New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Sean White will not, hopefully not, have another snap as QB. Anyone justifying him using stats, just look at the teams he started against. They were lower-tier. I'd much rather have JJ start than SW White presents absolutely no run threat, which we NEED in our system. Hopefully it's either JF3 or JJ at QB.

How much of a run threat is JJ, actually? More than SW? I'll concede. But, aside from some designed draws run in a straight line behind a lineman, JJ hasn't shown to be much of a threat running the football. I still think he's a guy who doesn't enjoy contact, and who doesn't possess particularly good instincts for running the ball. I understand we are comparing him to SW, but I don't think JJ's running ability is so much greater than SW's as to warrant us overlooking his glaring incompetencies (based upon last season) throwing the football down the field.

My point is that while SW might not present a threat running the ball, JJ isn't much more of a threat himself. Of course that's my opinion.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean White will not, hopefully not, have another snap as QB. Anyone justifying him using stats, just look at the teams he started against. They were lower-tier. I'd much rather have JJ start than SW White presents absolutely no run threat, which we NEED in our system. Hopefully it's either JF3 or JJ at QB.

There's a lot of ignorance in that post...

Our running backs need to be a "run threat". Our quarterbacks need to be a passing threat. If he can pass and run, terrific, but if he can't hardly pass then he's not much help.

How much of a run threat is JJ, actually? More than SW? I'll concede. But, aside from some designed draws run in a straight line behind a lineman, JJ hasn't shown to be much of a threat running the football. I still think he's a guy who doesn't enjoy contact, and who doesn't possess particularly good instincts for running the ball. I understand we are comparing him to SW, but I don't think JJ's running ability is so much greater than SW's as to warrant us overlooking his glaring incompetencies (based upon last season) throwing the football down the field.

My point is that while SW might not present a threat running the ball, JJ isn't much more of a threat himself. Of course that's my opinion.

I'm with you on this

There's a lot of ignorance in that post...

Our running backs need to be a "run threat". Our quarterbacks need to be a passing threat. If he can pass and run, terrific, but if he can't hardly pass then he's not much help.

You can say that again. You'd think SW killed someones dog how much criticism he gets. When the kid is healthy he can sling it. I wasn't too impressed with his deep ball accuracy but if improved SW can be a good QB for us. Replacing two Tackles does concern me with SW as a starter b/c he isn't that mobile and he's fragile. JJ hasn't shown he's by far a better runner than SW. SW actually avoided some rushes and extended plays to make passes. If JJ is no longer timid in taking contact and doesn't hesitate to run then maybe i can agree with the original statement.

Just sad...

Wow... clueless.

It blows me away when people say that Sean presents absolutely no run threat. I guess they were all asleep during the Ole Miss game where he, with a bad knee in a brace, ripped off a 10 yard run and damaged said brace sliding to avoid a hit. I'm sure a guy who has the guts and vision to do that when he is hurt is no threat at all when he's healthy and not being protected because there are no real backups. Jeremy has 2 advantages to Sean in the run... his size running inside and his speed IF he gets through the line. Neither one of them is overly shifty or prone to make a defender miss.

Also, Arkansas and Ole Miss were far from second tier last year. Ole Miss finished 2nd in the West and beat bama, but Sean still put up over 250 yards passing on them... on a bad knee. And Arkansas beat Ole Miss.

A QB that is a run threat, but not a pass threat is a recipe for another dismal season.

Replacing two Tackles does concern me with SW as a starter b/c he isn't that mobile...

I'll have to argue that point. Look at his film. He moves A LOT and throws accurately on the run. Granted, he doesn't have SEC linebackers on his butt in his film, but he is effective avoiding pressure to get the pass off.

Whether he's "fragile" or not remains to be seen. He'll have to get hurt again for me to consider slapping that label on him.

IMHO SW is the starter ...

Yeah, you guys who are questioning Sean's mobility relative to the other guys on the roster not named JFIII have not been paying attention.

And logan adams, your post has already been competently dismantled, but add mine to the pile of complete disagreement. I think you're paying way more attention to your preconceived notions than you are to football games. Don't worry, it's hardly uncommon.

Wow... clueless.

It blows me away when people say that Sean presents absolutely no run threat. I guess they were all asleep during the Ole Miss game where he, with a bad knee in a brace, ripped off a 10 yard run and damaged said brace sliding to avoid a hit. I'm sure a guy who has the guts and vision to do that when he is hurt is no threat at all when he's healthy and not being protected because there are no real backups. Jeremy has 2 advantages to Sean in the run... his size running inside and his speed IF he gets through the line. Neither one of them is overly shifty or prone to make a defender miss.

Also, Arkansas and Ole Miss were far from second tier last year. Ole Miss finished 2nd in the West and beat bama, but Sean still put up over 250 yards passing on them... on a bad knee. And Arkansas beat Ole Miss.

