New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Does it really matter who the QB is honestly? We know what we have with JJ and SW, and know why we are looking at JF3. I simply hope that rolling through fall camp, we find out who is QB1 and we get the scheme firing around him.

If it's JF3, I am really looking for the Oline and Running game to be the carrying aspect of the team. I will expect a heavy run game plan with hopes of play action being our counter punch and haymaker.

If JJ is the guy, I am hoping that he gets used a bit more in the run game as well. He has shown glimpses of brilliance with the QB draw, the drawback has been his demeanor. If he gets he bod, I am hoping that 2015 hardened him.

If SW is the guy, I am expecting our new recruits to produce at WR. We had some untimely drops and penalties last season that took away big plays that could've been scores or led to a score but they ended up drive killers. SW seems pretty aggressive as a passer and I would honestly love for him to get 30-35 passes a game if we could. However, I don't think we are setup for that or atleast we weren't last season. If he wins the job, the staff will adjust the offense for him during fall.

It's time to just sit back and watch it unfold. Pumped to see ADay honestly.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad Cole didn't feel like arguing with Stat over this this. I would have hated to see how long this would have gone on if he did. ;D

Let me just point out that the article from AL.com was from a writer that has been known to make stuff up and he definitely is no friend to AU. Most of AL.coms reporters are worthless and don't do their homework nor do they have any inside information, so they just throw it out there and unfortunately there are folks that use anything written to justify their point of view. Truth is all of these guys are probably better than the guy that uat will start, problem is that the rest of the team needs to jell and coaches need to create a good game plan, to be sucessful. AU fans need to be patient and root for whoever the coaches decide on. And mostly AU fans need to quit poor mouthing our players. If you want to do that then please go root for uat, you will fit in there perfectly. WDE

What does Alabama have to do with any of this?

Nothing.

I'm glad Cole didn't feel like arguing with Stat over this this. I would have hated to see how long this would have gone on if he did. ;D/>

Thought the same

Stat...you can't make everyone "happy". Just keep bringing it. Appreciate your viewpoint with statistics in mind.

No one is going to make Cole happy unless you are living in his mind, seeing things in the discriminatory way he sees them. Then when absolute facts and data are presented that don't match what is in Cole's mind, he will argue pointlessly, to the ends of the earth, because he doesn't agree with the facts.

It has been proven on just about every thread, every day, with everyone that even slightly disagrees with him. As long as he is aloud to continue, he won't stop on his own.

I guess all the back and forth about who is leading for QB now is fun....but to me it's like the guy who shoots 67 in the first round of a PGA golf tourney....really means nothing because what counts is performance over the entire tourney and first day leaders win nothing.

The "QB tourney" runs from now to the end of August....we are still basically in day #1.

Weakest part of SW game is his vertical passing. But I think it's safe that everybody knows who are the guys who agree with SW.....

They practically closed the playbook and parsed back the play selections so much when SW had to take over last year that it limited what he was allowed to do. I don't really think we've seen just what SW can do yet. With a solid and more disciplined oline, good WR corps, and a more diverse playbook, I think SW will do fine.

Stat...you can't make everyone "happy". Just keep bringing it. Appreciate your viewpoint with statistics in mind.

No one is going to make Cole happy unless you are living in his mind, seeing things in the discriminatory way he sees them. Then when absolute facts and data are presented that don't match what is in Cole's mind, he will argue pointlessly, to the ends of the earth, because he doesn't agree with the facts.

It has been proven on just about every thread, every day, with everyone that even slightly disagrees with him. As long as he is aloud to continue, he won't stop on his own.

It is allowed, not aloud..... Cole is not wrong when he says that stats can be manipulated or skewed to support one side or the other. Why don't you just let them talk and stay out of it.

I guess all the back and forth about who is leading for QB now is fun....but to me it's like the guy who shoots 67 in the first round of a PGA golf tourney....really means nothing because what counts is performance over the entire tourney and first day leaders win nothing.

The "QB tourney" runs from now to the end of August....we are still basically in day #1.

yeup!

Weakest part of SW game is his vertical passing. But I think it's safe that everybody knows who are the guys who agree with SW.....

They practically closed the playbook and parsed back the play selections so much when SW had to take over last year that it limited what he was allowed to do. I don't really think we've seen just what SW can do yet. With a solid and more disciplined oline, good WR corps, and a more diverse playbook, I think SW will do fine.

Excellent post...I think he will do fine as well...

Second that. Stat brings FACTS.

