Metalsinger418

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I didn't say dive up the gut

No, no no....that's Gus's call....with a RB who starts 6 yards behind the LOS

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

So now you guys are make pretending pettway is good. I mean i can understand maybe being positive instead of negative but IMO if he was that good at hb they wouldn't have ever moved him

I think he could look a lot like Peyton Hillis, who moved back and forth between tailback and fullback pretty liberally. I'd take 947 all purpose yards, which is what Hillis had as a sophomore. Almost 900 as a senior. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

So now you guys are make pretending pettway is good. I mean i can understand maybe being positive instead of negative but IMO if he was that good at hb they wouldn't have ever moved him

No one is pretending.  He's a big bruising back that has good tailback skills.  But he looked like a guy that was still growing or could put on more weight and given who we had at tailback already, he seemed to fit that role better.  And he was already going to get some carries at that position this year.

7 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Everyone grab their torches and pitchforks and storm Gus's office. 

I think we might be onto something here...

Malzahn didn't make a mistake letting Jovon go.  He made a mistake bringing him in. That's a lot of wasted effort.   You always have to weigh character against talent, and unfortunately this one didn't work out. You can't have too many of those or you wind up like Art Briles.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I tend to agree with you. IMO the guys end up at the FB or H-back is because they don't have the real speed needed for the feature back position. It's a rare quality to be around 220 or bigger and have the speed that is needed. I think our run game will look a lot like last years when Barber was the feature back.

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

Malzahn didn't make a mistake letting Jovon go.  He made a mistake bringing him in. That's a lot of wasted effort.   You always have to weigh character against talent, and unfortunately this one didn't work out. You can't have too many of those or you wind up like Art Briles.

Interesting that you bring up Art Briles and that Baylor situation. With how fast the hammer fell on JR it just makes you wonder.

I expect last season had more to do with the JR's short leash.....since there was no indication of Baylor type problems. 

As for JUCOs...we win some (Cam N, CAP, Nick M and Nick F) and lose some like JR and others whom I forget....but just never made the grade.  Reasons that would have kept us from signing Jovon would probably have kept us from signing both Nicks and both Cams.

The odds don't seem to be any better than the HS recruitment lottery but as someone noted, most of the guys are in JuCo because they had issues that put them there...academic or behavior.   So a coach is usually betting that he can turn around an issue that a previous coach had given up on.  

But, all over the country we have seen schools pull in a couple JuCo players that made a difference in the W- L of a team.  Even hated bama who brings in an army of 5* HS kids has ended up going after grad transfers or JuCos for critical needs.

I don't blame Gus for signing Jovon....and seems he probably handled it well enough considering what it meant to pull the plug a month before a game with a top 5 team.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I expect last season had more to do with the JR's short leash.....since there was no indication of Baylor type problems. 

As for JUCOs...we win some (Cam N, CAP, Nick M and Nick F) and lose some like JR and others whom I forget....but just never made the grade.  Reasons that would have kept us from signing Jovon would probably have kept us from signing both Nicks and both Cams.

The odds don't seem to be any better than the HS recruitment lottery but as someone noted, most of the guys are in JuCo because they had issues that put them there...academic or behavior.   So a coach is usually betting that he can turn around an issue that a previous coach had given up on.  

But, all over the country we have seen schools pull in a couple JuCo players that made a difference in the W- L of a team.  Even hated bama who brings in an army of 5* HS kids has ended up going after grad transfers or JuCos for critical needs.

I don't blame Gus for signing Jovon....and seems he probably handled it well enough considering what it meant to pull the plug a month before a game with a top 5 team.

Does Auburn an excessive amount of Juco's?  

I've always thought of Juco's like band-aid's.

23 hours ago, Altima said:

Gus screwed the pooch with Roc...

bit him in the ass.

Even without JR, Roc would be 3rd string at best.

First Gus did what he needed too for the best of the team. While I support Gus's decision no one should be downing Javon. This kid has been through some major crap in his young life. If you don't know what his life has been like then do some research. Second of all when something like this happens folks should be concerned about the young man as well as the coaches that were forced to make this decision, cause I can assure you it was not a pleasant job. Also we always think losing someone will somehow be bad. Who knows KJ and KP and others may be even better than JR. That is why they play the game. Every team out there has questions at some position. Just because some so called experts "think"  some team might be better, we know every year they get more wrong than they get right. WDE   

26 minutes ago, keesler said:

Does Auburn an excessive amount of Juco's?  

