@AUFamily, please stop

AUEngineer2016

I thought the halftime SB show sucked giant monkey balls.

I did used to love the AUMB and Aubie halftime shows from 80s and 90s when they would do skits. Those were always fun to watch. I don't see anything disrespectful by that tweet, asking a legit question about halftime shows at JHS. Frankly, I don't watch halftime and never really did when I was at AU or after, once the skits stopped. I've always looked forward to the AUMB opening the game with the fight song as they march down the field, but other than that, .....meh.

It seems band folks are getting worked up over much of nothing and making more out of it than is there. If you wanted recognition for your musical abilities being the in the band playing at major D1 football is not the place to get that recognition, imo. The only ones watching the band at halftime are band parents or former band members.

Do you understand how sad this is for band members though? They go through summer workouts, practices, weigh-ins, 2-a-days, and they practice 10 hours a week during the fall semester, plus practices at 5am on gamedays, all so that they can play on that field.

I understand that you may not enjoy the AUMB, but there are a lot of us out there that do. I have friends in the band, friends who I've seen sacrifice study time, social events, and the opportunity to really relax and enjoy any football games as a student just so that they can perform at halftime and pre game, and now the people who should be supporting them are telling them that they aren't good and that they should "take notes" from the SB halftime show, which a) took months upon months of planning, 2) involved 3 of the greatest performers/performing groups in the world, and 3) cost millions of dollars to put on. Then they have the audacity to suggest that Auburn should replace the AUMB with a similar performance? Nice.

I didn't and I don't think anyone else suggested replacing AUMB. I said I like the old days of AUMB doing skit with Aubie, sometimes the cheerleaders joined in too.

I hated the SB show. Beyonce and crew wearing black pantheresque attire and possibly trying to politicize her "performance" after squeezing her fat ass in that tight outfit. Disgusting

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm confused, does @AUFamily consider @AUMB part of the family or not?

Is this a serious question?

And if it is, why is it?

I have a feeling that some people are hoping that one of the leaders of AU Family will step up and apologize for the confusing message and admit it could have been presented better, instead of taking a defensive stance.

That's what all this is about ... fishing for an apology? I've already said it could have been worded better and stated the intent of the message. Some of you guys ... drivel season is upon us.

That's what all this is about ... fishing for an apology? I've already said it could have been worded better and stated the intent of the message. Some of you guys ... drivel season is upon us.

That's the thing, Red... and this is coming from someone who has no dog in the fight, but has been trained how to use words to evoke positive reactions... it's blown up like it has because some people were, generally, heartfelt bothered by it, and the response that they received, though it may have been intended to be a statement of "it could have been worded better" was instead a statement of "you read it wrong". The blame for the misunderstanding was placed solely on the people who were bothered.

Yes, our society is too sensitive and yes the tweet had no ill intentions attached, but it is still important to acknowledge that there were errors on both sides. It also is important when someone who looks to you as an authority comes to you with a sincere concern, even if you are bothered that they aired it in public instead of in a PM, that you don't talk down to them for feeling that way. All that does is make them want to disassociate. Of course, it's up to you whether that matters to you or not. Anyway you look at it, the stout supporters of the band who received the tweet are likely not going to have a favorable opinion of this site unless some damage control is done. That is what it is.

I can see both sides of the discussion. Contrition is always helpful. Not being so sensitive and jumping to conclusions is also helpful.

Question - (I know the Auburn University Bands / Department of Music gives scholarships, correct?) - How many members of the marching band receive scholarships? If many or most do, then why is it not OK to be critical of the performance of the marching band?

Pretty much every athletic scholarship other than Football and basketball is a partial scholarship, correct? Virtually every athlete at a D1 school is subject to some level of scrutiny and possible criticism for their performance and their behavior, correct?

If members of the band are on scholarship, can't they be held - as a group - to a standard?

just curious ...

That's the thing, Red... and this is coming from someone who has no dog in the fight, but has been trained how to use words to evoke positive reactions... it's blown up like it has because some people were, generally, heartfelt bothered by it, and the response that they received, though it may have been intended to be a statement of "it could have been worded better" was instead a statement of "you read it wrong". The blame for the misunderstanding was placed solely on the people who were bothered.

Yes, our society is too sensitive and yes the tweet had no ill intentions attached, but it is still important to acknowledge that there were errors on both sides. It also is important when someone who looks to you as an authority comes to you with a sincere concern, even if you are bothered that they aired it in public instead of in a PM, that you don't talk down to them for feeling that way. All that does is make them want to disassociate. Of course, it's up to you whether that matters to you or not. Anyway you look at it, the stout supporters of the band who received the tweet are likely not going to have a favorable opinion of this site unless some damage control is done. That is what it is.

Even in hindsight, tagging the band could be viewed as asking the AUMB to chime in on the discussion as it would affect them whenever such shows were put in place. It certainly wasn't done maliciously. So to throw out words like "embarrassed", "ashamed", and "audacity" is just over the top. Before putting the site on blast, you could have asked RunInRed directly on PM instead of ascribing motives you couldn't possibly know were true or not.

Understood and, actually, presumed.

Still blind to Twitter.

Has the @AUFamily entity said so?

I have never been slighted in the least (and least of all, by Red), and deserve no apology.

The OP (an established member of the AUFamily) reported, at least perceived, slights to band members/affiliates (some maybe outside this forum).

The communications/sentiments presented here, are acknowledged greatly appreciated, but seem misdirected. Can somebody on Twitter tell me if these sentiments have been communicated outside, to the greater Family?

I gotta say, especially to the sensitive bunch, you need to remember this board, along with our social media feeds, are FREE mediums provided to the entire AUFAMILY, with very very limited restrictions (for the most part, we just ask you to act like you have some sense).

