Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

14 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Agreed, and absolutely no argument here. I honestly believe he’s vastly underrated in peoples' guitarist pantheons. Rarely flashy, always just right

Absolutely. That tone... golly. Gotta love those guys who you know it's them playing even if you've never heard the song before. 

How did I not know he did Princess Bride? A lot of quality attached to that project. 

I thought about Elvis, but I kinda disqualified him since I've always had the (quite possibly mistaken) impression that his movies were just vehicles to get him and his songs on the big screen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Evocative.

Always considered the relative cultural insulation of such a narrow strip a geographical oddity.

Many Thanks.

(spelling edit)

Edited by AUinTLoosa

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'm always down to revisit a classic. 

I heard (not sure how reliable) that Sting didn't recognize the source of the tune 'til Mr. Knopfler pointed it out to him (at a party or something?)

• Like 2

Proof that I do listen to "new" music,

albeit (in this case) recorded in an old-folks home with some familiar faces.

• Like 1

The beer thread discussion sidetracked me, and supplanted my planned offering for today.

A one- (maybe one and a half?) hit wonder. As is my wont, I prefer the (second here) "B-side."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

The beer thread discussion sidetracked me, and supplanted my planned offering for today.

A one- (maybe one and a half?) hit wonder. As is my wont, I prefer the (second here) "B-side."

Both good. NOL is great.

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Just flippin' through the old YouTube...

DUDE. I whiffed on tickets at the Fox. Sold out in 15 mins or something.

Hoping for better luck w/ Isbell tickets at the Ryman. Go on sale Friday morning. 

But I really wanna see Sturgill again. I feel like he's operating on a different level than he was the first time I saw him. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

DUDE. I whiffed on tickets at the Fox. Sold out in 15 mins or something.

Hoping for better luck w/ Isbell tickets at the Ryman. Go on sale Friday morning. 

But I really wanna see Sturgill again. I feel like he's operating on a different level than he was the first time I saw him. 

I didn't even try this time. None of the dates lined up very well for me. I saw Sturgill announced that Laur was leaving the band. So the rest of their shows were gonna be a more stripped down version with SS playing lead. 

Good luck on the Isbell tickets. He's another one I'd really like to see. 

A bridge?

Continuing the NOLA theme (though modern chroniclers may consider these guys more as "snowbirds"), and

also considered (by some old farts) "formative" (i.e. crude? not as sophisticated as presented above) metal.

Edited by AUinTLoosa
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

A bridge?

Continuing the NOLA theme (though modern chroniclers may consider these guys more as "snowbirds"), and

also considered (by some old farts) "formative" (i.e. crude? not as sophisticated as presented above) metal.

Hard to argue with that fat riff. Vocals, too. No clue where this fits in the genealogy of metal in terms of "this band begat that one", but musically, yeah, I'm with it.  

The genre did get a little angrier, though.

• Like 2

Ouch

All glass shards, metal fragments, and sharp edges.

No place for us barefoot boys?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Ouch

All glass shards, metal fragments, and sharp edges.

No place for us barefoot boys?

Simultaneously one of the most succinct and apt descriptions I've ever heard of them. To answer your question, though, not really. I mean, they're not totally without melody, buuuuuuuut...

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Simultaneously one of the most succinct and apt descriptions I've ever heard of them. To answer your question, though, not really. I mean, they're not totally without melody, buuuuuuuut...

All OK.

My path has been different.

ETA - and by way of (2nd thought) possibly needed explanation?

Prefer to dig in my heels rather than my toes. Always have.

I don't like even me when I'm angry.

Don't mind me at all, however, in (lower case "l", not the party, libertarian) butt-headed, stubborn mode.

And actually often don't even notice that I've stepped barefoot on broken glass 'til it snags in the carpet when I return home.

Edited by AUinTLoosa
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Being admittedly ignorant of the genre, I woke up this am and gave’em a second try. Paid more attention to the lyrics this time. I’m afraid, again, that I’m just not going to acquire a taste for Pantera? The “anger” you reference seems thin on justifiable indignation and, to me, downright pathological. To stretch my conceit near to breaking, I wouldn’t tap my feet in their without hobnails.

Educate me some more?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Being admittedly ignorant of the genre, I woke up this am and gave’em a second try. Paid more attention to the lyrics this time. I’m afraid, again, that I’m just not going to acquire a taste for Pantera? The “anger” you reference seems thin on justifiable indignation and, to me, downright pathological. To stretch my conceit near to breaking, I wouldn’t tap my feet in their without hobnails.

Educate me some more?

Oh, no additional education needed, at least certainly not from me. I'm not qualified. And I certainly wouldn't try to convince anybody to like Pantera, of all bands. I imagine there aren't, relatively speaking, too many people who didn't make up their mind pretty quickly about those guys. There's no nuance here. It's all right there on the surface.

What I can say is that I don't really relate to them lyrically, except some broad concepts put forth in the choruses. It's more about the aural sharp edges and broken glass you mentioned for me. I'm almost always going to get hooked by the musical elements before I pay attention to the lyrics, and I often never get around to that latter part.

• Like 1

Here's one of the best/most melodic Pantera songs. Dimebag's solo is incredible. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 2

As a side note, The Great Southern Trendkill was, according to band, was recorded separately. Phil recorded the vocals in New Orleans while the band recorded the tracks in Texas. The band would send the music to Phil and he would add the vocals. That was supposed to be the period in the band when the heroin was really taking over Phil. Also, in my opinion, Dimebag is top 3-5 guitarist of all time.

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 2