AU trying to go All IN on Athletic facility upgrades across the board

ellitor

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

And just like that,. We fell behind.  Lol.   And look a rendering from inside the stadium by the dogs.  

Been behind for at least 10 years. Behind BOTH Mississippi schools now. 

14 hours ago, keesler said:

It's a battle folks!  AU better get the BIG Guns out now.

The screen, new football facility, and renovations to the north end-zone will put us right back at the top. 

On 1/26/2017 at 5:52 PM, AUDevil said:

Recruits care about the outside appearance.  FSU's massive brick stadium is a big recruiting tool.  It has an impressive appearance which wows recruits. Their facilities on the inside are blah...but the look on the outside gives a wow factor.

The massive brick stadiums, like Doak Campbell and Kyle Field are today, are certainly popular now. Much of JHS' design heralds from the late 1970s and early 1980s upper deck expansions, which was the era of stark white concrete. Back then, brick looked dated. I remember how old the brick east side of JHS looked when I was there compared to the west side, and how much fresher it looked when the east upper deck was completed. I also remember how old I thought Tiger Stadium looked at LSU in 1988. Of course, at one time, exposed girders were all the rage. Architecture is fashion. But fashion matters, especially to young people.

We should look at refreshing the design of JHS. Certainly some of the tweaks we have made have softened the starkness the stadium used to have. The south end zone project would be an opportunity to refresh all of the south end zone, perhaps put a brick facade in front of the AubieTron pillars, and a similar structure in the southeast corner to mirror the new structure in the southwest corner, if only for additional bathrooms, concession stands, etc.

I also wonder if it is possible to apply brick slips to the concrete slab panels on the east and west upper decks. Wrapping them in a true brick veneer would probably be too challenging, but a applying a brick facade would soften the starkness of the concrete.

The north end zone would be tough to update unless it is totally redone, but perhaps some banners or something could break up the starkness of the steel girders.

Miami needs another $3 million and they will break ground on their $34 million indoor practice facility. Ritch even ponied up a cool million. Does the weather ever really get so bad they can't practice outdoors, even during an actual hurricane are u practicing inside? Really?

8 hours ago, meh130 said:

The massive brick stadiums, like Doak Campbell and Kyle Field are today, are certainly popular now. Much of JHS' design heralds from the late 1970s and early 1980s upper deck expansions, which was the era of stark white concrete. Back then, brick looked dated. I remember how old the brick east side of JHS looked when I was there compared to the west side, and how much fresher it looked when the east upper deck was completed. I also remember how old I thought Tiger Stadium looked at LSU in 1988. Of course, at one time, exposed girders were all the rage. Architecture is fashion. But fashion matters, especially to young people.

We should look at refreshing the design of JHS. Certainly some of the tweaks we have made have softened the starkness the stadium used to have. The south end zone project would be an opportunity to refresh all of the south end zone, perhaps put a brick facade in front of the AubieTron pillars, and a similar structure in the southeast corner to mirror the new structure in the southwest corner, if only for additional bathrooms, concession stands, etc.

I also wonder if it is possible to apply brick slips to the concrete slab panels on the east and west upper decks. Wrapping them in a true brick veneer would probably be too challenging, but a applying a brick facade would soften the starkness of the concrete.

The north end zone would be tough to update unless it is totally redone, but perhaps some banners or something could break up the starkness of the steel girders.

Actually those are all good ideas. But we are going to have to draw up several sets of plans. We'll need to survey our fans and donors just to make sure we have all their input. Then we'll need to study all this, we need to think about it, then we will need to give the go ahead to the fans. But just to be sure, we might need to repeat the process and ponder all this again, several times in fact, just to be safe. This all takes time.

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Miami needs another $3 million and they will break ground on their $34 million indoor practice facility. Ritch even ponied up a cool million. Does the weather ever really get so bad they can't practice outdoors, even during an actual hurricane are u practicing inside? Really?

Its not the rain as much as its the lighting.......Fl. is the lighting capital of the world......trust me on this playing golf in Fl especially in the afternoon can be damn right deadly. I believe Miami has had to actually cancel practices due to lighting a lot

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Actually those are all good ideas. But we are going to have to draw up several sets of plans. We'll need to survey our fans and our donors just to make sure we have all their input. Then we'll need to study this, we need to think about it, then we need to give the go ahead to the fans. But we might need to repeat the process just to be safe, several times in fact. This all takes time.

Gonna need to do at least a half a dozen feasibility studies and bring on a committee or two in the process.  Then canvas the fan base again to see if they are willing to open those wallets and pay for what they "say" they want to enhance the "Game Day Experience."  After all of that's done, we'll have to crunch the numbers from the final feasibility study and then hope like hell it will fly when we take it before the BOT for presentation and God willing it'll get final approval.  This all takes time...and studies....and plans .... and survey's ...and committee's.  

The last thing we need to do is fly off the handle and jump out and actually sling brick 'n mortar like Clemson/Miami/Louisville/Tennessee/MSU/OleMiss/UGA/LSU/aTm.

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Its not the rain as much as its the lighting.......Fl. is the lighting capital of the world......trust me on this playing golf in Fl especially in the afternoon can be damn right deadly

wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp931dc558.png

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gonna need to do at least a half a dozen feasibility studies and bring on a committee or two in the process.  Then canvas the fan base again to see if they are willing to open those wallets and pay for what they "say" they want to enhance the game day experience.  After all of that's done, we'll have to crunch the numbers from the final feasibility study and then hope like hell it will fly when we take it before the BOT for presentation and God willing it'll get final approval.  This all takes time...and studies....and committee's.

Money is there but not with JJ in charge

16 hours ago, keesler said:

Gonna need to do at least a half a dozen feasibility studies and bring on a committee or two in the process.  Then canvas the fan base again to see if they are willing to open those wallets and pay for what they "say" they want to enhance the "Game Day Experience."  After all of that's done, we'll have to crunch the numbers from the final feasibility study and then hope like hell it will fly when we take it before the BOT for presentation and God willing it'll get final approval.  This all takes time...and studies....and plans .... and survey's ...and committee's.  

The last thing we need to do is fly off the handle and jump out and actually sling brick 'n mortar like Clemson/Miami/Louisville/Tennessee/MSU/OleMiss/UGA/LSU/aTm.

Sarcasm?

Archived