Did you know? (Chip Lindsey's offense)

abw0004

Thanks for posting the stats, however, I'm tired of AU hiring "up-and-comers".  CL is an up-and-comer.  Helfrich would have been my first choice if he were open to being an OC again and his salary be in range.  At the very least we should have gone after Ensminger.  Why didn't we do so ?  E's salary, even with his bonus for promotion to OC, was only $375K.  He would have been the steal, twice in fact (KS), from LSU.  Que sera.

So far as Malzahn being given an extension, it should be delayed.  Or am I wrong ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Thanks for posting the stats, however, I'm tired of AU hiring "up-and-comers".  CL is an up-and-comer.  Helfrich would have been my first choice if he were open to being an OC again and his salary be in range.  At the very least we should have gone after Ensminger.  Why didn't we do so ?  E's salary, even with his bonus for promotion to OC, was only $375K.  He would have been the steal, twice in fact (KS), from LSU.  Que sera.

So far as Malzahn being given an extension, it should be delayed.  Or am I wrong ?

Seriously?

30 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Ensminger?!  WTF.

9 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

CCL will need spring to prepare for Brent Venerables defense at Clemson (even though Georgia Southern is up first) and that game will reveal just how good he can call a game. Venerables is a good D coordinator and we will know a lot about CCL after that game.

well we thought Gus spent all year preparing for Clemson last year, but turned out we were lucky he found Jordan Hare stadium.

So yeah it would be wise to start now.

The famous half of the Nallsminger offense under Tuberville. Just No, please no.

Kind of wishing I had not seen this....in almost every statistical category his offenses have fared worse than Auburns of the same year about 70 percent of the time.  The one year he beat Auburn in most categories is one of the worst total seasons of offense Auburn has likely had in the last 30 years.  And just when I had almost decided it was gonna be a really good hire.  Still may be a really good hire if the two styles blend well, but this actually muddies the water a little in my opinion. I'm back closer to 50/50 after reading this. Had thought it was better. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I think it gave him some fodder to get some people to back off a bit, but no... I don't think anyone in the AD would consider backing into the Sugar Bowl to be extension worthy... NOW... had we won the Sugar Bowl I would bet Gus's agent would have been on the phone.

There's really one purpose for a contract extension... to keep the coach from leaving. Since the beginning of 2015, no one has been knocking on Gus's door. We'll see what happens with our full stable on offense, next year.

You mentioned earlier that the extension he got in 2015 was for 2014 for performance, however, he went 8-5 that year too with a bowl loss.  The uptake for the next season (2015) was very bright as we had a Heisman candidate QB and a lot of talent coming back.  Auburn was counting on a great season, so I'm sure JJ felt secure in the extension.

Fast foreword to this year and we are coming off of an 8-5 season with a bowl loss.  We have a dynamic QB that has not played a down in the SEC (I'm very optimistic this season will work out) and a lot of talent coming back.  The parallels are striking.  This is why I believe the BOT and JJ are taking a wait and see attitude about Gus and no talk of a contract extension.

As to the bolded part; That would be one of the reasons for a contract extension, but I remember talk of getting an extension to help secure some recruits at the time. I have no idea if that is true or not, seems a gamble of $4+ million to get recruits.  The bottom line is; Gus in on our payroll until 2020 and that is all he is guaranteed.  It's put up or shut up time.

31 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Kind of wishing I had not seen this....in almost every statistical category his offenses have fared worse than Auburns of the same year about 70 percent of the time.  The one year he beat Auburn in most categories is one of the worst total seasons of offense Auburn has likely had in the last 30 years.  And just when I had almost decided it was gonna be a really good hire.  Still may be a really good hire if the two styles blend well, but this actually muddies the water a little in my opinion. I'm back closer to 50/50 after reading this. Had thought it was better. 

We were kicking arse offensively in 14 while Chip coached a team that went 1-11 in 2013 and 0-12 in 2012. Also someone called into question whether he actually called plays in 14 which is hard to fathom so idk. Cant wait for A-day to see what we're working with and unlike many others on this board i believe A-day can be revealing. 

Chip Lindsey's offense drastically improved in year 2. With all of the offensive pieces we have in place, let's hope it doesn't take 2 years to get this thing going. 

24 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Chip Lindsey's offense drastically improved in year 2. With all of the offensive pieces we have in place, let's hope it doesn't take 2 years to get this thing going. 

In year 2 where? He hasn't actually called plays at any college for more than 1 year.

4 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

In year 2 where? He hasn't actually called plays at any college for more than 1 year.

Just read where Monken called plays during Chip's 1st year. If true then that's certainly encouraging. I hope Gus allows him to have full control of this offense to blend his passing game with our patented running game.

2 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Seriously?

Ikr...wasn't he here during Tubbs years when we three yards and a cloud of dust offense against USC in 2003...i was young but that offense was a nightmare.