The point about uat was that their QBs are never great. The rest of the team is. It takes a whole team to win not just a Cam Newton QB. While Cam was as good as they get, he would be the first to tell you that the OL and defense as well as the RB was just as responsible for the 2010 season as he was. Every position has to do their job and if you listen to Gus he has told you over and over that all of the team was not up to par last year. Say you like and hope SW makes it or Franklin, but don't bad mouth any of them. If you don't have anything nice to say then about a player then just say nothing about them. The other part of the uat remark was that most of you complainers sound like uat fans. If the shoe fits wear it. WDE

The point about uat was that their QBs are never great. The rest of the team is. It takes a whole team to win not just a Cam Newton QB. While Cam was as good as they get, he would be the first to tell you that the OL and defense as well as the RB was just as responsible for the 2010 season as he was. Every position has to do their job and if you listen to Gus he has told you over and over that all of the team was not up to par last year. Say you like and hope SW makes it or Franklin, but don't bad mouth any of them. If you don't have anything nice to say then about a player then just say nothing about them. The other part of the uat remark was that most of you complainers sound like uat fans. If the shoe fits wear it. WDE

Sunshine.gif

Stat was making a point that vertical passing is not a weakness of SW game. IMO I agree with him, even though SW has not had a lot of playing time compared to others in his analysis. But based on the sample size he has proven he can hit guys vertically. Could have possibly been more opportunities, but defenses kinda played 2 deep a lot because they rarely if ever had to commit an extra guy in the run game. Very difficult to hit deep passes with a safety sitting on top.

I'm glad Cole didn't feel like arguing with Stat over this this. I would have hated to see how long this would have gone on if he did. ;D/>

Thought the same

:popcorn:

It is allowed, not aloud..... Cole is not wrong when he says that stats can be manipulated or skewed to support one side or the other. Why don't you just let them talk and stay out of it.

Day after day, thread after thread, poster after poster, it gets old. We are approaching a calendar year of the same arguments, when will he get tired of it?

I do understand, people that are so miserable, that arguing makes them happy, won't stop arguing, even when they are disagreeing over or against exact statistical facts.

Thanks WDE, and I hope you have one too. Folks get way to carried away about this stuff. I know it is important for some to impress folks with their knowledge and their connections. Truth is if we were as good as some believe, we would be making a million bucks coaching a D1 school. That said, if I sound like I sunshine pump them I am sorry. My point is just like other things in life, you can make a point without speaking bad of someone else. If anyone thinks that SW or JJ was the sole reason we lost 6 games last year they are sadly mistaken. The other point is that if AU loses another six games this year, so what. Auburn is more than winning and losing ballgames. Football is too. It is like HS, about turning young men into adults. If you really want to talk bad about players do it about pro players, that do it for a job and actually make money for it. My idea of a successful season is that none of our players are seriously hurt and we don't commit any major infractions and our players graduate and go on to live great lives. If my opinion differs from yours then maybe you should re-assess what you value. WDE

I think SW's deep-vertical passes float jusssst a little too long for me to be comfortable. But I also thought the same thing about Cam Newton's deep passes in his first handful of games.

Again, none of the stuff that you are talking about has anything to do with our QB situation. What Alabama is doing has nothing to do with Auburn University. The funny thing is, it is the same guys who bring up Alabama on a forum geared toward the discussion and opinions of AU fans and then have the audacity to call others UAT fans. Nobody thinks about Alabama until the same handful of guys chime in and say "Hey, but look at Alabama." It reminds me of the politicians, who can never add any input without saying "Look at how bad the other side is." It is so random, misplaced and quite frankly flat out wrong. Alabama fans just won a championship, why would they be complaining? Secondly, There isn't one QB on our team at this very moment, who was better than Jacob Coker last year. You don't have to be an Auburn or Alabama fan to see that, so how exactly is putting down their QBs, even engaging in the discussion of this thread? Third, I have not seen one person attack our QBs on this thread. I have seen fans with preferences of who they want, but isn't opinions allowed on an opinionated forum? Fourth, I cannot think of any type of fanbase from a respectable program, who would not have heated discussions, if their teams fell flat on their face after being projected to be a top-ten team. I much rather people vent and have discourse, rather than go out and ruin themselves over a game. Fifth, yes we do take it seriously. That is why fan is short for fanatic. Think about it. Most of us are grown men, chatting on a thread, about 18-22-year-old college kids playing a game.

