i used to love college basketball

tombigbeetiger

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If you think this is a bad team you haven't been watching Auburn Basketball for the last 12 years 

While i somewhat agree, we are looking very seriously at the possibility of only 15 wins.  That's not terrible, but below average which qualifies as bad. Now that's not that big of a deal as long as we improve throughout theyear and become a DECENT team next year.  Anything less than 20 wins next year is a failure. I think would be the case for any coach that came in, not just Bruce. By year 4 you should be able to reach 20 wins.  I don't think that's asking too much. If Bruce can't do that with these guys, he needs to change his supporting staff IMO.  Now in no case does Bruce need to go, but if we struggle like this next year, he may need some different talent on the coaching staff. I don't know enough his assistant coaches previous experience to say either way, but right now our team is lacking in a bunch of fundamentals. Next year these guys will have had plenty of time to build some chemistry and should show marked improvement over what we see now. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I can't see how anyone watching this team thinks any of them could be one and done as far as the NBA concerned...nobody is really big enough, fast enough or can shoot well enough at this point.   Unless they just hate going to school, all of them should be hitting the books and planning on a few more years at AU. 

Harper has been the only one playing consistently enough the past five games to draw attention but I think his size and age will end up bringing him back even if he keeps it up 

so we know the extent of DPs injury? I don't recall hearing anything since the announcer said he wouldn't return

I agree that none appear to be ready as a one and done, but nowadays you just don't know what kids will do.  I don't think, based off what we have seen so far that any will move on after this season.  I was more so just trying to reference we need players in the system for several years instead of 1 to 2 years and gone, regardless of their situation.

Probably the highest probability in my opinion for leaving after this year is Purifoy. Again I don't think that would be the best decision, but him leaving would surprise me the least. 

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Bruce Pearl is a terrific coach.  Comments like this expose your lack of knowledge of the game and the condition of the program. It's obvious that you haven't been watching games.   Pearl can and will build a winning program here, its just not happening as quickly as some would like.  Patience is absolutely necessary here.  

Thanks for the insult, exactly what I was waiting on, Pearl's ability to coach is tremendous but is he coaching to the best of his ability?

Kalipari at Kentucky can take 4 or 5 freshmen and go deep into the NCAA tournament, why can't we? I think it is because we accept mediocrity as acceptable. We accept it from our coaches, not only in basketball but other sports as well. We should push our coaches and players to be their very best. Teaching is part of coaching and values such as teamwork and technique can be taught, but unless we all push for perfection,  we shall never reach it.

And yes frustration is setting in and is due to my expectation of a winning season is here today, right now. The frustration of other sports is also a factor, we seem to be happy to say we lost, but we played a great game, not acceptable!

Well off my soapbox I go, but I am old and waiting to win is just not an option.

Cheers

I'm more concerned with Pearl throwing his hands up and just going to an easier program for him to win at. A program where he doesn't have to pull it up from the depths of hell with his bare hands.

Yes that's how bad we were of a program relatively speaking compared to essentially every other power 5 team in the nation. Everyone should've known this was going to take a while. Pearl was the best coach in AU history, in ability, the day he walked through the door, that's how lucky we are to have him IMO.

Just now, Tiger said:

I'm more concerned with Pearl throwing his hands up and just going to an easier program for him to win at. A program where he doesn't have to pull it up from the depths of hell with his bare hands.

Yes that's how bad we were of a program relatively speaking compared to essentially every other power 5 team in the nation. Everyone should've known this was going to take a while. Pearl was the best coach in AU history, in ability, the day he walked through the door, that's how lucky we are to have him IMO.

Good thing about college basketball is unlike college football these days the truly good jobs are occupied for quite some time and rarely come open. college basketball is still the one sport where a coach stays for several years. Oklahoma State came open last offseason and at least out in the open not even a one iota of talk about bruce pearl to stillwater and that job is a clear upgrade. A big one as well. Bruce is getting talent. That used to always be the main issue for Auburn basketball. We are top heavy. No QUALITY depth. yes we are a deep team but not a lot of it is quality depth. Going to take a couple more recruiting classes for him. Barbee really screwed bruce on this one and Auburn.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Good thing about college basketball is unlike college football these days the truly good jobs are occupied for quite some time and rarely come open. college basketball is still the one sport where a coach stays for several years. Oklahoma State came open last offseason and at least out in the open not even a one iota of talk about bruce pearl to stillwater and that job is a clear upgrade. A big one as well. Bruce is getting talent. That used to always be the main issue for Auburn basketball. We are top heavy. No QUALITY depth. yes we are a deep team but not a lot of it is quality depth. Going to take a couple more recruiting classes for him. Barbee really screwed bruce on this one and Auburn.

