Fountain will not be on the field next year

LKEEL75

I have no idea if Chip Lindsey will be a good recruiter, but we need a good recruiter on the offensive side. I know that special teams is extremely important, but the coach they hire needs to be a "recruiting" home run more than a coaching home run in my opinion. Basically we need someone like DC (who will not work for Gus) back on campus. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

The F-Type is a legitimately good car, and the exhaust is great for letting Prius owners hear you hurt the environment (credit Clarkson).

Love it!  Dropping Clarkson from Top Gear may have been the stupidest move in the history of the BBC.

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Even the full electric option is slow, but at least there is the included excuse of it being powered by nothing but batteries.

That is an excuse I don't buy.  Musk has proven that you can tune an electric car to the point that he had to software limit it to 155 mph. I've not seen it, but word is that, if you took the limiter off, a p85d could top 200 mph in Ludicrous mode.

Alas... all I'll ever be able to do is look at any of these cars.  Even if I owned one, I'd be too paranoid to drive it anywhere but a track for fear that one of the flaming idiots on the road would do something stupid and cause me to wreck it. 

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I have no idea if Chip Lindsey will be a good recruiter, but we need a good recruiter on the offensive side. I know that special teams is extremely important, but the coach they hire needs to be a "recruiting" home run more than a coaching home run in my opinion. Basically we need someone like DC (who will not work for Gus) back on campus. 

Don't disagree... SEC football is really becoming an arms race.

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nope, I'll let you guys chat it up. I know nothing. I love a cool car, but I don't know much about what's going on under the hood, at least not relative to you guys. 

I was actually in Florence, IT when the Mille Miglia rolled right by the flat we were staying in. Didn't even realize what it was at the time or that it was going to be happening. You would not believe the cars I saw. The highlight for me was probably a group of SLR Stirling Mosses. As in, yes, multiple. The whole time, I was thinking, "It shouldn't be me standing here. It should be a LOT of other dudes I know." But it was still awesome. 

48 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

That is my thing with it.  In trying to be sport-hybrid, it ends up not being very good at either, and apocalyptically bad at sport.  It handles decent, but that is because BMW does not know how to build a car that does not handle well.  If they could have accomplished everything at a 1000 pounds lighter, it would be a VERY different car.  That would have made it brilliant in the way a Lotus Elise is brilliant.

Like you, I say go full electric or full petrol.  If you want to go sport-hybrid, accept that it is prohibitively expensive and look at how McLaren, Porsche, and Ferrari did it with their superb offerings.  Even the full electric option is slow, but at least there is the included excuse of it being powered by nothing but batteries.  Looking like it does, BMW should have made it a proper sports car, which they certainly know how to do.  As it is, it is powered by nothing but disappointment and poor decisions.

As for Jaguar, their quality started improving under Ford's ownership, but I think they have benefited most from the partnership with Land Rover.  The F-Type is a legitimately good car, and the exhaust is great for letting Prius owners hear you hurt the environment (credit Clarkson).

Off season.

I'm in the son-of-Loofus camp concerning ignorance. I'm glad to hear from our poison guy that Lotus still exists (did stand in the presence of a few Europas once; they stood about as tall as my...)

Funnest car I ever owned was a Sunbeam Alpine. Attracted girls, but provided no place to do anything (and difficult to keep tuned).

Biggest engine was a '67 Galaxy 500 (inherited in '82 from my great-aunt, w./ 27,000 miles after a life in the garage), but my wife-to-be couldn't leave a stop sign without pouring her coffee in her lap.

Currently a Ford SCrew owner (>200K miles) for leg room and the I-don't-care-it's-a-truck aspect.

Sorry if an intrusion.

56 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Love it!  Dropping Clarkson from Top Gear may have been the stupidest move in the history of the BBC.

That is an excuse I don't buy.  Musk has proven that you can tune an electric car to the point that he had to software limit it to 155 mph. I've not seen it, but word is that, if you took the limiter off, a p85d could top 200 mph in Ludicrous mode.

Alas... all I'll ever be able to do is look at any of these cars.  Even if I owned one, I'd be too paranoid to drive it anywhere but a track for fear that one of the flaming idiots on the road would do something stupid and cause me to wreck it. 

