2017 4* ILB Kenney (K.J.) Britt Commits to AU!

RunInRed

Free read from Rivals

AUBURN | Oxford linebacker K.J. Britt no longer has a leader.

Auburn and Georgia continue to be at the top of his list, but neither school has an edge over the other.

“Everything is so close,” Britt said. “I’m just taking it day by day.”

Britt, who Rivals ranks the No. 7 inside linebacker in the class, spent Friday night and Saturday in Auburn. He hung out with fellow 2017 linebacker recruits, Chandler Wooten and Tadarian Moultry, both Auburn commitments.

“We did a lot of chillin’, playing games and just kicking back,” Britt said. “It was a lot of fun. They’re not pressuring me. We didn’t even talk football. We just joked around and played games.”

Britt and Moultry once planned to attend college together. Moultry made up his mind and committed to the Tigers. Britt could do the same, but it wouldn’t be because of Moultry. That’s now a bonus.

“Auburn is always going to be there (in my top group),” Britt said. “We know Gus (Malzahn) is going to be there and that’s big. They’re building and they’re about to have something special.”

Britt plans to announce his commitment Aug. 6, but will wait if he’s not ready. Right now, he’s not.

“I’m enjoying Stanford and Florida … I’m enjoying those two a lot,” Britt said. “Auburn, Georgia, Stanford and Florida and a few more schools like Michigan and LSU.”

Rivals ranks Britt, who stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 220 pounds, No. 122 in the Rivals250.

Still don't think AU is pushing hard for Britt. 23?

Gus and his staff are a big part of the reason those kids didn't quit last year. We've seen teams roll over with other coaching staffs. These guys love Auburn and love playing for Gus. You can't credit them for fighting without giving him credit for the same.

Gus and his staff are a big part of the reason those kids didn't quit last year. We've seen teams roll over with other coaching staffs. These guys love Auburn and love playing for Gus. You can't credit them for fighting without giving him credit for the same.

The kids did play hard for Gus and that is a huge credit to Gus and how the team feels about Gus. But Gus did not have this team ready to play last year. All I was saying.

And that, I agree. Last year was a cluster, and that was primarily a coaching issue.

The kids did play hard for Gus and that is a huge credit to Gus and how the team feels about Gus. But Gus did not have this team ready to play last year. All I was saying.

I don't understand this logic.

If the players played hard, then Gus had them ready to play in my opinion. Players don't play hard to me, if coaches don't get them to that level of play.

The problem is simply we had QB issues, and no one saw it once JJ imploded. There were no signs he would not succeed during his soph year, and the success he had. The QB is the compass by which the offense can be successful. WHen Gus had to turn to a RSFr in White, and he got hurt, then we were for sure in serious problems. Look at LSU and the problems they had because they have had QB inconsistencies. Look at TaM. same thing.

Should Gus have known JJ was going to be the enemy on passes? I guess all failures can be blamed on the HC. But he has too much success offensively not for him to know how to run a successful offense.

If he was guilty of anything, it was giving RL too much control, and the offense simply didn't work in the play calling (if RL truly was given more play calling, regardless if GM took the blame).

Maybe i am just seeing it differently than you...

Edited by steeleagle

I don't understand this logic.

If the players played hard, then Gus had them ready to play in my opinion. Players don't play hard to me, if coaches don't get them to that level of play.

The problem is simply we had QB issues, and no one saw it once JJ imploded. There were no signs he would not succeed during his soph year, and the success he had. The QB is the compass by which the offense can be successful. WHen Gus had to turn to a RSFr in White, and he got hurt, then we were for sure in serious problems. Look at LSU and the problems they had because they have had QB inconsistencies. Look at TaM. same thing.

Should Gus have known JJ was going to be the enemy on passes? I guess all failures can be blamed on the HC. But he has too much success offensively not for him to know how to run a successful offense.

