2017 3* ILB Drew White (Notre Dame commit 3/21/16)

lionheartkc

Drew looks almost identical to Sean. He is not that big. 6'1" and about 220. Watched his HUDL highlights. Guy can block some punts. He looks very good on film. He plays for a very good program in FL too. With our recent history of not getting many LB commits, I certainly would start recruiting Drew.

Watched his HUDL highlights. Guy can block some punts. He looks very good on film. He plays for a very good program in FL too. With our recent history of not getting many LB commits, I certainly would start recruiting Drew.

That's what I was thinking... of course I'm far from a film analyst, but he seems like he's got the basics, is getting some SEC attention, and should be pretty easy to land with his brother on the team (assuming he doesn't get benched and transfer).

Watched his HUDL highlights. Guy can block some punts. He looks very good on film. He plays for a very good program in FL too. With our recent history of not getting many LB commits, I certainly would start recruiting Drew.

That's what I was thinking... of course I'm far from a film analyst, but he seems like he's got the basics, is getting some SEC attention, and should be pretty easy to land with his brother on the team (assuming he doesn't get benched and transfer).

I think you know our staff pretty good. And that certainly could happen if spring doesn't go well for Sean. I doubt if there would be any interest in Drew if he was a 4*.

There are some good in state LBs the staff probably should focus on first in this class.

No interest from Auburn? We sure are slow learners! For the past several years we've only "shown interest" in a very few linebackers and then when two or three of them choose somewhere else we're left with a fist full of nothin'. We should be casting a wider net at the position, not limiting ourselves.

ellitor: "There are some good in state LBs the staff probably should focus on first in this class. You are joking, right? There were four good in-state linebackers in this year's class that we allowed to slip away to out of state power-5 schools, three of them to out of state SEC schools. We haven't seemed at all interested in the gems that are right under our noses. I hope you are right about us going after in-state linebackers but recent history says not.

In any case we have an in with White's brother and we should be contacting him. We should be expending enough time and effort on linebackers to have a half-dozen interested in Auburn. Then we can choose three of our liking instead of coming up short year after year.

No interest from Auburn? We sure are slow learners! For the past several years we've only "shown interest" in a very few linebackers and then when two or three of them choose somewhere else we're left with a fist full of nothin'. We should be casting a wider net at the position, not limiting ourselves.

ellitor: "There are some good in state LBs the staff probably should focus on first in this class. You are joking, right? There were four good in-state linebackers in this year's class that we allowed to slip away to out of state power-5 schools, three of them to out of state SEC schools. We haven't seemed at all interested in the gems that are right under our noses. I hope you are right about us going after in-state linebackers but recent history says not.

In any case we have an in with White's brother and we should be contacting him. We should be expending enough time and effort on linebackers to have a half-dozen interested in Auburn. Then we can choose three of our liking instead of coming up short year after year.

Highlight 1: Taking 3-4 LBs we are & will cast a wider net. That just has not included Drew as of yet. We gave some sort of offer to 21 LBs in 2016. We have already offered 24 in 2017 on some level.

Highlight 2: There were 4 high rated LBs early last year but was not ranked that way by the end of the year. 2 went to Bama (Wilson & Davis). 1 dropped to a low 4* & went to UF (Moon). He did not have a commitable AU offer. The last dropped to a mid 3* & was never anything more than a Safety target to either of our D staffs w/ no offer (Blue).

Highlight 3: The point I did a poor job of making is there are some good in state LBs in 2017 we appear to be in good shape w/ early. We were never in good shape w/ any in state LBs we wanted besides Threat in 2016. There are 4 in state kids who we are in good shape w/ & appear to want in 2017. No matter what else happens if we miss on either Benton or Ignont given the leads we have had w/ both guys I will be very disappointed.

Man we miss out on Benton and ignot I'll cry. That would be huge considering the need and where we started out in interest

quote:We were never in good shape w/ any in state LBs we wanted besides Threat in 2016.

Indeed. We weren't in good shape with nearly enough linebackers regardless of their location. It also looks like we should have "wanted" a few that were right under our noses. If they were good enough for Florida and MSU then they were good enough that we should have given them a try, considering the fix we were in.

quote:We were never in good shape w/ any in state LBs we wanted besides Threat in 2016.

Indeed. We weren't in good shape with nearly enough linebackers regardless of their location. It also looks like we should have "wanted" a few that were right under our noses. If they were good enough for Florida and MSU then they were good enough that we should have given them a try, considering the fix we were in.

