Vice President Pence’s “never dine alone with a woman” rule isn’t honorable. It’s probably illegal.

Auburn85

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Hence the use of the word "generally."

Personal observations of self-defined Christians suggests to me that is an inadequate qualifier.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Personal observations of self-defined Christians suggests to me that is an inadequate qualifier.

I would suggest that your personal observations are inadequate.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I would suggest that your personal observations are inadequate.

My 66 years of living in the deep South suggests otherwise.

Just now, homersapien said:

My 66 years of living in the deep South suggests otherwise.

Proximity is not the same as adequate knowledge.  Anecdotes are not evidence.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Proximity is not the same as adequate knowledge.  Anecdotes are not evidence.

Personal observations aren't anecdotes.

As far as evidence is concerned, I have access to the same reference materials and evidence as any Christian.  Heck, I was one for the first part of my life.

Personal observations aren't anecdotes.

That's exactly what an anecdote is.  It being personally observed you makes it no less an anecdote.

As far as evidence is concerned, I have access to the same reference materials and evidence as any Christian.

Having them and properly understanding them is sometimes a struggle even for people living the faith, much less one on the outside looking in.

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That's exactly what an anecdote is.  It being personally observed you makes it no less an anecdote.

Nonsense.  

What I personally experience is not an anecdote, it's an example which may or may not be illustrative.  

Now if I tell someone else about what I have witnessed, it becomes an anecdote to them, but it's still an example for me.

Nonsense.  

What I personally witness is not an anecdote, it's an example which may or may not be illustrative.  

Now if I tell someone else about what I have witnessed, it becomes an anecdote to them, but it's still an example for me.

That's not really a requirement for the definition of anecdote.  But even going with your definition:

You told it to me.  It's an anecdote.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Having them and properly understanding them is sometimes a struggle even for people living the faith, much less one on the outside looking in.

Also known as an objective observer.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Also known as an objective observer.

And yet, faith/religious belief really isn't the sort of thing that can be measured or truly understood within the limitations of scientific methods.  I can be an objective observer of women all day long, but it's not going to make more better able to understand what womanhood is about than a woman.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

That's not really a requirement for the definition of anecdote.  But even going with your definition:

You told it to me.  It's an anecdote.

True.

You'll just have to project yourself and accept that what I have personally experienced informs my opinion of religion.

True.

You'll just have to project yourself and accept that what I have personally experienced informs my opinion of religion.

I can do that.  But when I apply it to my own lived, first hand experience as a Christian, it doesn't ring true.  And I have just as many, if not more, personal observations of others of the faith as well.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

And yet, faith/religious belief really isn't the sort of thing that can be measured or truly understood within the limitations of scientific methods.  I can be an objective observer of women all day long, but it's not going to make more better able to understand what womanhood is about than a woman.

Certainly true, at least generally.  One has to be crazy to fully understand crazy (for example).

Yet, specifically speaking, it's not hard to recognize the behavior of other people for what it is.

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

There may be some people that may find such things necessary.  I don't have any proclivity toward excessive gambling, drug abuse or attractions to prepubescents.  Thus I don't avoid sports or refuse medicine or avoid children.  On the other hand, I'm pretty much like any other man on this planet in that I am fully capable of experiencing attraction to women other than my wife.  And I don't believe I would ever act on or attempt to pursue anything in that regard.  But I would still have some "guard rails" with my interactions with women that wouldn't happen with men.  Because I am not so arrogant as to believe that I could never get to a place where I could give into a morally compromising situation.  

And on that last issue you mentioned, I do work with pre-adolescents at our church.  And you know what?  We have rules about that.  We don't go into the restroom with any child over a certain age and there must be at least two adults present at all times - no one is to be left alone with children.  They are both to protect children and the adults who teach them.  Obviously it's not an exact parallel as we wouldn't allow anyone with a known past of pedophila to be with them rules or no rules.  But the rules not only protect the children, but they protect the teachers from being falsely accused.

Your inability to think beyond the most ridiculously narrow way of seeing this is not my problem. 

I'm ridiculously narrow, but I don't need guard rails to stay on track. Do you request a male barber/stylist for a haircut? Physical or massage therapist? Dental hygienist? Loan officer at bank/ mortgage lender. Insurance agency. Do you avoid women everywhere or is it just a restaurant that you worry the mojo turns on? 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I'm ridiculously narrow, but I don't need guard rails to stay on track. Do you request a male barber/stylist for a haircut? Physical or massage therapist? Dental hygienist? Loan officer at bank/ mortgage lender. Insurance agency. Do you avoid women everywhere or is it just a restaurant that you worry the mojo turns on? 

Good for you.  You're an exceptional human being.  When I grow up one day I hope to be just like you.  How awesome it must feel to be impervious to temptation no matter the circumstances of one's life.  You're truly a crowning achievement for humankind.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Good for you.  You're an exceptional human being.  When I grow up one day I hope to be just like you.  How awesome it must feel to be impervious to temptation no matter the circumstances of one's life.  You're truly a crowning achievement for humankind.

Thanks but you didn't answer the questions. I had no idea going through a lunch with a female without going full Robert Bentley was such a feat. Especially when my job is on the line.(not to mention marriage) I heard a saying once. " You should never get your sex and your checks at the same place". 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Thanks but you didn't answer the questions.

They were new wordings for the same questions as before.  Asked and answered, O Pure One.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They were new wordings for the same questions as before.  Asked and answered, O Pure One.

So do you let women cut your hair? Boobs rubbing the back of your head,cleavage in your face? 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

So do you let women cut your hair?

Yes.

You do realize that I've stated my boundaries are not as strict or the same as Pence's right?

How many of these tiresome, inane questions are we going to have to endure, Saint Alexava?

Look, I'm not going to spend another several hours going back and forth on silliness.  I have boundaries.  If you were being honest, so do you and I imagine they come up way short of "anything else goes, just don't sleep with them."  Your line might be at a different place than mine, which is different that my pastor's or Mike Pence's but we all have them if we are normal, functioning, thinking adults.  Stop acting like people are weird because their line is further out than you deem necessary.  

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Unfortunately, arrogance comes with being smarter than most people.  I've never denied it.

(But that has nothing to do with the fact Pence lacks the self-confidence to treat a woman as a professional equal.) 

I just spewed beer out my nose. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Drinking early or up all night?

Perhaps you didn't realize it's five o'clock somewhere? 

Archived