AU trying to go All IN on Athletic facility upgrades across the board

ellitor

10 hours ago, meh130 said:

A couple of thoughts:

This is a "redux" of the North End Zone project. That would have included a new home locker room and a relocated press box, in addition to the other stuff.

Maybe this is not so bad, in that a future north end zone expansion can focus on seating, etc. I could also see a future north end zone relocating the press box again, the southeast corner press box being converted to suites. But the idea of ground level club seats adjacent to the home locker room is probably gone for good.

As for "balancing" the stadium, I agree aesthetically this is a good idea. But the problem for that is the southeast corner is in the middle of the fenced-off student section. A building behind the seating for some purpose might be feasible. I am not sure what a top corner box or seating would be. A few suites might work, but how would they be accessed?

Yeah, even the appendage doesn't go to the video scoreboard structure, it stops short for no apparent reason. There's now a gap between the building and the scoreboard that they are building a wall with a gate?  Not that great

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, keesler said:

I agree, I'm not a fan of piece-mill type work as I like a balanced/cohesive design that looks like Auburn University does things first class.

But honestly at this point, I'm just hopeful that the BOT will approve this little corner piece that's needed even if it doesn't flow visually.

Agree about the balanced/ cohesive point.  Definitely want to avoid the type of asthetic nightmare similar to Soldier Field where you had a classic stadium that now looks like some UFO landed on it. As long as there is a well conceived and designed plan the fact that it happens in phases won't be too bad. 

11 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Think University of Cincinnati s new buildings around their stadium, or some of University of Oregon's football facilities. 

I'll take a look at them....

LATER
Wow... the certainly don't make it easy to find pictures of the outside of Cincinnati's stadium.  I think I found what you are talking about.  I like it, but I imagine that a huge chunk of the Auburn fan base would be very upset to see something so modern looking in the middle of campus. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll take a look at them....

LATER
Wow... the certainly don't make it easy to find pictures of the outside of Cincinnati's stadium.  I think I found what you are talking about.  I like it, but I imagine that a huge chunk of the Auburn fan base would be very upset to see something so modern looking in the middle of campus. 

What?????? Have you seen renderings of the new business building that are in the works? The student center? Pretty dang modern structures. Likewise for the new arena and workout facility. 

38 minutes ago, logan adams said:

What?????? Have you seen renderings of the new business building that are in the works? The student center? Pretty dang modern structures. Likewise for the new arena and workout facility. 

No... I haven't.  I would certainly like to.  If they are super modern, I can imagine the purists being all up in arms about it.

2 hours ago, logan adams said:

Theres modern and then theres really modern. Auburn is good about presenting a modern building while incorporating the brick from around campus. Here is a link for Cincinnati's stadium update. I like it for them, but I agree it might not fit in with the campus. I think some metal accents covering the jumbotron could work well with the brick/glass look in the renderings. Anything is better than the 90's big screen TV vibe we have now. 

http://www.archdaily.com/770748/aro-and-heery-design-nippert-stadium-expansion-for-university-of-cincinnati

My wish is to have the look of the north end zone renovation wrapped completely around the stadium. Giving the stadium the feel that it was built all at once. But this is solely about vanity not practicality.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:59 AM, lionheartkc said:

No... I haven't.  I would certainly like to.  If they are super modern, I can imagine the purists being all up in arms about it.

Yeah. I imagine if they used a darker metal it would disappear making the brick more prominent. Could use the same metal to cover up the northside until they renovate that.

Check out UCLA s new football facility. Pretty slick.

After looking at those photos of UC I fully support going back to the drawing board. We have a lot work to do on our stadium. I think we are aiming really low.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:02 AM, AU64 said:

We are spending fortunes on shiny toys for these guys and I have yet to read of a kid going to a competitive school because of stadium size or the jumbotron.

or a ride in a 180K sports car

On 1/28/2017 at 0:53 PM, Randman5000 said:

Yeah. I imagine if they used a darker metal it would disappear making the brick more prominent. Could use the same metal to cover up the northside until they renovate that.

Check out UCLA s new football facility. Pretty slick.

After looking at those photos of UC I fully support going back to the drawing board. We have a lot work to do on our stadium. I think we are aiming really low.

UCLA's football facility looks really retro-modern.  It's been ages since I've been on their campus, but I'm guessing that was a conscious choice to keep it within the overall look.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, lionheartkc said:

More like beams.  The structure that spans the widened concourse will be built with the necessary specs to support the boxes that will eventually be built on top.

Well, you can't add additional loading like that unless the foundation can support it. Isn't there like an underground river under the stadium?

2 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Well, you can't add additional loading like that unless the foundation can support it. Isn't there like an underground river under the stadium?

I haven't heard anything about an underground river.  I know it has an advanced drainage system, which seems like it would be less than functional with a river running below it.  I would also think that no one would approve building a structure of that size over ground that was naturally eroding. 

As for the foundation, I would hope that it is already substantial enough to handle the addition, but if not, I would imagine it would be part of the widening process.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I haven't heard anything about an underground river.  I know it has an advanced drainage system, which seems like it would be less than functional with a river running below it.  I would also think that no one would approve building a structure of that size over ground that was naturally eroding. 

As for the foundation, I would hope that it is already substantial enough to handle the addition, but if not, I would imagine it would be part of the widening process.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at.

I saw a couple of pics of Clemson's new facility on a scroll on ESPN.com the other day.  They have a slide from 2nd level to the first level, and a replica hill that matches the stadium inside the facility as well.  It looked fun!

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article128265679.html

After watching video, they literally have just about everything in that facility and would be a draw to me if I was a recruit.

