Finishing Drives & Field Position

StatTiger

Guest WarEagleSteve
10 hours ago, alexava said:

Bubble screens rarely gain much and hardly ever gain in the red zone. By quick hitters I do mean slants shallow crosses hell a bammer type pick is ok with me. These plays require a snap quick read and get the ball out quick. That is tough. It requires a good call so the throw is there and Sean to have a lane to throw it. He is 6' tall and there are 5 olinemen and ideally 4 dlinemen averaging 6'4" jumping up and down waving arms between him and the target. I think he has these plays called but holds on because it's either not there or he can't see it. He has to slide laterally to find an opening and the windows close.  So we try the rollout. It didn't work next time it might. I assume they didn't roll him to his right to avoid giving Carlson that bad angle? We have to scheme better, throw better catch better and block better.  No one area gets all the blame. I am encouraged by how we get there though. 

I think much of it has to do with playcalling. Right now, this offense lacks variety and sophistication in the passing game. SW's height isn't helping him but we also make next to no attempt to provide him with opportunities in inside the 20. Slants, fades, corners, crossing routes, etc. don't seem to exist in our playbook. Drew Brees is about Sean's height and I've spent several Sunday afternoons watching him absolutely eviscerate defenses inside the red zone. It can be done. 

The lack of finishing drives is just as much due to poor execution as it is play calling or anything else. The goal line stand by LSU is a perfect example. On third down the Center and right guard doubled teamed a down lineman and the Right tackle and extra tight end double teamed another down lineman. This double double team led to a huge hole, that an LSU lineback flew through to hit Petway before he got going. I'm confident one of those linemen was responsible for that linebacker and missed their assignment. 

That leads to 4th and 1 and KJ as wildcat. He runs the read and goes behind the left tackle, attacking the goal line and is stuffed by two LSU defenders. If you watch the playback, there are no defenders outside the tacklebox, and KJ had a very good chance to get in if he took it outside around the end. 

I expect the execution to get better as this team matures. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

The lack of finishing drives is just as much due to poor execution as it is play calling or anything else. The goal line stand by LSU is a perfect example. On third down the Center and right guard doubled teamed a down lineman and the Right tackle and extra tight end double teamed another down lineman. This double double team led to a huge hole, that an LSU lineback flew through to hit Petway before he got going. I'm confident one of those linemen was responsible for that linebacker and missed their assignment. 

That leads to 4th and 1 and KJ as wildcat. He runs the read and goes behind the left tackle, attacking the goal line and is stuffed by two LSU defenders. If you watch the playback, there are no defenders outside the tacklebox, and KJ had a very good chance to get in if he took it outside around the end. 

I expect the execution to get better as this team matures. 

I saw the exact same. Plus we had one Stevens could have caught ( I don't say dropped because it was not a gimme and some are too hard on #8) and one Sean missed( not rz a deep miss). If players make a few of these plays the coaches are remarkably better play callers. I don't point a finger in any one particular position. All have a chance to do better and all of them can. 

17 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Is this ranked by season total quantity or per game avg? Just curious since we have played 3 power-5 teams and I'm sure many teams have only played 2 so far. Very positive stat either way.

#2 for overall and tied for 5th based on average per game. There are 22 other teams with a better average per game. The national average is 3.5 per game against power-5 teams and Auburn is currently averaging 4.7.

• Like 1