New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Jeremy has all the physical assets to be dominant, and thus far seems to have very few of the necessary mental assets to do the same. Maybe he can do better this year the way Leard and Campbell eventually did after poor junior campaigns.

You're thinking of Leard's Soph season (1998). Leard had a terrific Junior season (1999) in just 7 games played. 12 TDs, 1 INT, 70.7% Completion Pct, 170.78 Passer Rating.

And of course, this epic game....

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People say Sean looks small and fragile yet he looks big in every picture where you see him next to John. Yet, everyone expects John to carry the team on his legs, while getting hit by 300+ lb linemen with bad intentions. John is fast, but he needs to get bigger to stay healthy... Can he do that in 3 months? Will it slow him down?

I've seen this concern mentioned frequently. Nick Marshall wasn't much bigger than Franklin and minus one play in the 2013 Ole Miss game (knee tweak), managed to stay healthy running it 325 times in two seasons.

The key with Marshall is he was very good at sensing contact and often dodged it, esp big hits. He knew when to duck.

So the question is...if Franklin gets significant PT at QB...can he dodge contact like Marshall?

Franklin would be running mostly to the perimeter of the defense, like Marshall, and not like Cam, where hits by 300 lbers are rare.

I'm just not a believer that a DT QB must weigh 200+ to stay healthy. If he can sense contact like Marshall, weight is a moot point.

McCalebb, at 10-20 lbs less than Franklin, who also ran perimeter plays and was good at sensing contact, stayed healthy for four seasons.

Thanks WDE, and I hope you have one too. Folks get way to carried away about this stuff. I know it is important for some to impress folks with their knowledge and their connections. Truth is if we were as good as some believe, we would be making a million bucks coaching a D1 school. That said, if I sound like I sunshine pump them I am sorry. My point is just like other things in life, you can make a point without speaking bad of someone else. If anyone thinks that SW or JJ was the sole reason we lost 6 games last year they are sadly mistaken. The other point is that if AU loses another six games this year, so what. Auburn is more than winning and losing ballgames. Football is too. It is like HS, about turning young men into adults. If you really want to talk bad about players do it about pro players, that do it for a job and actually make money for it. My idea of a successful season is that none of our players are seriously hurt and we don't commit any major infractions and our players graduate and go on to live great lives. If my opinion differs from yours then maybe you should re-assess what you value. WDE

Awesome post

People say Sean looks small and fragile yet he looks big in every picture where you see him next to John. Yet, everyone expects John to carry the team on his legs, while getting hit by 300+ lb linemen with bad intentions. John is fast, but he needs to get bigger to stay healthy... Can he do that in 3 months? Will it slow him down?

I've seen this concern mentioned frequently. Nick Marshall wasn't much bigger than Franklin and minus one play in the 2013 Ole Miss game (knee tweak), managed to stay healthy running it 325 times in two seasons.

The key with Marshall is he was very good at sensing contact and often dodged it, esp big hits. He knew when to duck.

So the question is...if Franklin gets significant PT at QB...can he dodge contact like Marshall?

Franklin would be running mostly to the perimeter of the defense, like Marshall, and not like Cam, where hits by 300 lbers are rare.

I'm just not a believer that a DT QB must weigh 200+ to stay healthy. If he can sense contact like Marshall, weight is a moot point.

McCalebb, at 10-20 lbs less than Franklin, who also ran perimeter plays and was good at sensing contact, stayed healthy for four seasons.

i think Marshall was a right smart bigger than JF3.

i think Marshall was a right smart bigger than JF3.

Marshall was 205 (20 lbs heavier than Franklin now) when he ran for 1,095 yards in JUCO.

Up to 210 by the time he started for Auburn. And I remember all the concerns in August 2013 that he needed to gain weight in order to stay healthy because Cam was 250.

Different running styles. And more to the point, different running routes.

Sean White completed 34.5% (40.0% before his knee injury).

And if I remember correctly at least a few of those 8 drops in the Arky game by our WRs were 20 yards + down the field so that % could easily be higher.

Sean White is the best pure passer currently on the roster.

This should not even need to be said. It's a virtual given right now.

This one also Stat. Many great downfield throws

Yeah, but how many of those passes were thrown with the wind at his back? I can usually throw the ball about 50 yards, but if you watched me throw in a hurricane, you might think I can throw it 80. I also noticed that none of those throws were made in the rain. Its easy to make him look like he can throw downfield when you pick and choose only those throws made in ideal conditions.

