2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you looked at how thin our Linebacker corp is compared to other SEC schools?

You do realize that for 80% of the games we only used 2 LB positions all year. That ratio will be nearly the same for Coach Steele's D

Trying to understand the brain game is extremely hard. Some of you may remember Steve Sax, played 2nd base for the Dodgers & Yankees. One day he made a bad throw from 2nd to 1st resulting in an error. He had made this throw thousands of times. But the bad throw got in his mind and after that he could not make a decent throw to 1st and this lasted for years. JJ has a similar problem mentally. He is playing scared of making a mistake.

Sorry Cam. Not worried about 5 years down the road. I want a championship run next year. If this guy can make the plays to help us win big games I say get him. We should have the receivers to support a great passer for a change. Not getting my hopes up beause chances are Webb will be committed before he ever visits the village.

"This guy" hasn't made any plays for four years. Suddenly he's better than the guys we already have? I'm not buying it.

Well, the stats don't lie. I guess you could argue the competition level, but the fact of the matter is David Webb has performed much better than JJ or SW. Not to mention, he has more in-game experience than both.

Why would anyone be upset at this guy coming in? I think SW is the guy going forward so if anyone can come in and win the QB1 spot I think that means they are pretty good and i'm all for it.

AND if you think there is a bigger priority than QB at AU for next year then you didn't watch AU football this year.

Have you looked at how thin our Linebacker corp is compared to other SEC schools?

Nope but just looking at the roster we have 1. Deshaun Davis 2. Cameron Toney 3. Darrell Williams 4. Josh Shockley 5. Richard McBryde 6. JaViere Mitchell 7. Tre Williams 8. Daniel Pond 9. Chase Ritter 10. Jeff Holand

I know at least 2 of those guys are going to be good and who knows about the rest but as far as bodies are concerned I'm not sure we are "thin". Bama has 15 LB's returning and LSU has 10. We don't appear to be that far behind in numbers

Nope but just looking at the roster we have 1. Deshaun Davis 2. Cameron Toney 3. Darrell Williams 4. Josh Shockley 5. Richard McBryde 6. JaViere Mitchell 7. Tre Williams 8. Daniel Pond 9. Chase Ritter 10. Jeff Holand

You forgot Atkinson. Per reports he has had the best instincts at practice of any of those guys except maybe Tre.

You do realize that for 80% of the games we only used 2 LB positions all year. That ratio will be nearly the same for Coach Steele's D

And that would be great, if we had 2 top notch linebackers, and 1-2 solid backups, but right now it appears we have 1 coming back with any major potential and only one currently committed. bama is slated to have 8-9 more line backers on the bench than we do, and they only use 4 at the most.

Why would anyone be upset at this guy coming in? I think SW is the guy going forward so if anyone can come in and win the QB1 spot I think that means they are pretty good and i'm all for it.

AND if you think there is a bigger priority than QB at AU for next year then you didn't watch AU football this year.

I know at least 2 of those guys are going to be good and who knows about the rest but as far as bodies are concerned I'm not sure we are "thin". Bama has 15 LB's returning and LSU has 10. We don't appear to be that far behind in numbers

bama has 15 returning and is projected to land as many as 5 on signing day. We have 10 (I believe Shockly and Ritter are walk-ons, so really 8) and only 1 currently projected to sign with us. Also, I can only name one guy on that list who I'm even a little confident will be a standout linebacker for us... Tre Williams.

so this webb guy... Could be pretty good huh? I've made this post already before and i'll make it again. Does not matter what your personal feelings are on LB's or or QB's on roster. The fact that there is mutual interest shows that you are wrong. We may not land Webb but we are still ACTIVELY looking to solve whatever Ales our QB Spot with possibly another body.

I wouldn't begin to argue that we're "okay" at linebacker. But I also am not of the opinion that we're "okay" at quarterback, especially if our coaches don't think so.

As others have said, QB > LB.

bama has 15 returning and is projected to land as many as 5 on signing day. We have 10 (I believe Shockly and Ritter are walk-ons, so really 8) and only 1 currently projected to sign with us. Also, I can only name one guy on that list who I'm even a little confident will be a standout linebacker for us... Tre Williams.

