Jovon Robinson dismissed

Metalsinger418

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I guess opinions are like something in the posterior region, everybody has one. I personally feel you can rate a super back by about 5 special attributes. 1) Strength and power. 2) Vision . 3) Balance. 4) Quick feet, (elusiveness)  5) Homerun speed. To be what I call an elite back you need at least 3, preferably 4 if those 5. Jovon in my opinion had 2, 3 at best. We have had a few with all 5. Tre Mason, Bo, Fullwood, Cadillac,  maybe even Kenny Irons. I would not rank Robinson in the same league as those guys. 

It's all "academic" as they say at this point but I think JR had 1), 2), 3) and some of 4).    And after seeing him play last year, I think the coaches were spot-on by pushing him into the starting role.    The problem Gus has is in order to have a power running game, as he strongly needs and desires, you better have a strong, way-better-than-average power running back.    Unless KP bursts onto the scene with unexpected prowess, an average RB situation with an unproven QB situation is not a good situation.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Look,  I know some of you think the guy was a game changer. I just did not see it. Not saying he wasn't good, just not elite. 

I never said he was a game changer, but he sure as hell was more than just serviceable. Do you even know what that means? That is somebody who can give you the bare minimum at the very least. 

1 minute ago, 1auburn1 said:

It's all "academic" as they say at this point but I think JR had 1), 2), 3) and some of 4).    And after seeing him play last year, I think the coaches were spot-on by pushing him into the starting role.    The problem Gus has is in order to have a power running game, as he strongly needs and desires, you better have a strong, way-better-than-average power running back.    Unless KP bursts onto the scene with unexpected prowess, an average RB situation with an unproven QB situation is not a good situation.

I agree bud, I don't think we have one back that can fill those needs with just one guy. I do hope however, that Pettway can get us that tough three yards when needed, and Kerryon can provide the homerun threat we have been missing since Tre left.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I never said he was a game changer, but he sure as hell was more than just serviceable. Do you even know what that means? That is somebody who can give you the bare minimum at the very least. 

Average. Like that one better?

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Average. Like that one better?

Now, think about what you are saying. You just said, that JR, who many considered was going to start, regardless of what happened to PB or Roc, is average? Just think about that for a second. How many RBs at AU, have potential to start, who were just average?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Now, think about what you are saying. You just said, that JR, who many considered was going to start, regardless of what happened to PB or Roc, is average? Just think about that for a second. How many RBs at AU, have potential to start, who were just average?

We have had several average backs. I understand that he was the best that we had, but as I said in my original post the sky has not fallen. He was not so good that we can't replace him. I just do not think the offense will be that much different without him. I can't think of a single game we won last year with him playing that we would not have probably won without him. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

We have had several average backs. I understand that he was the best that we had, but as I said in my original post the sky has not fallen. He was not so good that we can't replace him. I just do not think the offense will be that much different without him. I can't think of a single game we won last year with him playing that we would not have probably won without him. 

I could continue this with stats, but there is no point. Agree to disagree.

That's just trying to soften the blow. Eventually reality will set in. Same crowd that always claims when a recruit chooses an another school that we backed off or didn't want him anymore. "He wasn't that high on our board anyway" lol.

JR had 600 yards in such limited action, he had game changing ability and was going to get tons of opportunity in this offense. Anyone denying that is just trying to make themselves feel better while it seems like our season is spiraling down before it even started IMO.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I know that there are fols who consider that they have a high football IQ on this board, but really did any of you guys think that maybe JJ's reluctance to run on some occassions, might have been on order of coaches. I suggest you watch his high school tapes. There is no way that he is afraid to run. Most of his runs inside the red-zone last year were planned runs and I saw no hesitation at all. Unless your in the coaching loop and know what he is being told to do then you have no clue whether he did his job or not. I realize this is a message board where a lot of guys that never had what it takes to play sports or coach it (other than little league) come on here to flex their imaginary muscle and knowledge, but in the same respect remember these are young men that have given a lot to represent AU, a place I care deeply about, and because they are real people not hiding behind a screen name then show some respect. WDE

Great Post Eagle Eye 7!  Gus/Rhett's offense is way too "scripted" in my opinion.  They don't allow the QB to make very many decisions for himself - the sideline communication with the signals and flashcards are meant to make it where the QB doesn't have to "think" too much.  When things are clicking, it's a great scheme.  But reading defenses, making check downs, taking control of the offense, calling your own plays in the huddle aren't something Gus/Rhett wants their QB to do too much.  

I watched JJ play ball at Carver, the kid could run and i think he can still run the ball if needed.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

A good read ...

Robinson’s former Georgia Military College coach Bert Williams said the situation with Robinson goes back to late May or early June. There was an incident with teammates that the GMC coach said made Auburn’s “staff unhappy.”

