New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Folks get incredibly simple-minded when it comes to the size of football players. Same goes for certain other attributes.

Yeah, like facemask color.

Well played, sir. One internet Yalobusha to you!

Why thank you, sir.

*slight tinkling sound of glass bottles bumping together as said internet Yalobusha is slid into the cooler*

Didn't know that was an option. Have to step up my game for a Larry Brown Ale! Can't find it in the ham...

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I'm greatly looking forward to SW playing a defense with pulse. If he puts up great stats against a good defense then talking about how accurate and great of a passer he is then I'll be able to see it

Yes I'm greatly looking forward to SW playing a defense with pulse. If he puts up great stats against a good defense then talking about how accurate and great of a passer he is then I'll be able to see it

I'm actually hoping ANY of the quarterbacks on the roster to do this.

sideline%204a_zps2ter4lcb.jpg

Lol. Yeah I was just following your lead assuming SW wins the starting qb position

Sean White's ratio of impact plays against SEC teams with a winning record is 1 every 5.87 attempts. From 1992-2014, Auburn's ratio of impact plays on pass-offense against SEC teams with a winning record was 1 every 6.14 attempts. Jeremy Johnson was 8.6 in 2015.

Every time you post a stat like that, I flash back to sitting in the stands in Arkansas, watching the ball go right through our receivers hands over and over and over.......

I try not to flash back to that game. Watching "drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop" was incredibly frustrating for me as a fan. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to be the QB throwing those passes and hitting the receivers in the hands only to see those balls wind up hitting the ground. (Much credit to SW for not showing the frustration he must have felt, even in his post-game comments.)

I trust Sean's knee is 100% now and no worriess about it. ?

His foot injury the week of the Ole Miss game actually was the worse injury & lasted longer. It's the reason he could not plant & throw the last part of the season which Stat referenced. He is supposedly 100% as of a month or so ago.

I'm no where close to sold on SW being able to run this O... Maybe he can, but I haven't seen proof. I'm not sold on stats, the pressure of the QB run opens the game up so much more that a DT QB can hit 20% less passes and still be more successful. A DT with 150 rush and 100 pass will open up the RB to do a lot more than a QB with 20 rush and 250 pass yds. It this O anyway. Look up the games where we had QB rushing yds over 75 per game and see if the O wasn't more potent than games with less QB rushing???

Heard that Tyler Queen may have gotten hurt in our last practice. I read that someone on the DL flattened him and he may have a separated shoulder. Is there any truth to this?

Was he injured in the Birmingham Bowl?

Yes.

Will he be wearing a brace this year? Anything left from last season that migh affect his mobility or ability to scramble or run the occasional read-option where he's the keeper?

I'm actually hoping ANY of the quarterbacks on the roster to do this.

sideline%204a_zps2ter4lcb.jpg

Tis year there better be a Puppymonkeybaby on those cards

Yes.

Will he be wearing a brace this year? Anything left from last season that migh affect his mobility or ability to scramble or run the occasional read-option where he's the keeper?

I hope not.

Every QB will have their strong suits and we have 3 QBs that will require specific tailoring to the offense. I am excited at the idea of White, JJ or Jf3 getting the job, but I want them to win the job early in the fall so we can be good to go for Clemson. Hopefully we can get some momentum going and have a defense we can lean on.

Heard that Tyler Queen may have gotten hurt in our last practice. I read that someone on the DL flattened him and he may have a separated shoulder. Is there any truth to this?

Hope it's not serious but not sad to say i'm happy the defense is flatting people.

I'm no where close to sold on SW being able to run this O... Maybe he can, but I haven't seen proof. I'm not sold on stats, the pressure of the QB run opens the game up so much more that a DT QB can hit 20% less passes and still be more successful. A DT with 150 rush and 100 pass will open up the RB to do a lot more than a QB with 20 rush and 250 pass yds. It this O anyway. Look up the games where we had QB rushing yds over 75 per game and see if the O wasn't more potent than games with less QB rushing???

First, you need a REAL Dual Threat QB for this to be true. At present, we don't have one. We can look at the numbers from Gus's time at Auburn, but they are skewed, because one of the years we ran, we had Cam... who is... well... Cam. Then in 2013, we had the perfect storm of a fast QB, a Heisman contender running back, and a #2 overall pick Offensive Lineman... plus Prosch. In 2014, Nick became much more of a true dual threat.

Right now we have Jeremy who's 75% passer and 25% rusher. Sean who is 85% passer and 15% rusher, and John who is 80% rusher and 20% passer (if that). None of them are true dual threat, so we aren't going to put up Cam and Nick numbers running the read-option unless one of the QBs moves a lot closer to the 50-50 mark.

If we were to stick John out there, right now, you'd likely see something similar to the end of last year. We'd have some sold plays on the ground, but every time we got to 3rd and long, for whatever reason (broken play, penalty, etc.) we might as well just punt, because we don't have the passer to get the 1st.