I'd say Lebo put us in a big hole and Barbee promptly made the bottom fall out. He somehow made the situation way worse. Lol the only good thing to come from Barbee was that he put the program in such bad shape that the Varez Ward situation wasn't a huge story and almost nobody outside of AU cared about it because we were already so bad lolol

Removed political tangent.  If this is something you can't bear to let go of, we have a Politics Forum.  But many people come here with zero desire to deal with political discussions, so these things need to stay in the designated forum.

What a letdown this season is turning out to be. Two years in a row where we seem to be making strides in OOC only to implode in conference play. Last year was injuries and suspensions that caused the implosion. This year for whatever reason we've made every SEC team we've played look like the best shooters in college basketball. We better turn it around quick like cause this season is about to slip away. 

21 minutes ago, gravejd said:

What a letdown this season is turning out to be. Two years in a row where we seem to be making strides in OOC only to implode in conference play. Last year was injuries and suspensions that caused the implosion. This year for whatever reason we've made every SEC team we've played look like the best shooters in college basketball. We better turn it around quick like cause this season is about to slip away. 

Patience.

It's happening.  Look at how our younguns' handled the game against OM vs UGA.  Showed much more composure.  Look at how CBP handled the line up as well.  Despiite Dunans clear talent, Dunans was kept on the bench for the entire first half, allowing the team that plays together to have at it.  I don't see Dunans as much of a team player on O.  He hustles on D and is fun to watch, particularly on fast breaks.  He seems to not get into the flow of the O, does not look to pass, and makes poor shot choices for the team in the half court O.  

CBP inherited a dumpster fire.  It took two years to put it out and begin to bring in the talent.  He is just now getting on to the ground floor.  To hold him to four years to show marked improvement, your four years should start now.

Glad I read this thread, was about to start a new one about how the SEC has the worst officials I have ever seen, glad there is an agreement on this.

22 hours ago, Roos said:

Thanks for the insult, exactly what I was waiting on, Pearl's ability to coach is tremendous but is he coaching to the best of his ability?

Kalipari at Kentucky can take 4 or 5 freshmen and go deep into the NCAA tournament, why can't we? I think it is because we accept mediocrity as acceptable. We accept it from our coaches, not only in basketball but other sports as well. We should push our coaches and players to be their very best. Teaching is part of coaching and values such as teamwork and technique can be taught, but unless we all push for perfection,  we shall never reach it.

And yes frustration is setting in and is due to my expectation of a winning season is here today, right now. The frustration of other sports is also a factor, we seem to be happy to say we lost, but we played a great game, not acceptable!

Well off my soapbox I go, but I am old and waiting to win is just not an option.

Cheers

We have good talented freshmen, Calipari has elite talented Freshmen at all positions you really can't compare the two teams and say we are settling for being mediocre. We might have one player who could make the Kentucky top 7 players.

Regretting I opened this thread. The OP's attitude is what is wrong with AU basketball culture. At the first sign of adversity, run and scream the sky is falling. It hurt our season outlook to lose those two at home for sure, but the season is not over. We just tied last season's win total and by year's end will have clear improvement over last year, and higher expectations for next year. How much improvement and how high of expectations is yet to be determined. 

We got whipped by Vandy, that was discouraging. The other two SEC losses were competitive, we probably should have won at least one, and arguable our best player was hurt during the other. 

Suddenly CBP can't coach, we will lose our players to the NBA, and we won't win more than 14 games? What in the world?

We have freshman on normal trajectories (like most of the nation). Kentucky always gets freshman that are not planning on seeing their sophomore seasons. There's a better chance that the rule for the NBA draft changes before we get to that level of just recruiting one-and-dones year in and year out. And I'm fine with that we don't need to recruit at that level to be a top program

Someone on the team needs to learn defense.  We need inside defensive stoppers.  Spencer is out best shot there but he is slightly undersized against the really big inside players.  Outside Brown is probably the best defender we have and one of the best spot shooters we have but that doesn't mean heave up a shot every time it touches his hands.  That's what this team is lacking

Archived