“It put him in a tenuous position early in the summer,” Williams said declining to get into specifics.

Robinson was disciplined but given the opportunity to get back in good standing for fall camp.

“He had some things he had to do to get back in the good graces of the team’s leaders and coaches,” Williams said.

Robinson failed to meet those standards when in July there was what Williams described as a “final incident.”

“I do know he was a distraction,” Williams said. “I can’t speak to the level of distraction he was perceived to be by the coaches, but a head coach doesn’t remove someone, especially a difference-maker, lightly.”
Williams audibly sighed when asked what his reaction was when he heard the news.

“The biggest thing is disappointment,” Williams said from his office Friday. “Tough background or not, everyone has a choice. For any college football player that’s provided a scholarship at a high level you want for nothing period. No reason for a student-athlete to get in line with the regulations. Participation isn’t a right and I think that’s something every athlete needs to hear.”
Williams isn’t sure what Robinson’s next step is, but acknowledged the Memphis, Tennessee native has limited options.

“He either has to drop down or sit out and hope for an opportunity in the Canadian Football League or NFL,” Williams said. “It’s really a or b.”

Williams didn’t sugarcoat Robinson’s chances.

“It’s never just about talent,” Williams said. “Teams don’t want distractions. They don’t want problems, they want problem-solvers.”

I'd rank Jovon somewhere between CAP and Ben Tate as far as ability.  Not elite, but very very good...and way more than serviceable.

10 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Sounds like a good coach but an even better man. Some people just don't want to take the opportunity given to them.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

JJ had twice the number of rushing TDs as did JR in half the carries.....wonder how that happened?  :dunno:.

Easy... 90% of his runs came on goal line plays.

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'd rank Jovon somewhere between CAP and Ben Tate as far as ability.  Not elite, but very very good...and way more than serviceable.

I think that's fair. 

Of course, the person who called him "serviceable" and "average" also said we've had "several average backs". CAP was a 5th round pick. Tre was a 3rd rounder. Dyer broke Bo's freshman rushing record before losing his mind. Tate, 2nd round. Kenny Irons, 2nd round. Ronnie... Caddy... Brandon Jacobs couldn't even find the field at Auburn.

Barber was average. Tre Smith was average. I guess that's "several"? 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Easy... 90% of his runs came on goal line plays.

Deductive reasoning, right?

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I know that there are fols who consider that they have a high football IQ on this board, but really did any of you guys think that maybe JJ's reluctance to run on some occassions, might have been on order of coaches. I suggest you watch his high school tapes. There is no way that he is afraid to run. Most of his runs inside the red-zone last year were planned runs and I saw no hesitation at all. Unless your in the coaching loop and know what he is being told to do then you have no clue whether he did his job or not. I realize this is a message board where a lot of guys that never had what it takes to play sports or coach it (other than little league) come on here to flex their imaginary muscle and knowledge, but in the same respect remember these are young men that have given a lot to represent AU, a place I care deeply about, and because they are real people not hiding behind a screen name then show some respect. WDE

You make valid points, but I have to say, he never really looked comfortable running the ball, last year, except on the goal line. Maybe he just wasn't comfortable with the scheme but he didn't run aggressively.  Look at any of his mid-field runs and he doesn't look like it comes natural to him, like it does for most running QBs.

I do agree that the coaches may have held him back some, in an attempt to develop a more balanced offense. 

I am new to this particular forum as far as posting is concerned, but have been reading the forum for years.  One thing you guys need to keep in mind is the games last year when JR did not play.  We would have won all of those games if our defense played like it did in the Memphis Bowl (the last time we truly saw our defense play).  For that matter, in all of the games we lost (except LSU), it was a close game by a possession into the fourth quarter.  

If his dismissal was going to happen, let it happen now when we have time to figure everything out.  If any of the three QB's do well this year and any of the the freshmen WR's live up to their hype with Marcus Davis leading the pack, we will be fine with an improved defense.  We still have 4 weeks to get this sorted out, the players are plenty motivated to do well.  Talent is not an issue, never has been.

Clemson lost their two starting defensive ends, along with a lot of other defensive players.  That can only help our run game get settled.  Obviously their biggest strength is their offense, but I genuinely believe from speaking with a few people close to the program, this defense will be the best defense we have seen in 7-8 years.  Our defensive line depth is deeper than it was in 2010 and 2013.  Have faith guys.  

"What happens when we fall?  We learn to pick ourselves back up."  War Eagle.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am new to this particular forum as far as posting is concerned, but have been reading the forum for years.  One thing you guys need to keep in mind is the games last year when JR did not play.  We would have won all of those games if our defense played like it did in the Memphis Bowl (the last time we truly saw our defense play).  For that matter, in all of the games we lost (except LSU), it was a close game by a possession into the fourth quarter.  

