2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

This tells me that Gus still isn't sold on White for some reason.

Knee may be worse than we think. You have to notice he had no zip and accuracy issues after the injury

The foot was the bigger & more impoctful injury.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but looking at another transfer tells me that Gus is probably equally, if not more, dissatisfied with potential back ups than Sean. Not defending Sean, just saying he's probably looking at Sean potentially being the best QB they have NOW, and they have unproven back ups. Why not see if he can get someone better than all his quarterbacks at the moment and go from there? It's a win-win to me. If he comes in and can't beat out Sean White, then we have a slightly more known back up. If he does beat him, then we have a great back up in Sean. If any of that makes sense.

The question remains, if he comes in and doesn't beat out Sean, or Franklin, or a newly head shrunk Jeremy, do we have an unhappy back-up on the bench who transferred to get play time in his last year and didn't get it?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tells me that Gus still isn't sold on White for some reason.

Knee may be worse than we think. You have to notice he had no zip and accuracy issues after the injury

The foot was the bigger & more impoctful injury.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but looking at another transfer tells me that Gus is probably equally, if not more, dissatisfied with potential back ups than Sean. Not defending Sean, just saying he's probably looking at Sean potentially being the best QB they have NOW, and they have unproven back ups. Why not see if he can get someone better than all his quarterbacks at the moment and go from there? It's a win-win to me. If he comes in and can't beat out Sean White, then we have a slightly more known back up. If he does beat him, then we have a great back up in Sean. If any of that makes sense.

The question remains, if he comes in and doesn't beat out Sean, or Franklin, or a newly head shrunk Jeremy, do we have an unhappy back-up on the bench who transferred to get play time in his last year and didn't get it?

Possibly. But if he can't beat out head-case JJ then he should prooobably give up football altogether. Just sayin

I have to think, if Gus is desperate to bring in someone because he isn't satisfied with Sean, after what we all saw on the field mid-season, then either his there is more to his injury or he's having off the field problems.

I disagree with that. I thought Sean did very well for a redshirt freshman, and certainly much better than Jeremy did. But was he so good that we couldn't bring in a more experienced guy to man the helm for one year and let him grow into his body and into the offense a little more? Not in my opinion. Also, I'm of the opinion that the plan was for Sean to take over in 2017 after one more year of Jeremy anyway. (Even before he had issues on the field, I didn't subscribe to the theory that there was a significant chance he'd leave after 2015.)

I mean, if we were looking at a star player who was transferring because of a coaching change... heck if we were looking at either of the guys from Texas A&M, I could see rolling the dice even if he was happy with Sean, because they might be a better option, but if Gus is strongly pursuing a cast off who has one year to play, spent most of last year on the bench, and is interception prone, there has to be more to it than on the field evaluation based on this years play.

I'm not sure that it's fair to say that he was interception prone. He went 20-to-9, 24-to-13 and 2-to-0. Sean White, I'll remind you, went 1-to-4. If you want to point out that White had health issues, well, somehow that's a knock against Webb. Everybody keeps saying he was a backup, but that no longer seems to be a knock against Franklin, who split reps in junior college. Everybody keeps saying the one year thing, but why should we sacrifice this season if our other guys aren't ready? By the way, have you really watched his film and compared him to the other candidates?

If we're honest with him that he'll have to win the job- and as much as I'm arguing in favor of pursuing the kid, I can't imagine that we'd promise him anything other than a fair shot- and he still chooses to come here, then is that our problem?

And, as Potatoes points out: Even if White does win the job- which I firmly believe he could- are you really comfortable with our backup being either a true freshman, another true freshman for all intents and purposes who is coming off of surgery, a former starter who repeatedly failed miserably or a kid who was a 175lb 3* athlete and didn't win the job outright on his junior college team? I'm not.

I disagree with that. I thought Sean did very well for a redshirt freshman, and certainly much better than Jeremy did. But was he so good that we couldn't bring in a more experienced guy to man the helm for one year and let him grow into his body and into the offense a little more? Not in my opinion. Also, I'm of the opinion that the plan was for Sean to take over in 2017 after one more year of Jeremy anyway. (Even before he had issues on the field, I didn't subscribe to the theory that there was a significant chance he'd leave after 2015.)

Like I said in my second point, if we were going after someone who has really proven himself as a winner, I don't know that I would have an issue, but taking up a roster spot, when we are still thin in a lot of areas, with just any QB that is available is bothersome to me.

I'm not sure that it's fair to say that he was interception prone. He went 20-to-9, 24-to-13 and 2-to-0. Sean White, I'll remind you, went 1-to-4. If you want to point out that White had health issues, well, somehow that's a knock against Webb. Everybody keeps saying he was a backup, but that no longer seems to be a knock against Franklin, who split reps in junior college. Everybody keeps saying the one year thing, but why should we sacrifice this season if our other guys aren't ready? By the way, have you really watched his film and compared him to the other candidates?

