Jovon Robinson dismissed

Metalsinger418

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No, there were no question marks about who was going to be RB this year. Fountain said himself that JR had separated himself from the pack.

Yes there were.  Fountain isn't the head coach. He doesn't make the decision on who gets the job.   Sure I expected him to start but it was far from guaranteed.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WarTiger said:

Yes there were.  Fountain isn't the head coach. He doesn't make the decision on who gets the job.   Sure I expected him to start but it was far from guaranteed.

Okay. If you say so. 

I'm looking for Pettway to get the most carries from here on out with KJ, Martin and Miller alternating in and out.  Though it would look a little strange I wouldn't count the white boy out of the mix either he looked good carrying the ball in the spring game.  He and Pettway maybe be alternating the HB and RB role if KJ doesn't hold up.  Maybe Gus really was planning ahead with what we saw in the spring.  You had to know Jovon was one more screw up from being out the door.  

Just a shame the route this kid took to get here and how he let it slip out of his fingers. Was a likely 1,000 yard back with a relatively solid offensive line. On to the next one but this stings heading into such an unsure season. 

3 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I'm looking for Pettway to get the most carries from here on out with KJ, Martin and Miller alternating in and out.  Though it would look a little strange I wouldn't count the white boy out of the mix either he looked good carrying the ball in the spring game.  He and Pettway maybe be alternating the HB and RB role if KJ doesn't hold up.  Maybe Gus really was planning ahead with what we saw in the spring.  You had to know Jovon was one more screw up from being out the door.  

Agree. It sure seems that way. 

Gus did the right thing by getting rid of Jovon.  Based on everything I have been able to read about what happened with Jovon on here and other boards, it was a no brainer to dismiss him.  However; I don't see how anyone can logically believe that losing Jovon is not a big deal in terms of success of the O, especially since we also lost Barber and Thomas and we have no clue if we have a competent QB.  But hey, maybe Gus can show us his O genius again.   This is a no excuses year for Gus and this does not change that for me.

wde

Lol. It doesn't matter, one guy isn't important. And also lol that he may not have been the starter

28 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Agree. It sure seems that way. 

Gee I would hope so...JR had some issues since last year and apparently through the off-season.    Hoping Gus and Horton were ready for this....that's their job.   This might have surprised some fans but I expect Gus and the other coaches saw this day coming for quite a while.  Expect they were hoping for better but IMO, Gus learned last season about letting personnel problems carry over into the playing season....after what it did to his team.  

Lol.... Gotta love the old nit wittiness response of the grouchy old know it all.....& the all knowing & end all Titan Tiger...... SMDH 

get over yourself.  Have you ever been nice in your responses on here to posters?

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. It doesn't matter, one guy isn't important. And also lol that he may not have been the starter

Haha.  It's like entering a Never Never land where magical fairies dressed in AU gear sprinkle orange and blue pixie dust over everything while chanting "War Eagle!"

7 minutes ago, auownsua said:

Lol.... Gotta love the old nit wittiness response of the grouchy old know it all.....& the all knowing & end all Titan Tiger...... SMDH 

get over yourself.  Have you ever been nice in your responses on here to posters?

Plenty.  I give people the responses they and their posts have earned.

But if that's not up to your standards, no one's putting a gun to your head making you stay.

3 minutes ago, WinForAuburn said:

Haha.  It's like entering a Never Never land where magical fairies dressed in AU gear sprinkle orange and blue pixie dust over everything while chanting "War Eagle!"

You know, there's a big difference between someone telling you to pump the brakes a little on the doom and gloom, and sprinkling "orange and blue pixie dust over everything."

I for one have faith in Pettway to be the workhorse every down type back and think we can win without JR and his trouble making ways.I'm not hitting the panic button.WAR EAGLE

9 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This ignorant, head in the sand crap drives me crazy! There is NO question that Jovon Robinson was going to be our starting running back this year. He was clearly the best running back that we had last year. Look at StatTiger's posts if you want data. And he was going to be one of the best running backs that we've had in a long time. 

So one player doesn't make a team? What about losing 3 of our top 4 running backs from last year, and the 4th running back is coming off shoulder surgery. We also have serious QB issues. You know how we could have helped out that situation? With a strong running game and a running back that could have carried the ball 25-30 times per game. 