Drive Defensively

2 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Drive Defensively

Oh, I do.  I've been in a total of 2 wrecks when I was behind the wheel.  Both times I was rear ended by someone while I slowed/stopped and turning, with my turn signal on. I've lost count, however, of near misses from people swerving into me and other such shenanigans. Two weeks ago a freakin' city bus merged into my lane while I was still in it.  Fortunately no one was behind me when I had to slam my breaks to avoid it.  So not taking a $100k + car out in that.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Oh, I do.  I've been in a total of 2 wrecks when I was behind the wheel.  Both times I was rear ended by someone while I slowed/stopped and turning, with my turn signal on. I've lost count, however, of near misses from people swerving into me and other such shenanigans. Two weeks ago a freakin' city bus merged into my lane while I was still in it.  Fortunately no one was behind me when I had to slam my breaks to avoid it.  So not taking a $100k + car out in that.

I do beep my horn,

for what good it does.

For the rear-enders, all I can think of is an extended trailer hitch (hurts them worse, but makes it harder for you to parallel park).

I do beep my horn,

for what good it does.

For the rear-enders, all I can think of is an extended trailer hitch (hurts them worse, but makes it harder for you to parallel park).

I do too... annoys my wife, but it makes me feel better,

As for the rear-enders, the second one was in my Celica Convertible.  Those little buggers are tanks. From a distance, you couldn't even tell I had been hit, but the car that hit me was totaled bad enough that I couldn't even tell what make and model it was.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

If sacking Clarkson is a candidate for stupidest move in BBC history, then a photo-finish 2nd goes to thinking Chris Evans and Matt Leblanc were solid replacements for Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

The Tesla (and all electric-only attempts at performance) has a problem that prevents it from being something I would consider, especially as a sports car:  weight.  No matter how fast it accelerates, you are still trying to sling 4900+ pounds around a turn.  You can make it fast in a straight line, but its petrol competitors still generally start with at least a 1500 pound weight advantage.  Computer wizardry can help (usually with independent motors driving each wheel), but it cannot overcome physics.  Unless we make some kind of breakthrough in lightweight energy storage, electric and hybrid performance will remain a burdensome novelty.

The problem all real sports car have when driving around is that America has a complete moratorium on roadway fun, and none of those cars like being driven slowly.  I have no idea what you currently drive, but I can give you two good suggestions if you want something that is cheap and insane fun without having to explore the limits of your testicular fortitude and mortality or risk license suspension and jail to enjoy it.  The Toyota 86 is extremely well-balanced, and a blast for spirited drives.  More importantly, you can live with it on a daily basis.  The Ford Fiesta ST is another.  I like hot hatches, and I like seeing them show up here.  It manages to be a FWD that just begs you to engage in lift oversteer.  You can have fun with it while simply turning into your driveway.  I wish we could get the 2-door version of it here, but Europeans still get to have all the fun.

37 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Off season.

I'm in the son-of-Loofus camp concerning ignorance. I'm glad to hear from our poison guy that Lotus still exists (did stand in the presence of a few Europas once; they stood about as tall as my...)

Funnest car I ever owned was a Sunbeam Alpine. Attracted girls, but provided no place to do anything (and difficult to keep tuned).

Biggest engine was a '67 Galaxy 500 (inherited in '82 from my great-aunt, w./ 27,000 miles after a life in the garage), but my wife-to-be couldn't leave a stop sign without pouring her coffee in her lap.

Currently a Ford SCrew owner (>200K miles) for leg room and the I-don't-care-it's-a-truck aspect.

Sorry if an intrusion.

Offseason, no real news, and recruiting is done; no such thing as an intrusion.

Lotus is absolutely still a thing.  The Lotus Elise will probably remain one of Earth's most fun cars to drive until Lotus gets around to foolishly cancelling it.

The funnest car I have ever owned was my Infiniti G35.  After replacing it with 350Z suspension and some engine work, that thing was just a blast to do anything in.  My current car (Pontiac G8 GT with a turbo) is on a different planet with regard to power and acceleration, but it just does not provide the grin factor.