Oh, I guarantee you, if he continues to throw in INT for ever 2 TDs, the pitchforks would come out. I have watched his film and it leaves me scratching my head. I mean, I realize film is highlights and not low lights, but I can't figure out how a guy who keeps picking up chunks on the ground ends up with .8 yards per carry. Did he really get sacked that much? It also doesn't show his INTs to know how egregious they were.

If we're honest with him that he'll have to win the job- and as much as I'm arguing in favor of pursuing the kid, I can't imagine that we'd promise him anything other than a fair shot- and he still chooses to come here, then is that our problem?

Only if it causes issues in the locker room.

And, as Potatoes points out: Even if White does win the job- which I firmly believe he could- are you really comfortable with our backup being either a true freshman, another true freshman for all intents and purposes who is coming off of surgery, a former starter who repeatedly failed miserably or a kid who was a 175lb 3* athlete and didn't win the job outright on his junior college team? I'm not.

I'm easily as comfortable with Franklin as a back-up as I am with Webb. After all, Franklin played more last year than Webb did, had 7 touchdowns to 2 interceptions, and no sacks. That being said, I don't know that I'm ready to believe he's the answer either.

taking up a roster spot, when we are still thin in a lot of areas, with just any QB that is available is bothersome to me.

As it would be to me if I thought that would be what we were doing by pursuing Webb. (If we even are. For the benefit of anybody else reading my drivel, lionheartkc and I are only discussing why we think it's a bad idea or not if we are.)

Oh, I guarantee you, if he continues to throw in INT for ever 2 TDs, the pitchforks would come out.

Certainly agree with you there.

I have watched his film and it leaves me scratching my head. I mean, I realize film is highlights and not low lights, but I can't figure out how a guy who keeps picking up chunks on the ground ends up with .8 yards per carry. Did he really get sacked that much? It also doesn't show his INTs to know how egregious they were.

That's one of those things that I suppose depends on the color of the lens the observer is viewing it through. This is where I have to disclose that I typically lean sunshine. Surrounding talent could easily explain a lot of sacks and some interceptions (but not a really high rate of them- we probably agree there).

I can't see a scenario where a one year guy comes in and doesn't win the job and it affecting our locker room. If I were inclined to fear such things, I'd be more worried about his winning the job being an issue. But I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm easily as comfortable with Franklin as a back-up as I am with Webb. After all, Franklin played more last year than Webb did, had 7 touchdowns to 2 interceptions, and no sacks. That being said, I don't know that I'm ready to believe he's the answer either.

A fair opinion to be sure.

I've enjoyed this back and forth, as usual. As somebody else said back upstream, it is sure to be an interesting summer.

I can't see any reason we would be interested in a QB with the following stats.

6'5"

224 lb.

23 starts in Division 1

747 attempts

459 completions

61.4% completion rate

5557 yards passing

241.6 ypg avg.

46 TDs

22 Ints

138.4 career QB Rating

Can you ? How in the world could he ever compete with all the experience our other 5 QBs have ?

Well ok, he has more D1 experience and done more than our 5 current QBs COMBINED, but still.

6'5"

224 lb.

23 starts in Division 1

747 attempts

459 completions

61.4% completion rate

5557 yards passing

241.6 ypg avg.

46 TDs

22 Ints

138.4 career QB Rating

Can you ? How in the world could he ever compete with all the experience our other 5 QBs have ?

Well ok, he has more D1 experience and done more than the our 5 current QBs COMBINED, but still.

Damn! Even I can see the sarcasm there. No yellow needed.

6'5"

224 lb.

23 starts in Division 1

747 attempts

459 completions

61.4% completion rate

5557 yards passing

241.6 ypg avg.

46 TDs

22 Ints

138.4 career QB Rating

Well ok, he has more D1 experience and done more than the our 5 current QBs COMBINED, but still.

Damn! Even I can see the sarcasm there. No yellow needed.

I know, haha. ;D

I can't see a scenario where a one year guy comes in and doesn't win the job and it affecting our locker room. If I were inclined to fear such things, I'd be more worried about his winning the job being an issue. But I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm just thinking something like Duke. If you've got a player dragging a$$ and talking crap, because things didn't work the way that they wanted, it can spread. I do think Duke had an effect on the team, early in the season... especially the receivers.

I always look at it as a risk bringing in a 1-year guy, unless you know for a fact that he's going to bring the goods.

I'm just thinking something like Duke. If you've got a player dragging a$$ and talking crap, because things didn't work the way that they wanted, it can spread. I do think Duke had an effect on the team, early in the season... especially the receivers.

I always look at it as a risk bringing in a 1-year guy, unless you know for a fact that he's going to bring the goods.

Oh, completely agree that Duke had an effect on the team. But I view that as more of the exception than the rule with transfers. Of all our guys who have been locker room problems or had legal issues since, say, 2010, he's the only one I can think of off the top of my head who was a transfer. And he wasn't a disgruntled guy who didn't win the starting job. He was just

We also have the benefit of having learned from the Duke experience (hopefully).

