Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

It was a joke about Kodi coming here a year before Chip

Thanks my friend!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I hope he teaches his QBs to call their own plays.  That is a tent pole of the Air Raid, but we'll just have to see if he carried it into his hybrid offense.

Forgive my continued ignorance.

No obstinance intended, but

isn't this the essence that keeps any option-based offense from getting smothered?

3 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

isn't this the essence that keeps any option-based offense from getting smothered?

Gus has always done it from the sideline.  Not sure if he didn't trust the QB, but he wanted to see the defense and make the call.

At the risk of oversimplification, in a true spread, one back passing oriented attack, the QB can look and if there are 6 in the box, he calls a run, and if there are 7 or more in the box he calls a pass.  But, "in the box" can be subjective based on your formation and who is determining if people are in the box.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Gus has always done it from the sideline.  Not sure if he didn't trust the QB, but he wanted to see the defense and make the call.

At the risk of oversimplification, in a true spread, one back passing oriented attack, the QB can look and if there are 6 in the box, he calls a run, and if there are 7 or more in the box he calls a pass.  But, "in the box" can be subjective based on your formation and who is determining if people are in the box.

Many, many thanks.

For me, no simplification can be "over."

But isn't even an RB "looking for a hole" a form of O player calling his own play? Isn't any decision to scramble?

O, absent a dominating flying wedge, needs to take what's there. O, to win, needs to move (from a standing start).

All D needs to do is keep them from moving (conservation of momentum).

25 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Forgive my continued ignorance.

No obstinance intended, but

Yes and no. I don't mean choose an option, I mean come up to the line, read the D, and literally audible a completely different play... instead of walk up to the line, and look over at the sideline for a potential play change.  By giving the QB the complete freedom to audible, we can massively speed things up, even when we change plays.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes and no. I don't mean choose an option, I mean literally come up to the line, read the D, and literally audible a completely different play... instead of walk up to the line, and look over at the sideline for a potential play change.  By giving the QB the complete freedom to audible, we can massively speed things up, even when we change plays.

Aaaah. I understand (he said simply).

You meant trust your damn' player.

Never mind.

4 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

But isn't even an RB "looking for a hole" a form of O player calling his own play? Isn't any decision to scramble?

In both of these cases, no.  The RB looking for a hole is actually running that called play... looking for the hole is just part of that play.  A decision to scramble is called improvising... in that case, the play has broken down and a quality QB is just trying to get everything he can out of it.

Just now, AUinTLoosa said:

Aaaah. I understand (he said simply).

You meant trust your damn' player.

Never mind.

Again, yes and no... it's more than trust... they have to be taught to do it, which I don't believe Gus has ever really done with any of his QBs... even Cam. I think both Jarrett and Sean are up for the task, however.  They seem to be the type of cerebral players who can learn to successfully make their own calls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Gus doesn't trust a lot of people

Can you imagine what Gus would look like if he coached the wishbone?  he would have had many a meltdowns as a control freak.  

12 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Again, yes and no... it's more than trust... they have to be taught to do it, which I don't believe Gus has ever really done with any of his QBs... even Cam. I think both Jarrett and Sean are up for the task, however.  They seem to be the type of cerebral players who can learn to successfully make their own calls.

I do not think Gus knows how to teach a QB such things.  For one, he never played the position.  Another point is that if you look at his offense, prior to this recent annoying tendency of hurrying to the line and waiting patiently while the sideline (Gus/Lashlee) play peek-a-boo with the defense, it is clear that the emphasis was on quickly signalling plays to then be executed quickly.  I would expect QB skills that Gus would want to focus on is ability to scan progressions quickly, and make quick decisions on what to do with the ball smartly.

Well maybe not from Arizona State, but I thought Chip might bring a coach or 2 from other teams. I remember WM hired Lance Thompson away from uat.

Edited by auburn4ever

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I do not think Gus knows how to teach a QB such things.  For one, he never played the position.  Another point is that if you look at his offense, prior to this recent annoying tendency of hurrying to the line and waiting patiently while the sideline (Gus/Lashlee) play peek-a-boo with the defense, it is clear that the emphasis was on quickly signalling plays to then be executed quickly.  I would expect QB skills that Gus would want to focus on is ability to scan progressions quickly, and make quick decisions on what to do with the ball smartly.

You may be right... though I think it should be the one thing he actually could teach, since it is in essence teaching them part of the job of an OC... reading the D, knowing the plays, and calling the right play to match the D given.

38 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You may be right... though I think it should be the one thing he actually could teach, since it is in essence teaching them part of the job of an OC... reading the D, knowing the plays, and calling the right play to match the D given.