It's not logical to compare to them. They often use 2 more LBs per play than us so they need more.

a guy freezing up is coaching imo.

It's a personal thing & often times requires a doctorate in Psychology degree to get a person out of that. Most coaches don't have that type of schooling. We do have a team psychologist & he/she is the only 1 that has a chance to get JJ out of his mental freeze.

I've seen guys with this problem as long as I've been playing sports and I haven't ever seen one fixed by a guy with a doctorate. I also haven't seen a person not overcome it.

You forgot Atkinson. Per reports he has had the best instincts at practice of any of those guys except maybe Tre.

I heard Williams and mcbryde were players

I suspect we'll see a good deal of Nickel like we did at the end of last season as well. Roberts, Matthews, Ford, and Ruffin are all in a short list of our best defenders. We slid Ford to Nickel and played some combo of the other three (with Countess in the mix last year) as a way to maximize our personnel. That's another way to minimize what we need/expect out of the LB group. Tre and Holland are already pretty solid options with experience, and Holland doubles as a solid rusher.

We're not where we need to be at LB, but our best personnel eliminates the need for three LBs at a time. That's not even including Tim Irvin, who started at Nickel for us at the start of last year (as a true Freshman).

It's not logical to compare to them. They often use 2 more LBs per play than us so they need more.

Have to disagree E. Two more per play does not justify them having 8-9 more on their roster than we do, counting our walk-ons, especially considering that they have far more than 1 returning who has already proven to be solid in the role.

We only use 1 quarterback, but most of the people here want us to have 6 on our roster. That math certainly doesn't add up.

so this webb guy... Could be pretty good huh? I've made this post already before and i'll make it again. Does not matter what your personal feelings are on LB's or or QB's on roster. The fact that there is mutual interest shows that you are wrong. We may not land Webb but we are still ACTIVELY looking to solve whatever Ales our QB Spot with possibly another body.

Here's the thing... until someone has made him an offer, which hasn't happened, the only truth about "mutual interest" is that it's internet speculation based soley on the fact that he plans to visit.

Have to disagree E. Two more per play does not justify them having 8-9 more on their roster than we do, counting our walk-ons,

You completely missed my point. Because they use 2 more LBs per play looking at the number they have on roster at all is a useless gesture. They could have 50 million LBs on roster & it still would be useless to compare. If you want to compare our LB sitch find another team that runs a 4-2-5. That would be a useful LB numbers comparison.

Here's the thing... until someone has made him an offer, which hasn't happened, the only truth about "mutual interest" is that it's internet speculation based soley on the fact that he plans to visit.

We have invited him to visit. That is important too.

Please look at your list: Three are walkons that won't see the field unless there is a horror of injuries. Two are upperclassmen that have seen only spot duty and have given no indication of big things to come. That gives us five with a CHANCE of doing big things, so probably two or three will work out. We are in a dangerous situation at LB unless the coaches can round up a couple more good prospects at the last minute.

We play three LB most plays, unless you want to call the Buck guy a DE, in which case Holland has to be taken off the above list.

Sorry Cam. Not worried about 5 years down the road. I want a championship run next year. If this guy can make the plays to help us win big games I say get him. We should have the receivers to support a great passer for a change. Not getting my hopes up beause chances are Webb will be committed before he ever visits the village.

"This guy" hasn't made any plays for four years. Suddenly he's better than the guys we already have? I'm not buying it.

Mikey, now you're just being willfully ignorant. Dude threw 20 touchdowns in 2013 to 9 interceptions as a true freshman. That's WAY more than anybody on our roster has done. He's also got a far superior frame for the position than the only QB on our roster who's shown he can do anything at all.

No, I'm being ignorant for believing what I read in this thread. So it's been two years instead of four since he made any plays. Shame on me! :) Also, I don't buy all this frame stuff for a QB. Aaron Murray at UGA comes to mind, along with any number of outstanding pro QB's with normal frames.

How in the devil would our coaches evaluate five QB's in spring practice? This guy will be behind three of them in terms of running our offense. If Gus offers him, I'll be very surprised.

He looks like a taller version of SW at a 7on7 camp. Where is the defensive pass rush??? His highlight type looks like a Spring game on repeat. I wish he could have played against LSU in their bowl game. AU will be facing the toughest schedule in college football, retooling the Oline, and breaking in young receivers. With all that being said, JF3 is still my guy.