If his dismissal was going to happen, let it happen now when we have time to figure everything out.  If any of the three QB's do well this year and any of the the freshmen WR's live up to their hype with Marcus Davis leading the pack, we will be fine with an improved defense.  We still have 4 weeks to get this sorted out, the players are plenty motivated to do well.  Talent is not an issue, never has been.

Clemson lost their two starting defensive ends, along with a lot of other defensive players.  That can only help our run game get settled.  Obviously their biggest strength is their offense, but I genuinely believe from speaking with a few people close to the program, this defense will be the best defense we have seen in 7-8 years.  Our defensive line depth is deeper than it was in 2010 and 2013.  Have faith guys.  

"What happens when we fall?  We learn to pick ourselves back up."  War Eagle.

Post more often. 

I, for one, am excited about seeing pettway get more carries. Thats a huge man and he is surprisingly fast

JJ did not look like a confident runner last season. Turning what should've been first down runs into coming up a few yards short by trying to run around defenders instead of just going forward. At his size defenders aren't looking forward to tackling him. I'm hoping his off-season has helped him in that regard. Sometimes you just need to get the s*** knocked out of you to be able to tell yourself "ok I didn't die and didn't suffer an injury, this could definitely be worse" before being able to move forward mentally.

9 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

^This

Of course....coaches figured he had a good chance of scoring from short yardage....which the basis of the original questions....you are at 4th and a yard....who do you want to carry the ball.   I'm saying a guy who is 6'6, weighs about 240 and would be following one of two All Sec guards.   

55 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

^This

And no one expected him to run... because he's not a runner, lol.

Another interview with Bert Williams:  link

AUBURN, Ala. — Jovon Robinson’s penchant for not adhering to rules within the Auburn football program hit a high note this summer, according to a report.

He had numerous discipline issues throughout summer workouts before an incident with teammates in the early summer months made Auburn’s coaches “unhappy,” Georgia Military College coach Bert Williams told the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. Williams was Robinson’s coach in junior college.

Williams declined to get into specific details, but said Robinson was unable to successfully traverse a fine line set by coaches following the incident earlier in the summer.

“He had some things he had to do to get back in the good graces of the team’s leaders and coaches,” Williams told the newspaper.

Williams said a “final incident” led to Robinson’s dismissal from the program Wednesday.

“I do know he was a distraction,” Williams said. “I can’t speak to the level of distraction he was perceived to be by the coaches, but a head coach doesn’t remove someone, especially a difference-maker, lightly.”

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn would not go into details surrounding Robinson's dismissal on the first day of preseason camp. "It’s just between me and him," he said.

The presumed starter at running back rushed for 639 yards and three touchdowns last season. He eclipsed 90 yards or more in five of the final six games as he chewed into Peyton Barber’s role on the team.

Robinson earned MVP honors in the Birmingham Bowl with his 126-yard performance.

"He did not meet my standards or expectations of what it takes to be an Auburn Tiger football player," Malzahn said. "We're going to have zero distractions on this team this year. I've given him his release and we wish him the best."

Robinson spoke out to AL.com Wednesday night but did not admit to mistakes or dive into details surrounding his departure. 

"Everything about (the) Auburn coaching staff is not what it seems," Robinson wrote in a message to AL.com. "Just because I don't walk around with (a) fake smile, they feel like they (can) say or try to force anything.

"I was stereotyped and disrespected. The football players are not happy with this."

Why was Robinson kicked off the team? He says "it's nothing about me missing class or not paying attention" and also told AL.com he was not involved in an altercation.

AuburnUndercover was unable to reach Robinson Wednesday night.

Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton revealed in August 2015 that there were concerns about Robinson's attitude and attendance in meetings. He was bumped down to fourth-team tailback at one point in the preseason and did not emerge as a reliable player until October.

Robinson's departure sent shockwaves through the program, even if players didn't show it during their time in front of the media Wednesday. This is the second time Robinson has been forced to leave Auburn. He is also the second top-ranked junior college player Auburn has signed and then booted from the team in as many seasons. D'haquille Williams was kicked off the team after breaking the jaw of offensive lineman Xavier Dampeer in a fight last season.

Robinson arrived as a signee out of high school in the summer of 2012, but was declared ineligible by the NCAA when it was discovered a grade on his transcript at Wooddale High School in Memphis was changed by a counselor. He left Auburn after one week and later enrolled at Georgia Military College, where he rushed for 3,198 yards and 43 touchdowns in two seasons before re-signing with Auburn in 2015.

Archived