I'm kidding, of course. I agree that Sean White has adequate arm strength to play at this level. I guess the statistics are what they are, but I also felt like I didn't get enough of a sample size from last season to make any definite opinions of him. A lot of that had to do with playing time, his injury, and especially play calling. I'm excited to see him play healthy, and hopefully with improved line and receiver play. More than anything, I'd like to see him play without being handcuffed by conservative play calls. To credit the coaches, if my memory serves me right, they did start to open things up more before his injury.

As far as deep balls go, Auburn does benefit from having a quarterback with well above average arm strength. I'm sure ever team would benefit from it, but we have some staple play action deep passes that require very long drops, and take a long time to develop, requiring really good arm strength to make an accurate throw. They also seemed like they were going for 10+ yard losses more than 40 yard gains last season, but that's another story. Sean White is a timing thrower. When he's in rhythm and on time, he's actually very accurate on long throws. That being said, I don't think he's a guy who is going to save a play with his arm, and I also don't remember him throwing any deep balls up and ahead of receivers to run under. He throws more of a line drive ball. That's not a bad thing when he's on time, which is why I say that he has adequate arm strength to make all the throws. I just don't think he's the guy who will bail you out with his arm strength. He's someone who I think will bail you out with his pocket awareness, knowing where guys are on the field, and throwing accurately. As long as he's smart with the football, he's someone who has the potential to win a lot of games for us.

Highlight video is so biased.

I noticed in the video there was not one picture of him throwing into hurricane or tropical storm force winds. So what happens when Auburn is playing and we have tropical storm or hurricane speed winds? How is he going to be able to throw then?

Bottom line those highlight videos are so biased showing SW only when he has a 20 to 30 knot tailwind, instead of throwing into a 20 to 30 knot headwind.

It's hard to hurt a guy if you can't catch him or be in a position to get a shot in on him. I've seen both NM and JF3 in person without pads, and neither look like they'd be treated to well by SEC linebackers. That doesn't mean that they will be fragile. How big was Johnny Football? It's all about knowing how to take hits and protect yourself.

We've heard reports from "insiders" that all 3 are likely to be the starter. 2 of them said its not even close. Lol! I love Spring Ball!

Obviously we don't know anything yet.

My thoughts (worth less than 2 cents)

Scenario 1. We will likely see a 2 QB system with SW and JF3. Both will run the entire offense while in the game, but the strengths of each QB is quite obvious!

Scenario 2. Or JJ convinces everyone that his head is cured and he runs the show, becoming the star some thought he would be last year.

Folks get incredibly simple-minded when it comes to the size of football players. Same goes for certain other attributes.

Yeah, like facemask color.

Well played, sir. One internet Yalobusha to you!

Folks get incredibly simple-minded when it comes to the size of football players. Same goes for certain other attributes.

I think it would be hilarious if we had some kind of karma point system here.

Why thank you, sir.

*slight tinkling sound of glass bottles bumping together as said internet Yalobusha is slid into the cooler*

IMO there's nothing to be angry about though

Two I wasn't even talking to you and I really don't understand what makes you mad if I say if I disagree with you other I'm not really going to have to argue with you but your followers.....And sure as the sun shines your followers came arguing....And just like I said they picked certain stats to say fact and other stats like if it weren't for the drops and td's doesn't matter... But hey sorry if that made you mad. I sincerely didn't and still don't see how that would upset you, wasn't my intention.

But I still don't think I'm wrong. Don't see how anybody could compare one guy playing Kentucky and arky to another guy who played bammer LSU Georgia twice Texas a&m when they had Johnny football and say look at the ratio. Sorry, I can't do it. Nothing personal I just don't agree. That's just me.

I think it would be hilarious if we had some kind of karma point system here.

Oh boy. I'd be relegated in a heartbeat. To where, I shudder to think.

*slight tinkling sound as said internet Yalobusha is slid into the cooler*

That's what I'm talmbout...

I believe JF3 will be the starting qb before next season is over. Don't know that I'd want him in there in game 1 vs Clemson. We just need good solid play from that position whoever gets the job. JJ has a big hurdle to overcome with his performance of last season. If he rises above that then we're in for a real treat. White is solid. Gonna be fun around here.

But, but, but.....you are just manipulating stats. This s*** is highly entertaining.

Sean White's ratio of impact plays against SEC teams with a winning record is 1 every 5.87 attempts. From 1992-2014, Auburn's ratio of impact plays on pass-offense against SEC teams with a winning record was 1 every 6.14 attempts. Jeremy Johnson was 8.6 in 2015.

Every time you post a stat like that, I flash back to sitting in the stands in Arkansas, watching the ball go right through our receivers hands over and over and over.......

But, but, but.....you are just manipulating stats. This s*** is highly entertaining.

Cool story bro.

Archived