Fountain will not be on the field next year

LKEEL75

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

That thing is right about 50% of the time, it shows Wesley McGriff as Lead on some guys, even guys in 18 class and last I check he don't work here anymore.  Twitter posts by coach's and recruits tell the most. Guy from rivals said he was reason Thompson, Rochester, and several others signed. He also Landed the Oline kid that we wanted bad this class. He can recruit, that list of guys is not worse than our list on signees last 3 years is it? 

There are definitely a solid list of players who will be suiting up under him as a position coach, no doubt about that.  And don't get me wrong, I like Rocker and would have no qualms about having him back at Auburn. I'm just trying to qualify the fact that everything I've read, save SDS, says he doesn't like recruiting and is not particularly good at it.  I can see him being a benefit to recruiting because players want to be coached by him and they like his style, and I can see that being why guys sign in the end, but I have gotten the impression over the years that he isn't a road warrior, so when it comes to landing the big fish who wants more than just great coaching, he's not the guy you want to turn to as a closer..

I think if Auburn were to bring Rocker back in Fountain's place, then we need to seriously consider replacing another coach (Kodi) with someone who can really close.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

There are definitely a solid list of players who will be suiting up under him as a position coach, no doubt about that.  And don't get me wrong, I like Rocker and would have no qualms about having him back at Auburn. I'm just trying to qualify the fact that everything I've read, save SDS, says he doesn't like recruiting and is not particularly good at it.  I can see him being a benefit to recruiting because players want to be coached by him and they like his style, and I can see that being why guys sign in the end, but I have gotten the impression over the years that he isn't a road warrior, so when it comes to landing the big fish who wants more than just great coaching, he's not the guy you want to turn to as a closer..

I think if Auburn were to bring Rocker back in Fountain's place, then we need to seriously consider replacing another coach (Kodi) with someone who can really close.

Everything I've ever heard about Rocker backs you up. I get the feeling that he's simply not interested in asking for a high school kid's or his family's approval. 

Alan Evans literally made saban and Malzahn dance for his son's services. Recruiting isn't necessarily about dignity. 

10 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Did we merge the Fountain thread with the Rocker thread? And then did we combine it with a "which weather would you rather sweat in" thread?

Awww shoot

You caught the tater.

You did misunderstand the drift into sweating; it was incidental to the theme of huffing and puffing.

But all that was left to do was to merge in some discussion of Coach Hand as well. Then we would have had all needed components to a classic beer-charging technology, which seemed an eminently useful off-season project.

Now you’ve spoiled the surprise.

VAaZunD.png

My conspiracy theories on CTR. Kirby fired he because they got into a heated debate about doing things the "Bammer way" and CTR walked away because Auburn men have integrity. So to save face, Kirby said CTR was relieved of his duties. Just my .02 

3 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

My conspiracy theories on CTR. Kirby fired he because they got into a heated debate about doing things the "Bammer way" and CTR walked away because Auburn men have integrity. So to save face, Kirby said CTR was relieved of his duties. Just my .02 

From what we know if CTR, it's not entirely crazy to think that might be part of it. But if that's the case, then CTR might where the bodies are buried, so Kirby would need to be careful. There's a lot of chatter about other issues, too, and the knock on him as a recruiter is probably legit. They even alluded to the rumor about him getting sideways with a recruit's mom on Atlanta radio. 

If you REALLY follow recruiting closely and read what recruits say they usually LOVE rocker. He definitely can recruit. He may not be a guy that you can cross recruit positions like Craig was but as far as getting d linemen you can easily see once he got there.....also I know for a fact from at least two recruits that I literally was able to view the process with my own eyes that what a site says the main recruiter is doesn't always match up.

But if you think about it, that's common sense. If you're a head coach and a recruit really connects with one of the other coaches at a camp or something what are you going to do? You're going to let that coach get in there and get the kid signed and you're not going to call the recruiting sites and say there has been a change of plan.....

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

If you REALLY follow recruiting closely and read what recruits say they usually LOVE rocker. He definitely can recruit. He may not be a guy that you can cross recruit positions like Craig was but as far as getting d linemen you can easily see once he got there.....also I know for a fact from at least two recruits that I literally was able to view the process with my own eyes that what a site says the main recruiter is doesn't always match up.

