Roc Thomas transferring to JSU

i wish him well. if he is the featured back it might help him in the pro's. i know they had a couple d linemen who got invites or whatever and were ex auburn men. auburn is my heart but being fifteen minutes from jacksonville i have big love for jax state as well. plus i knew rick burgess very very well in his rock days and he used to tell some great stories about his dad and coaching......

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that we are not losing an impact player. What I meant was that this is a perception issue. I do think the kid can play and be successful, just hasn't yet. But, losing a 5 star does not look good at all. With all that has gone on at AU and the ugly season we had last year, it just looks bad and it "appears" that Gus is losing the team. We may know better, but outside people and recruits may only see this on the surface.

Guys, if this is true, then this is just bad. Yes, I know he hasn't performed the way we wanted yet, but the kid is a talent and can be successful in the SEC. This really leaves us thin at RB. But worse than anything, this is a 5 star player that is leaving along with 11 others that have left. This is the same kind of thing that happened during the end of the Chizik era. I really, really hope that Gus is not losing this team.

But, if it is any consolation, we still have Rhett Lashlee. :gofig:/>

This one isn't on Gus. Putting Roc into the slot more was the best way to utilize Roc. Best for his future in the NFL and in big time college ball. Roc wants to be the man. And his high school coach is now at JSU and has been in Roc's ear for over a year trying to get Roc to transfer. Moving Roc more to the slot was the right call. Gus did nothing wrong here. All on Roc not wanting to move over from the RB position.

I heard differently...

Apparently, Roc was open to playing anywhere on the field... he just wanted the ball in his hands.

That's what Gus was telling him as well. The plan was to work him into a more productive role. Gus had all spring to show what he wanted out of Roc (after convincing him to stay). It didn't happen! His role in the A-Day game was about the same as his role in practice... non exhistant.

So, Roc obviously doesn't trust Gus when he says he's gonna find a way to get him the ball.

Oh well...

Y'all can try to put this all on Roc, but this is on Gus, too...

Did he state the transfer was a done deal or was he just addressing the rumors floating around?

Done unless Gus can talk Roc out of it here the very near future.

Rumors were swirling after the Birmingham Bowl, Gus addressed it and said they were false rumors. The staff has had 5 mos to show Roc that he could be an integral part of the offense this season. I really hate it, but wish him well at JSU.

None of those rumors came from reputable sources though. There are at least 3 attached to this one though,

Been brewing for a long time. Gus talked Roc into staying threw spring ball. Guess Roc wanted to be the man and not play slot. Hurts depth but not much more IMO. AU will be fine.

So on the roster we now have JR who is an every down back who was injured/in-the-doghouse last year some, KJ who is not an every down back coming off of shoulder surgery and MM who is true freshman. Looks like a pretty big freaking deal to me.

Roc was not going to be a tailback next year. Maybe a play or two a game. Is what it is.

How dare a Coach run his team as he desires...

I wish him the best if so but i think it's a big mistake on his part. He's simply not a RB1. I think he could certainly be a starter in certain CFB conferences but if he's seeking to make the NFL i think his best bet is to stay at AU and play the slot/speed RB position like a Tavon Austin

Guys, if this is true, then this is just bad. Yes, I know he hasn't performed the way we wanted yet, but the kid is a talent and can be successful in the SEC. This really leaves us thin at RB. But worse than anything, this is a 5 star player that is leaving along with 11 others that have left. This is the same kind of thing that happened during the end of the Chizik era. I really, really hope that Gus is not losing this team.

This one isn't on Gus. Putting Roc into the slot more was the best way to utilize Roc. Best for his future in the NFL and in big time college ball. Roc wants to be the man. And his high school coach is now at JSU and has been in Roc's ear for over a year trying to get Roc to transfer. Moving Roc more to the slot was the right call. Gus did nothing wrong here. All on Roc not wanting to move over from the RB position.

I heard differently...

Apparently, Roc was open to playing anywhere on the field... he just wanted the ball in his hands.

That's what Gus was telling him as well. The plan was to work him into a more productive role. Gus had all spring to show what he wanted out of Roc (after convincing him to stay). It didn't happen! His role in the A-Day game was about the same as his role in practice... non exhistant.

So, Roc obviously doesn't trust Gus when he says he's gonna find a way to get him the ball.

Oh well...