If he was guilty of anything, it was giving RL too much control, and the offense simply didn't work in the play calling (if RL truly was given more play calling, regardless if GM took the blame).

Maybe i am just seeing it differently than you...

His logic is straight forward & simple. Playing hard for a coach is only 1 part of being well prepared. You also have tactics, strategy, & having a plan B ready in some cases as well.. We lacked in each of those areas at some point last year. Take QB for example. The staff was all in on what they thought would be the best offense to do for JJ. There was very little preparation for an O around Sean's strengths if he had to QB. Until JJ was pulled and I would say even a couple weeks later Sean's reps were mainly JJ shadow plays. Well prepared coaching would have had Sean's reps focus that O's unit on his strengths from the time Fall camp started, not after a QB change.

Oh & CRL did not have as much control of the O as you think.

Edited by ellitor

I guess we will see. I am sure down the stretch when the offense was sputtering like crazy then GM had to get involved. As most who followed GM at AU the offense just didnt function the same and most seem to think GM didnt have full control of the offense like he did when he was OC and when he first got the HC job.

And i agree the Coach is responsible for all aspects of the O. I just have a problem with answers like ' ready to play' for the reason it's the HCs fault. I hear this in all sports, and i think there is a difference in being ready to play and having problems with expectations of key personnel that implode or under perform. The fact that the offense was going to be a much more pass heavy offense with JJ, i felt wasnt going to change with SW, so i don't see the difference since both QBs were running to me the same offense our coaches TRIED to implement.

To me the problem was, once JJ failed so drastically, that bringing in a RS with no experience was going to create problems trying to win SEC games. Now i do agree our play calling became too conservative, and the offense became stagnant. Then SW got hurt and they went back to JJ, but again they were so conservative, it made it hard to win games.

I think it just doesnt take much to make an offense impotent, when the QB has execution issues or mental doubt in executing plays.

But i understand your comments regarding aspects of all the offense. That is why i am still worried about this year's offense with the same QBs and only a transfer who basically that run the ball.

And i agree the Coach is responsible for all aspects of the O. I just have a problem with answers like ' ready to play' for the reason it's the HCs fault. I hear this in all sports,

Not being ready to play is the HC's responsibility. It's his job to make sure He & or his assistants have the players motivated & the assistants have prepared the players tacticly & strategicly to play their best. As a former coach myself coaching mistakes bug me more than player mistakes.

Totally understand. So let me ask this. Do you think JJ was 'not ready to play'? And if so, do you feel it was the offensive coaches fault he was not prepared?

I totally agree about being ready. As a Red Shirt Freshman who had already been in the system for a year, They should not have needed to dumb down the offense for SW when JJ melted down. Every coach needs to give their backup enough reps that they can come in and play from the same Playbook in case of an injury. In addition I did not see any change other than becoming more conservative to take advantage of SW's strength's as well as to hide his weaknesses.

A well prepared coach would already have a package designed for SW before he was needed. If JJ was hurt during a game I could understand having SW run the identical offense when he came in during the game but I would have expected at least parts of the new package the next week with more added each week. Instead they had a week to start putting in an adjusted package for SW but instead kept basically original package and actually dumbed it down.

A zone read package when D knows QB won't run is not a great package.

I like Gus and I think he is capable of being a great Head Coach if he learned from last years meltdown and uses that this year and in the future we will be ok. Unlike some because of the toughness of the schedule I don't think this year should be a make or break year for Gus but the team has to play well even if the record is not great. How we play will be as important as the record. QB play can't be an excuse this year as they have had time to adjust the O for any of the three QB's. I am not counting Queen or Barrett.

Totally understand. So let me ask this. Do you think JJ was 'not ready to play'? And if so, do you feel it was the offensive coaches fault he was not prepared?

I think Jeremy had a mental issue that was beyond anything the coaches could fix. Now, should they have identified this ahead of time? Maybe. But I don't entirely blame them for failing to accurately simulate an actual college football game to test the mental strength of a guy who had already performed very well in actual college football games.

