2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

I'll just say this: With three returning QB's on the roster, a fourth signed and in school and a fifth committed to sign in February, if we need to go to the scrap pile trying to pick up a one-year band aid our staff has made a bunch of major mistakes in the recent past.

How do you even work and evaluate five QB's in one spring practice? How do you deal with having six QB's over the summer? I say use the slot on a solid high school prospect at a position of need and use the time between now and August to sort out the QB's we have on hand.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just say this: With three returning QB's on the roster, a fourth signed and in school and a fifth committed to sign in February, if we need to go to the scrap pile trying to pick up a one-year band aid our staff has made a bunch of major mistakes in the recent past.

How do you even work and evaluate five QB's in one spring practice? How do you deal with having six QB's over the summer? I say use the slot on a solid high school prospect at a position of need and use the time between now and August to sort out the QB's we have on hand.

THIS^ Preferably a Linebacker.

I really see no negative at all to signing this guy, so I'm not entirely sure what the discussion is all about. Let's reel him in.

The negative is that we have 6 spots left and bigger needs.

7 if we don't take a transfer. & no need is bigger for Gus than winning THIS YEAR & no position is more iumportant for getting that done than high quality QB play.

Signs are pointing to the staff knowing JJ is leaving, IMHO. Then you have 1 returning QB with actual SEC live game experience and 3 new comers. Webb makes sense in that situation.

Even IF he doesn't play, that means SW or JF3 is heads and shoulders better which is a win win. That's how I see it.

I really see no negative at all to signing this guy, so I'm not entirely sure what the discussion is all about. Let's reel him in.

We have NO bigger need than QB. Gus knows a hell of a lot more than the rest of us message board cowboys and if he thinks we need another QB then we need another QB.

We have NO bigger need than QB. Gus knows a hell of a lot more than the rest of us message board cowboys and if he thinks we need another QB then we need another QB.

We/Gus needs a QB that is going to win at the least 8 games. Schedule for this year is rough.

7 if we don't take a transfer. & no need is bigger for Gus than winning THIS YEAR & no position is more iumportant for getting that done than high quality QB play.

Signs are pointing to the staff knowing JJ is leaving, IMHO. Then you have 1 returning QB with actual SEC live game experience and 3 new comers. Webb makes sense in that situation.

Even IF he doesn't play, that means SW or JF3 is heads and shoulders better which is a win win. That's how I see it.

I'm with you on JJ.He is close to graduating and I could see him leaving after he gets his degree.

We/Gus needs a QB that is going to win at the least 8 games. Schedule for this year is rough.

Is DW the only guy who can get us that? If so, that says a lot about our coaches QB developing abilities. You know, Marshall and Cam aside, I really miss Brandon Cox. It feels like we've been cursed at QB since he left. Between Kodi, Kiehl, and JJ, we seem to have a black thumb on QBs.

You are correct about the 8 games. My booster friend is saying 8 or 9 with one of the wins against GA or bama. Can't lose both of these games again.

You are correct about the 8 games. My booster friend is saying 8 or 9 with one of the wins against GA or bama. Can't lose both of these games again.

Wait, you have an insider telling you how many games we will win next year? Does he own a table on the side of the street by Bourbon Street? Is he God? Best insider ever!!!

Wait, you have an insider telling you how many games we will win next year? Does he own a table on the side of the street by Bourbon Street? Is he God? Best insider ever!!!

Not quite: He is saying Gus needs to win 8 or 9 with one of those wins against our two biggest rivals to keep the flies off his butt. 6 or 7 wins ain't gonna get it.

My thoughts exactly. It should be obvious too. Give him a spot and fill up the class with our other needs, but our biggest need is QB

If we finish signing day and we have an extra spot left, then sign him up. But only if we miss on other guys that are higher priority! Who would you want more? A guy that can help you for the next 3-5 years or a one year player that may or may not ever see the field?

Sorry Cam. Not worried about 5 years down the road. I want a championship run next year. If this guy can make the plays to help us win big games I say get him. We should have the receivers to support a great passer for a change. Not getting my hopes up beause chances are Webb will be committed before he ever visits the village.

Sorry Cam. Not worried about 5 years down the road. I want a championship run next year. If this guy can make the plays to help us win big games I say get him. We should have the receivers to support a great passer for a change. Not getting my hopes up beause chances are Webb will be committed before he ever visits the village.

"This guy" hasn't made any plays for four years. Suddenly he's better than the guys we already have? I'm not buying it.

Is DW the only guy who can get us that? If so, that says a lot about our coaches QB developing abilities.

For the 2015 QBs blame can't go to the coaches. There was no way to know JJ was going to freeze up on the field & SW has a frame that makes it tough for him to handle SEC physicality. Again, not on QB development.

If we finish signing day and we have an extra spot left, then sign him up. But only if we miss on other guys that are higher priority! Who would you want more? A guy that can help you for the next 3-5 years or a one year player that may or may not ever see the field?

See. There may not be other priorities higher. Only Gus knows his roster priorities for what he wants best. Gus ain't got time for a 3-5 year guy. He needs a playmaker now at QB, whether that be DW or 1 on roster already, to save his job.

Is DW the only guy who can get us that? If so, that says a lot about our coaches QB developing abilities.

For the 2015 QBs blame can't go to the coaches. There was no way to know JJ was going to freeze up on the field & SW has a frame that makes it tough for him to handle SEC physicality. Again, not on QB development.

That's subjective, a guy freezing up is coaching imo. And both qb's still had too much of a tendency to throw the ball in bad situations imo. Neither showed the consistency to just throw the ball away when things weren't going right.

But that's my opinion and I respect yours

But what about JF3? I'm just saying, last year was not the first time a highly touted QB had an out of nowhere meltdown on us. How many times in the past have we had this exact conversation (like in 2012)? Bottom line, if we have five different QBs on our team, and not one of them is serviceable, something's up.

"This guy" hasn't made any plays for four years. Suddenly he's better than the guys we already have? I'm not buying it.

Mikey, now you're just being willfully ignorant. Dude threw 20 touchdowns in 2013 to 9 interceptions as a true freshman. That's WAY more than anybody on our roster has done. He's also got a far superior frame for the position than the only QB on our roster who's shown he can do anything at all.

Why would anyone be upset at this guy coming in? I think SW is the guy going forward so if anyone can come in and win the QB1 spot I think that means they are pretty good and i'm all for it.

AND if you think there is a bigger priority than QB at AU for next year then you didn't watch AU football this year.

I'm with Cam on this one. If there is a spot left, he's welcome to it.

Why would anyone be upset at this guy coming in? I think SW is the guy going forward so if anyone can come in and win the QB1 spot I think that means they are pretty good and i'm all for it.

AND if you think there is a bigger priority than QB at AU for next year then you didn't watch AU football this year.

Have you looked at how thin our Linebacker corp is compared to other SEC schools?

Thank you..some of this stuff is painful to read!

Thank you..some of this stuff is painful to read!

I don't know necessarily if he is better, but with two full years of successful play under his belt he is certainly a more proven QB than anyone we have on our roster currently.

a guy freezing up is coaching imo.

It's a personal thing & often times requires a doctorate in Psychology degree to get a person out of that. Most coaches don't have that type of schooling. We do have a team psychologist & he/she is the only 1 that has a chance to get JJ out of his mental freeze.

Archived