Mikey, now you're just being willfully ignorant. Dude threw 20 touchdowns in 2013 to 9 interceptions as a true freshman. That's WAY more than anybody on our roster has done. He's also got a far superior frame for the position than the only QB on our roster who's shown he can do anything at all.

No, I'm being ignorant for believing what I read in this thread. So it's been two years instead of four since he made any plays. Shame on me! :) Also, I don't buy all this frame stuff for a QB. Aaron Murray at UGA comes to mind, along with any number of outstanding pro QB's with normal frames.

How in the devil would our coaches evaluate five QB's in spring practice? This guy will be behind three of them in terms of running our offense. If Gus offers him, I'll be very surprised.

Brees, Wilson and Murray (two of whom I've compared White to myself) are the exception in the NFL, not the rule. The average height of an NFL quarterback is 6'3. But I'm getting a little off course. If Webb displays equivalent mobility to Sean (which he seems to have, or at least had when he was a freshman) but with significantly greater height and arm length to see and throw over and around defenders and the extra mass to stay vertical after contact, then I call that a superior frame for playing the position. I would NOT take a, say, Ryan Mallett over any of the guys mentioned at the beginning of my response just because he's got a more prototypical frame for the position. And I'm not positive I'd take Webb over White, but I'd certainly give him a shot. And if he doesn't win the job outright, then I feel a lot better having him backing up White as opposed to the other guys.

While he's not more experienced in our offense than White or Johnson, he's got more experience playing college football. That doesn't guarantee that his skills will translate to our offense or that we won't otherwise ruin him, but we at least know that he doesn't freeze up when the lights come on. In that regard, he might already have a leg up on Jeremy. (Who, by the way, probably doesn't need to be evaluated- they evaluated him for 2 years and he was the best Sunday-Friday quarterback Gus has ever had. Didn't exactly work out on Saturdays.) I'm not sure who the third quarterback he'd be behind is? Queen, with his one spring camp? I'm pretty sure the entire year since then that Webb spent practicing- even in a different offense- while Queen rehabbed trumps that and then some.

That leaves Barrett (whom they have planned all along to redshirt- not a lot of evaluation to be done there) and Franklin. Now, maybe they really do plan to give Franklin more of a shot than they gave Smith (I know that he requested the move, but let's be honest, he was not going to supplant Johnson), but do they really risk anything by taking on an almost world class sprinter as a project? Also, we know that CDC- as of today, still our WR coach and not our QB coach- is going to be his coach. He was listed as an ATH by the recruiting sites. His credentials as a quarterback- and his dimensions, which have been acknowledged by the staff in terms of a special meal plan to put weight on him- pale in comparison to Webb's (and White's, and Johnson's...). I personally am not assuming that Franklin has a better shot than anybody at winning the job.

TL;DR, IMO:

-1 (Barrett will redshirt)

-1 (Queen is basically a true freshman who'd they'd also redshirt if they could)

-1 (Johnson had his shot)

2 (Looks like Franklin's going to get a shot)

+1 (Webb)

Given our production from the position in 2015, a 3-man race in 2016 hardly seems inappropriate.

Come on guys....you can't give me a legitimate reason why we would not want this guy. Big arm, mobile, quick release, and pretty dang accurate. Like I said before, insert someone like him into last year and we win atleast 3 more games.

Please look at your list: Three are walkons that won't see the field unless there is a horror of injuries. Two are upperclassmen that have seen only spot duty and have given no indication of big things to come. That gives us five with a CHANCE of doing big things, so probably two or three will work out. We are in a dangerous situation at LB unless the coaches can round up a couple more good prospects at the last minute.

We play three LB most plays, unless you want to call the Buck guy a DE, in which case Holland has to be taken off the above list.

Tre Williams, Jeff Holland and Deshaun Davis I feel will be good LB's. Cameron Toney should be average. I agree we could use some talent at the position but more players at LB is not going to correct the issues we had in 2015. The fix for that is a play maker at QB and if the coaches think this guy could be that guy then bring him on. I personally think SW is the guy to beat next year. so if a guy can come in and beat him out I believe we are in good shape.

Archived