World markets are tanking

RunInRed

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

May need to update your graphic, down another 350 so far today ... 

Corrections happen. If you invest in the market you better expect it and take steps when you see it coming. I'm making money today. If you want make some and are patient now is a good time to jump in to some quality stocks.

12 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Corrections happen. If you invest in the market you better expect it and take steps when you see it coming. I'm making money today. If you want make some and are patient now is a good time to jump in to some quality stocks.

Wrong.

Buying stocks now would be the classical "buy high" strategy.  If you have been fully invested since 2008, now is the time to be selling stocks.  At least if you are in your 60's or older.

You are also wrong about "taking steps when you see it coming".  Market timing is a myth.

These dumbasses in DC never learn ... it's the G.W.Bush thing all over again ... we have steady growth and a solid economy under Democrats ... but Republicans always say it's anemic, 2% GDP, 200K jobs per month isn't good enough ... we could be doing so much better if it wasn't for these pesky regulations and need for a tax cut!   So what happens, we deregulate, we try to trickle down ... it's all a nice initial sugar high.  Then it comes crashing down.  Then Democrats come back in and try to start cleaning up ... and the cycle repeats.

At least we now know how long Obama's influence on the economy lasted. It was until last Thursday, right? Trump officially became responsible on Friday Feb 2. Is that correct libs?

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

At least we now know how long Obama's influence on the economy lasted. It was until last Thursday, right? Trump officially became responsible on Friday Feb 2. Is that correct libs?

Trump started doing damage the day he was sworn.  There's direct legislative results (see Tax Cut), there's what seems like endless Executive Orders, alignment of under-qualified resources to positions where they exert influence and then's there's the less tangible tone constant coming out of this administration under cutting it all.  Call what started last Thursday a correction or just the chickens coming home to roost ... whatever it is, here we are.

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

There's an argument to be made, as Morgan Stanley did before the tax cuts passed, that the tax policy was basically the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a steady fire.  It was bound to get out of control.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Trump started doing damage the day he was sworn.  There's direct legislative results (see Tax Cut), there's what seems like endless Executive Orders, alignment of under-qualified resources to positions where they exert influence and then's there's the less tangible tone constant coming out of this administration under cutting it all.  Call what started last Thursday a correction or just the chickens coming home to roost ... whatever it is, here we are.

I got you, so Obama is STILL having a good effect on our economy in spite of Trumps efforts to mess it up. The economy would have been FAR better this year if Trump hadn't interfered with what Obama put into place. Have I got it right? I think I am learning to think like a liberal! Thanks for the lessons!

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's an argument to be made, as Morgan Stanley did before the tax cuts passed, that the tax policy was basically the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a steady fire.  It was bound to get out of control.

I don't know what the economy is going to do, I just think it is HILARIOUS how partisan everyone is about the economy and everything else. We could enjoy a good economy despite who the president is, but that wouldn't engender enough hate would it?

10 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Sounding let every other Right Winger now. You used to have a bit more polish.

6 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I got you, so Obama is STILL having a good effect on our economy in spite of Trumps efforts to mess it up. The economy would have been FAR better this year if Trump hadn't interfered with what Obama put into place. Have I got it right? I think I am learning to think like a liberal! Thanks for the lessons!

You wouldn’t have gotten the artificial sugar high under Obama ... point conceded?  But responsible growth seed likely based on track record of job creation and gdp growth.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Sounding let every other Right Winger now. You used to have a bit more polish.

You are correct. I just get more irritated than normal when people come in and gloat because the stock market is doing poorly. It makes me sad that some people would prefer bad things to happen to the country just so they can think they are right. It is another character flaw of mine.

I also thought is was sad then the republicans announced that their agenda after Obama was elected was to make him a one-term president.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

You wouldn’t have gotten the artificial sugar high under Obama ... point conceded?  But responsible growth seed likely based on track record of job creation and gdp growth.

Sure I concede to all of your points. Why don't you rub it in and go ahead and explain to us what will happen to the economy for the rest of 2018?

6 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I don't know what the economy is going to do, I just think it is HILARIOUS how partisan everyone is about the economy and everything else. We could enjoy a good economy despite who the president is, but that wouldn't engender enough hate would it?

