World markets are tanking

RunInRed

A "few tariffs on a few products" like ...

China on Wednesday, matching the scale of proposed U.S. tariffs announced the previous day, said it would levy an additional 25 percent levy on around $50 billion of U.S. imports including soybeans, automobiles, chemicals and aircraft.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/u-s-china-tariff-list-takes-aim-at-technologies-beijing-covets

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So, @RunInRed, what happened with the market shortly after your post? Still all Trump, right?

Trade War headwinds are out there ... you think otherwise?  We'll see ... 

Wish you guys could make up your minds....it's tanking....then it's booming.  Tariffs are gonna create a trade war.....and then someone says it's not that big a thing since China wants to talk....and on it goes....up Thursday afternoon....tanked Monday afternoon.....but ...oops...jumped up Tuesday afternoon and tanked Wednesday morning.....but not for long....and up 1% by end of the day.....this stuff is giving me whiplash.....and it must be worse for those who seem so gleeful on the downs and sad on the upswings....worse than suffering from manic-depression. .

The key to happiness is just stay out of the shorts market.... and when the market makes a sudden jump you can be happy for the millions of investors who are happy to see a little green in their retirement funds. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wish you guys could make up your minds....it's tanking....then it's booming.  Tariffs are gonna create a trade war.....and then someone says it's not that big a thing since China wants to talk....and on it goes....up Thursday afternoon....tanked Monday afternoon.....but ...oops...jumped up Tuesday afternoon and tanked Wednesday morning.....but not for long....and up 1% by end of the day.....this stuff is giving me whiplash.....and it must be worse for those who seem so gleeful on the downs and sad on the upswings....worse than suffering from manic-depression. .

The key to happiness is just stay out of the shorts market.... and when the market makes a sudden jump you can be happy for the millions of investors who are happy to see a little green in their retirement funds. 

64, bet you don't check Zillow every morning to see what your house is worth do ya?

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

giphy.gif

Salty, I'll give you 10 Schrute bucks if you can tell me where this gif originated from.

Trump playing chicken with China - the country who is the largest holder of our debt, seems like a brilliant plan.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:07 PM, AU64 said:

While I personally agree with you, tell that to the soybean farmer who's just planted a couple hundred acres.

Dow down 600 today. Volatile market right now. 

16 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Trump playing chicken with China - the country who is the largest holder of our debt, seems like a brilliant plan.

Maybe we can do what China did. After the next  election and since the government changes. We should then refuse to pay the debt or deny even owing the money.

But currently, the People’s Republic of China owes a debt of over $750 billion to American citizens who are holding these full faith and credit sovereign bonds (many of them denominated in gold) sold to them by the Republic of China. Worldwide, the debt China owes to all bondholders is estimated to be several trillion dollars.

22 minutes ago, WDavE said:

Maybe we can do what China did. After the next  election and since the government changes. We should then refuse to pay the debt or deny even owing the money.

But currently, the People’s Republic of China owes a debt of over $750 billion to American citizens who are holding these full faith and credit sovereign bonds (many of them denominated in gold) sold to them by the Republic of China. Worldwide, the debt China owes to all bondholders is estimated to be several trillion dollars.

This seems like a brilliant plan :rollseye:

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

While I personally agree with you, tell that to the soybean farmer who's just planted a couple hundred acres.

I can see that Brother Homer. Do these guys hedge their yearly gamble?

11 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Of course...

But looks like none of the traders want to hold stocks over the weekends these days........have to credit DT with that since nobody knows what he might tweet that could affect the market ......so they sell on Friday and buy on Monday.....crazy way to run a railroad. 

Even the media seems to have trouble telling the difference between "traders" and "investors"  unless they consider the folks turning the roulette wheels in Las Vegas as "investors"...

22 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Farming is always a gamble. My Dad use to pray for rain or for it not to rain. Me I would pray for rain that way I did not have to work to hard that day.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Farming is always a gamble. My Dad use to pray for rain or for it not to rain. Me I would pray for rain that way I did not have to work to hard that day.

Now he would be praying for impeachment.  

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Now he would be praying for impeachment.  

Didn't know you knew my Dad. Disabled WWII vet who fought in the Philippines ran for senator as a Republican in Ala. in the 60's when Al. was all George Wallace democrat. 

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Didn't know you knew my Dad. Disabled WWII vet who fought in the Philippines ran for senator as a Republican in Ala. in the 60's when Al. was all George Wallace democrat. 

Lighten up snowflake.  You like to jump it with quips.  Do you have an exclusive?

I was not insulting your Dad. 

I figured that was obvious.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Lighten up snowflake. 

I was not insulting your Dad.  I figured that was obvious.

Good grief homer don't you ever have fun. Calling me a snowflake wow don't take everything so serious. I should have known not to answer your post. 

Archived