2017 4* Safety CJ Avery (Louisville 12/14/16)

ellitor

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

was supposed to at 6. Hopefully he puts it off. It is supposed to be Louisville.

Doubt it. It's just a very long interview right now with HFSNetwork.com.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Is it just me being incorrect or has McGriff missed on pretty much every major target he has had?

won't be here long enough for us to take advantage of his recruiting abilities. that is what he is known for.

Just now, thaitopher said:

Is it just me being incorrect or has McGriff missed on pretty much every major target he has had?

I would not call Bishop a miss. He just now started getting involved in that recruitment & Gus was not told til this past week Tray did not want to play QB anymore. He had Askew & Peters high on his board and got them fairly early. He kept Carlito who committed under the old staff. Who else ya got?

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

What recruits will Auburn go after now for the safety position?

Don't really need another one with 2 committed but they are going after Devon Hunter & supposedly making a move.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

won't be here long enough for us to take advantage of his recruiting abilities. that is what he is known for.

He's a good coach too. Just ask Javaris Davis.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's a good coach too. Just ask Javaris Davis.

Just sticking up for his recruiting abilities that I am sure some people do not think highly of. IF he does end up staying We will see big dividends down the road with him. He is a beast of a recruiter. just needs more time to build relationships we were behind on.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just sticking up for his recruiting abilities that I am sure some people do not think highly of. IF he does end up staying We will see big dividends down the road with him. He is a beast of a recruiter. just needs more time to build relationships we were behind on.

Yup. Typically takes 2 years to build good relationships with recruits at minimum. Other coaches that have been moving around moved around from other colleges and already had relationships with recruits. CWM last job was with the Saints where he is not building relationships with recruits...

And FWIW CWM to the Rebs is hardly a slam dunk right now. Still a lot of factors in play that can have this going either way.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Typically takes 2 years to build good relationships with recruits at minimum. Other coaches that have been moving around moved around from other colleges and already had relationships with recruits. CWM last job was with the Saints where he is not building relationships with recruits...

And FWIW CWM to the Rebs is hardly a slam dunk right now. Still a lot of factors in play that can have this going either way.

yah its pretty clear freeze is turning over every stone and rock trying to find a splashier candidate and he can do that because mcgriff is not up for any other DC job. He will be there if everyone says no. Which honestly could easily happen haha. Ole Miss is not a place the high profile candidates want to be right now.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would not call Bishop a miss. He just now started getting involved in that recruitment & Gus was not told til this past week Tray did not want to play QB anymore. He had Askew & Peters high on his board and got them fairly early. He kept Carlito who committed under the old staff. Who else ya got?

Nigel Warrior

AJ Terrell

Deangelo Gibbs

Devon Hunter

Xavier McKinney

Christopher Henderson

Jaymest Williams

Deon Jones

Brad Stewart

6 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Nigel Warrior

AJ Terrell

Deangelo Gibbs

Devon Hunter

Xavier McKinney

Christopher Henderson

Jaymest Williams

Deon Jones

Brad Stewart

nigel was SO close I thought we had him! and he only had like a month or 2 to work on him. Ultimately he is a legacy and it fell thru. Unfortunately second in recruiting is even worse than 2nd on the field. it means absolutely nothing. If he stays long enough the people he will get will open your eyes. He pulled treadwell out of chicago for ole miss. I KNOW I KNOW you probaly think he was bought and paid for but imo that was mainly tunsil in that class.

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nigel Warrior, but he had a good excuse last year. Not so much this year. At this point, he has had enough time to start developing relationships that he shouldn't be able to use that excuse anymore. I give him credit for Askew, but as a whole we don't seem to have gotten any truly elite DBs or safeties over the last two years.  

Just now, thaitopher said:

Nigel Warrior, but he had a good excuse last year. Not so much this year. At this point, he has had enough time to start developing relationships that he shouldn't be able to use that excuse anymore. I give him credit for Askew, but as a whole we don't seem to have gotten any truly elite DBs or safeties over the last two years.  

Honestly that has always been our weakest position over several head coaches when it comes to recruiting. in the rivals era since like 2002 we have never had a 5 star db from my knowledge at least. We do not put enough DBs in to the league. and we are in the same conference with bama, lsu and florida who do.