A QB that is a run threat, but not a pass threat is a recipe for another dismal season.

How can you say that when the dismal seasonal we just had was with "throwing" QB's? JJ's QB rating and completion percentage were better than SW last year. I am sure JJ ran for more yds than SW and pretty sure we won more game with JJ starting than SW.

What has changed to say that SW will be better this year? Or JJ for the fact? JFIII was brought in to the be QB. Will he,I don't know. But the fact that GM brought another QB in with a completely different skill set than the others says it all to me; CGM did not like what was on campus and did not think they were the answer for the coming year.

We are a very pedestrian football team with the other 2 at QB. It is not because they are not runners, but IMO because they are very average overall QB's.

How can you say that when the dismal seasonal we just had was with "throwing" QB's?

*Starts to bang head against keyboard... pauses*

We are a very pedestrian football team with the other 2 at QB. It is not because they are not runners, but IMO because they are very average overall QB's.

*Realizes the guy answered his own question... then bangs head against keyboard even harder*

Also, if you think it stands to reason that Sean White will be a "very pedestrian" QB in 2016 because he only did sorta well as a redshirt freshman who came in midseason without any prior snaps whatsoever, was surrounded by inexperience and then got hurt... then you and I don't approach reason the same way.

How can you say that when the dismal seasonal we just had was with "throwing" QB's? JJ's QB rating and completion percentage were better than SW last year. I am sure JJ ran for more yds than SW and pretty sure we won more game with JJ starting than SW.

What has changed to say that SW will be better this year? Or JJ for the fact? JFIII was brought in to the be QB. Will he,I don't know. But the fact that GM brought another QB in with a completely different skill set than the others says it all to me; CGM did not like what was on campus and did not think they were the answer for the coming year.

It also amazes me how many times people have to have it explained to them that last year was a perfect storm of issues. Let me break it down for you...

The fact that we used pocket passing QBs last year had nothing to do with success or failure. The fact that our starting QB lost his vision (if he ever had it) and our backup got hurt just as he was finding his groove did hurt.

Jeremy had a better QBR than Sean for 2 reasons. 1, he spent a lot of the games following his interception fests making only short passes. 2, Sean was making good passes only to have our receivers not make the catch.

Jeremy did run more than Sean, partially because he's the more natural runner of the two (though he's still not a natural runner), but also because, when Jeremy was pulled, Gus tried (and failed) to protect Sean from getting hurt.

The fact that we lost with Sean at QB said very little about him as a QB and a lot about the team as a whole. In fact, he had the best run as a passer at Auburn since Craig was our QB, and that was with very little help from his receivers.

What has changed to say Sean will be better? I don't know... maybe that he isn't trying to play with an injured foot and knee. I think the fact that he can account for around 750 yards of offense in 3 games is all that needs to be said. As for Jeremy, no one will know where his head is until he's out there. We've all seen him play well, so we know he has the potential.

Franklin was brought in as an option. There's no doubt that Gus would love to have a dual-threat QB, because it usually makes up for some other shortcomings on the team. Recruiting John was a no-brainer because he could become that dual-threat, but if he doesn't he's incredibly fast and Gus has all kinds of uses for fast. That being said, there is no way any sane coach is going to discard his experienced QBs and hang his hat on an undersized, part-time Juco QB, especially when both have played very well when not injured or mentally encumbered. John's going to get a chance to become that dual-threat, but all reports available say that he's only a single-threat at the moment. Hopefully he works his butt off over the summer and can be the next Nick... but anyone who puts money down on it now is taking a big risk.

We were a very pedestrian football team last year because we were running with our 3rd string running back for most of the year, no top receivers, a first year center who took several games to get it, and only had a QB running the whole playbook with no mental or physical issues, for two... maybe 3 games.

Agree. Sean is the only QB i trust at this point to convert on 3rd down passing situations.

Gus felt this way last year too. I still think they have the most trust in him right now but are giving JJ & JF3 a chance to build that trust.

Absolutely, at this point in the year (spring) you certainly don't decide you have your QB and just concentrate on that guy.

Just as we watched with a number of schools last year (including AU) you never know when #1 might go down and with no advance notice, #2 or #3 needs to step in and seamlessly run the offense.

How can you say that when the dismal seasonal we just had was with "throwing" QB's?

*Starts to bang head against keyboard... pauses*

*Realizes the guy answered his own question... then bangs head against keyboard even harder*

Also, if you think it stands to reason that Sean White will be a "very pedestrian" QB in 2016 because he only did sorta well as a redshirt freshman who came in midseason without any prior snaps whatsoever, was surrounded by inexperience and then got hurt... then you and I don't approach reason the same way.

