New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that matters is wins. Which QB is going to give us that? Well, that is up to a proclaimed O guru...Gus. Gus is the puppet master at the QB position. Don't complain about the "student" athletes at QB if that position plays like crap again (like 2015), blame the puppet master.

wde

That's what I'm talmbout...

I have been saying this in my head all the way home from work.

In closing, I think all the charges against the defendant should be dropped. I'm sure whoever can football the best will be selected as first chair of the quarterbackers.

Now, I will relegate myself.

War Damn Eagle.

It's funny: we've had our lines drawn up in the sand since November on our quarterbacks, and the same people make the same arguments with the same people every few days. It's really quite simple.

As a qb, JJ has everything except accuracy and, apparently, confidence/mental toughness. Sure how it looks anyway.

Sean: from what I can tell, has everything except he's not Cam Newton's size. That and he's not as fast as Nick Marshal.

Supposedly JJ has been tearin it up in practice, but Sean is the one that gets it done on game day, where it counts. I don't understand the dislike for Sean, or even some of the criticism really. The only one I can understand is durability. Other than that, I don't. Just me I guess

It's funny: we've had our lines drawn up in the sand since November on our quarterbacks, and the same people make the same arguments with the same people every few days. It's really quite simple.

As a qb, JJ has everything except accuracy and, apparently, confidence/mental toughness. Sure how it looks anyway.

Sean: from what I can tell, has everything except he's not Cam Newton's size. That and he's not as fast as Nick Marshal.

Supposedly JJ has been tearin it up in practice, but Sean is the one that gets it done on game day, where it counts. I don't understand the dislike for Sean, or even some of the criticism really. The only one I can understand is durability. Other than that, I don't. Just me I guess

I would argue that Jeremy even has accuracy, when he's feeling confident. What he appears to lack is vision and grace under pressure.

The one other thing Sean has needed to work on is the speed of his game. He frequently needs to make decisions faster and get rid of the ball.

I would argue that Jeremy even has accuracy, when he's feeling confident. What he appears to lack is vision and grace under pressure.

The one other thing Sean has needed to work on is the speed of his game. He frequently needs to make decisions faster and get rid of the ball.

It might help to filter in some quick pass plays, and start limiting those 3-4s (seems like an eternity) double fakes with so many moving parts, where the QB ends up 10 yds behind the LOS before finally turning his head and facing the right direction. We've lost a lot of sack yardage with those over the last couple of years.

It might help to filter in some quick pass plays, and start limiting those 3-4s (seems like an eternity) double fakes with so many moving parts, where the QB ends up 10 yds behind the LOS before finally turning his head and facing the right direction. We've lost a lot of sack yardage with those over the last couple of years.

Valid points, and I agree with them all. Especially the accuracy with confidence point. But he has little confidence because he has trouble seeing the field.

I look forward to seeing the QB battle carry on into the Fall. White has the tools to be successful.

Amen and Amen.

Right now my gut feeling is that SW will be the starter and JF will have his package....if the JF package is working they will run with it more during a game, otherwise it will be SW's show.

I trust Sean's knee is 100% now and no worriess about it. ?

Valid points, and I agree with them all. Especially the accuracy with confidence point. But he has little confidence because he has trouble seeing the field.

LOL, I said two years ago that JJ lacked confidence and some frequent poster on this board (don't remember who it was) basically called me an idiot and said confidence had nothing to do with it..............

The subject has now come full circle. Guess I was kinda on to something back then? JJ has demonstrated that he simply does not have what it takes to lead this team. Will the light turn on for him this year? Who knows. But, his past performance doesn't indicate that he will be much more than a practice warrior.

LOL, I said two years ago that JJ lacked confidence and some frequent poster on this board (don't remember who it was) basically called me an idiot and said confidence had nothing to do with it..............

The subject has now come full circle. Guess I was kinda on to something back then? JJ has demonstrated that he simply does not have what it takes to lead this team. Will the light turn on for him this year? Who knows. But, his past performance doesn't indicate that he will be much more than a practice warrior.

how many times are you going to say this ?

People say Sean looks small and fragile yet he looks big in every picture where you see him next to John. Yet, everyone expects John to carry the team on his legs, while getting hit by 300+ lb linemen with bad intentions. John is fast, but he needs to get bigger to stay healthy... Can he do that in 3 months? Will it slow him down?

I've seen this concern mentioned frequently. Nick Marshall wasn't much bigger than Franklin and minus one play in the 2013 Ole Miss game (knee tweak), managed to stay healthy running it 325 times in two seasons.

The key with Marshall is he was very good at sensing contact and often dodged it, esp big hits. He knew when to duck.

So the question is...if Franklin gets significant PT at QB...can he dodge contact like Marshall?

Franklin would be running mostly to the perimeter of the defense, like Marshall, and not like Cam, where hits by 300 lbers are rare.

I'm just not a believer that a DT QB must weigh 200+ to stay healthy. If he can sense contact like Marshall, weight is a moot point.

McCalebb, at 10-20 lbs less than Franklin, who also ran perimeter plays and was good at sensing contact, stayed healthy for four seasons.

i think Marshall was a right smart bigger than JF3.

Marshall was 205 (20 lbs heavier than Franklin now) when he ran for 1,095 yards in JUCO.

Up to 210 by the time he started for Auburn. And I remember all the concerns in August 2013 that he needed to gain weight in order to stay healthy because Cam was 250.

Different running styles. And more to the point, different running routes.

