Jovon Robinson dismissed

Metalsinger418

I have an idea..... Why not just go with Woody Barrett as the starting QB, move JFIII into the RB slot and get him to put on 10 more lbs. He has world class speed and decent size. He could split time with KJ, Malik, and Martin. Sounds a bit over the edge, but sometimes thinking outside of the box just enough to have a touch of quantum gravity to correct any blips that may occur. I am a bit off tonight folks. I fell down 8 stairs on Monday and broke 4 bones in my right hand, suffered a concussion from hitting the left side of my head when I finally hit the asphalt to end the fall. Also, I have a bruise on my rear right shoulder the size of a cantaloupe. No kidding folks, it really did me in. No more golfing for probably 4 weeks. 

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I have an idea..... Why not just go with Woody Barrett as the starting QB, move JFIII into the RB slot and get him to put on 10 more lbs. He has world class speed and decent size. He could split time with KJ, Malik, and Martin. Sounds a bit over the edge, but sometimes thinking outside of the box just enough to have a touch of quantum gravity to correct any blips that may occur. I am a bit off tonight folks. I fell down 8 stairs on Monday and broke 4 bones in my right hand, suffered a concussion from hitting the left side of my head when I finally hit the asphalt to end the fall. Also, I have a bruise on my rear right shoulder the size of a cantaloupe. No kidding folks, it really did me in. No more golfing for probably 4 weeks. 

Oh no, no more golfing?

No way to spin this, it is a big blow to the offense.  It will make this season much more challenging and more pressure on Gus to produce wins this year.

18 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It'd work on xbox...

Not going to say losing him is not going to effect us because it will to some degree, but so would losing any of 20 or 30 others. That said most of you worry about losing Javon because you doubt the rest of the offense. I can assure that JJ and SW are much better than they were last year. I really feel that this offensive line under Herb will be more productive. Also the WRs under Kodi will be much better. And most of all we finally have a blocking back close to equal the ones we had in 2010 and 2013. JF3 will ad some punch at wildcat. My feeling even after this is that this years offense will be in the top 15 or 20 in the country. Match that with a defense that is loaded and we have the making for at least a contender. JMHO TIFWIW. WDE

Yes it hurts now, but Gus has shown that he won't put up with the nonsense. This will help us down the road. The team will be a tighter unit b/c of it. Jovon was a guy who made it all about him. From everything I've heard, he already had his sights on the NFL and made it known to everyone else... I still think JF3 is our guy no question. I can't help but make the comparison to Marshall going into the 2013 season. "Not a polished passer." "Needs to work on his mechanics." "Can't throw the deep ball." Nonsense..JF3 will be ready to go September 3rd. We will see a very different #5 compared to A-Day. Also, this defensive unit will carry the team barring injuries. 

This is just a mess.  Our best 3 running backs from last year are now gone.  I hope Gus has a good backup plan.  You had to know JR was one screw up from being gone and I guess he must have stepped over the line again.   

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

People saying we are screwed need to get a little dose of reality.  This program is ALWAYS bigger than one player.  We have very capable players ready to work their asses off and take that spot.  It wasn't even a given that Robinson was going to be the starter.  Widely speculated, yes, confirmed, not even close.

This ignorant, head in the sand crap drives me crazy! There is NO question that Jovon Robinson was going to be our starting running back this year. He was clearly the best running back that we had last year. Look at StatTiger's posts if you want data. And he was going to be one of the best running backs that we've had in a long time. 

So one player doesn't make a team? What about losing 3 of our top 4 running backs from last year, and the 4th running back is coming off shoulder surgery. We also have serious QB issues. You know how we could have helped out that situation? With a strong running game and a running back that could have carried the ball 25-30 times per game. 

Is it possible that we can overcome this? Yes. Is it likely? No. This was a CRUCIAL blow that Auburn fans have a right to upset about.

RB by committee. I hope KJ & Pettway can bring back a few Caddy & Brown memories. Mix in Kam and Malik. This is a tough blow b/c although we don't know who our QB will be i felt Jovon would be able to take a good bit of pressure off of whoever the starter will be. He didn't do what he needed to do to remain with us so i respect Gus's decision. However, still doesn't change we're going to feel the effects in a major way. Just sucks we have to go through this a second year in a row. Our best players are letting us down big time. 

Dumbfounded. He was going to be the man this year and he threw it all away...

