New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Aw shucks.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a point from at least one other poster :P/>

LOL

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a moment, forget the names of the QB's in competition to be the 2016 starter. If Auburn doesn't attack vertically in the passing game, the offense will be destined to fail. Sean White completed 20 of 28 passes against Mississippi State but for only 6.7 yards per attempt. Auburn scored 9 points.

It comes down to "trust", which is why I don't care who the starter is but it is vital Auburn can open up the playbook with the starter. It is a fine line to walk but the difference between winning 3-4 more games. When you consider 60% of Malzahn's 15-yard plays or more come via the passing game and 66% of the 30-yard plays come via the passing game, having a vertical pass offense is essential to having an explosive offense.

This really is what it comes down to.

For a moment, forget the names of the QB's in competition to be the 2016 starter. If Auburn doesn't attack vertically in the passing game, the offense will be destined to fail. Sean White completed 20 of 28 passes against Mississippi State but for only 6.7 yards per attempt. Auburn scored 9 points.

It comes down to "trust", which is why I don't care who the starter is but it is vital Auburn can open up the playbook with the starter. It is a fine line to walk but the difference between winning 3-4 more games. When you consider 60% of Malzahn's 15-yard plays or more come via the passing game and 66% of the 30-yard plays come via the passing game, having a vertical pass offense is essential to having an explosive offense.

This really is what it comes down to.

Eight teams in school history attempted at least 200 passes during a season and averaged at least 8-yards per pass attempt. They combined for a record of 85-18-0. This includes the 2010, 2013 and 2014 Auburn offenses. On the other hand, 12 teams with at least 200 pass attempts with under 7-yards per attempt finished with a combined record of 78-57-4. This includes the 2011 Auburn offense.

That's a very interesting statistic. Such a slim margin.

How can you say that when the dismal seasonal we just had was with "throwing" QB's? JJ's QB rating and completion percentage were better than SW last year. I am sure JJ ran for more yds than SW and pretty sure we won more game with JJ starting than SW.

What has changed to say that SW will be better this year? Or JJ for the fact? JFIII was brought in to the be QB. Will he,I don't know. But the fact that GM brought another QB in with a completely different skill set than the others says it all to me; CGM did not like what was on campus and did not think they were the answer for the coming year.

We are a very pedestrian football team with the other 2 at QB. It is not because they are not runners, but IMO because they are very average overall QB's.

It also amazes me how many times people have to have it explained to them that last year was a perfect storm of issues. Let me break it down for you...

The fact that we used pocket passing QBs last year had nothing to do with success or failure. The fact that our starting QB lost his vision (if he ever had it) and our backup got hurt just as he was finding his groove did hurt. Not much fact but opinion. That's ok. Mine happens to be different.

Jeremy had a better QBR than Sean for 2 reasons. 1, he spent a lot of the games following his interception fests making only short passes. 2, Sean was making good passes only to have our receivers not make the catch. Sounds like excuse making to me. Until you compare the drops for both QBs and the great catches that should have been incompletions, it is hard to say 1 QB had worse luck than the other

Jeremy did run more than Sean, partially because he's the more natural runner of the two (though he's still not a natural runner), but also because, when Jeremy was pulled, Gus tried (and failed) to protect Sean from getting hurt. And he got hurt anyway. SW will never be a run threat and that is a problem in this offense (IMO)

The fact that we lost with Sean at QB said very little about him as a QB and a lot about the team as a whole. In fact, he had the best run as a passer at Auburn since Craig was our QB, and that was with very little help from his receivers. But that run really doesn't mean anything. How many QB's have played at AU since then are better than what we have now that did not hit this 3 game mark? Ben Leard, Jason Campbell, Brandon Cox, Cam Newton, Chris Todd, Nick Marshall. I consider all of these better than our current guys and none of them threw for 250+ in 3 straight games.

What has changed to say Sean will be better? I don't know... maybe that he isn't trying to play with an injured foot and knee. I think the fact that he can account for around 750 yards of offense in 3 games is all that needs to be said. As for Jeremy, no one will know where his head is until he's out there. We've all seen him play well, so we know he has the potential. This is fair. Hopefully SW would be better but there is no guarantee

Franklin was brought in as an option. There's no doubt that Gus would love to have a dual-threat QB, because it usually makes up for some other shortcomings on the team. Recruiting John was a no-brainer because he could become that dual-threat, but if he doesn't he's incredibly fast and Gus has all kinds of uses for fast. That being said, there is no way any sane coach is going to discard his experienced QBs and hang his hat on an undersized, part-time Juco QB, especially when both have played very well when not injured or mentally encumbered. John's going to get a chance to become that dual-threat, but all reports available say that he's only a single-threat at the moment. Hopefully he works his butt off over the summer and can be the next Nick... but anyone who puts money down on it now is taking a big risk. While Franklin was brought as an option it is because there is a need at the QB position. If we had been set at QB or GM thought that either JJ or SW could do the job, then I don't think GM would have ever signed Franklin. Franklin has come to play QB, not run speed sweeps