You offer nothing to indicate that anything I said was wrong except you disagree with it. That's OK. I offered some facts, but some of mine is opinion. Please provide something to say SW will be better next year besides hyperbole and he is "accurate". Please let me know which of the below statements are not correct?

SW is not as good runner as JJ and probably JFIII.

JJ had a higher QB rating than SW

JJ had a higher completion percentage than SW.

JJ has a stronger arm than.

JJ threw for more TD's

JJ threw more int's.

SW was hurt last year. Can we say definitely that SW will be better with healing?

Lastly, why do you think CGM brings in another QB when he had 2 starters coming back from last year?

I think all the QBs on the roster are going to be amazing!

Gus brought in JF3 for depth and also for his superior talent.

With the defense we will field this year, the offense won't HAVE to do too much.

You offer nothing to indicate that anything I said was wrong except you disagree with it.

Huh? You challenged another poster who suggested that we don't require a DT quarterback by citing last year's quarterbacks... which is a common and ridiculous thing that the "gotta have a DT QB" crowd likes to do... but then you responded to yourself by acknowledging that their problem wasn't that they were pocket guys, but that they just didn't perform well, period. I agree with that last part. I'm just really confused at why you shaped your response the way you did.

Please provide something to say SW will be better next year besides hyperbole and he is "accurate".

Players usually get better with more experience, more reps, more time in the system, more experience and talent around them and fully functioning legs? Like, these are really common, sensible, obvious notions.

Please let me know which of the below statements are not correct?

SW is not as good runner as JJ- Incorrect. Either way, doesn't mean in any way that White isn't a better quarterback.

and probably JFIII.- Correct. See above.

JJ had a higher QB rating than SW- Correct. Do you honestly think that holds true if White stays healthy?

JJ had a higher completion percentage than SW.- Correct. See above.

JJ has a stronger arm than.- Probably. Meaningful, but not if he's a lesser quarterback overall.

JJ threw for more TD's- Correct. See above.

JJ threw more int's.- Correct. Not sure why relevant.

SW was hurt last year.- Correct. VERY relevant.

Can we say definitely that SW will be better with healing?- Definitely? Like, the literal, dictionary definition of definitely? Come on, man.

Lastly, why do you think CGM brings in another QB when he had 2 starters coming back from last year?- You do realize that one of those starters had the worst 3 game start to a season of any SEC quarterback in 10 years, right? And then his backup got hurt, and the other guy's throwing arm was in a sling. Do you see a theme here? It's called depth, and we has none. Also, JFIII was available, and can still be an extremely dangerous weapon in a number of ways other than being the every down quarterback. He has elite speed and skills with the ball in his hand. You find a spot for a guy like that on your team. And if he's better than the QBs on the roster, great. If he's not, he's still a huge asset.

You offer nothing to indicate that anything I said was wrong except you disagree with it.

Huh? You challenged another poster who suggested that we don't require a DT quarterback by citing last year's quarterbacks... which is a common and ridiculous thing that the "gotta have a DT QB" crowd likes to do... but then you responded to yourself by acknowledging that their problem wasn't that they were pocket guys, but that they just didn't perform well, period. I agree with that last part. I'm just really confused at why you shaped your response the way you did.

Please provide something to say SW will be better next year besides hyperbole and he is "accurate".

Players usually get better with more experience, more reps, more time in the system, more experience and talent around them and fully functioning legs? Like, these are really common, sensible, obvious notions.

Please let me know which of the below statements are not correct?

SW is not as good runner as JJ- Incorrect. Either way, doesn't mean in any way that White isn't a better quarterback.

and probably JFIII.- Correct. See above.

JJ had a higher QB rating than SW- Correct. Do you honestly think that holds true if White stays healthy?

JJ had a higher completion percentage than SW.- Correct. See above.

JJ has a stronger arm than.- Probably. Meaningful, but not if he's a lesser quarterback overall.

JJ threw for more TD's- Correct. See above.

JJ threw more int's.- Correct. Not sure why relevant.

SW was hurt last year.- Correct. VERY relevant.

Can we say definitely that SW will be better with healing?- Definitely? Like, the literal, dictionary definition of definitely? Come on, man.

Lastly, why do you think CGM brings in another QB when he had 2 starters coming back from last year?- You do realize that one of those starters had the worst 3 game start to a season of any SEC quarterback in 10 years, right? And then his backup got hurt, and the other guy's throwing arm was in a sling. Do you see a theme here? It's called depth, and we has none. Also, JFIII was available, and can still be an extremely dangerous weapon in a number of ways other than being the every down quarterback. He has elite speed and skills with the ball in his hand. You find a spot for a guy like that on your team. And if he's better than the QBs on the roster, great. If he's not, he's still a huge asset.

See, with a karma system, I could have given you a point right here! You sell yourself too short!!!

