AU trying to go All IN on Athletic facility upgrades across the board

ellitor

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nick had lots of "help" to get him where he is at this point. Lots of "help". 

I agree with you I said getting people to the NFL was one of the reasons I did not say it was the only reason. I understand the REC and the shady recruiting.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn University is planning to build a new $28 million game day facility in Jordan Hare Stadium.

The new 44,000-square-foot facility will be built in southwest corner of the stadium, and the project will include a 16,000-square-foot renovation of Auburn’s football locker rooms, according to documents included with Auburn University’s board of trustees meeting agenda.

The new facility will also include a recruiting space for football and Olympic sports, a new club space for fans and a new press box for the media.

If approved by Auburn’s board of trustees at its Feb. 3 meeting, the project will begin May and end in July 2018.

The facility is part of Jordan-Hare Improvement initiative the board of trustees adopted in 2015.

The $28 million cost of the project will be paid for by Auburn University Athletics Department funds.

Source

Maybe this "upgrade" is needed but the old stadium needs more upgrades then just this corner.  I think it's time to move past the bandaids and do a complete renovation to the entire stadium regardless if seating increases or not.  

It looks like it will be a great addition. Reading the article it says the hope is to enhance the gameday experience for the fans. I'm sure it will but winning is my most important criteria for a great gameday experience. :wareagle: All is good if that happens. 

The enhancement won't be for the common fan.  It will move the press and a few suites into that corner area opening up the old press box area to be more like the the east suites.  Also yet another new locker room and recruiting center as well. Didn't we just redo the locker rooms like 6 years ago?

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

The enhancement won't be for the common fan.  It will move the press and a few suites into that corner area opening up the old press box area to be more like the the east suites.  Also yet another new locker room and recruiting center as well. Didn't we just redo the locker rooms like 6 years ago?

Yes. But that was a disaster. AU has varsity letterman football players who don't have lockers and have to use a bench to get dressed. Only team in the SEC that has this problem.

This upgrade is all about recruiting. Which is sorely needed. This is great news. 

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My bad. I went back and read it again. The fan experience portion is on a larger scope than this project. 

Just now, gr82be said:

My bad. I went back and read it again. The fan experience portion is on a larger scope than this project. 

That one is still DOA. Fingers crossed that we will see some movement on this once the new president is hired. 

44 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes. But that was a disaster. AU has varsity letterman football players who don't have lockers and have to use a bench to get dressed. Only team in the SEC that has this problem.

This upgrade is all about recruiting. Which is sorely needed. This is great news. 

This is great and all, but does this just shatter the plans for the north endzone?

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is great news, and I hope the BOT approves this thing next week so they can commence construction.

Seriously. If not approved right away, I question if the BOT is a bunch of bammers. This is absolutely essential. We also need to get the other endzone completed. 

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Yet leave the exposed beams for the screen... At least brick it up.

I bet that's an architectural nightmare. That beam structure probably vibrates like crazy with a combination of wind on the screen and the speakers from the sound system. My guess is any skinning structure will have to provide plenty of clearance for motion or it would have structural issues pretty quickly.  In other words, it's probably not as simple as "brick it up".

3 hours ago, aufan57 said:

So was this initiative part of the COMPLETE Upgrade plan in 2015? And the other major part is the North Endzone massive upgrade which was delayed until we are ready to fund and pay for it. Right? 

We should have been behind in football upgrading Jordan-Hare as far back as in the mid 2000s. But everytime someone would Jacobs about adding more seats or upgrading J-H in other ways, Jay would say "We have no plans to do any upgrading like adding more seats or anything else. This is why we are as far behind other schools in keeping our stadium up to date.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I bet that's an architectural nightmare. That beam structure probably vibrates like crazy with a combination of wind on the screen and the speakers from the sound system. My guess is any skinning structure will have to provide plenty of clearance for motion or it would have structural issues pretty quickly.  In other words, it's probably not as simple as "brick it up".

Good point, I didn't think about vibration.I started trying to find other stadiums with large scoreboards and even brand new stadiums like Levi's stadium just leave the screen support exposed. Image result for levi's stadium screen

We are so far behind in football upgrading Jordan-Hare as far back as in the mid 2000s. But everytime someone would ask Jacobs about adding more seats or upgrading J-H in other ways, Jay would say "We have no plans to do any upgrade our stadium like adding more seats or anything else. This is why we are as far behind other schools in keeping our stadium up to date.

36 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So was this initiative part of the COMPLETE Upgrade plan in 2015? And the other major part is the North Endzone massive upgrade which was delayed until we are ready to fund and pay for it. Right? 

It sounds like it based on quotes in there. Mentioning how this covered 2/3rds of areas of improvement. I'm confused as to what will come of the north endzone now. I thought the new locker room was going to be brought to the north endzone. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

that project is dead until JJ is gone

Why? It seems as though they have this whole master plan coming in phases.

11 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Why? It seems as though they have this whole master plan coming in phases.

anyone can have a master plan, but money will not come his way.  Why do you think that we fell this far behind?  Gogue don't care and JJ is not gonna get the money.

This thing looks somewhat like a standalone building adjacent to the Stadium?  Is that correct?  It looks nice, but is somewhat awkward seeing as how it just sits in a corner.   I am interested to see what it looks like from inside the stadium...

i like moving the press boxes... I like that a lot,. But the stadium is off balance now IMO... I hope the plan to do something similar on the other side of the south endzone.   

Archived