Personally, I think a QB that can read a defense and call plays on the fly is probably better (especially with tempo).  However, all the evidence we have from QB's at Auburn under Gus indicates that he either does not want that taught or does not want it used.  I suspect Gus' theory is that he wants his QB thinking as little as possible, and just executing the called play.  It makes sense both ways, and I can understand the appeal of keeping things as simple as possible for the players on the field when you are asking them to execute at a blistering pace in a violent contact sport.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I think a QB that can read a defense and call plays on the fly is probably better (especially with tempo).  However, all the evidence we have from QB's at Auburn under Gus indicates that he either does not want that taught or does not want it used.  I suspect Gus' theory is that he wants his QB thinking as little as possible, and just executing the called play. 

I think you are right.  I just hope Lindsey has a different philosophy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you are right.  I just hope Lindsey has a different philosophy. 

I cannot really say either philosophy is right or wrong.  I can say that I do not think Gus' philosophy is effective when he is holding up the snap in order to confer with the OC about what they see in the defense before changing or confirming the called play.  I think his philosophy is effective when the coaches are thinking a few plays in advance, signalling plays quickly, and the offense is then hammering away with snaps as a fast as possible.  In that scenario, the coaches are not being hit by anyone, leaving them better equipped to concentrate on strategy and playcalling.  Given the way he ran his high school offenses (and wrote about in his book), the desired tempo causes that philosophy to make sense.  More importantly, he is just now on his 2nd collegiate QB that has played for more than one season, and that QB is probably about to be replaced by Stidham.  I can see why removing decision making from the revolving door that has been the QB position would appeal to a guy like him.

• Like 1

Concern: I am a little worried that Gus will feel some loyalty to White and not name a QB coming out of Spring.  That means less reps for the eventual starting QB.  I hope this is Lindsey's decision.  I don't think he named Cam starting QB until August.  Who couldn't see that or that White was the starter this year?

Want:  I want to see some tempo from the 1st snap and HUNH when we cross the 45-50!  We did that with great success a couple of times this year and a lot in 2013?  Changing that pace, within the drive, after a 3-8 plays really creates a HUGE advantage and a mismatch once in a while.  It's really a no-brainer and the D gets a break if we wait til the 50 to go HUNH.  

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Concern: I am a little worried that Gus will feel some loyalty to White and not name a QB coming out of Spring.  That means less reps for the eventual starting QB.  I hope this is Lindsey's decision.  

I think you bring up a very big concern.  If it truly is CL's offense and he's deciding who plays, I think we'll have a starter named shortly after A-Day.  If it's one of those, they're all competing hard, and everybody is making progress, then we'll know GM hasn't truly let go of the offense.  I expect to see a fairly firm depth chart coming out of spring practice if Lindsey is truly in control.

And don't give me the "why let your opponent know who your QB is?" crap.  You think Belichick gives a crap if people know Brady or Garoppolo is starting?  Or Saban cares if you know he's starting a true freshman?  Get your starter named.  Get him reps and chemistry with the other starters and worry about executing your offense as opposed to how the other team is going to react.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 0:00 PM, GordoAU said:

God yall whine too much. Also D. Craig was a great recruiter but our WRs actually have looked better with Burns coaching them IMO. Have seen much fewer dropped passes.

Kodi doesn't get that much credit at this point. Some but not a lot considering the guys who were making the tough catches where DC's recruits and freshmen and soph. while the vets were the ones dropping passes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Concern: I am a little worried that Gus will feel some loyalty to White and not name a QB coming out of Spring.  That means less reps for the eventual starting QB.  I hope this is Lindsey's decision.  I don't think he named Cam starting QB until August.  Who couldn't see that or that White was the starter this year?

Want:  I want to see some tempo from the 1st snap and HUNH when we cross the 45-50!  We did that with great success a couple of times this year and a lot in 2013?  Changing that pace, within the drive, after a 3-8 plays really creates a HUGE advantage and a mismatch once in a while.  It's really a no-brainer and the D gets a break if we wait til the 50 to go HUNH.  

I wouldn't worry to much about that........Gus had his own issues with SW

On 1/25/2017 at 11:37 PM, ClaytonAU said:

While I agree with most, I disagree with the notion of Lindsey being a "Gus guy". He worked for a Gus for a year as a analyst. When you hear "Coaching tree" or Gus' tree, names that come to mind are Herb Hand and Lashlee. Nobody prior to being hired by Gus this past week, looked at CCL as a "Gus guy".

Not saying Lindsey is a "Gus guy" or is in Gus' "coaching tree." Merely stating Gus already put enough faith in him to hire him once, so it's no shock he would do it again.

Gus never hired Hand at Tulsa. They were merely colleagues hired by Todd Graham, who ironically, also hired Lindsey, thus that small Gus fraternity is alive and well.

• Like 1