And in return, the Admins and Mods who help keep it all going, ask for nothing, nada, zero, zilch. ... It's a pure (tremendous) labor of love.

So when I see ridiculousness like "why do you hate the AUMB or you owe this or that person or group an apology," it makes me scratch my head and ask, why even bother? At some point, we, as AUFAMILY, need to stop eating our own, stop assuming the worst out of every not perfectly worded statement, and just enjoy the community we've built.

If not, there's going to come a point in time where those who put in all the effort, are going to say F it ... it's just not worth the headache.

I gotta say, especially to the sensitive bunch, you need to remember this board, along with our social media feeds, are FREE mediums provided to the entire AUFAMILY, with very very limited restrictions (for the most part, we just ask you to act like you have some sense).

And in return, the Admins and Mods who help keep it all going, ask for nothing, nada, zero, zilch. ... It's a pure (tremendous) labor of love.

So when I see ridiculousness like "why do you hate the AUMB or you owe this or that person or group an apology," it makes me scratch my head and ask, why even bother? At some point, we, as AUFAMILY, need to stop eating our own, stop assuming the worst out of every not perfectly worded statement, and just enjoy the community we've built.

If not, there's going to come a point in time where those who put in all the effort, are going to say F it ... it's just not worth the headache.

Well put. Let me just say, I love The Auburn family. I love the Auburn Marching Band. And I love this message board.

Well put. Let me just say, I love The Auburn family. I love the Auburn Marching Band. And I love this message board.

Well Koomba-freakin'-ya!!!!!

I feel the same way.

I agree, this is yet another example of this forum turning to $h!t. From thread hijacks, useless bickering, tired jokes, etc..., and now criticizing the band because they can't get superstars to entertain us at halftime. This used to be a sight to have good discussions and get useful information, guess I'm starting to sound old and longing for the good old days

Alrighty then

Is this where I'm supposed to make one of the tired jokes about your age? ��

Ain't that the truth.......but your the one who stated their getting old.

Twitter is a dangerous thing. A simple statement meant in one way can be misunderstood by thousands even millions of people in a few minutes. Politicians, governments and businesses have staffs that study public announcement to make sure they are clear and will not offend before being released.

Those same groups have Twitter accounts that they seem to lose all control of at times because Twitter is so easy and fast to use. Well known people have their careers ruined by making a quick and simple statement on Twitter.

I love the AUMB, and I don't doubt their passion, enthusiasm, and love for our Tigers. They have undoubtedly spent much time and sweat in pursuit of their activity. That doesn't seem to be in question.

However, also true is that our MB is not that great, not even close. Show up to a Georgia, LSU or dare I say it, Bama game and listen to their band...they are better. If you don't think so, you likely are too emblazoned with orange and blue to judge without prejudice.

So yes, I would support outside entertainers helping our band (much like Aubie's Back to the Future show) help jazz up an otherwise dull performance. Hate if you will, but one can be both a part of the Auburn Family and also express an opinion about the band.

Good for RiR for expressing an opinion, increasing traffic and getting a good debate going (the purpose of these sites that are run for free by the good graces of those that run them).

One more point. Are we really that bored that people get upset by this sort of thing? Are we literally offended by EVERYTHING?

Flame on.

2ptw2ky.jpg

News flash: 18 year olds are still going to war. They're still battling cancer and struggling to break out of bad situations. Bravery shows many forms.

^ an excellent, but not often discussed point. Hating on the younger generation will always be trendy.

By way of serious irrelevance from an old fart,

and with no offense intended,

+1

Post of the day.

Smh at this entire thread. Feel free to say the absolute worse things about football players, go crazy when someone doesn't say what you want to hear about the band.....

And the Beyonce post was hilarious of her maybe political stance. That was gold....

No one here should even question the support of the AUMB from the AUFamily. I believe it would have been best to have sent a private message to RIR about it before posting it on the forum but that water is already down the river and headed for the sea.

Yes, it would have. Instead, a lot was assumed, then put out there publicly without bothering to ask.

I agree, this is yet another example of this forum turning to ****. From thread hijacks, useless bickering, tired jokes, etc..., and now criticizing the band because they can't get superstars to entertain us at halftime. This used to be a sight to have good discussions and get useful information, guess I'm starting to sound old and longing for the good old days

You've been around since 2010 and have 42 posts. Not to say anyone with a low post count doesn't deserve to be heard, but good grief this is the most over the top bunch of whiney nonsense I've seen in a while.

It's apparent that even before it "turned to s***" in your words, you couldn't be bothered to actively contribute. You know where the door is. Nobody's chaining you to the radiator and making you stay.

Haha, if you think that was the most over the top bunch of whiney nonsense, then you obviously haven't read too many of these threads lately.

Read plenty. You're in the pole position.

Smh at this entire thread. Feel free to say the absolute worse things about football players, go crazy when someone doesn't say what you want to hear about the band.....

And the Beyonce post was hilarious of her maybe political stance. That was gold....

So do you agree or disagree with the Beyoncé statement?

So do you agree or disagree with the Beyoncé statement?

Put a ring on it?

Sorry, didn't know I was into a political argument. I was just quoting a song lyric. No clue what Beyoncé said.

It was a post about Beyonce earlier in the thread, not a statement she made. Golf knows all too well where Cole will take that (as he already attempted to do) so he's being preemptive :laugh:

So I'm confused, does @AUFamily consider @AUMB part of the family or not?

Check that, we have a strong contender putting his worst foot forward.

Ha. I wouldn't expect you to get my post. On the other hand that's why I gave lionheartkc a vote for post of the day. Since lionheartkc is a marketing professional, lionheartkc saw that Red's response to those who where upset was sending a mixed message.

Archived