Well the economy became a partisan debate in the election.  Trump and Republicans made it a focal point, despite the fact that the economy had been growing at a steady, sustainable rate for years.  But that wasn't enough, so they attacked the prior administration's economic policies.  Like I said, this could simply be a correction or cool down, but it also could be something worse as we've seen in the past.

7 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Sure I concede to all of your points. Why don't you rub it in and go ahead and explain to us what will happen to the economy for the rest of 2018?

I think we're heading for a DOW that will settle in around 20K by the mid-terms.  I could be wrong but I don't like the long-term fundamentals in the bond markets, particularly how our only stop-gap to printing more money is hoping for a 3-5% annual GDP as an offset.

AT&T is a stock I'm holding and now looking to add more of with the recent dip. The now 5+% dividend is also enticing.

Wal-Mart had a nice run. I reduced some of my stock a couple weeks ago, while keeping a decent chunk. Not looking to add anymore for now.

Valero- I jumped out too quick., but at the same time I got lucky with this one. It ran right up to $100 and I got out in the $80s. I bought in in the upper $40s - low $50s.

Target - I bought in when the bathroom issue beat up on the stock. Just holding, but not looking to add at the moment.

Southern Company- My stock has been fairly flat, but continue using their dividends to buy more of their stock. With it's recent selloff, it's dividend is now over 5%.

Ford- I do not own stock. I thought about adding some for quite a while, but never pulled the trigger. It hit a 52 week low today. It's another stock that currently has a dividend of over 5%

On 2/5/2018 at 3:35 PM, Grumps said:

I assume this is satire, but I will answer anyway, as it may not.

First, the market is not the economy.

Second, the effect of any president on the economy has a relatively long lead time.  For example, the factors that led to the 2008 crash and recession arguably started with Clinton.  And the factors that resulted in the recovery arguably started with Bush. Assigning immediate credit - or blame - for current economic conditions to the president is naive, if not ignorant.

Today's economy is essentially a product of everything that has gone before.  Trump trying to take credit for it is understandible but nevertheless laughable.

On 2/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, Grumps said:

This year's economy was already baked in.  What Trump did with his tax cut was to harm the economy a few years down the road.

About the only immediate effect Trump could have on the economy would be to cancel NAFTA or some such with his trade policy.  And it would be negative.

If your posts are serious, you need to worry about learning to think, period.

On 2/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, Auburn85 said:

AT&T is a stock I'm holding and now looking to add more of with the recent dip. The now 5+% dividend is also enticing.

Wal-Mart had a nice run. I reduced some of my stock a couple weeks ago, while keeping a decent chunk. Not looking to add anymore for now.

Valero- I jumped out too quick., but at the same time I got lucky with this one. It ran right up to $100 and I got out in the $80s. I bought in in the upper $40s - low $50s.

Target - I bought in when the bathroom issue beat up on the stock. Just holding, but not looking to add at the moment.

Southern Company- My stock has been fairly flat, but continue using their dividends to buy more of their stock. With it's recent selloff, it's dividend is now over 5%.

Ford- I do not own stock. I thought about adding some for quite a while, but never pulled the trigger. It hit a 52 week low today. It's another stock that currently has a dividend of over 5%

Gotta love stock pickers.  I used to be one. 

I am sure you've heard the story about the "chicken peck" portfolio outperforming most managed funds.  

As my wife used to tell me, you're problem is, you think you're smarter than a chicken. ;D

Buying opportunity JMO....was nice to have some cash hanging around late today......JMO but last week will not be the last time we see 26,000....

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Buying opportunity JMO....was nice to have some cash hanging around late today......JMO but last week will not be the last time we see 26,000....

Well no, it won't be the last time we see 26,000.  The market has always gone up over the long term, but today was the single worst day in market history with regards to raw points lost on the Dow.  Certainly concerning when we've lost about 2,200 points in the last three trading days.

I meant to start a thread on this, but Trump not approving Janet Yellen for another term - which she would have accepted - was stupid and petty.  (I'm convinced the only reason he didn't renew her was because she was an Obama appointment.)

She did an excellent job and will be missed.  Part of the reason for today's market drop was because of this.

Archived