When I watch White play, he looks small and fragile, and his arm strength does not look impressive. He does seem to be accurate, and I do like the way he moves in the pocket. Do statistics back up what I say? Maybe not. Maybe some biases I have reflect in the opinion that I expressed. It doesn't really matter. We think what we think based on what we see. Some of us do not recognize patterns as well as others.

Jeremy has all the physical assets to be dominant, and thus far seems to have very few of the necessary mental assets to do the same. Maybe he can do better this year the way Leard and Campbell eventually did after poor junior campaigns.

Or maybe Franklin can take over the way Marshall did and have enough running ability to offset a weakness in his passing game. We shall see. But cold as consistently get agitated on this site. He is one of about five or six people where you just expect that when you see him post. It doesn't mean that he is always wrong or off-base, but he does sort of generate the automatic eye roll.

Of the 31 Auburn QB's to attempt at least 100 paases during a season from 1992-2015, Sean White had the 5th best ratio for producing pass plays of 15-yds or more. Nick Marshall in 2013 was #19 on the list.

What would Whites passing percentage be if Ricardo Louis hadn't dropped all those passes against Arkansas? I Wonder if JF3 could become the new WildCat QB?

I think everyone is in agreement that, of all our QBs, Jeremy is the prototypical QB when it comes to size and strength, and we all hope that he can get the mental part of the game and be the guy everyone expected him to be. The tough thing is that there is no set road map for fixing what is broken with him. The silver lining is, if the light comes on, his physical abilities can take him from pariah to rock start nearly overnight.

As for Sean, I find myself frustrated by the people who insist on putting him down. I wish that we had a few more reliable receivers last year. I believe, if we had, he would have put up huge numbers against Arkansas and we would have won that game, which would make it much harder for people to find bad things to say about him. He's certainly not going to win a Heisman if he starts this year, but he has the most cut and dry path to being the best QB on the team and the intangible skills to be great by the end of his career, if he puts in the hours.

Then there's John... People say Sean looks small and fragile yet he looks big in every picture where you see him next to John. Yet, everyone expects John to carry the team on his legs, while getting hit by 300+ lb linemen with bad intentions. John is fast, but he needs to get bigger to stay healthy... Can he do that in 3 months? Will it slow him down? Can he become more efficient in the pass game at the same time? John's path to being the best on the team is also pretty cut and dry, but it's going to take A LOT of work. No matter what, I expect to see him behind center... the question is, will it be as the starter or as a Wildcat?

Of course, Tyler could come in and surprise us all. Even though he's been hurt, he's been learning the system and has bulk that could be a great value to us, especially with our red zone woes, if he has the strength to utilize it.

What would Whites passing percentage be if Ricardo Louis hadn't dropped all those passes against Arkansas?

Great question.

I Wonder if JF3 could become the new WildCat QB?

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that he will be if he doesn't start.

I think everyone is in agreement that, of all our QBs, Jeremy is the prototypical QB when it comes to size and strength, and we all hope that he can get the mental part of the game and be the guy everyone expected him to be. The tough thing is that there is no set road map for fixing what is broken with him. The silver lining is, if the light comes on, his physical abilities can take him from pariah to rock start nearly overnight.

As for Sean, I find myself frustrated by the people who insist on putting him down. I wish that we had a few more reliable receivers last year. I believe, if we had, he would have put up huge numbers against Arkansas and we would have won that game, which would make it much harder for people to find bad things to say about him. He's certainly not going to win a Heisman if he starts this year, but he has the most cut and dry path to being the best QB on the team and the intangible skills to be great by the end of his career, if he puts in the hours.

Then there's John... People say Sean looks small and fragile yet he looks big in every picture where you see him next to John. Yet, everyone expects John to carry the team on his legs, while getting hit by 300+ lb linemen with bad intentions. John is fast, but he needs to get bigger to stay healthy... Can he do that in 3 months? Will it slow him down? Can he become more efficient in the pass game at the same time? John's path to being the best on the team is also pretty cut and dry, but it's going to take A LOT of work. No matter what, I expect to see him behind center... the question is, will it be as the starter or as a Wildcat?

Of course, Tyler could come in and surprise us all. Even though he's been hurt, he's been learning the system and has bulk that could be a great value to us, especially with our red zone woes, if he has the strength to utilize it.

That about sums it up. I think most of us are anxious to see what Tyler Queen can Do. As far as JF3 size there is a photo of him during an FSU scrimmage and he looks like a kid compared to his teammates. Sean played hurt last year and had unreliable recievers. People the hate on SW are the same people that are convinced Gus HAS to have a DT QB.

Archived