Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

A little throwback to the mid ‘90s. These dudes were just so solid and smooth. ATLiens and Aquemini were on loop for me for a while during my AUburn daze 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, aubearcat said:

A little throwback to the mid ‘90s. These dudes were just so solid and smooth. ATLiens and Aquemini were on loop for me for a while during my AUburn daze 

Saw 3000 twice in ATL. Once right after I moved there, I was eating wings and drinking 22-oz Bud heavies with a buddy at JR Crickets and he was walking down the street with two girls. The next time was NYE, 2013 or 2014. We were in our local pub in East Atlanta and he was in there. Nobody bothered him. Sometime after midnight, he and I just happened to be passing each other as he was walking out. I said, "Happy New Year, brother" and shook his hand and he just smiled real warmly and said "Happy New Year" and left. As soon as he was out the door, the bar started playing Outkast and just kept playing Outkast for the rest of the time we were there. 

I also got to go to Stankonia for a fund raiser one time. Big Boi put on a 2 or 3 set show. The stage was about 6 inches off the ground. I was about 10 feet from him. Pretty surreal walking into that building. Saw platinum and gold records on the wall and everything.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Saw 3000 twice in ATL. Once right after I moved there, I was eating wings and drinking 22-oz Bud heavies with a buddy at JR Crickets and he was walking down the street with two girls. The next time was NYE, 2013 or 2014. We were in our local pub in East Atlanta and he was in there. Nobody bothered him. Sometime after midnight, he and I just happened to be passing each other as he was walking out. I said, "Happy New Year, brother" and shook his hand and he just smiled real warmly and said "Happy New Year" and left. As soon as he was out the door, the bar started playing Outkast and just kept playing Outkast for the rest of the time we were there. 

I also got to go to Stankonia for a fund raiser one time. Big Boi put on a 2 or 3 set show. The stage was about 6 inches off the ground. I was about 10 feet from him. Pretty surreal walking into that building. Saw platinum and gold records on the wall and everything.

I thought they stayed around the Atlanta area even after breaking big. The we’re making great hip hop in the midst of the whole east/west days. Amazing beats and hooks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubearcat said:

I thought they stayed around the Atlanta area even after breaking big. The we’re making great hip hop in the midst of the whole east/west days. Amazing beats and hooks. 

"The South got somethin' to say." You're absolutely right, they stepped right in the middle of New York and LA and straight up stole the belt in the mid 90s, and Atlanta never looked back. New York and LA come to Atlanta now. 

I was actually saying elsewhere that Cam Newton being Cam Newton has a lot to do with him growing up in ATL in the current era. So much drip and self-expression in the city.

• Like 1

Shocks may have posted this already, however, this is a great remake 

• Like 1

Can't believe it's been 15 years since With Teeth dropped. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Good lord. 

Yeah, Shocks. We're getting old. Some of NIN's "newer" catalog is now classic rock. 

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yeah, Shocks. We're getting old. Some of NIN's "newer" catalog is now classic rock. 

I was talking with my better half about this very same topic. And then I felt sad. 

New Deftones. Chino is one of the best, probably a top 3 vocalist for me.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:56 AM, McLoofus said:

RIP Justin Townes Earle. 

Not sure if industry people were surprised at the news but still very sad and what a talent lost. 

For those that don't know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AUDub said:

New Deftones. Chino is one of the best, probably a top 3 vocalist for me.

Idk how I like this one yet. 

Deftones put on a great show though. They opened for Godsmack at Oak Mountain Amphitheater in like 2003? Maybe earlier. cKy was also supposed to be an opener, but Sully booted them mid-tour for one petty reason or another and replaced them with Puddle of Mudd. 

Some dude threw his wallet on stage and it had a mystery pill inside. Chino took it because of course. Their bassist was also chain smoking and was placing his lit cigs in between the strings and headstock. Only reason I went to that show was to see cKy and Deftones. Godsmack did have some cool pyro I guess. 

Edit: 2001

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deftones/2001/oak-mountain-amphitheatre-pelham-al-23cbb81b.html

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Idk how I like this one yet. 

It sounds odd initially what with the intro and breakdown being in a major key. Reminds me of Devin Townsend's eclectic stuff post Strapping Young Lad.

It took a few listens but I'm into it now. That's pretty much always the case whenever Deftones drops an album for me though.