6'5"

224 lb.

23 starts in Division 1

747 attempts

459 completions

61.4% completion rate

5557 yards passing

241.6 ypg avg.

46 TDs

22 Ints

138.4 career QB Rating

Oh, completely agree that Duke had an effect on the team. But I view that as more of the exception than the rule with transfers. Of all our guys who have been locker room problems or had legal issues since, say, 2010, he's the only one I can think of off the top of my head who was a transfer. And he wasn't a disgruntled guy who didn't win the starting job. He was just

We also have the benefit of having learned from the Duke experience (hopefully).

I agree on the crazy part. I think he was also pissed about something. I don't know what, but crazy doesn't make a top receiver play half hearted. I think he and Gus were definitely at odds and he was letting his frustration show.

I think Gus and Robinson were at odds too.

Could be. If so, Jovon handled it a heck of a lot better than Duke, especially when he got on the field.

Nope but just looking at the roster we have 1. Deshaun Davis 2. Cameron Toney 3. Darrell Williams 4. Josh Shockley 5. Richard McBryde 6. JaViere Mitchell 7. Tre Williams 8. Daniel Pond 9. Chase Ritter 10. Jeff Holand

You forgot Atkinson. Per reports he has had the best instincts at practice of any of those guys except maybe Tre.

Yea, you have seen a picture of Atkinson. He is actually a 35 year old pretending to be a 19 year old college student.

Atkinson is listed at 6'1", 183 pounds and y'all are putting him at linebacker? If he were a QB we'd have people saying he didn't have the body to hold up to SEC play.

taking up a roster spot, when we are still thin in a lot of areas, with just any QB that is available is bothersome to me.

As it would be to me if I thought that would be what we were doing by pursuing Webb. (If we even are. For the benefit of anybody else reading my drivel, lionheartkc and I are only discussing why we think it's a bad idea or not if we are.)

Oh, I guarantee you, if he continues to throw in INT for ever 2 TDs, the pitchforks would come out.

Certainly agree with you there.

I have watched his film and it leaves me scratching my head. I mean, I realize film is highlights and not low lights, but I can't figure out how a guy who keeps picking up chunks on the ground ends up with .8 yards per carry. Did he really get sacked that much? It also doesn't show his INTs to know how egregious they were.

That's one of those things that I suppose depends on the color of the lens the observer is viewing it through. This is where I have to disclose that I typically lean sunshine. Surrounding talent could easily explain a lot of sacks and some interceptions (but not a really high rate of them- we probably agree there).

A fair opinion to be sure.

I've enjoyed this back and forth, as usual. As somebody else said back upstream, it is sure to be an interesting summer.

How do you guys do that? The multi-quote thing I mean

How do you guys do that? The multi-quote thing I mean

It can be a pain, but you just copy the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] that you see when you reply and make it surround the text that you want to quote.

Atkinson is listed at 6'1", 183 pounds and y'all are putting him at linebacker? If he were a QB we'd have people saying he didn't have the body to hold up to SEC play.

We are not putting him there as fans. That's where he has practiced @ per reports. Also I think 183 is a typo IMO

This off season is gonna be fun

Can't wait............. :-\/> :-\/>

Are we up a creek without Webb? Does Jovon have his head screwed on right?

Seriously, there's so much innuendo flying around right now, I don't know what to think...

Are you thinking another 2012? (Or at least another 2015?) if so, how long do you think it'll take for us to be good again? Are we up a creek without Webb? Does Jovon have his head screwed on right?

Seriously, there's so much innuendo flying around right now, I don't know what to think...

Hummm Clayton said off season. I expect us to be undefeated thru it.

Sorry AUwent couldn't resist.

Are you thinking another 2012? (Or at least another 2015?) if so, how long do you think it'll take for us to be good again? Are we up a creek without Webb? Does Jovon have his head screwed on right?

I was just referring to the fact that the whole offseason will consist of this whole board debating whether Gus can use a DT or PP, whether we feel comfortable with our QB situation, whether Sean can play in the SEC, and every other mindless debate about Auburn QB's. Wish we could just name a damn starter and keep him for a couple years (ex: Brandon Cox).

^On the "final 2016 class" thread E suggested that CGM liked JF3 better than Jerod Evans. That's the first time I've heard one of the mods here express confidence towards JF3 in any form, as it did not sound like he's "the guy." Hopefully they really did go after him over Evans.

I was just referring to the fact that the whole offseason will consist of this whole board debating whether Gus can use a DT or PP, whether we feel comfortable with our QB situation, whether Sean can play in the SEC, and every other mindless debate about Auburn QB's. Wish we could just name a damn starter and keep him for a couple years (ex: Brandon Cox).

You forgot linebackers........................

Archived