys except maybe Tre.

Yea, you have seen a picture of Atkinson. He is actually a 35 year old pretending to be a 19 year old college student.

And mcgufcm, I hear you, except I can't say it enough: if Franklin is indeed tabbed to play quarterback and we are indeed flirting with Webb, then, as WDEWDE suggests, we have already evaluated the guys on campus and aren't satisfied. And I consider Webb to be less of an unknown than any of them except White (well, except JJ, but he's on the wrong end of known).

I have to think, if Gus is desperate to bring in someone because he isn't satisfied with Sean, after what we all saw on the field mid-season, then either his there is more to his injury or he's having off the field problems.

I mean, if we were looking at a star player who was transferring because of a coaching change... heck if we were looking at either of the guys from Texas A&M, I could see rolling the dice even if he was happy with Sean, because they might be a better option, but if Gus is strongly pursuing a cast off who has one year to play, spent most of last year on the bench, and is interception prone, there has to be more to it than on the field evaluation based on this years play.

I have to think, if Gus is desperate to bring in someone because he isn't satisfied with Sean, after what we all saw on the field mid-season, then either his there is more to his injury or he's having off the field problems.

I mean, if we were looking at a star player who was transferring because of a coaching change... heck if we were looking at either of the guys from Texas A&M, I could see rolling the dice even if he was happy with Sean, because they might be a better option, but if Gus is strongly pursuing a cast off who has one year to play, spent most of last year on the bench, and is interception prone, there has to be more to it than on the field evaluation based on this years play.

It's possible Gus is not sure Sean's body can handle SEC physicality. If so that would be a lefit field concern.

The foot was the bigger & more impoctful injury.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but looking at another transfer tells me that Gus is probably equally, if not more, dissatisfied with potential back ups than Sean. Not defending Sean, just saying he's probably looking at Sean potentially being the best QB they have NOW, and they have unproven back ups. Why not see if he can get someone better than all his quarterbacks at the moment and go from there? It's a win-win to me. If he comes in and can't beat out Sean White, then we have a slightly more known back up. If he does beat him, then we have a great back up in Sean. If any of that makes sense.

Archived