Riley Cole

JMassie11

So meanwhile is there any kind of list of guys who are prospective GTrans at LB who might look our way? Or do we just wait until the phone rings?

Most GTs make their intentions known to transfer after NSD & after Spring semester in some cases.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how they would think he isn't worth a spot after what he did last summer. I'm flabbergasted

Because of course if you are good on the camp circuit it means you are going to be a total bad ass in a real game since there is no such thing as a camp warrior.

Bottom line is whether we like it or not, agree or not, 2 defensive staffs now have looked at his game film and did not like what they saw enough to offer, Period.

E, this is not directed at you and I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I realize you are searching for answers like the rest of us. However, of the two coaching staffs that apparently don't think he is worthy, one of them is likely going to have three 5* signees at his position and still offered him a grayshirt. The other has one 3* (no offense Tre) and possibly another 3* that was previously deemed as not physical enough for safety (no offense SDjr).

So meanwhile is there any kind of list of guys who are prospective GTrans at LB who might look our way? Or do we just wait until the phone rings?

Most GTs make their intentions known to transfer after NSD & after Spring semester in some cases.

Are we allowed to contact GTs who have announced their intent to transfer or do we still have to wait for them to call us?

I don't understand how they would think he isn't worth a spot after what he did last summer. I'm flabbergasted

Because of course if you are good on the camp circuit it means you are going to be a total bad ass in a real game since there is no such thing as a camp warrior.

Bottom line is whether we like it or not, agree or not, 2 defensive staffs now have looked at his game film and did not like what they saw enough to offer, Period.

E, this is not directed at you and I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I realize you are searching for answers like the rest of us. However, of the two coaching staffs that apparently don't think he is worthy, one of them is likely going to have three 5* signees at his position and still offered him a grayshirt. The other has one 3* (no offense Tre) and possibly another 3* that was previously deemed as not physical enough for safety (no offense SDjr).

I was only talking about the 2 AU staffs, Boom's & Steele's.

Are we allowed to contact GTs who have announced their intent to transfer or do we still have to wait for them to call us?

I have no clue. But mutual interest in these cases almost always get connected somehow.

Ok, thanks E. My frustration is not over one particular recruit anyway but more LB recruiting in general. Anyway, it's a tired subject that no one seems to have a satisfactory answer to so I'm gonna give it a rest.

Ok, thanks E. My frustration is not over one particular recruit anyway but more LB recruiting in general. Anyway, it's a tired subject that no one seems to have a satisfactory answer to so I'm gonna give it a rest.

No. It's all good. If guys can develop LB is not a bad spot since we will still only play 2 per play 70-80% of a game. My biggest peeve is knowing from day 1 we need 2 OTs & striking out at the HS & Juco levels.

We only have 1 LB commit. Why shouldn't Gus offer Riley. Sometime those unknown guys turns out to be All Americans and All Conference players by the time their playing days are over.

My only other thoughts about a gradT are: 1) we will looking at guys who are eligible for the NFLdraft and yet are not considered as draft candidates and perhaps are not even ready for a free agent tryout.... 2) apparently they are at the margin with their own teams such that they will not improve their draft status by staying one more year at their current school or might not be a team leader or starter if a new coaching staff has arrived on the scene.

Thus......if it were me I would not be hanging my job out there on the hopes that a guy as described above.....would be able to come here and immediately become a starter. Likely it would be a condition of the gradT....that he would more or less be guaranteed to start.

And after all of that, he would only be here for one season.

And far as I know, we are not at the point where one good experienced LB or moderate capability is going to turn our Defense around.

JMO but too many negatives for me to consider this as my best option to a HS guy with promise...Cole or anyone comparable.

My only other thoughts about a gradT are: 1) we will looking at guys who are eligible for the NFLdraft and yet are not considered as draft candidates and perhaps are not even ready for a free agent tryout.... 2) apparently they are at the margin with their own teams such that they will not improve their draft status by staying one more year at their current school or might not be a team leader or starter if a new coaching staff has arrived on the scene.

Thus......if it were me I would not be hanging my job out there on the hopes that a guy as described above.....would be able to come here and immediately become a starter. Likely it would be a condition of the gradT....that he would more or less be guaranteed to start.

And far as I know, we are not at the point where one good experienced LB or moderate capability is going to turn our Defense around.

JMO but too many negatives for me to consider this as my best option to a HS guy with promise...Cole or anyone comparable.

You've got to think that there's something about Cole that we aren't seeing on paper/video that the coaches know. That or they feel supremely confident about Davis, which no one else does.

No. It's all good. If guys can develop LB is not a bad spot since we will still only play 2 per play 70-80% of a game. My biggest peeve is knowing from day 1 we need 2 OTs & striking out at the HS & Juco levels.

I was under the impression that the staff did not think we had to have an OT. They would take one if he was elite but not otherwise. There was discussion on here about not upsetting Calvin Ashley. Was I off base or did something change? Were the coaches surprised by Coleman and/or Young going pro?

1 & 2 are nowhere near a given. Your premise you based your conclusion on is very flawed. Russell Wilson was a GT to Wisky & he would have been drafted the year before out of NC State had he wanted to.

I was under the impression that the staff did not think we had to have an OT. They would take one if he was elite but not otherwise. There was discussion on here about not upsetting Calvin Ashley. Was I off base or did something change? Were the coaches surprised by Coleman and/or Young going pro?

You were off. The staff wanted 2 OTs from the beginning of the cycle. In the end they knew SC was hone but they were a bit surprised AY left.

1 & 2 are nowhere near a given. Your premise you based your conclusion on is very flawed. Russell Wilson was a GT to Wisky & he would have been drafted the year before out of NC State had he wanted to.

He left NC State over a coaching issue and baseball....did not want to leave. That said, he's an unusual situation and a pretty big exception if you look at the other recent GradT QBs that have given that 5th year a try elsewhere. One guy from 5 year ago does not establish a basis for the soundness of our apparent plan to bring in a gradT to fill an important position now...or two years from now. JMO

I'm not suggesting that Cole is the only prospect but seems that among all of the good and uncommitted LBs out there ....or in Juco we should (and maybe we do) have a name and face picked out as a future LB....and not be waiting to see who comes to the market at the last minute.

It would be so cool if Riley ended up being a last second signee for Auburn. That would the shot that was heard all over this state and else where. Totally awesome.

Agreed!

That's my thinking exactly. For a GT to be any help at all, there had to be some unusual situation at his former school. Change of coaching staff, Wilson's baseball issue etc. The pool of guys that could help us is so small that it's not even worth thinking about. Are there two GT linebackers in the entire country that would be a plus? I doubt it and even if there are two, Auburn won't be the only school that's after them.

PS: If there isn't one guy in the entire JUCO system that we want, how unlikely is it that there is a GT out there somewhere? He probably doesn't exist.

Like Riley Cole, here's another linebacker that might fit into our defensive. Jackson-Olin safety/linebacker, T.D. Moultry. He's 6-3, 221. Riley Cole is 6-3, 230 and he can play LB/WR.

Agreed!

Just play devil's advocate w/ you guys Blake Countess was a GT for us. He was our most versitile player on D, a great leader, & he was the team MVP on D.

W/ coaching changes becoming more prevalentr every year you will continue to see quality GTs available each year IMO due to scheme fit of the new coaches or just wanting to use another guy.

Archived