I totally agree about being ready. As a Red Shirt Freshman who had already been in the system for a year, They should not have needed to dumb down the offense for SW when JJ melted down.

I have no idea what planet this idea came from but it is completely & totally false. The system was not nor needed to be dumbed down for Sean in any way. My original point is JJ & Sean are different QBs w/ different strengths. The staff should have had an O unit at least prepared & catered to Sean's strengths long before the UK & Arky games in case Sean ever had to play.

We didn't dumb down the play calling, but we were less aggressive. Maybe that's what he means?

I think Jeremy had a mental issue that was beyond anything the coaches could fix. Now, should they have identified this ahead of time? Maybe. But I don't entirely blame them for failing to accurately simulate an actual college football game to test the mental strength of a guy who had already performed very well in actual college football games.

This.

We didn't dumb down the play calling, but we were less aggressive. Maybe that's what he means?

Hence the not having an O prepared for Sean. For example, your statement is blatantly obvious in the Miss St game.

I totally agree about being ready. As a Red Shirt Freshman who had already been in the system for a year, They should not have needed to dumb down the offense for SW when JJ melted down.

I have no idea what planet this idea came from but it is completely & totally false. The system was not nor needed to be dumbed down for Sean in any way. My original point is JJ & Sean are different QBs w/ different strengths. The staff should have had an O unit at least prepared & catered to Sean's strengths long before the UK & Arky games in case Sean ever had to play.

The second paragraph in my statement actually went into details where I am basically agreeing with you..

A well prepared coach would already have a package designed for SW before he was needed. If JJ was hurt during a game I could understand having SW run the identical offense when he came in during the game but I would have expected at least parts of the new package the next week with more added each week. Instead they had a week to start putting in an adjusted package for SW but instead kept basically original package and actually dumbed it down.

As for the dumb down probably a poor choice of words. Probably should have said they were less aggressive. Basically first game when SW came in he ran identical offense that JJ ran without allowing him to challenge Defense with his throwing which was supposedly his strength. I still saw zone reads where D knew he was not going to keep the ball and even if he did they were not worried what damage he would do if he ran.

Also sentence you quoted me on should have said not ready it was a typo on my part.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Wasn't Sean hurt most of the season? So our starter goes out with brain freeze and then #2 has to play hurt.

Not much hope with with all of that going on....

Again back to KJ folks.

I know I have participated but we have had these other discussions on various other threads countless times. We are beating a dead horse here.

So KJ was high on the list...

Then he engaged in some undisclosed shenanigans that made us cool on him, like ice cold...

Now we've warmed back up to him at least enough to let him back on campus, but our insiders don't think that any serious interest has been renewed.

Did I get that right?

So KJ was high on the list...

Then he engaged in some undisclosed shenanigans that made us cool on him, like ice cold...

Now we've warmed back up to him at least enough to let him back on campus, but our insiders don't think that any serious interest has been renewed.

Did I get that right?

I honestly have no clue at this point other than he was supposedly behind Monty Rice at their LB spot before that other stuff.. Edited by ellitor

Free from Keith Link

-Think AU is trending up again with Britt. He's a take at AU, I've confirmed.

Other sites basically saying the same.

Didn't Britt excel at several of those one-day showoff affairs? I hope that he gets his head straight and Auburn signs him. On the other hand, I've had a belly full of all the silly "silent commit, decommit blah blah" stuff. If he's not through playing games yet then let's move on.

Didn't Britt excel at several of those one-day showoff affairs? I hope that he gets his head straight and Auburn signs him. On the other hand, I've had a belly full of all the silly "silent commit, decommit blah blah" stuff. If he's not through playing games yet then let's move on.

Agree. He's a really good linebacker and would compliment the other 2 already committed very well. This would leave 1 more spot for best available; Ignont, Taylor, Rice, etc.