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If sacking Clarkson is a candidate for stupidest move in BBC history, then a photo-finish 2nd goes to thinking Chris Evans and Matt Leblanc were solid replacements for Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

The Tesla (and all electric-only attempts at performance) has a problem that prevents it from being something I would consider, especially as a sports car:  weight.  No matter how fast it accelerates, you are still trying to sling 4900+ pounds around a turn.  You can make it fast in a straight line, but its petrol competitors still generally start with at least a 1500 pound weight advantage.  Computer wizardry can help (usually with independent motors driving each wheel), but it cannot overcome physics.  Unless we make some kind of breakthrough in lightweight energy storage, electric and hybrid performance will remain a burdensome novelty.

The problem all real sports car have when driving around is that America has a complete moratorium on roadway fun, and none of those cars like being driven slowly.  I have no idea what you currently drive, but I can give you two good suggestions if you want something that is cheap and insane fun without having to explore the limits of your testicular fortitude and mortality or risk license suspension and jail to enjoy it.  The Toyota 86 is extremely well-balanced, and a blast for spirited drives.  More importantly, you can live with it on a daily basis.  The Ford Fiesta ST is another.  I like hot hatches, and I like seeing them show up here.  It manages to be a FWD that just begs you to engage in lift oversteer.  You can have fun with it while simply turning into your driveway.  I wish we could get the 2-door version of it here, but Europeans still get to have all the fun.

Damn! Battery weight/maneuverability! Never thought about that aspect! That's (obviously, once you think about it) real!

Who says internet distracts from real education?

ETA added highlights

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Offseason, no real news, and recruiting is done; no such thing as an intrusion.

Lotus is absolutely still a thing.  The Lotus Elise will probably remain one of Earth's most fun cars to drive until Lotus gets around to foolishly cancelling it.

The funnest car I have ever owned was my Infiniti G35.  After replacing it with 350Z suspension and some engine work, that thing was just a blast to do anything in.  My current car (Pontiac G8 GT with a turbo) is on a different planet with regard to power and acceleration, but it just does not provide the grin factor.

You, sir, are obviously

over my head in terms of car work.

I was fairly competent at keeping an old straight-six block, with an actual carb and points and (most importantly here) actual room to get in under the hood, sort'a runnin'. I actually got by with paper clips and rubber bands. Since, not so much

Damn! Battery weight/maneuverability! Never thought about that aspect! That's (obviously, once you think about it) real!

Who says internet distracts from real education?

Having most of the weight in a low center of gravity helps, but it is still weight where the limiting factor of all cars is still the same:  the tires that actually contact the pavement.  If drag racing is your thing, you can bruise the egos of a lot of guys driving really loud cars with a really quiet Tesla.  When the race involves something other than straight lines and high-speed corners, the picture gets bleak for Tesla when thrown up against most of its $100k+ counterparts.  There is a reason Tesla does not have a bunch of videos showing sub-8 minute Nürburgring laps.  Of course, there is still doubt if one can actually make the full circuit when truly pushed.

You, sir, are obviously

over my head in terms of car work.

I was fairly competent at keeping an old straight-six block, with an actual carb and points and (most importantly here) actual room to get in under the hood, sort'a runnin'. I actually got by with paper clips and rubber bands. Since, not so much

I just pay attention among a group of far more able wrenches than myself.  Having friends that truly enjoy the work and access to a lift goes a long way.  The beauty of technology is that when it comes to tuning, you can email someone a few datalogs, and they can email you a tune to flash to the car.  That said, the two fastest cars in the local group are modified inline-6's.  One is a BMW 135i converted to large single turbo, and the other is a 2JZ (Toyota Supra engine) in a C3 Corvette.  The 2JZ is over 1000hp.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Having most of the weight in a low center of gravity helps, but it is still weight where the limiting factor of all cars is still the same:  the tires that actually contact the pavement.  If drag racing is your thing, you can bruise the egos of a lot of guys driving really loud cars with a really quiet Tesla.  When the race involves something other than straight lines and high-speed corners, the picture gets bleak for Tesla when thrown up against most of its $100k+ counterparts.  There is a reason Tesla does not have a bunch of videos showing sub-8 minute Nürburgring laps.  Of course, there is still doubt if one can actually make the full circuit when truly pushed.