20 lbs is a good bit bigger and I don't think JFIII is 185

Sean White's ratio of impact plays against SEC teams with a winning record is 1 every 5.87 attempts. From 1992-2014, Auburn's ratio of impact plays on pass-offense against SEC teams with a winning record was 1 every 6.14 attempts. Jeremy Johnson was 8.6 in 2015.

Impact plays are 15 yards or more right? Hey, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I think Cole is looking for big plays (30 yards or more) and I haven't seen any stats posted on those. I don't care if he hangs the deep ball or not. If he can throw it and complete it, or run it, or hand it off in a way that helps us score points, then play the guy (whoever it is). And yeah, you can make stats say whatever you want them to say, and yeah you can watch someone play and think whatever you want about how they play. Bottom line is scoring points and winning games. Can't argue with that.

Sean White's ratio of impact plays against SEC teams with a winning record is 1 every 5.87 attempts. From 1992-2014, Auburn's ratio of impact plays on pass-offense against SEC teams with a winning record was 1 every 6.14 attempts. Jeremy Johnson was 8.6 in 2015.

Every time you post a stat like that, I flash back to sitting in the stands in Arkansas, watching the ball go right through our receivers hands over and over and over.......

I know it's a fairly limited statistic, but Stat almost makes Sean sound like a serviceable QB. Was he injured in the Birmingham Bowl?

I think Sean COULD be the answer, but I'm worried teams won't respect the run with him. Obviously JF3 would be great with an "option" package. Hope JF3 works on his accuracy, pigs out, and hangs out in the gym a lot this summer.

Impact plays are 15 yards or more right? Hey, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I think Cole is looking for big plays (30 yards or more) and I haven't seen any stats posted on those. I don't care if he hangs the deep ball or not. If he can throw it and complete it, or run it, or hand it off in a way that helps us score points, then play the guy (whoever it is). And yeah, you can make stats say whatever you want them to say, and yeah you can watch someone play and think whatever you want about how they play. Bottom line is scoring points and winning games. Can't argue with that.

Every time you post a stat like that, I flash back to sitting in the stands in Arkansas, watching the ball go right through our receivers hands over and over and over.......

I know it's a fairly limited statistic, but Stat almost makes Sean sound like a serviceable QB. Was he injured in the Birmingham Bowl?

I think Sean COULD be the answer, but I'm worried teams won't respect the run with him. Obviously JF3 would be great with an "option" package. Hope JF3 works on his accuracy, pigs out, and hangs out in the gym a lot this summer.

What???? They may not respect the QB keep on the zone read, but they had better respect the run in general.

Sean was still coming back from injury in the bowl game and hadn't played in quite a while. He was also a RS Freshman. Give him a break man.

He has a very good group of RB's, a young but talented WR corps, a pretty good OL if they gel quickly and what looks to be an upgrade on D. I think Sean could not only be serviceable, but actually a good SEC QB if given the chance.

What's with all the hatred?

Well this got good. As a fan of both your contributions to our forums...and I mean that sh@t, let me give my 2 cents, as it applies to Sw. I am a fan of his as well. Saw the same uncoachable (by SEC level maturation) QB skills with SW at QB. Vision and reads being on another level. Accuracy is above average, and at times great, but I am very concerned about his durability and viability as a runner in the zone read. I firmly believe that in an air raid offense Sean white is a record setter. In our's....meeeehhhhh?

Nick Marshall completed 28.3% of his passes beyond 20-yards of the LOS in 2013.

Marshall improved to 39.7% in 2014.

Sean White completed 34.5% (40.0% before his knee injury). I mention the knee injury because it was his plant leg and he could no longer step into his throws.

Yeah, I saw that post. 20 yards isn't 30 yards though. Like comparing a deep square in, out route, or curl to a deep seam, deep post, deep flag, or fly/go/9 route. Totally different throws and arm strength required. Not to mention YAC yards influence. Would be interesting to see how many passes were completed that were caught 30 yards or more beyond the LOS. That would speak more to QB accuracy/arm strength than 20 yard plus completion percentage which could be YAC or 20 yards right on the money which is totally different that catching a 30 yard plus pass in stride. JMO though.

When Nick played arky in 2013 he didn't even have to pass but the one he did it went for something like a 50yd td. I can only imagine what he would have done to a weak Kentucky defense. When he played bammer both years he ate them up stretching their defense making them play the entire field....maybe SW can do it but as for now we don't know. As a matter of fact you can take SW best game and you don't see him attack a defense in the air the we've seen Marshall do it against some of the best defenses in the country....

But against the caliber of teams SW played? I'm sure if we had to pass he could have ran stats up. The arky and tenn games we played back to back he threw what 3 passes in two games? 2 went for td's? Against a team like San Jose st he played a half and JJ played right. Second time we played arky he was suspended so JJ passed all over them...

Those are things that came into my mind, I feel are worth a thought, nothing to get upset about

And then the wilderness of Orlando begat true freshman Woody Barrett, and he girded his loins and smitest the competition and begat domination over all in his way. And Canuck, Stat and Cole rested. And it was good.

When he played bammer both years he ate them up stretching their defense making them play the entire field....

Well this got good. As a fan of both your contributions to our forums...and I mean that sh@t, let me give my 2 cents, as it applies to Sw. I am a fan of his as well. Saw the same uncoachable (by SEC level maturation) QB skills with SW at QB. Vision and reads being on another level. Accuracy is above average, and at times great, but I am very concerned about his durability and viability as a runner in the zone read. I firmly believe that in an air raid offense Sean white is a record setter. In our's....meeeehhhhh?

Archived