Replacing two Tackles does concern me with SW as a starter b/c he isn't that mobile...

I'll have to argue that point. Look at his film. He moves A LOT and throws accurately on the run. Granted, he doesn't have SEC linebackers on his butt in his film, but he is effective avoiding pressure to get the pass off.

Whether he's "fragile" or not remains to be seen. He'll have to get hurt again for me to consider slapping that label on him.

I think Sean is mobile enough to keep defenses honest (I should've said that instead). At this point i consider him more mobile than JJ. I will say this: As far as talent and athletic ability at QB JJ is better than the others as the total package. But we all know JJ has to prove it in a game. Until he does all he is is a good practice QB. I have nothing against JJ and if he can turn it around great but he's def. going to have to show it in an actual game for me to believe in him again.

Aw shucks.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a point from at least one other poster :P

It is a no win scenario if everyone gets to give and take points. Still 80 would have lost lots more karma for laying all of those questions on you 18 minutes after I answered all of them 2 posts above his...

JJ threw for more TD's

JJ threw more int's.

SW was hurt last year. Can we say definitely that SW will be better with healing?

Lastly, why do you think CGM brings in another QB when he had 2 starters coming back from last year?

I think Sean is mobile enough to keep defenses honest (I should've said that instead). At this point i consider him more mobile than JJ. I will say this: As far as talent and athletic ability at QB JJ is better than the others as the total package. But we all know JJ has to prove it in a game. Until he does all he is is a good practice QB. I have nothing against JJ and if he can turn it around great but he's def. going to have to show it in an actual game for me to believe in him again.

Absolutely zero disagreement from me there. Jeremy has all of the measurables and potential in the world. On paper, he is the prototypical star QB.

JJ threw for more TD's

JJ threw more int's.

To avoid any debate about your above comments, I will say you are right. With that being said... Why did the coaches elect to start an injured Sean White over Jeremy Johnson in the bowl game?

Regardless of who the starter is in 2016, the offense won't click unless the coaches have confidence in the starting QB. I have no problem with JJ starting unless Malzahn schemes to protect him as he did during JJ's last 4 starts. Based on where the ball was targeted in 2015, it was clear the coaches had more trust in SW throwing vertically than JJ. During JJ's first 3 starts, 37.5% of his pass attempts were within 5 yards of the LOS. During his last 4 starts, it increased to 54.3%. This is why JJ had a higher completion percentage, which also padded his passer rating. During White's 6 starts, 38.6% of his pass attempts were within 5-yds of the LOS.

For the season, JJ averaged 6.71 yards per attempt to White's 8.15 yards. JJ averaged 11.1 yards per completion compared to White's 14.0 yards per completion. Now we add JFIII to the mix and he averaged 6.67 yards per attempt and 11.4 yards per completion at the JUCO level. He had a higher passer rating than JJ and SW but his numbers were masked by a high number of short passes that padded his completion rate and QB rating.

During JJ's last 3 starts, 61.2% of his pass attempts were within 5-yards of the LOS. From 2009-2015, Auburn is 11-19 in games the Tigers were held to under 7-yards per pass attempt with an average score of 21 points. During the same period, Auburn is 34-5 in games they averaged over 8-yards per attempt.

For a moment, forget the names of the QB's in competition to be the 2016 starter. If Auburn doesn't attack vertically in the passing game, the offense will be destined to fail. Sean White completed 20 of 28 passes against Mississippi State but for only 6.7 yards per attempt. Auburn scored 9 points.

It comes down to "trust", which is why I don't care who the starter is but it is vital Auburn can open up the playbook with the starter. It is a fine line to walk but the difference between winning 3-4 more games. When you consider 60% of Malzahn's 15-yard plays or more come via the passing game and 66% of the 30-yard plays come via the passing game, having a vertical pass offense is essential to having an explosive offense.

Thanks Stat. Can always count on you to bring the proof to back up my ramblings :)

For a moment, forget the names of the QB's in competition to be the 2016 starter. If Auburn doesn't attack vertically in the passing game, the offense will be destined to fail. Sean White completed 20 of 28 passes against Mississippi State but for only 6.7 yards per attempt. Auburn scored 9 points.

It comes down to "trust", which is why I don't care who the starter is but it is vital Auburn can open up the playbook with the starter. It is a fine line to walk but the difference between winning 3-4 more games. When you consider 60% of Malzahn's 15-yard plays or more come via the passing game and 66% of the 30-yard plays come via the passing game, having a vertical pass offense is essential to having an explosive offense.

This really is what it comes down to.

Aw shucks.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a point from at least one other poster :P/>

It is a no win scenario if everyone gets to give and take points. Still 80 would have lost lots more karma for laying all of those questions on you 18 minutes after I answered all of them 2 posts above his...

There's that. Oh well. They'll all be asked again soon enough.

Archived