Listen one: "eh"

Listen ten: "holy s*** this is their best album to date and everyone else needs to hear it"

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

It sounds odd initially what with the intro and breakdown being in a major key. Reminds me of Devin Townsend's eclectic stuff post Strapping Young Lad.

It took a few listens but I'm into it now. That's pretty much always the case whenever Deftones drops an album for me though.

Listen one: "eh"

Listen ten: "holy s*** this is their best album to date and everyone else needs to hear it"

I just listened to it again. Actually watched the video as well. The video is great. I’m still on the fence. I guess I want something edgier/more aggressive from them. White Pony was definitely radio friendly, but they followed up with the S/T, which was pretty hard from what I recall...and I stopped listening around then. I just looked at their discography and didn’t realize they had so many albums after White Pony. 

30 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I just listened to it again. Actually watched the video as well. The video is great. I’m still on the fence. I guess I want something edgier/more aggressive from them. White Pony was definitely radio friendly, but they followed up with the S/T, which was pretty hard from what I recall...and I stopped listening around then. I just looked at their discography and didn’t realize they had so many albums after White Pony. 

They're a weirdly polarizing band. One of those bands where they'll alter their direction every album while being unique enough that you won't mistake them for anyone else. Guess it comes with the "alt" label. I dislike the S/T with the exception of a few songs, and my favorite is divided between Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan.

The critics, meanwhile, loved the S/T and didn't like Koi No Yokan. Make of it what you will lol.

Kicker about Koi No Yokan is that it’s dedicated to the bassist you mentioned,  Chi. He died prior to its release, and a lot of the album comes through as being directly related to it, particularly "Entombed" and "What Happened to You?"

Edited by AUDub

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

They're a weirdly polarizing band. One of those bands where they'll alter their direction every album while being unique enough that you won't mistake them for anyone else. Guess it comes with the "alt" label. I dislike the S/T with the exception of a few songs, and my favorite is divided between Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan.

The critics, meanwhile, loved the S/T and didn't like Koi No Yokan. Make of it what you will lol.

Kicker about Koi No Yokan is that it’s dedicated to the bassist you mentioned,  Chi. He died prior to its release, and a lot of the album comes through as being directly related to it, particularly "Entombed" and "What Happened to You?"

Sounds very familiar to Incubus who’s flitted around bending genres and styles. Or to an even more mainstream effect, Weezer. Blue Album was a masterpiece and Pinkerton was a tad different...then straight pop rock for years. 

But back to Deftones, I can remember where I was when I heard Around the Fur, Adrenaline, and obviously White Pony. Those are the 3 albums I loved most about the band. But there was a new era of music on the horizon with emo* bands starting to emerge when S/T come out. Deftones kind of got left in the early 2000s. 

*Just to be that guy, the “emo” of the mid 2000s is not proper emo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Sounds very familiar to Incubus who’s flitted around bending genres and styles. Or to an even more mainstream effect, Weezer. Blue Album was a masterpiece and Pinkerton was a tad different...then straight pop rock for years. 

I was a huge Incubus fan for a while. Make Yourself and Morning View were my soundtrack on the bus when traveling for football and soccer. Then just sort of tuned out after Light Grenades and haven't really gotten back into them since

Never got into Weezer. They're actually big among Zoomers though. My 15 year old daughter listens to them a freaking lot.

But back to Deftones, I can remember where I was when I heard Around the Fur, Adrenaline, and obviously White Pony. Those are the 3 albums I loved most about the band. But there was a new era of music on the horizon with emo* bands starting to emerge when S/T come out. Deftones kind of got left in the early 2000s. 

They did continue evolving though and one of the good things is that there's an album for whatever mood you're in. 

Very diverse opinions among the fan base on ranking the albums. For some Koi no Yokan or Diamond Eyes might be their opus while for others those are near the bottom. White Pony will always be near the top, which makes sense, because, hey, breakout album and all that.

*Just to be that guy, the “emo” of the mid 2000s is not proper emo. 

I regret that I actually still have a Hawthorne Heights album lying around somewhere. What a strange era that was. It was derivative crap but I enjoyed it for a little while there.

• Dislike 1

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Riley Gale of Power Trip died yesterday. I’ve never heard of him or the band until now. Holy s*** it’s good. Hardcore/thrash goodness. @McLoofuswould probably enjoy. 

You guessed correctly and also TIA for curating my new gym playlist.