Eh. Spring scrimmages when you're trying to identify a QB aren't the best gauge of the fall game plans. It's still about 98% on Roc. And it's sort of backed up by a generally surly attitude he's had since he got here. He's been given plenty of opportunity to win the starting RB role. Some of us were pulling our hair out over the amount of opportunity he was being given when other RBs were clearly making more of their opportunities. It just hasn't materialized.

I heard differently...

Oh well...

If AU's O looks like it did in A-day then Gus won't last 5 games.

I heard differently...

Oh well...

Eh. Spring scrimmages when you're trying to identify a QB aren't the best gauge of the fall game plans. It's still about 98% on Roc. And it's sort of backed up by a generally surly attitude he's had since he got here. He's been given plenty of opportunity to win the starting RB role. Some of us were pulling our hair out over the amount of opportunity he was being given when other RBs were clearly making more of their opportunities. It just hasn't materialized.

I agree with this. Gus has done some things that he should answer for. This isn't one of them.

I heard differently...

Oh well...

If AU's O looks like it did in A-day then Gus won't last 5 games.

I know, right...

So, Auburn is losing a 5-star RB and a 4-star safety within a matter of just maybe 3 days to transfer. Whether or not either would be heavy contributors, there is an issue of perception, and sometimes perception is stronger than reality. IMHO, this hurts. Whether this is truly on Roc or Gus, Gus is the head coach and the responsibility is going to fall on him, rightly or wrongly.

Roc is Auburn's Percy Harvin or more recently Christian Mcaffery. That is the role that would've gotten him to the NFL. He was never going to be a #1 SEC RB. To me, as a coach, a player more concerned about what the team can do for him rather than what he can do for the team, is most assuredly better off leaving the team. I hope he stays and embraces his new role. I think he would really excell. That said, if he does leave, I wish him luck at JSU and won't really miss him. Next man up.

How dare a Coach run his team as he desires...

Lol, Gus doesn't know how he wants to run the team in my opinion. He's already admitted he gave too much autonomy to other coaches last year, so this year he's going back to a more controlling role evidently. Which I guess is fine for a head coach who is still learning to be a head coach, but the issue still stands for me why does a team like Auburn have to settle for a coach who needs on the job training and the growing pains that come with it...

I'm pretty sure there is a pretty loose relationship between Allaric Williams and Roc Thomas so that's something to watch. Allaric's guardian helped coach Roc at Oxford as OC and I've seen some pics with Allaric and Roc together. I doubt Roc leaving will make Allaric want to look around but it's still something to keep an eye out for.

Roc is Auburn's Percy Harvin or more recently Christian Mcaffery. That is the role that would've gotten him to the NFL. He was never going to be a #1 SEC RB. To me, as a coach, a player more concerned about what the team can do for him rather than what he can do for the team, is most assuredly better off leaving the team. I hope he stays and embraces his new role. I think he would really excell. That said, if he does leave, I wish him luck at JSU and won't really miss him. Next man up.

Mccaffery plays RB full time does he not?

Perhaps being on a smaller stage will do him good but I'd sure like to see him stay here and be used in the role we are all expecting. As others have said, he's not a true SEC RB1 but that doesn't mean he couldn't be successful in the right role. I think it's a mistake to transfer but obviously he needs to do what he thinks is best.

Touche.

I guess Jovon won't have to look over his shoulder anymore.

That's not a good thing. Competition breeds excellence. Kerryon is the second best and coach Horton has already said that Kerryon needs to get into the weight room.

This isn't good. Too many sunshine pumpers on here trying to spin it like we'll be straight or he wasn't that good. That's just ridiculous. He was going to have an impact on our offense, was a big weapon that we under utilized. This impacts recruiting as well.

Keep sunshining away though!

This might hurt JJ's Heisman chances. Who's going to catch the 4-6 RB screen passes Gus likes to call each game?

Touche.

I knew what you meant anyway.

^^^Agreed. I'd be shocked if Gus makes it to 2017. I just don't see him being the long term answer. Hopefully there's not too many coaching changes this offseason--less competition, and all.

It's amazing that for an "offensive genius" we have maybe one big star on offense (JR). At least we have a veteran line.

I have no problem with him leaving no sense of urgency, no feeling of OMG we are screwed. Basically I have no feeling what so ever. I see a player leaving who has under achieved, who has not hustled and who has no concept of being a team player.

He wasn't going to be the man at running back. The chances are good he would half Azz it in the slot because it's not what he wanted to do. And ultimately he might become a poison to the the team.

He is definitely not the link which will make or break this years team.

Archived