2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

"Does that mean QB play is the only thing that matters? NOPE. Can QB play change you from being an average team to a good to a great team?Yes "

You're so right Clark. How any Auburn fan can argue against this after 2010 completely blows my mind. Our team would've been pretty good in 2010 but Cam took it to a whole new level.

Hey! It's a red letter day. Jeff and I are saying the exact same thing! Mark it down, as that doesn't happen very often. :)

Let me also day I think Kelly is talented, and I think he has guts. I think he's good. I just don't think he's first round franchise good. That's the hype I'm talking about. But he's a good qb that's what I'm saying

I'm with you Cole

Agreed. Fwiw, Cole, that is what I gathered from your initial comment on Kelly.

Anybody want to project what Gatewood's measurables will be after his first summer at Auburn? Probably already discussed, and I really don't care. 6'3 200+ is already plenty big. Just throwing out something Gatewood-related to yap about until there's something concrete to discuss.

Let me also day I think Kelly is talented, and I think he has guts. I think he's good. I just don't think he's first round franchise good. That's the hype I'm talking about. But he's a good qb that's what I'm saying

I'm with you Cole

Agreed. Fwiw, Cole, that is what I gathered from your initial comment on Kelly.

Anybody want to project what Gatewood's measurables will be after his first summer at Auburn? Probably already discussed, and I really don't care. 6'3 200+ is already plenty big. Just throwing out something Gatewood-related to yap about until there's something concrete to discuss.

I bet he can throw a football over that there mountain, by God.

^Agreed. We NEED to get someone out of JUCO (or prep school if WB goes there) for the 2017 class! We could be stuck in the SEC cellar until Gatewood arrives or has a year under his belt if not. If we stay in that cellar for the next two years, should we make a coaching change? Or should we keep GM to get JG?

Please Joey, stick with us and QUALIFY! And graduating early would be nice...

The idea that one QB will make bad seasons into good ones and keep us out of the SEC cellar is, to say the least, very weird. A good team (which we will have) won't be in the cellar because of one position.

This is just stupid. The QB position is one of the most integral positions in the game of football. Look at what happened to Oregon, the games that Vernon Adams did not play for them. Anytime they faced a team with a pulse they lost. TCU scored an unprecedented 31 unanswered points against the ducks in the second half in his absence and they got obliterated when he wasn't there during their game against the UTES.

Adams played defense too? Who knew he was a renaissance man?

Yeah this went right over your head. I wasn't expecting you to understand anyhow. Anywho, this Joey Gatewood! Pretty good, huh?

Nothing went over my head, you're just wrong. If a team gives up 31 points in a half it's not due to their own QB play, it's because their defense sucks. So, as I said, the QB position alone won't put an otherwise good team in the cellar. Now, if they have poor QB play and the defense sucks and their RB's fumble and their receivers drop good passes, then they will end up in the cellar but it won't be solely because of the QB.

31 UNANSWERED points. Do you know what UNANSWERED means? It means despite the defense giving up 31 points, the offense put up ZILCH the whole second half. You can have the best defense in the nation, you can have boobie miles in the backfield and Jerry Rice at the Z, but if you have uncle rico as your QB, none of those makes much of a difference. You are the only person on this thread who remotely believes this notion. Oregon was a completely different team with Vernon Adams than without him. I think AUJeff cited that Oregon only had 18 yards on 18 plays for the second half, after producing over 300 yards in the first half, yet you are going to blame the defense.

With Vernon Adams, they lose to Michigan state by 3 at Spartan stadium. Without Vernon Adams, they lose 62 - 20 against UTAH at Eugene. With Vernon Adams, they are up 31-0 against TCU at the half. Without Vernon Adams, they ultimately lose 47-41 in OT against TCU. He makes a huge difference in their team dynamics. You can keep your head in the sand all you want, but if he doesn't play for Oregon, they are probably 6-6 like us.

Does that mean QB play is the only thing that matters? NOPE. Can QB play change you from being an average team to a good to a great team? Yes.

Speaking of Adams, just signed with Montreal Alouettes in Canadian League.

I just hope he gets here.

Thanks for the salt peter

Kudos. Wisecrack of the week award!

I read that his HS semester doesn't end until the first week of June, so I guess he won't be here next weekend with the rest of the guys. Not sure when it will be.

He is expected in June 27th for the last half of Summer term.

I read that his HS semester doesn't end until the first week of June, so I guess he won't be here next weekend with the rest of the guys. Not sure when it will be.

Gatewood skipped two years and is arriving this June 27th? Oh happy day!!!!

I thought he seemed very bright. This is impressive. I bet he wins the starting QB job. TeeHee.

Pretty sure Ironman was talking about Woody B. since there's no reason to talk about Joey's grad day 2 years out. I was on the same wave with Ironman but should have clarified in my OP I and I thought he, was referring to Woody even though it was the wrong thread.

Pretty sure Ironman was talking about Woody B. since there's no reason to talk about Joey's grad day 2 years out. I was on the same wave with Ironman but should have clarified in my OP I and I thought he, was referring to Woody even though it was the wrong thread.

Yeah, posted it in the wrong thread. I deleted it soon after but you must have responded as I was deleting it. We're on the same wave length. Well at least we got Woody B. straight, lol.

Yeah, posted it in the wrong thread. I deleted it soon after but you must have responded as I was deleting it. We're on the same wave length. Well at least we got Woody B. straight, lol.

I'm not going to miss a chance to kick 'em when they're down!

I'm not going to miss a chance to kick 'em when they're down!

I hear ya, lol.

• 2 months later...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300jr/sort/rank/class/2018

espn just released their first JR 300 rankings and Gatewood is the #2 QB in the class and the #12 overall player in the country.  will this change is composite ranking?

13 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300jr/sort/rank/class/2018

espn just released their first JR 300 rankings and Gatewood is the #2 QB in the class and the #12 overall player in the country.  will this change is composite ranking?

He'll end up being a 5* from what it looks like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KerryThachWDE said:

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

He'll end up being a 5* from what it looks like. 

When the composite is updated yes it will change his composite ranking. He will be a 5* just barely. To keep that 5th star he will have to be ranked 45 or higher by Rivals when they change their 2018 Top 100 from Alphabetical order to evaluation rank order.

It sucks he will not be a full time QB this year & have to share QB time with 2 other guys.

Edited by ellitor

17 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

Why does he share time? 

Because the team he is on has a QB in this class and another in his class that also have college football offers.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because the team he is on has a QB in this class and another in his class that also have college football offers.

Sounds like we need to set up shop at that school.

1 minute ago, AUMASTERS said:

Sounds like we need to set up shop at that school.

Small colleges are there offers. Didn't mean to pull a Yoda.