I do think Pettway is going to have to be the next man up. KJ is coming off shoulder surgery where it might require him to take more of a pounding and freshman running backs need more time. Really wished we could have hung on to Roc. On the bright side, this might be an easier sell for some big recruits :D 

Just watched the Malzahn and player interviews. Malzahn was pissed. Some people said he was scared, but he was pissed. Carl Lawson--what a dude! All business.

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There are plenty of guys who have gotten knee injuries requiring surgery who didn't become "more prone to injury."  Everyone is different physically and so is every injury.  It's not sunshine pumping to try and get you to understand facts, Eeyore.

After an injury you dont become the Six Million Dollar Man, and get re-built better and stronger.  I hope KJ never has another issue with his shoulder, or any other injury, but things happen.  I will just step away, because my opinion isn't wanted.  Great board here, if youre not in your clique you get slammed for an opinion.

19 minutes ago, audeuce02 said:

After an injury you dont become the Six Million Dollar Man, and get re-built better and stronger.  I hope KJ never has another issue with his shoulder, or any other injury, but things happen.  I will just step away, because my opinion isn't wanted.  Great board here, if youre not in your clique you get slammed for an opinion.

No one said that.  But sometimes guys do come back stronger.  Maybe if you did some actual research instead of spouting off you'd know that.  

You aren't getting slammed for not being in a clique.  You're getting slammed for making statements unsupported by facts or reality.  You're determined to be pessimistic whether it actually makes sense or not.  Sure, he could be injury prone but that is far from a given.  Perhaps if you could at least acknowledge that instead of acting like your opinion is the only one that is right and anyone that disagrees is a 'sunshine pumper' you might have a different reception.

43 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This ignorant, head in the sand crap drives me crazy! There is NO question that Jovon Robinson was going to be our starting running back this year. He was clearly the best running back that we had last year. Look at StatTiger's posts if you want data. And he was going to be one of the best running backs that we've had in a long time. 

So one player doesn't make a team? What about losing 3 of our top 4 running backs from last year, and the 4th running back is coming off shoulder surgery. We also have serious QB issues. You know how we could have helped out that situation? With a strong running game and a running back that could have carried the ball 25-30 times per game. 

Is it possible that we can overcome this? Yes. Is it likely? No. This was a CRUCIAL blow that Auburn fans have a right to upset about.

The offense will be fine if one of the QB's can step up and do a good job.  If not, it will be a long season again.  That is true with or without Jovon.  A RB just doesn't make that much difference.  There are still a lot of talented backs on this team. Nobody expected the production we got out of Barber last year.  Somebody will surprise again this year. Our problem before Jovon was dismissed was finding a QB. That's still the problem.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Slow your roll a sec.

Barber was a workhorse and I loved his effort, but there are at least 8 RBs at Auburn over the last 10 years better than him.  He wasn't even starting by the end of last year and his carries were going down.  He would have been 3rd string this year.  Roc was never a "top" anything here except top "unfulfilled potential."  So stop inflating the problem.  Jovon is gone and that's a real loss.  Kid's got a million dollar body and a 10-cent head.

Be upset all you want, but be upset about real things, not inflated ones.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Slow your roll a sec.

Barber was a workhorse and I loved his effort, but there are at least 8 RBs at Auburn over the last 10 years better than him.  He wasn't even starting by the end of last year and his carries were going down.  He would have been 3rd string this year.  Roc was never a "top" anything here except top "unfulfilled potential."  So stop inflating the problem.  Jovon is gone and that's a real loss.  Kid's got a million dollar body and a 10-cent head.

Be upset all you want, but be upset about real things, not inflated ones.

The things he mentioned are all good reasons to be concerned. Yes, maybe PB would've been 3rd string this year, but to Roc and JR, who are gone. Roc may not have lived up to his 5-star rating, but we at least knew what he could do in open space. There is no question JR would've been the starter here. Even, our most rivaled fanbases could see that. Basically, with all three, you knew what you were getting. Not only upperclassmen but all provided a different repertoire to running the ball. You have no idea what the newer RBs could bring to the table. KJ showed a lot of flashes, but is he really ready to be an in between the tackle kind of back? Can the newer guys pick up the offense quick enough? Are they ready for SEC play? Do they understand which hole to hit and how to hit? Break away speed? Able to get that crucial 1 or 2 yards? Durability? Those are all variables needed to be taken into consideration. So, you can say what you want to say about our former RBs but they were going to be crucial to the development of our questionable QB play.