Yessir! and again, Thanks!

Mass is just that, mass. and angular momentum is real.

Tires (and, secondarily?, tip-over) certainly matter. 

Downright embarrassed I hadn't thought about it before.

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Am I missing it, or is there a reason we don't have a "Candidates for ST/TE Coach" thread started?

Because 1 site has the names behind a pay wall & another site said they aren't going to spitball names. Also we may not fill the position immediately. We may take another defensive coach now & then a ST coach after the 10th coach vote in April.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Yessir! and again, Thanks!

Mass is just that, mass. and angular momentum is real.

Tires (and, secondarily?, tip-over) certainly matter. 

Downright embarrassed I hadn't thought about it before.

Why do you think F1 cars would completely embarrass NASCAR (driven by anyone) at similar power levels?  F1 cars weigh literally as little as possible, have brakes that cost more than our homes, have wider and better tires, and are specifically engineered to generate absolutely nothing but downforce.

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It's been years, so I can't find it (especially with his name all over Google for the current stuff), but I distinctly remember reading an interview with him where he talked about not liking being on the road, away from his family, and that being part of why he preferred coaching in the NFL.

It's not like people are disparaging the man... it's been a consistent talking point about Rocker that recruiting is not his favorite thing to do. It had nothing to do with sour grapes of him leaving.

That just so happened to come up when he left. I mean I don't like walking in the cold but I love what I do so maybe it's not his favorite thing, it's probably not the favorite thing of any coach but to act like it puts him behind any other coach in recruiting is crazy when garner is known as a guru recruiter and rock has done just as well as him on both sides.....

But nevermind me, he doesn't like to recruit per insiders so just like every other move we don't really need him. Just like cdc and whoever else leave. Because a school is a school so theoretically we don't need anybody... Until we start losing....

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That just so happened to come up when he left. I mean I don't like walking in the cold but I love what I do so maybe it's not his favorite thing, it's probably not the favorite thing of any coach but to act like it puts him behind any other coach in recruiting is crazy when garner is known as a guru recruiter and rock has done just as well as him on both sides.....

But nevermind me, he doesn't like to recruit per insiders so just like every other move we don't really need him. Just like cdc and whoever else leave. Because a school is a school so theoretically we don't need anybody... Until we start losing....

Not sure I understand the "really don't need him" statement.... how many members have said that?  I mean with over 20,000 members we will have a few maybe say that but its not anywhere near the majority. It is what it is.

Tracy wants back into the NFL but at the moment he's not getting any calls. I expect something to work out for him soon even if the NFL doesn't call him

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Because 1 site has the names behind a pay wall & another site said they aren't going to spitball names. Also we may not fill the position immediately. We may take another defensive coach now & then a ST coach after the 10th coach vote in April.

247 now has a leading candidate and Marcello has gone on the record as to who it is. Again behind a pay wall but if we would land this guy as our TE coach WOW amazing hire. Guy is a stud recruiter which is what we def need. 

3 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Sounds like a good RB coach to me??

sounds like a good special teams coordinator.

7 hours ago, Strychnine said:

The problem all real sports car have when driving around is that America has a complete moratorium on roadway fun, and none of those cars like being driven slowly.  I have no idea what you currently drive, but I can give you two good suggestions if you want something that is cheap and insane fun without having to explore the limits of your testicular fortitude and mortality or risk license suspension and jail to enjoy it.  The Toyota 86 is extremely well-balanced, and a blast for spirited drives.  More importantly, you can live with it on a daily basis.  The Ford Fiesta ST is another.  I like hot hatc  hes, and I like seeing them show up here.  It manages to be a FWD that just begs you to engage in lift oversteer.  You can have fun with it while simply turning into your driveway.  I wish we could get the 2-door version of it here, but Europeans still get to have all the fun.

Totally agree on LeBlanc and Evans. What were they thinking?

I would love a Toyota 86, but I'm a total roadster guy so I'm pissed that they teased with a drop top prototype and then never produced it. If they ever do, it will be mine. For now I'm leaning towards an MX-5 as my next fun car... unless I get a nice raise and can spring for a Porsche.

Archived