But if you think about it, that's common sense. If you're a head coach and a recruit really connects with one of the other coaches at a camp or something what are you going to do? You're going to let that coach get in there and get the kid signed and you're not going to call the recruiting sites and say there has been a change of plan.....

The knock on Rocker that I've always heard and that I alluded to before is not that he *can't* recruit, but that he doesn't enjoy it and therefore isn't the call-you-every-day type. I have no problem believing that he has a very strong appeal to certain players. But I think there are a lot of other players who want to be "shown the love"... and maybe that's where a guy like Garner comes in. I dunno. I don't REALLY follow recruiting- guilty. 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The knock on Rocker that I've always heard and that I alluded to before is not that he *can't* recruit, but that he doesn't enjoy it and therefore isn't the call-you-every-day type. I have no problem believing that he has a very strong appeal to certain players. But I think there are a lot of other players who want to be "shown the love"... and maybe that's where a guy like Garner comes in. I dunno. I don't REALLY follow recruiting- guilty. 

I think you nailed it. He can recruit, because he's a great position coach and a great guy, which makes him desirable to play for, but he doesn't like being away from his family and, like you said, he's not a "call you every day" kind of guy... so when you are trying to close on a kid who thrives on the love, he may not be the best guy to lead the charge. That's not a huge problem if you have other guys to do that, but we don't have many.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you nailed it. He can recruit, because he's a great position coach and a great guy, which makes him desirable to play for, but he doesn't like being away from his family and, like you said, he's not a "call you every day" kind of guy... so when you are trying to close on a kid who thrives on the love, he may not be the best guy to lead the charge. That's not a huge problem if you have other guys to do that, but we don't have many.

Sounds like he would be a better fit in the NFL.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Garner isn't really like that either, unless you're really really good, in that respect he's no different than rocker. These two men have pretty much recruited head to head many years and neither has just over performed the other.....to really act like one is much more efficient than the other makes no sense to me personally. Not to mention the entire rocker doesn't like recruiting, doesn't like calling is hearsay that many just run with as fact

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Garner isn't really like that either, unless you're really really good, in that respect he's no different than rocker. These two men have pretty much recruited head to head many years and neither has just over performed the other.....to really act like one is much more efficient than the other makes no sense to me personally. Not to mention the entire rocker doesn't like recruiting, doesn't like calling is hearsay that many just run with as fact

I know you said that it doesn't make sense to you, but do you have any guesses as to why there's such a difference in perception? That's what's confusing to me. How does one of them get one reputation and the other get the exact opposite? 

Because when he left here there had to be a problem with him if you notice the trend of every coach that leaves.....When it looked as if garner was in a little trouble we were about to do it to him as well. And the opposite, when kodi was first hired he was the greatest and Craig was all of a sudden a pos

I feel like most of you. We do need a new WR coach as well as a TE/ST's coach. Who that would I don't really know. Do y'all have any ideas?

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Rocker isn't coming back to AU right now.  I bet he ends up in the NFL. 

As long as Gus is HC right?

wde

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Because when he left here there had to be a problem with him if you notice the trend of every coach that leaves.....When it looked as if garner was in a little trouble we were about to do it to him as well. And the opposite, when kodi was first hired he was the greatest and Craig was all of a sudden a pos

I don't remember anyone saying anything negative about Rocker when he went to the Titans.  but realistically I can't remember anything said at the time. 

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nothing to do with Gus. Just isn't a place for CTR on the staff right now. 

Didn't Gus ask T Rocker to be on the staff when Gus was hired and T Rocker said no?

wde

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Didn't Gus ask T Rocker to be on the staff when Gus was hired and T Rocker said no?

wde

I don't know. i don't remember. i do remember RG was a priority because of recruiting and auburn ties. seems TRoc was still on Titans staff and the HC and staff was fired after Gus hired.

6 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Yes but at that time he was happy coaching for the Titans. They fired him a year later. Had 0 to do with Gus as WDE said.

Archived