We were a very pedestrian football team last year because we were running with our 3rd string running back for most of the year, no top receivers, a first year center who took several games to get it, and only had a QB running the whole playbook with no mental or physical issues, for two... maybe 3 games. OK, this is really weak. I think nearly all agree that our RB were a very good group and almost interchangeable. Yes JR seems to be the best of the group, but all the RB's could do the job. I agree with no standout receiver, but that had an impact on all our QBs.

Aw shucks.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a point from at least one other poster :P/>

You are hereby awarded....one internet loaded fries and beverage of choice..

Dude, I hit my goal weight this morning. Gratefully accepted!

Edit: Hmm, that might help explain why I'm offering unnecessarily testy retorts elsewhere...

Breaking it down by games, Auburn is 111-18-0 from 1992-2015, averaging at least 8-yards per pass attempt and 46-66-2, when averaging under 7-yards per pass attempt.

Jeremy had a better QBR than Sean for 2 reasons. 1, he spent a lot of the games following his interception fests making only short passes. 2, Sean was making good passes only to have our receivers not make the catch.

Sounds like excuse making to me. Until you compare the drops for both QBs and the great catches that should have been incompletions, it is hard to say 1 QB had worse luck than the other

See Stat's post above for numbers to back up my position

Jeremy did run more than Sean, partially because he's the more natural runner of the two (though he's still not a natural runner), but also because, when Jeremy was pulled, Gus tried (and failed) to protect Sean from getting hurt.

And he got hurt anyway. SW will never be a run threat and that is a problem in this offense (IMO)

Yes he did... it's called football. It's kind of a rough sport. Sean is as much of a threat to run as Jeremy. They may be different kinds of runs, but he can and will tuck and go, and unlike Jeremy, will do it with authority. Jeremy runs tentatively.

The fact that we lost with Sean at QB said very little about him as a QB and a lot about the team as a whole. In fact, he had the best run as a passer at Auburn since Craig was our QB, and that was with very little help from his receivers.

But that run really doesn't mean anything. How many QB's have played at AU since then are better than what we have now that did not hit this 3 game mark? Ben Leard, Jason Campbell, Brandon Cox, Cam Newton, Chris Todd, Nick Marshall. I consider all of these better than our current guys and none of them threw for 250+ in 3 straight games.

Putting up 250 yards in the air against 3 SEC opponents doesn't mean anything? Ok........

Also, our current group of QBs has the potential to be better than Leard, Cox, Todd and, except for his final season, Campbell. You would think with examples like Campbell that you would not be one to judge the talents of a player based on one totally snake bit season.

While Franklin was brought as an option it is because there is a need at the QB position. If we had been set at QB or GM thought that either JJ or SW could do the job, then I don't think GM would have ever signed Franklin. Franklin has come to play QB, not run speed sweeps

Heck yea there's a need at the QB position. If Jeremy can't get his head straight and Queen can't get healthy, then we only have 1 QB without John. That being said, I totally disagree that Gus didn't have a backup plan for a lightning fast athlete who might be able to play QB. If Gus decided from the moment he offered John that he was going to be our QB, then for the first time ever, I'm on the fire Gus bandwagon, because that would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of a SEC head coach doing. He's not Cam... heck, at this point he isn't even Nick.

OK, this is really weak. I think nearly all agree that our RB were a very good group and almost interchangeable. Yes JR seems to be the best of the group, but all the RB's could do the job. I agree with no standout receiver, but that had an impact on all our QBs.

No, nearly all agree that Barber had a heck of a lot of heart and gave 110%, but he also had mediocre vision, at best, and no break-away speed. Look at our starting running backs for the past 10+ years. How many were drafted or at least played in the NFL? Almost all of them. Barber will be lucky to get a tryout after the draft (fingers crossed for him, because he's a great kid). He was 3rd string for a reason. Robinson and hopefully Roc, based on what we are hearing this year, are NFL quality backs.

As for the receivers, that had far more of an impact on Sean because, as you can see from Stat's numbers, Sean threw a lot more past 5 yards than Jeremy. In the Arkansas game alone, drops probably cost Sean at least 100 yards on his stat sheet.

It's up to the coaches to get the most out of Sean with the play calling. They can't put him out there and expect him to run it more than he throws it. If Gus & Rhett do their job, defenses will have to respect the run AND the pass.

SW passing with Jovon/Roc in the backfield...that's what I envision.