I know that's the number one thing that made me optimistic about Sean last year. In the few games he was healthy, we actually made some long 3rd down conversions.

First, you need a REAL Dual Threat QB for this to be true. At present, we don't have one. We can look at the numbers from Gus's time at Auburn, but they are skewed, because one of the years we ran, we had Cam... who is... well... Cam. Then in 2013, we had the perfect storm of a fast QB, a Heisman contender running back, and a #2 overall pick Offensive Lineman... plus Prosch. In 2014, Nick became much more of a true dual threat.

Right now we have Jeremy who's 75% passer and 25% rusher. Sean who is 85% passer and 15% rusher, and John who is 80% rusher and 20% passer (if that). None of them are true dual threat, so we aren't going to put up Cam and Nick numbers running the read-option unless one of the QBs moves a lot closer to the 50-50 mark.

If we were to stick John out there, right now, you'd likely see something similar to the end of last year. We'd have some sold plays on the ground, but every time we got to 3rd and long, for whatever reason (broken play, penalty, etc.) we might as well just punt, because we don't have the passer to get the 1st.

I know that's the number one thing that made me optimistic about Sean last year. In the few games he was healthy, we actually made some long 3rd down conversions.

Agree. Sean is the only QB i trust at this point to convert on 3rd down passing situations.

Here's what it will come down to, in my opinion (obviously). I don't think any of the guys are head and shoulders above the others based on all the conflicting reports coming out. I think SW will need everyone around him to play at a higher level for him to have the best chance to succeed. I think the potential of JF3's athleticism puts the offense in a position where his hypothetical ability to create something positive after someone messes up their assignment is a plus for him. If Gus trusts the guys around the QB to do their jobs, SW might be the guy. If he can't trust those guys JF3 might be the best option because we will probably be needing some bail out plays.

But really, I have to think JF3's passing is really subpar. On the surface, he couldn't even start at QB on his juco team. Why didn't we offer the starter on his squad lol. I am really looking forward to A-Day because we know how much these guys can run already. I really want to see how JF3 throws. It won't tell the whole story but we can at least get an idea.

JJ had a great A-Day.

Cam Newton had a crappy A-Day.

Yes.

Don't know anything more than what I already replied yesterday saying that he 's supposedly 100% now as of a month or so ago.

People say Sean looks small and fragile yet he looks big in every picture where you see him next to John. Yet, everyone expects John to carry the team on his legs, while getting hit by 300+ lb linemen with bad intentions. John is fast, but he needs to get bigger to stay healthy... Can he do that in 3 months? Will it slow him down?

I've seen this concern mentioned frequently. Nick Marshall wasn't much bigger than Franklin and minus one play in the 2013 Ole Miss game (knee tweak), managed to stay healthy running it 325 times in two seasons.

The key with Marshall is he was very good at sensing contact and often dodged it, esp big hits. He knew when to duck.

So the question is...if Franklin gets significant PT at QB...can he dodge contact like Marshall?

Franklin would be running mostly to the perimeter of the defense, like Marshall, and not like Cam, where hits by 300 lbers are rare.

I'm just not a believer that a DT QB must weigh 200+ to stay healthy. If he can sense contact like Marshall, weight is a moot point.

McCalebb, at 10-20 lbs less than Franklin, who also ran perimeter plays and was good at sensing contact, stayed healthy for four seasons.

i think Marshall was a right smart bigger than JF3.

Marshall was 205 (20 lbs heavier than Franklin now) when he ran for 1,095 yards in JUCO.

Up to 210 by the time he started for Auburn. And I remember all the concerns in August 2013 that he needed to gain weight in order to stay healthy because Cam was 250.

Different running styles. And more to the point, different running routes.

20 lbs is a good bit bigger and I don't think JFIII is 185

https://auburn.n.rivals.com/news/jf3-displaying-strong-work-ethic-leadership

Lashlee said Franklin is up to about 185 pounds and he expects him to add more weight over the summer.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032416aac.html

Lashlee said Franklin has gained about 10 pounds since arriving and now is in the 180-185-pound range. That's pushing him toward the weight of Auburn's last duel-threat quarterback, Nick Marshall. But Marshall played at around 200 as a junior, and was up to 210 as a senior.

Agree. Sean is the only QB i trust at this point to convert on 3rd down passing situations.

Gus felt this way last year too. I still think they have the most trust in him right now but are giving JJ & JF3 a chance to build that trust.

Gus felt this way last year too. I still think they have the most trust in him right now but are giving JJ & JF3 a chance to build that trust.

That's understandable.

Sean White will not, hopefully not, have another snap as QB. Anyone justifying him using stats, just look at the teams he started against. They were lower-tier. I'd much rather have JJ start than SW White presents absolutely no run threat, which we NEED in our system. Hopefully it's either JF3 or JJ at QB.

Archived