Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

4 hours ago, keesler said:

:bow:

The excuses and rationalizations are over for AU football & CGM.

Remember a lot of this talent is young and in some areas talented depth is still a concern. You are losing 3 seniors off the DLINE, that has to be replaced. As well as an elite pass rusher. No excuses for any thing less than 10 wins imo. The schedule is favorable, new opportunities in the passing game will be a plus, secondary should be elite imo. I am most concerned about who replaces Leff, Carl, Koran, and  Monty. If the lines can keep the level of play from 2016, then 2017 could be special

Its going to be a great season.   How about HUNH after the 40, then 4 downs after the 50?  Talk about pressure on an opponent: no subs, HUNH and 4 downs for 10 yards? "meet my little friend"imagejpeg

• Like 1

Regarding the HUNH, I wish we would get back to it. I used to really like the flexibility CGM could get out a basic 21 personnel grouping. I loved the idea of hybrid players like the flexed TE and the slot WR who doubled as a speed back. He really had an any down package that could flex between a two H-Back power set to a three WR set at will. We had an almost perfect set of players for it in 2013. But I guess we have lost some of the hybrid players.

I am hoping we will see a much more sophisticated passing game, complemented by option and power running, and combined into package plays which allow us to react pre-snap to the defensive alignment. The potential for a pre-snap read and a post-snap read in the same play has the potential to provide a numbers advantage for the offense.

I saw a write-up on the "Whirlybird" play, and how we had a numerical advantage to the strong side over Clemson every time we ran it, but we only ran the power sweep out of that formation once. If there had been a pre-snap read in that formation, which simply counted the defenders to the strong side, the entire game might have been different. And plays like that don't require goofy formations like the single-wing. You can do it out of Wildcat or even a standard formation.

We need to get back to a dynamic offense.

On 1/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, lionheartkc said:

From what I've read about him, his philosophy is a combination between Gus's system and an Air Raid... which is ironically exactly what I was hoping we'd have. It was apparently very successful at Southern Miss.

Good point, and it gives me hope. Troy was an Air Raid offense when CCL was there.

I wanted a crazy Big-12 Air Raid OC in hopes of creating a hybrid offense combining elements of the Air Raid, CGM's Power Spread, and Rich Rodriguez Read Option (via Herb Hand). But if CCL has already figured that out, even better.

33 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Good point, and it gives me hope. Troy was an Air Raid offense when CCL was there.

I wanted a crazy Big-12 Air Raid OC in hopes of creating a hybrid offense combining elements of the Air Raid, CGM's Power Spread, and Rich Rodriguez Read Option (via Herb Hand). But if CCL has already figured that out, even better.

According to the timeline I found, he took the Air Raid from Troy, took Gus's system from when he was here for a year (considering that was 2013, I would have to think it would include some read option), and combined the two at Southern Miss. I have a feeling if we look at film from his second year at Southern Miss, we'll see something very similar to what our O will look like next year... you know, if you can imagine it being run by far better talent.

Chip Lindsey eager to reunite with 'bright young coach' Kodi Burns at Auburn

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

The last time Chip Lindsey and Kodi Burns were on the same coaching staff, the two never actually got to coach a game together.

Lindsey is looking forward to changing that this time around after being named Auburn's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, joining an offensive staff on the Plains that includes Burns as wide receivers coach and co-offensive coordinator.

This time last year, Lindsey and Burns were working hand in hand trying to shore up Arizona State's recruiting class ahead of the 2016 season after joining Todd Graham's staff following the 2015 season. Less than two months after accepting the position of running backs coach at Arizona State, however, Burns left to return to his alma mater for the position he has held the last 11 months on Gus Malzahn's staff.

Lindsey, meanwhile, remained at Arizona State where he served as offensive coordinator last season. Fast forward a year, and Lindsey and Burns are reunited once again.

"Yeah, he left my pretty quick, didn't he?" Lindsey said. "I'm excited."

How Chip Lindsey's college offenses compared statistically to Auburn

Outside of their brief stint together in Tempe, Lindsey -- who was hired as Rhett Lashlee's replacement on Saturday -- and Burns previously worked together at Auburn in 2013 on Malzahn's inaugural staff. Burns was an offensive graduate assistant while Lindsey spent the year as an offensive analyst for Auburn, which won the SEC title and came within 13 seconds of winning the BCS National Championship Game.

This time around, both Lindsey and Burns have considerably bigger roles on the staff and will have to work closely together if Auburn's offense hopes to take steps forward in 2017. Burns will be tasked with further developing a young but talented corps of receivers, while Lindsey -- along with overseeing the offense as a whole -- will be in charge of developing the Tigers' quarterbacks, including returning starter Sean White, junior college transfer Jarrett Stidham, John Franklin III and redshirt freshman Woody Barrett.