I don't know any details of what happened last week two weeks ago whenever... But the look on the face of Gus looked like something more happened today (earlier in the day).  Speculating here but maybe Gus has the balls to bench his starting running back because of whatever happened and JR said something to put himself first or make himself bigger then the team so Gus said Bye-bye.  I know I would do the same.  So if he was a cancer good job coach.  

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The things he mentioned are all good reasons to be concerned. Yes, maybe PB would've been 3rd string this year, but to Roc and JR, who are gone. Roc may not have lived up to his 5-star rating, but we at least knew what he could do in open space.

Sulking the entire time.  The Roc we all want and the Roc we actually had are two different things.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

There is no question JR would've been the starter here. Even, our most rivaled fanbases could see that. Basically, with all three, you knew what you were getting. Not only upperclassmen but all provided a different repertoire to running the ball.

But again, the only one that had shown he was going to be a difference maker was Jovon.  

2 hours ago, DAG said:

You have no idea what the newer RBs could bring to the table. KJ showed a lot of flashes, but is he really ready to be an in between the tackle kind of back? Can the newer guys pick up the offense quick enough? Are they ready for SEC play? Do they understand which hole to hit and how to hit? Break away speed? Able to get that crucial 1 or 2 yards? Durability? Those are all variables needed to be taken into consideration. So, you can say what you want to say about our former RBs but they were going to be crucial to the development of our questionable QB play.

Roc didn't understand what hole to hit, spun around too much and did nothing between the tackles.  Barber frequently missed open holes and just plowed ahead for 3 yards.  Jovon's vision and cutting ability was one of his big advantages over Barber.  Great that he rarely went down for a loss and fought so hard, but the loss of those two just isn't as big as you think, especially since adding the Baylor transfer to take the role Roc was going to fill.

Pettway can do some damage between the tackles and KJ has speed and versatility.  I don't know if he's a between the tackles guy or not, but he has other advantages that are a good combo of JR and Roc. 

I hate losing JR too.  I think he was going to be a breakout star this year.  But in reality, that is the only real big loss here.  The rest is Chicken Little stuff right now.

7 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This ignorant, head in the sand crap drives me crazy!  It's not head in the sand, its seeing the WHOLE PICTURE.  There is NO question that Jovon Robinson was going to be our starting running back this year.  There was HUGE question marks about whether he was going to be the starter or not.  Remember last year when he was kept out of the games so much?  That wasn't solely due to an injury.  I think you are the one that has his head in the sand.  He was clearly the best running back that we had last year.   Statistically, sure he was good, WHEN HE WAS ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTING.   He was still a head case and again there's a reason that he wasn't on the field more that had nothing to do with injuries.  Look at StatTiger's posts if you want data. And he was going to be one of the best running backs that we've had in a long time.  MASSIVE speculation.  You have no way of knowing that. 

So one player doesn't make a team?   No one player does NOT make the team.   What about losing 3 of our top 4 running backs from last year, and the 4th running back is coming off shoulder surgery.  This thread isn't about the other players that made their choices.  This thread is about Robinson.  Try to keep up.  Barber left on his own.  That was HIS DECISION.  It's not like we forced all 3 of them out of the program because we didn't.  Again, perspective.   We also have serious QB issues. You know how we could have helped out that situation?   The QB issues would be the same regardless of how many RB's we had returning.  Those same running backs you speak of where here last year with two of the same QB's and our offense was horrible.  With a strong running game and a running back that could have carried the ball 25-30 times per game.  Horrible sentence structure, but sticking to topic, we have several RB that are capable of carrying the ball 25-30 times a game, and besides, that's just your opinion anyway.  It basically means nothing.

Is it possible that we can overcome this? Yes. Is it likely? No. This was a CRUCIAL blow that Auburn fans have a right to upset about.  It's always the extreme "we are doomed" with some of you.  You act like this is the first player to ever be dismissed or leave the program.  Newsflash.  He's not and he won't be the last.  Again, NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE PROGRAM.   Auburn football has survived worse things in the past.   The situation with Duke Williams last year and how it apparently affected the inner workings of the program is still fresh on the minds of the coaching staff.  Malzahn has said there will be NO DISTRACTIONS this year and its apparent to me that he meant it.   We will DEFINITELY overcome this and in fact, it's my opinion we will be a better team now and down the road because of it.  You can agree or disagree and I couldn't care less.

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

No, there were no question marks about who was going to be RB this year. Fountain said himself that JR had separated himself from the pack.

Archived