Why is this a thing? Where did the premeditated assumption that "if they're good enough for Florida and MSU, they're good enough for us"? What if our staff didn't feel that way? We've got plenty of young talent, and we'll be playing 70% in the nickel which only needs 2 LBs. Neal and Tre are proven. When we need a third Jeff Holland will be that guy. Darrell Williams got reps last year as well. Hell Threat is pretty good just low rated. I just don't get the LB argument anymore. I get that you're upset that we don't sign enough, I really do, but if the staff felt like signing one was enough this year (two if you count Neal) than that works for me. Just tired of every LB thread we have turning into you repeatedly posting about how we need to sign more and that we failed the year prior.

Why is this a thing? Where did the premeditated assumption that "if they're good enough for Florida and MSU, they're good enough for us"? What if our staff didn't feel that way? We've got plenty of young talent, and we'll be playing 70% in the nickel which only needs 2 LBs. Neal and Tre are proven. When we need a third Jeff Holland will be that guy. Darrell Williams got reps last year as well. Hell Threat is pretty good just low rated. I just don't get the LB argument anymore. I get that you're upset that we don't sign enough, I really do, but if the staff felt like signing one was enough this year (two if you count Neal) than that works for me. Just tired of every LB thread we have turning into you repeatedly posting about how we need to sign more and that we failed the year prior.

I support Clayton 1000% on this post. In the past 2 classes DL quality depth has been far more important for us due to the negligence of recruiting good DL during the end of Chizik's tenure. Go back and look at the 2012 signing class that should've been seniors this past year and look at all the players we missed on. It's amazing how many great DL we struck out with.

That makes two of us...

If y'all are happy with our linebacker recruiting since 2010 and the subsequent results on the field (No all-SEC linebackers, first or second team or even honorable mention in five seasons) then don't worry, be happy. We sure could have used a few of those that our coaches allegedly didn't like that ended up beating us in games.

2015 was our only solid LB recruiting class since Jake Holland & co. signed. How that class ended up is a good example of why we can't have a good class one year and then think the position will "be fine" for the foreseeable future.

Whether we'll be playing mostly in the nickle or not is a question even Coach Steele cannot answer yet. Do you that already know what we'll be doing think the "mostly nickle" lineup will be because of a lack of real linebacker talent or is there some other reason that our coaches have yet to figure out?

Whether we'll be playing mostly in the nickle or not is a question even Coach Steele cannot answer yet. Do you that already know what we'll be doing think the "mostly nickle" lineup will be because of a lack of real linebacker talent or is there some other reason that our coaches have yet to figure out?

Come on now Mikey. It just looks like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Everybody can answer that Because of the open offenses most teams are running. Most team Ds are heavy nickel now whether it be the 4-2-5 or the 3-3-5. Given our roster we will be in the 4-2-5 a lot.

Come on now Mikey. It just looks like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Everybody can answer that Because of the open offenses most teams are running. Most team Ds are heavy nickel now whether it be the 4-2-5 or the 3-3-5. Given our roster we will be in the 4-2-5 a lot.

key phrase was "given our roster"

I think you are both right.

• 1 month later...

For some reason this thread caught me as funny ... In a sad kind of way

What strikes me as funny is how, right now, while we are recruiting 8-10 linebackers and may sign as many as 5, everybody agrees with Mikey. During the season, when linebacker play is suspect and depth is nonexistent, everybody agrees with Mikey. After signing day, and we sign one linebacker, everybody bashes Mikey for disagreeing. Fight on, Mikey, fight on.

For some reason this thread caught me as funny ... In a sad kind of way

What strikes me as funny is how, right now, while we are recruiting 8-10 linebackers and may sign as many as 5, everybody agrees with Mikey. During the season, when linebacker play is suspect and depth is nonexistent, everybody agrees with Mikey. After signing day, and we sign one linebacker, everybody bashes Mikey for disagreeing. Fight on, Mikey, fight on.

Oh, I've been saying our LB recruiting is insufficient since the class of 2011. I'll continue to "fight on" until the situation is corrected.

Class of 2015: signed 5 good LB prospects.

Colbert, moved to DB, then gone to JUCO

Atkinson, moved to DB, now some say playing some DB and some LB. His weight is still listed as 183 pounds

Holland: Moved to "Buck" which our experts say is a DE (the reason we don't need so many linebackers)

McBryde, redshirted, still an unknown.

Darryll Williams, played a little.

So there you go. Sign 5 solid LB prospects and after less than a year on campus, you have only two (McBryde and D. Williams) left out of the bunch and they have yet to prove anything one way or the other. The rest are moved to other positions or gone from school.

That's not uncommon and it's why the imp in West Alabama keeps on signing 5 or 6 LB every year. You have to bring in that many to field two or three linebackers that can play winning SEC football.

Archived