"Kodi was here in 1'3 with me and he's a bright young coach," Lindsey said. "Just looking forward, really, to working with that whole staff. I've worked with all those guys and they're just a great group of guys, great group of young men. Some older than others, I guess.

"Those guys are men of character, guys you want to be around and you want your kids to play for and I'm looking forward to being around them."

On 1/21/2017 at 4:22 PM, ClaytonAU said:

I thought the point was that he keeps putting himself with people he's worked with before? If Gus couldn't get the guy he wanted, how is it Gus' fault? I'll hang up and listen. 

His 1st choice was obviously another "Muschamp"...a proven guy outside the Gus tree.

Otherwise, he would have hired Lindsey almost immediately after Lashlee left. No?

Obviously, Gus hired his fall-back guy.

I'm not saying Gus didn't aim high. That's what some of you are mistaken on.

All coaches aim high. Gus doesn't have the clout anymore to get his 1st choice.

Thus, he HAS to rely on fall-back guys.

THAT'S the point.

Feel free to call back.

Edited by VipersStrike1

18 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

His 1st choice was obviously another "Muschamp"...a proven guy outside the Gus tree.

Otherwise, he would have hired Lindsey almost immediately after Lashlee left. No?

THAT'S the point.

Feel free to call back.

Gus wouldn't have got his 1st choice even if he had clout.

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

Gus wouldn't have got his 1st choice even if he had clout.

So you're telling me, for example, if Saban wanted Art Briles as his OC, his PTB wouldn't have allowed it?

If your TRUE unbiased answer is no they wouldn't have allowed it, then you need to learn what "clout" means.

Edited by VipersStrike1

4 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

THAT'S the point.

Feel free to call back.

Did you just get back from vacation? 

44 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

From work.

I suppose you concur with my last post.

While I agree with most, I disagree with the notion of Lindsey being a "Gus guy". He worked for a Gus for a year as a analyst. When you hear "Coaching tree" or Gus' tree, names that come to mind are Herb Hand and Lashlee. Nobody prior to being hired by Gus this past week, looked at CCL as a "Gus guy".

Like most coaches who go to another team, they want to bring a few coaches with them. I'm surprised Chip isn't bringing any with him from Arizona State.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

While I agree with most, I disagree with the notion of Lindsey being a "Gus guy". He worked for a Gus for a year as a analyst. When you hear "Coaching tree" or Gus' tree, names that come to mind are Herb Hand and Lashlee. Nobody prior to being hired by Gus this past week, looked at CCL as a "Gus guy".

I agree Clayton...I guess using some people's logic, Muschamp is now from Gus's coaching tree...

On 1/24/2017 at 1:31 PM, lionheartkc said:

According to the timeline I found, he took the Air Raid from Troy, took Gus's system from when he was here for a year (considering that was 2013, I would have to think it would include some read option), and combined the two at Southern Miss. I have a feeling if we look at film from his second year at Southern Miss, we'll see something very similar to what our O will look like next year... you know, if you can imagine it being run by far better talent.

I hope he will adjust his offense to what the defense is giving or take advantage of a defensive weakness.  Besides our basic passing game, the lack of taking advantage of other teams defense by adjusting was our biggest weakness.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I hope he will adjust his offense to what the defense is giving or take advantage of a defensive weakness.  Besides our basic passing game, the lack of taking advantage of other teams defense by adjusting was our biggest weakness.

I hope he teaches his QBs to call their own plays.  That is a tent pole of the Air Raid, but we'll just have to see if he carried it into his hybrid offense.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hope he teaches his QBs to call their own plays.  That is a tent pole of the Air Raid, but we'll just have to see if he carried it into his hybrid offense.

Agree.  I swear that JJ tipped every pass play after he got the call in by looking over at the coverage where the first read was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Like most coaches who go to another team, they want to bring a few coaches with them. I'm surprised Chip isn't bringing any with him from Arizona State.

Not sure there are many coaches on ASU staff I'd trade with. Our O staff is strong with the exception of Kodi, and I think that's just inexperience.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He sent Kodi ahead of him

Hey BB, I am not sure what you are referencing to about this. Give me some clarity with this. I usually understand you very well, but am having a case of Cerebral flatulence with this! I forgot to ask you something....How old is CCL? My guess he is in his mid 40s or thereabout.

Edited by doc4aday
another case of cerebral flatulence!

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Hey BB, I am not sure what you are referencing to about this. Give me some clarity with this. I usually understand you very well, but am having a case of Cerebral flatulence with this! 

It was a joke about Kodi coming here a year before Chip