21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I saw a couple of pics of Clemson's new facility on a scroll on ESPN.com the other day.  They have a slide from 2nd level to the first level, and a replica hill that matches the stadium inside the facility as well.  It looked fun!

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article128265679.html

After watching video, they literally have just about everything in that facility and would be a draw to me if I was a recruit.

And we don't even have enough lockers for the players.......hummmmm

Feb. 3, 2017

By Jeff Shearer
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - Now that Auburn University’s Board of Trustees has approved the stadium renovation project, the work begins for Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs.

“We have to keep pushing,” Jacob said. “I really appreciate the president and trustees approving our proposal so we can move forward.”

Scheduled to be completed before the 2018 football season, the project will create a new recruiting lounge and football locker room in the southwest corner of Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“We’re going to have a great area to recruit our prospective student-athletes for all sports,” Jacobs said. “I want to be able to tell a story inside that room.”

The recruiting area will feature Auburn’s three Heisman trophies, two national championship trophies and apparel from Under Armour.

“We want to be able to sign the right kind of person who understands what Auburn is,” Jacobs said. “We’re all about family. We have a certain culture here, so they’ll have a great experience when they walk away from Auburn with their degree in hand and a championship ring on their finger, and they’ll say – like 90% of our graduates say today – ‘I’d do it all over again.’ That’s the kind of environment we want to create.”

Above the new structure will be two floors of club level seating, featuring video monitors, catering, heating and air conditioning.

“Everything is student-athlete centered,” Jacobs said. “What can we do to give them a better experience? One way you do that is by having a full stadium. This is one step in making sure that our fans continue to come to our games by providing them an amenity they don’t currently have.”

Because the new project is a stand-alone structure, Jacobs says construction will be able to take place throughout the 2017 season. 

spacer.gif

A new press box will sit atop the club levels in the southwest corner, potentially allowing more premium seating where the current press box resides at midfield.

“We plan to take that back to the Board as soon as we look at our pro forma and know that this will work, and we expect it to,” Jacobs said. “Because that is some great seating right there on the 50-yard line and the Auburn fans need to take advantage of those.”

Jacobs hopes to present the press box renovation project to the Board of Trustees later this year. Pending approval, construction would begin after the 2017 season.

“The plan would be, at the start of the 2018 season, to have this new facility in the southwest corner with the press box relocated, and a new premium seating area for our fans where our current press box is," Jacobs said. 

Auburn initially considered including the recruiting and locker room upgrades as part of a larger north end zone renovation, but Jacobs says the potential return on investment diminished its feasibility.

“When we looked at the north end zone, the pro forma would not support some of these structures that are non revenue-producing, such as a new locker room and recruiting lounge, so we pulled those out and we said, ‘Let’s just build it in the south as a stand-alone building,” he said. 

“That’s how this came about. We want to make sure we do things right. Not necessarily the biggest, we just want it to be the best. 

“We know that after going through this study for the last couple years, when we build this facility in the south end, it will be the best there is in the Southeastern Conference.”

Jacobs says key donors have already pledged $10 million of the $28 million cost.

“We’re going to ask the Auburn Family to support this financially,” Jacobs said. “They’ve always answered the call when we’ve presented a project that benefits our student-athletes and the culture and reputation of Auburn. This will be no different. We’re going to demonstrate to them why they should and what the reward is for that.”

Naming opportunities are available for the recruiting lounge, locker room, club levels and press box.

“My focus is on the student-athletes,” Jacobs said. “I want them to have the best facilities. We believe that having great facilities adds to a better experience for our student-athletes and it creates higher expectations.

“When we have winning facilities, it creates a mindset that our student-athletes, our coaches and the Auburn Family know that we expect to win.”

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020317aac.html

3 hours ago, logan adams said:

Love how a year or so ago the Aviation program was on the chopping block and now it's getting a building.  I don't think I'll ever understand bureaucracy. 

5 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I still would love to see a rendering from inside the stadium.   

I hope they come out with a video giving a run through. 

15 hours ago, logan adams said:

I hope they come out with a video giving a run through. 

It must already exist...   I would think that would have been part of the approval process.  We just are not privy to it yet.  

3 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

It must already exist...   I would think that would have been part of the approval process.  We just are not privy to it yet.  

You are probably right. I just want it to release soon. Maybe they will after the bid date. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well thUGa is following suit  link

Georgia is willing to take the next step toward becoming one of the SEC programs with elite football facilities following the announcement of plans to build a new players locker room and recruiting lounge inside Sanford Stadium. The renovations are expected to be completed by the 2018 football season.

According to athletic director Greg McGarity, the project is expected to cost no more than $63 million, with Georgia footing the bill for $10 million.

UGA athletic board will be asked to approve West end zone project to include new home locker room & recruiting room in time for '18 season.

@marcweiszer McGarity said the project won't exceed. $63 million. Will come from $10 million in reserves and $53 million in private gifts.

Georgia plans on moving the player’s locker room from the east side of Sanford Stadium to the west side. The new recruiting lounge will be situated above the new locker rooms, allowing the coaching staff to easily transition between the two during game days and during recruiting visits.

Here’s an image of what the stadium should look like when the renovations are complete.

This is what west end zone project is expected to look like upon completion.

The massive recruiting lounge/pavilion above the locker room will seat up to 500 people and is projected to be 10,575 square feet large. More than enough room to accommodate the high number of elite recruits and their families that Georgia plans to pursue in the future.

Plans show a "recruiting pavilion" that will be above the locker room.

One thing is clear from these plans, Georgia is fully ready to compete with any school in the SEC and around the nation when it comes to the facility arms race around major college football.

Archived