And IMO....if JF starts against Clemson, Gus needs to call Mayflower

It's up to the coaches to get the most out of Sean with the play calling. They can't put him out there and expect him to run it more than he throws it. If Gus & Rhett do their job, defenses will have to respect the run AND the pass.

SW passing with Jovon/Roc in the backfield...that's what I envision.

And IMO....if JF starts against Clemson, Gus needs to call Mayflower

I've stated this over and over regarding SW. SW can be very effective with the right game plan. I feel like that is a part of what hinders SW. We could've helped him out with passes to Roc/Jovon...esp. Roc and let them make plays in the open field. Would be nice to have a TE as well and actually use them.

But why don't you think JF3 can be effective?

Breaking it down by games, Auburn is 111-18-0 from 1992-2015, averaging at least 8-yards per pass attempt and 46-66-2, when averaging under 7-yards per pass attempt.

1 yard makes a ton of difference apparently. That is one scary statistic.

I am sure if you look closer at the years that averaged over 8 yards per catch, there were a lot of short pass that were made longer bu the run after the catch as well as some very long passes, Not arguing that you have to have a viable passing game, but sometimes it not just the way it looks, Also the running game average per yards also has to do with other things like blocking by the line and also the downfield block which were excellent in 2010 and 2013. While statistics can show a pattern, the cause of the pattern can be shaped by many things. WDE

Sean White will not, hopefully not, have another snap as QB. Anyone justifying him using stats, just look at the teams he started against. They were lower-tier. I'd much rather have JJ start than SW White presents absolutely no run threat, which we NEED in our system. Hopefully it's either JF3 or JJ at QB.

How much of a run threat is JJ, actually? More than SW? I'll concede. But, aside from some designed draws run in a straight line behind a lineman, JJ hasn't shown to be much of a threat running the football. I still think he's a guy who doesn't enjoy contact, and who doesn't possess particularly good instincts for running the ball. I understand we are comparing him to SW, but I don't think JJ's running ability is so much greater than SW's as to warrant us overlooking his glaring incompetencies (based upon last season) throwing the football down the field.

My point is that while SW might not present a threat running the ball, JJ isn't much more of a threat himself. Of course that's my opinion.

Sean White will tuck it and run it if needed. He doesn't need to be running the zone read very often though. That doesn't mean he couldn't run our offense, or that it NEEDS to be zone read heavy.

I'm no where close to sold on SW being able to run this O... Maybe he can, but I haven't seen proof. I'm not sold on stats, the pressure of the QB run opens the game up so much more that a DT QB can hit 20% less passes and still be more successful. A DT with 150 rush and 100 pass will open up the RB to do a lot more than a QB with 20 rush and 250 pass yds. It this O anyway. Look up the games where we had QB rushing yds over 75 per game and see if the O wasn't more potent than games with less QB rushing???

You know what an effective passing game can do? Yep, open up the running lanes.

Sean White will not, hopefully not, have another snap as QB. Anyone justifying him using stats, just look at the teams he started against. They were lower-tier. I'd much rather have JJ start than SW White presents absolutely no run threat, which we NEED in our system. Hopefully it's either JF3 or JJ at QB.

How much of a run threat is JJ, actually? More than SW? I'll concede. But, aside from some designed draws run in a straight line behind a lineman, JJ hasn't shown to be much of a threat running the football. I still think he's a guy who doesn't enjoy contact, and who doesn't possess particularly good instincts for running the ball. I understand we are comparing him to SW, but I don't think JJ's running ability is so much greater than SW's as to warrant us overlooking his glaring incompetencies (based upon last season) throwing the football down the field.

My point is that while SW might not present a threat running the ball, JJ isn't much more of a threat himself. Of course that's my opinion.

Sean White will tuck it and run it if needed. He doesn't need to be running the zone read very often though. That doesn't mean he couldn't run our offense, or that it NEEDS to be zone read heavy.

Never said that he couldn't... :dunno:

Sorry, my reply was really to the Logan guy. I should have edited that out.

Never said that he couldn't... :dunno:/>

I should have figured that. No worries my man!

There is tendency to ignore SW or JJ on the zone-read plays and it's good for them to keep every now and then just to keep the LBs honest. My view,.... I would not be looking for either one of them carry the ball often....but nice to sneak in a surprise every now and then.

SW is not as good runner as JJ and probably JFIII.

JJ had a higher QB rating than SW

JJ had a higher completion percentage than SW.

JJ has a stronger arm than.

JJ threw for more TD's

JJ threw more int's.

SW was hurt last year. Can we say definitely that SW will be better with healing?

Lastly, why do you think CGM brings in another QB when he had 2 starters coming back from last year?