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

Just read where Monken called plays during Chip's 1st year. If true then that's certainly encouraging. I hope Gus allows him to have full control of this offense to blend his passing game with our patented running game.

I think his upgrade of the base playbook is gonna be lights out, only worry is it takes a couple games to get kinks out.

well Gus would script the first series or two then it was whatever he would spin on the playcard. If we had a playbook it was just a half page.

19 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Ikr...wasn't he here during Tubbs years when we three yards and a cloud of dust offense against USC in 2003...i was young but that offense was a nightmare.

Have you ever heard of the infamous Nallsminger offense that caused a jet trip in the darkness of the night? AKA Jetgate...Sminger was Steve Ensminger...he called the plays. It was a TRAIN WRECK!

5 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Helfrich hasn't called plays in almost a decade, and Ensminger may be one of the worst OC's of all time.  Great guy, but not a developer or play caller whatsoever unless you liked our 2003 and last half of 2008's offense.

I really hope you were joking..

Two of the biggest things for me are:

1. more offensive balance in play calling. I would like to see a 55 run/45 pass balance, or even a 60/40.  Running a handful of running plays 70-75% of the time is ridiculous. 

2. More creativity on 1st down. Running the same play on first down every time is way too predictable. That has to stop!

If CCL can accomplish these two things and utilize the talent he has been given, we should have a record breaking offense in 2017. 

The thought of JS throwing to our group of WRs to go along with our stable of RBs behind what should be a very solid OL makes me excited for next season. 

Interesting quote from Chip about getting to know "all four" QBs. Assuming he's not including Malik Willis before signing day, let's see - Jarrett, Sean, Woody and JF3? Mr. Queen on the outs? Or including Queen and JF3 switching positions? 

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/chip_lindseys_first_impression.html

I'm not going to put much stock in CCL's "stats" from his previous jobs.  He hasn't had the talent, facilities, or support at any previous place like he's about to encounter at Auburn.

The man has to be licking his chops to see the talent he's got at his disposal. 

I agree. It is all about watching his film, and looking for schemes, creativity in offensive plays and play callling, and executing an offense that puts pressure on the D, and does well in the red zone. 

We will see in the fall. Trust me...do you think the play book will be used in the spring? heck no...so I dont expect to get much info from a CL offense. The best is to watch routes and a sample size of the plays called.

14 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Seriously?  Credibility... gone.  Ensminger would have been a downgrade. Did you miss how, as soon as the season was over, LSU hired Matt Canada to "fix their offense"?  Heck, Ensminger didn't even want to be the interim OC...

35 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm not going to put much stock in CCL's "stats" from his previous jobs.  He hasn't had the talent, facilities, or support at any previous place like he's about to encounter at Auburn.

The man has to be licking his chops to see the talent he's got at his disposal. 

The one things these stats show, of value, is the huge strides he made between 2014 and 2015. That's some empirical proof that he knows what he is doing... and it works.

46 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting quote from Chip about getting to know "all four" QBs. Assuming he's not including Malik Willis before signing day, let's see - Jarrett, Sean, Woody and JF3? Mr. Queen on the outs? Or including Queen and JF3 switching positions? 

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/chip_lindseys_first_impression.html

Willis is already on campus... I'm guessing he's not including Queen and Franklin.

14 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

You mentioned earlier that the extension he got in 2015 was for 2014 for performance, however, he went 8-5 that year too with a bowl loss.  The uptake for the next season (2015) was very bright as we had a Heisman candidate QB and a lot of talent coming back.  Auburn was counting on a great season, so I'm sure JJ felt secure in the extension.

Fast foreword to this year and we are coming off of an 8-5 season with a bowl loss.  We have a dynamic QB that has not played a down in the SEC (I'm very optimistic this season will work out) and a lot of talent coming back.  The parallels are striking.  This is why I believe the BOT and JJ are taking a wait and see attitude about Gus and no talk of a contract extension.

As to the bolded part; That would be one of the reasons for a contract extension, but I remember talk of getting an extension to help secure some recruits at the time. I have no idea if that is true or not, seems a gamble of $4+ million to get recruits.  The bottom line is; Gus in on our payroll until 2020 and that is all he is guaranteed.  It's put up or shut up time.

In 2014, even with the fall of at the end of the season, Gus was still a hot commodity and we were going into 2015 ranked pretty high. This year, 8-5 with the Sugar Bowl has been received with a collective "meh" by the football masses, and no other schools are gunning for Gus as their head coach.

I wouldn't doubt that the timing of when Gus's extension in 2015 was announced had something to do with recruiting.  Jacobs was holding it as a celebratory thing, since we were supposed to be amazing that season, and when that didn't pan out, it was a nice way of showing support for Gus when our rivals were continually pushing the "hot seat" idea at our recruits.

Archived