Advice for Starkville

3rdgeneration

Hey, if we decide to travel to Starkville to see the game, does anyone have suggestions on where to spend the night? Where does the team usually stay? Are there areas to stay away from? How about places to eat, park, etc? How is traffic? Is it as bad as it is in Auburn? Any advice would be appreciated. I was already told to bring ear plugs!

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Hey, if we decide to travel to Starkville to see the game, does anyone have suggestions on where to spend the night? Where does the team usually stay? Are there areas to stay away from? How about places to eat, park, etc? How is traffic? Is it as bad as it is in Auburn? Any advice would be appreciated. I was already told to bring ear plugs!

i live about 45 minutes from starkville....not a hard place to get to, nor is it a bad place to go....i would suggest staying in reform,vernon, gordo,fayette,etc which are close enough and within an hour or so of starkville....i am sure columbus miss will be full

18 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i live about 45 minutes from starkville....not a hard place to get to, nor is it a bad place to go....i would suggest staying in reform,vernon, gordo,fayette,etc which are close enough and within an hour or so of starkville....i am sure columbus miss will be full

Not Sure if any decent places to stay in towns mentioned. Tuscaloosa might be best option then. Less that 90 minutes away. 

FYI, in 2014 the team stayed at the Hotel Capstone in Tuscaloosa.

No idea where the team will stay, but I think you can still get a room at the Courtyard Marriott or Hampton Inn in Columbus. It's about 20 minutes from campus.

As for places to eat, there are a bunch of places to pick from in Starkville (unlike when I was growing up there). Here are my top five suggestions:
1) Restaurant Tyler (Main Street, which turns into University and leads directly into campus) - personal opinion, it's the best food in town. It's also "upscale" and pricey for central Mississippi, but if you're looking to sit down and have a meal, go here. It'll be worth the money and time.
2) Little Dooey (just off University) - this is the main stay for Starkville food. Folks at ESPN love this place. It's quality BBQ, but when I go, I order the fried catfish. It's one of the best pieces of catfish you'll ever eat, and they have killer sides.
3) Petty's BBQ - (Hwy 12) - nothing fancy here. It's a smoker sitting in a concrete lot with a little shack for ordering and an open air canopy with some picnic tables. It's good BBQ though. For me, better than Dooey's on that front.
4) Bin 612 (University in the Cotton District) - less than a mile from campus (with more food options near it).
5) Stromboli's - (University) - another hole in the wall. It's always crowded with walk-ups, but they make really good pizza. It's just outside the Cotton District as well so it's an easy walk from campus.

I also recommend hitting 929 Coffee if you're a coffee drinker. They have really good coffee and actually care about roasting and brewing it properly. It's on Main Street. Easy to find for a morning pop in.

Hope you enjoy Starkville. It's come a long, long way from what folks think. It's a fun town with good food and all the trappings a good college town should have.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:58 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

I think you might have to stay in Columbus for the game. Starkville has some decent hotels, but they are smaller in numbers compared to Auburn I would go online and do a  search for hotels & motels in Starkville MS & Columbus MS. I took some classes on campus before transferring to Duke. Starkville is a nice place no doubt, but trying to book a hotel in Starkville this late before the game is difficult. If you do not have tickets, you will be able to buy some from folks walking around selling them. You can buy them for face value, however; you might have to pay a bit over face value. I hope you have a great time in Starkville and will go home with a big win over the dogs.

You might want to look in the Tupelo area. They are about 50-60 miles north of Starkville. I think you will be able find something there.

I'll echo what @mcgufcm and @doc4aday said. You can also look in some smaller towns to the west as well...Louisville and Kosiusko. 

Starkville has changed A LOT in the last 10 years or so. Lots of really good places to eat. All the ones listed are really good. I'll add Central Station Grill as well. I hope ya'll have a great time!

For those that know, what's the name of the REALLY small steak restaurant in Columbus? Glass front view of cook @ charcoal pit. One of my top 10 best steaks of all time. Been at least 20 years. 

18 minutes ago, WarTim said:

For those that know, what's the name of the REALLY small steak restaurant in Columbus? Glass front view of cook @ charcoal pit. One of my top 10 best steaks of all time. Been at least 20 years. 

Old Hickory in Columbus is like that. Also, Cappe's in Starkvegas, but they had a fire several years ago...not sure if they reopened.

Thanks, guys! Looks like we are going, but will stay at a friend's in B'ham on Friday night and drive over. The hubs is too cheap to pay $150 for a hotel room for one night. :-\ Anyway, we will look some of these places up! I appreciate all the advice.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Old Hickory in Columbus is like that. Also, Cappe's in Starkvegas, but they had a fire several years ago...not sure if they reopened.

I have dined at both. Can't go wrong with either one. 

I am originally from the area Columbus area and just recently graduated from MSU, but getting a hotel would be hard this late.  I would recommend Louisville, Tupelo, or West Point (depending on location). As for things to do in Starkville, be prepared for a massive crowd, it's Bulldog Bash this weekend. I know the cotton district will be packed, due to the free concert Friday night. As for places to eat Little Dooey, Resturant Tyler, Veranda, Stromboli's, Bulldog Burger, and the Bin. Two places that are hidden in the District are Commadore Bob's and Two Brother's Smoked Meats (BBQ). For breakfast Starkville Cafe or the biscuit shop, but be prepared for a long wait. 

Cappe's has reopened by the way. If someone is interested in grabbing a steak in Starkville. Good folks run that place. And I agree with Tim, Old Hickory is a quality piece of meat.

BRING A REALLY GOOD SET OF EARPLUGS!!! Seriously. I was at the game two years ago when both teams were ranked in the top ten. My ears were ringing throughout the rest of the weekend.

16 hours ago, WarTim said:

When my wife was in school there in the early 2000's, Harveys was there.  I'm not sure if that is the one you are talking about or if it is still there.  It was good food though, so if it is still there, I would recommend.

The only advice that I have for Starkville?

Clean up your act and try to act like Auburn.

:beer2:

On October 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM, thaitopher said:

BRING A REALLY GOOD SET OF EARPLUGS!!! Seriously. I was at the game two years ago when both teams were ranked in the top ten. My ears were ringing throughout the rest of the weekend.

Eh?

Maybe things have changed with the new endzone but I didn't think the cow bells were that loud in 2010.  As far as Starkville goes IMO its the dump of the SEC.  The stadium is a high school stadium and the campus isn't anything special.  Starkville makes Auburn look like a big city.  I'll be there so maybe my opinion will change if Auburn wins!

P.S. Dan Mullen is a clown

Archived