Is it possible that we can overcome this? Yes. Is it likely? No. This was a CRUCIAL blow that Auburn fans have a right to upset about.

So what is your recommendation? Everyone grab their torches and pitchforks and storm Gus's office. Regardless of how talented he was - he violated rules and is gone. He ain't coming back there is no where to move but forward. I sure as hell hope the team and coaches have a better attitude than some of the posters here. We should be upset because he kicked a rule violator off the team, one chose to transfer, and another opted for the NFL when another season would have possibby been better for him....Come on move on and let's see what these other guys can do with the opportunity ahead of them.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

JR was gonna be the starter. Fountain is the ST and TE coach. Horton did say that JR had separated himself.

I have major concerns about KJ being an every down back and being able to take the beating. KJ is more of a Reggie Bush type of player imo. Maybe I am wrong and he will show out this year. KP is a bruiser but not on the same level that JR was with vision, cutting, and general running ability. We can overcome this but for anyone to think we have the talent and depth at RB that we can just plug next guy up and not miss a beat is wrong.  We do not have another inside runner nearly as talented as JR on the roster. 

Really missed the ever-raging battle between the "sky is always falling" group and the "we'll be fine no matter what the circumstances are" group.  It really feels like AU football season again! :jossun:

24 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

JR was gonna be the starter. Fountain is the ST and TE coach. Horton did say that JR had separated himself.

Probably...just saying that likely he was only the starter until he was in the dog house again.... and then Horton or Gus would have to make some other guy the starter for a while....before letting JR be the starter.    From some of the background it sounded like we were headed for Duke II.  

JMO but this decision eliminated lots of discussion during the season about why he wasn't starting... or why he didn't start a second half after having a good first half or something.    We will miss his talent....otherwise...I'm not so sure.

I don't get you people saying he may not have been the starter. We had an "established" RB last season who came out of no where, started, won us a few games out if sheer will, continued the streak of 1000 yard rushers, and what happened at the end of last season? JR had taken the starting spot from the season  long starter, who had rushed for over 1000 yards. His replacement was SO good, that the starter from 90% of last year (you know.... The guy who put the world on his shoulders, and beat Jax State) left for the draft, with 2 years remaining, knowing the odds for him to even be drafted were minuscule. 

Barber didn't leave because he thought that he would light the world on fire this year. Sure, he may have had family issues and needed the cash, but think about it, staying 2 more seasons couldn't of hurt his draft stock... Only improve it...

Everyone and their grandmother knew he would be the starter. Anyone who says otherwise, I highly question your true football knowledge. I mean, I guess you would say that Cam wasn't the unquestioned starter going into 2010 either?  

And speaking of Cam, for all of you who says 1 player doesn't matter, Cam and our 2010 National Championship say hello. Take Cam out of 2010 and we don't come close. Period. Was JR on Cams level? Not even close. However it just proves me point. 

Also you guys saying its next man up... We have KP, he is a couple years removed from being a RB. Just saying. Other than him, we have a sophomore coming off of shoulder surgery. We have MM...a true freshman with around 4.7 speed (slower than Barber,) the Baylor signee...a true freshman who is lightning fast, but he is a true freshman nonetheless. And some no name probably walk on backs. Its not like we have some huge stable of 5* RBs lined up. 

While losing JR won't be the be all/end all of the season, it is an absolutely crippling loss. Anyone who thinks otherwise simply needs to watch the press conference from yesterday.

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I have not read much of this thread yet but JR was going to be the starter at RB this year. And was going to get 75% of the carries. I'd say as guaranteed as it comes to starting. 

10 hours ago, auskull said:

Oh no, no more golfing?

:bananadance::hellyeah::party::partey:

CRAP! I didn't see the -ING at the end. My bad...

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

The only thing that would have kept JR from being the starter would have been getting himself in the doghouse again.  Period.  

This is a fact.  Unfortunately JR got himself thrown out of the doghouse altogether.

wde

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The only thing that would have kept JR from being the starter would have been getting himself in the doghouse again.  Period.  

I don't think he ever completely got out of the dog house.

Archived