To avoid any debate about your above comments, I will say you are right. With that being said... Why did the coaches elect to start an injured Sean White over Jeremy Johnson in the bowl game?

Regardless of who the starter is in 2016, the offense won't click unless the coaches have confidence in the starting QB. I have no problem with JJ starting unless Malzahn schemes to protect him as he did during JJ's last 4 starts. Based on where the ball was targeted in 2015, it was clear the coaches had more trust in SW throwing vertically than JJ. During JJ's first 3 starts, 37.5% of his pass attempts were within 5 yards of the LOS. During his last 4 starts, it increased to 54.3%. This is why JJ had a higher completion percentage, which also padded his passer rating. During White's 6 starts, 38.6% of his pass attempts were within 5-yds of the LOS.

For the season, JJ averaged 6.71 yards per attempt to White's 8.15 yards. JJ averaged 11.1 yards per completion compared to White's 14.0 yards per completion. Now we add JFIII to the mix and he averaged 6.67 yards per attempt and 11.4 yards per completion at the JUCO level. He had a higher passer rating than JJ and SW but his numbers were masked by a high number of short passes that padded his completion rate and QB rating.

During JJ's last 3 starts, 61.2% of his pass attempts were within 5-yards of the LOS. From 2009-2015, Auburn is 11-19 in games the Tigers were held to under 7-yards per pass attempt with an average score of 21 points. During the same period, Auburn is 34-5 in games they averaged over 8-yards per attempt.

Good stuff!

The Doc has to weigh in on this important subject. JFIII will win the job and will be a nightmare for SEC defenses come fall. Why do I feel this? I think he has the factor that the other QBs are lacking at this point and time.

I have too much time on my hands so here are the last 4 starts of each QB with total yardage and passing yards. You can take from this info what you'd like but my biggest takeaway is the loss of the running game against UGA and Bama. Alabama and Georgia are arguably two of the tougher defenses so that should be considered as well. Another thing that stood out was the amount of yards each opponent had compared to Auburn. Even the lesser teams like Idaho and UK out gained Auburn. If Auburn's defense is going to much improved this season then it may only take a QB that can manage the offense and keep it moving to win a lot of these tight games.

WHITE

UK - 407 yds 255 yds passing

Ark -416 250 yds passing

Ole Miss - 427- 300 yds passing

Memphis - 402yds - 150yds passing

JJ

TAMU - 443 - 311yds rushing

UGA - 275 - 62 passing yds

Idaho - 460yds - 163yds passing

Bama -261 yds - 170 yds passing with sub .500%

I'm glad Cole didn't feel like arguing with Stat over this this. I would have hated to see how long this would have gone on if he did. ;D/>

Thought the same

:popcorn:/>

It pains me to see cole forced into these arguments. Poor guy. Now he has armies against him. He brings absolutely none of this on himself.

Yep it was my fault, I shouldn't have ever said I think SW weakness is stretching the field lol. I forgot on here you have to say SW has no weaknesses!

My bad. And for the record I haven't EVER come after the fact and tried to pile on when two other people are having a disagreement.....You haven't ever for example saw me bump a thread and say tiger88 has a bad attitude.... that seems to behis demeanor every time he posts...also I haven't ever had a problem for saying JJ sucks but it's WWIII for me saying SW deep ball is his biggest weakness in his game...

Anybody on here can say what they want about how I supposedly feel about SW but nobody on here can say I've ever said anything worse than I think he's average to above average and he hasn't played a defense that's good yet and that's the absolute WORSE thing I've ever said about this guy, I've seen some of you talk worse about a junior prospect in high school.....If that upset some of you so bad...I mean,....sorry? I guess.

Yep it was my fault, I shouldn't have ever said I think SW weakness is stretching the field lol. I forgot on here you have to say SW has no weaknesses!

My bad. And for the record I haven't EVER come after the fact and tried to pile on when two other people are having a disagreement.....You haven't ever for example saw me bump a thread and say tiger88 has a bad attitude.... that seems to behis demeanor every time he posts...also I haven't ever had a problem for saying JJ sucks but it's WWIII for me saying SW deep ball is his biggest weakness in his game...

Anybody on here can say what they want about how I supposedly feel about SW but nobody on here can say I've ever said anything worse than I think he's average to above average and he hasn't played a defense that's good yet and that's the absolute WORSE thing I've ever said about this guy, I've seen some of you talk worse about a junior prospect in high school.....If that upset some of you so bad...I mean,....sorry? I guess.

Manpon? Kleenex? Lighten up man, you're taking things a bit too seriously. If I was bored and had the urge I could debunk most of what you posted here, but I am busy and disinterested in arguing with you. Unlike yourself, I won't make that claim and then go on a multi thread rampage of arguments with half the board.

Archived