I've always thought of Juco's like band-aid's.

I've  never done a study but seems we do about what others do....there were lots of them in the SEC ....and I doubt our results are much different as to success and failure....but in our cases the successful guys we brought in have been very important to our success.....so maybe more than a band-aid....maybe in the class of surgical dressing.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

First Gus did what he needed too for the best of the team. While I support Gus's decision no one should be downing Javon. This kid has been through some major crap in his young life. If you don't know what his life has been like then do some research. Second of all when something like this happens folks should be concerned about the young man as well as the coaches that were forced to make this decision, cause I can assure you it was not a pleasant job. Also we always think losing someone will somehow be bad. Who knows KJ and KP and others may be even better than JR. That is why they play the game. Every team out there has questions at some position. Just because some so called experts "think"  some team might be better, we know every year they get more wrong than they get right. WDE   

:clap: I hate that I only get 5 likes. Ridiculous!

11 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

:clap: I hate that I only get 5 likes. Ridiculous!

I gave him one for you...

JR is listed as 219 on the roster. KJ is listed as 211. Really not much difference. I remember Caddy carrying the load at 200 lbs, probably closer to 190 early on,  truth be told. Tre Mason is 205 now and he's been gone from AU a couple years. I don't know whether KJ can run it up between the tackles, but I don't think there's anyone on here that has seen him attempt enough to know that he can't do it. Anything other than a wait and see attitude is a waste. Gus simply did what he had to do. Anyone who thinks this was a kneejerk reaction that didn't fester over time is kidding themselves.

On 8/3/2016 at 7:37 PM, Metalsinger418 said:

Didnt mean to post "we are screwed" twice. Anyways we just lost our best offensive player and now we have 0 depth at rb. Gonna be rough to watch this year imo. We will have to see if we can get it done with a sophomore, a true freshmen and 2 fbs

Robinson isn't that good.

On August 3, 2016 at 11:11 PM, TitanTiger said:

No one said that.  But sometimes guys do come back stronger.  Maybe if you did some actual research instead of spouting off you'd know that.  

You aren't getting slammed for not being in a clique.  You're getting slammed for making statements unsupported by facts or reality.  You're determined to be pessimistic whether it actually makes sense or not.  Sure, he could be injury prone but that is far from a given.  Perhaps if you could at least acknowledge that instead of acting like your opinion is the only one that is right and anyone that disagrees is a 'sunshine pumper' you might have a different reception.

15 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Plenty.  I give people the responses they and their posts have earned.

But if that's not up to your standards, no one's putting a gun to your head making you stay.

Again.... another typical post by Mr. TT... who in the hell put you in a position of being an administrator? & Heaven help the players & coaches if your still a HS official! What a nightmarish ordeal for them to deal with I'm quite certain of for those poor souls.

You know TT.... They say when you get older you become more and more cantankerous.... Well you must be pretty damn old Sir. 

We as fan of this University's football team say and post over the top responses over stuff sometimes.... Just like this thread on JR. But for God sake man (TT) why are you so damn abrasive in your posts back to some of us on here????? Sry but it rubs me the wrong way so hence my response towards you I guess. For the record I am a diehard AU fan through and through. I do support CGM's decision to dismiss JR. I also feel I can be or say that I've been critical of the play calling over the yrs I've seen from Gus or if it's RL. It's been way to predictable. Way to long but hey I'm just a fan in the stands or sitting in my recliner spectator who's opinions really don't amount to much in the grand scheme of things right?

8 minutes ago, auownsua said:

We as fan of this University's football team say and post over the top responses over stuff sometimes.... Just like this thread on JR. But for God sake man (TT) why are you so damn abrasive in your posts back to some of us on here????? Sry but it rubs me the wrong way so hence my response towards you I guess. For the record I am a diehard AU fan through and through. I do support CGM's decision to dismiss JR. I also feel I can be or say that I've been critical of the play calling over the yrs I've seen from Gus or if it's RL. It's been way to predictable. Way to long but hey I'm just a fan in the stands or sitting in my recliner spectator who's opinions really don't amount to much in the grand scheme of things right?

I think you have Titan Tiger mixed up with someone else. I've never known him to be too over the top like you're suggesting. BUT the biggest hint that you gave was "high school official" I don't think Titan Tiger is an official.

Archived