Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

The San Francisco Symphony and Metallica have done a marvelous job with their combined efforts. This is one I really enjoy from the new one released today. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Love 1

The only reason WAP is funny is because of a certain right wing pundit's reaction to it.

But yeah it's a stupid song with vapid lyrics and I hate that it hit in the first place. Says a lot about the state of pop culture. 

• Dislike 1

On 8/28/2020 at 10:48 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

So WAP is awful. How about some uplifting hip hop for young women instead?

Paraphrasing Jason Isbell, there's only one word in that song I never want my daughter repeating and it doesn't start with P.

No, I don't like thinking about her talking like that or obviously engaging in any of that activity, but by the same token I do want her to know that she's in charge of *every* situation she's in, unless she just chooses not to be. A lot of women see empowerment in that song. They see women saying the same kinds of things men have for years.

But lol no it is not a "good" song. Oh goodness, no. 

• Like 1

@ShocksMyBrain, I just realized I hadn't asked Mrs. Loof about it. This was her response:

grosses me out. I'm all for female empowerment but I also prefer to subscribe to a lady in the street

I know you're not trying to start a big conversation here. Just thought I'd share another perspective.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

@ShocksMyBrain, I just realized I hadn't asked Mrs. Loof about it. This was her response:

I know you're not trying to start a big conversation here. Just thought I'd share another perspective.

My wife loves the song for some reason, I think she thinks it’s satire. But knowing Cardi B and Meg Thee Stallion, I had to tell her it’s not. But then again, she really likes Bert Kreisher. Being as liberal and gung-ho feminist she is, she surprises me still sometimes.

• Like 1

I've posted this song before but thought I would post again with some the lyrics and man both my granddad's could tell stories. My grandfather on my Mom's side was a bastard child born in 1885 raise by his two old spinster aunts. He grew up to be a 6'4" man tough as nails and no one messed with Mr Ollie as well as my grandmother Miss Bessie he built he own 8 bedroom house, he had 10 kids, and had a 3,000 acre farm in northwest Al. All from a man who started out in life being call a bastard child with no parents. He also was a Lincoln Republican in the deep south which back then was unheard of and really not very safe to be if you know what I mean.

Poor old granddad
I laughed at all his words
I thought he was a bitter man
He spoke of woman's ways
They'll trap you, then they use you
Before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind
Don't ever let it show
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
When I was stronger
The can can's such a pretty show
They'll steal your heart away
But backstage, back on earth again
The dressing rooms are gray
They come on strong and it ain't too long
Before they make you feel a man
But love is blind and you soon will find
You're just a boy again
When you want her lips, you get a cheek
Makes you wonder where you are
If you want some more and she's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I've posted this song before but thought I would post again with some the lyrics and man both my granddad's could tell stories. My grandfather on my Mom's side was a bastard child born in 1885 raise by his two old spinster aunts. He grew up to be a 6'4" man tough as nails and no one messed with Mr Ollie as well as my grandmother Miss Bessie he built he own 8 bedroom house, he had 10 kids, and had a 3,000 acre farm in northwest Al. All from a man who started out in life being call a bastard child with no parents. He also was a Lincoln Republican in the deep south which back then was unheard of and really not very safe to be if you know what I mean.

Poor old granddad
I laughed at all his words
I thought he was a bitter man
He spoke of woman's ways
They'll trap you, then they use you
Before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind
Don't ever let it show
When I was younger
When I was stronger
The can can's such a pretty show
They'll steal your heart away
But backstage, back on earth again
The dressing rooms are gray
They come on strong and it ain't too long
Before they make you feel a man
But love is blind and you soon will find
You're just a boy again
When you want her lips, you get a cheek
Makes you wonder where you are
If you want some more and she's

Great song, better story.

• Thanks 1

My vacation starts today! I've been working through all the covid crap. Had a trip to the Ozarks planned. Airlines let me down. Taking a walk about with backpack and tent. Probably end up at Ft. Pickens ,Pensacola Beach. The Smoke drops a new one. I'm out of here dude! 

• Like 1

Fripp still doing his own thing. Hate that he's 74 and we don't have too much longer with this legend.

One of his Soundscapes. Everything here done with his guitar and effect pedals. 

Korn and Yela covered some CDB. 

Can't believe I forgot to post about Toots passing last Friday he was considered one of the founders of raggae beautiful voice. I was lucky to see him once in a very small concert while working in Jamaica

Toots Hibbert, an influential and veteran Jamaican ska and reggae singer and founder of the band the Maytals, has died. He was 77. The cause of death is as yet unclear, though he had been recently tested for Covid-19.

A statement from his family released on Sept. 11 reads: “It is with the heaviest of hearts to announce that Frederick Nathaniel ‘Toots’ Hibbert passed away peacefully tonight, surrounded by his family at the University Hospital of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica.

“The family and his management team would like to thank the medical teams and professionals for their care and diligence, and ask that you respect their privacy during their time of grief.”

The youngest of seven children, Hibbert’s parents were both Seventh-Day Adventist ministers and he grew up singing in church. He moved to the country’s capital of Kingston as a teenager and formed the first version of the Maytals in the early 1960s. Over the following 10 years the group recorded with a series of producers that reads like a reggae hall of fame: Coxsone Dodd, Prince Buster, Byron Lee, Leslie Kong — and reeled off Hibbert compositions like “Bam Bam,” “Sweet and Dandy” and “54-46 That’s My Number,” which was inspired by a mid-‘60s prison term he served for marijuana possession.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Great song told the story many times of going to a small and I mean small bar in West Palm Beach and Gregg shows up and plays with the band on stage. Stoned/drunk out of his frickin head. May have been 20 people in the bar. He played for 2 hours.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Don't think I ever told this story. The pharmaceutical wholesales I was working for was headquarted in Orange County Ca. they always did something special for our national meetings. This particular year they held it at Hilton Anaheim Ca. next to Disneyland. So the big shots finished giving their speeches and the president was just about finished and then boom in coming this band playing this song marching all thru the room. 

And yes with their cheerleaders. Oh we also had Ms. America at the same meeting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't think I ever told this story. The pharmaceutical wholesales I was working for was headquarted in Orange County Ca. they always did something special for our national meetings. This particular year they held it at Hilton Anaheim Ca. next to Disneyland. So the big shots finished giving their speeches and the president was just about finished and then boom in coming this band playing this song marching all thru the room. 

And yes with their cheerleaders. Oh we also had Ms. America at the same meeting.

Is your heart healthy enough for all that?

On 8/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Sounds very familiar to Incubus who’s flitted around bending genres and styles. Or to an even more mainstream effect, Weezer. Blue Album was a masterpiece and Pinkerton was a tad different...then straight pop rock for years. 

But back to Deftones, I can remember where I was when I heard Around the Fur, Adrenaline, and obviously White Pony. Those are the 3 albums I loved most about the band. But there was a new era of music on the horizon with emo* bands starting to emerge when S/T come out. Deftones kind of got left in the early 2000s. 

*Just to be that guy, the “emo” of the mid 2000s is not proper emo. 

One spin through and the new album is an absolute banger. Awesome. No wonder the reviews have been outrageously positive. 

16 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Write. The. Damned. Memoirs.

I mean, good lord, do we have to start a GoFundMe or something? 

• Haha 1

All the vocals and sounds are by this guy.  Really like his Beach Boys harmonies.