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

yah its pretty clear freeze is turning over every stone and rock trying to find a splashier candidate and he can do that because mcgriff is not up for any other DC job. He will be there if everyone says no. Which honestly could easily happen haha. Ole Miss is not a place the high profile candidates want to be right now.

There's more to it than everyone saying no. 1. More than a splash hire they want someone with DC experience because Ole Miss has to win fairly big next year or that staff is done. Also it ain't a given CWM would take the job given there is very little security there, especially if AU gives him a raise & a guaranteed 3 year deal which is veryy possible.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Honestly that has always been our weakest position over several head coaches when it comes to recruiting. in the rivals era since like 2002 we have never had a 5 star db from my knowledge at least. We do not put enough DBs in to the league. and we are in the same conference with bama, lsu and florida who do.

Isn't that why we are paying McGriff the big bucks? To not be in that category anymore?

7 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Isn't that why we are paying McGriff the big bucks? To not be in that category anymore?

he has a legit shot at hunter like E said. thats a elite db. He will get them if he stays long enough.  If Trob had stayed man our db recruiting would be lights out. unfortunate south carolina whiffed on like 7 coaches before they got to muschamp haha.

19 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Nigel Warrior

AJ Terrell

Deangelo Gibbs

Devon Hunter

Xavier McKinney

Christopher Henderson

Jaymest Williams

Deon Jones

Brad Stewart

First of all. Throw out year 1  especially since he was only on the job 1 month before NSD. Can't build relationships with high school players when you are coaching pro ball folks. Now on to these names.

Nigel Warrior- Year 1. Did a hell of a job making it a very close battle only having 1 month to recruit him.

AJ Terrell- Year 1 aka throw it out

Deangelo Gibbs- UGA was always going to be very tough to beat. He has family going there.

Devon Hunter- Not a miss yet. AU is making a move.

Xavier McKinney- Not sure AU was ever high on him.

Christopher Henderson- AU never pushed for him.

Jaymest Williams- Did not have a commitable AU offer

Deon Jones- Was never a major target

Brad Stewart- AU never pushed for him.

Of those the only real miss that AU went hard after was Gibbs and Hunter if we miss on him.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There's more to it than everyone saying no. 1. More than a splash hire they want someone with DC experience because Ole Miss has to win fairly big next year or that staff is done. Also it ain't a given CWM would take the job given there is very little security there, especially if AU gives him a raise & a guaranteed 3 year deal which is veryy possible.

well a splash hire goes hand in hand with someone with experience! haha but yes ole miss is a cess pool right now. I can see why he would go when else will he be afforded the chance to be a dc at a sec school. may just jump because of that. its a huge risk like you said though.

2 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

Is this kid an EE or is there still time to flip him later?

EE

31 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Man it takes 2 years to build winnable relationships with many kids, especially when a coach is coming from a 4 year stint in the pros where he has not even talked to high schoolers in that time.Coming from the pros is a hell of a starting point but it does not build relationships on its own. Many other coaches have been talking to these kids since their freshmen & soph year. CWM has only been talking to the 2017 crop since after their Jr football seasons when AU hired him.

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

First of all. Throw out year 1  especially since he was only on the job 1 month before NSD. Can't build relationships with high school players when you are coaching pro ball folks. Now on to these names.

Nigel Warrior- Year 1. Did a hell of a job making it a very close battle only having 1 month to recruit him.

AJ Terrell- Year 1 aka throw it out

Deangelo Gibbs- UGA was always going to be very tough to beat. He has family going there.

Devon Hunter- Not a miss yet. AU is making a move.

Xavier McKinney- Not sure AU was ever high on him.

Christopher Henderson- AU never pushed for him.

Jaymest Williams- Did not have a commitable AU offer

Deon Jones- Was never a major target

Brad Stewart- AU never pushed for him.

Of those the only real miss that AU went hard after was Gibbs and Hunter if we miss on him.

If we never pushed for half of these guys, and instead pushed for 2* CB committed to UNC then that is absolutely pathetic! 

Archived