2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I know it's probably a misperception on my part, but it seems rare for a top tier recruit to say AU is recruiting him the hardest. 

I def agree in the gus area! It seems our coaches are super chill and do not push for kids commitment a lot of times! That is why these guys who seem like they are so close to pulling the trigger for us string it out and some never do. Maybe our coaches need to evaluate how they recruit certain kids. Maybe the vibe is by not pressing them it seems like they do not want them bad enough. IDK MAN! I am just some random hick but not from french lick on a message board! haha

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, alexava said:

I want JF as much as anyone, maybe. But I like Nix so much I won't cry if we don't get Fields. We do need to sign two probably for this class.

Field's is a special talent. Could be pushing for the top high school player in the country right now. Difference maker at the QB position. Right now I'd take Field's even if it meant losing Nix. I think we get both. 

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Field's is a special talent. Could be pushing for the top high school player in the country right now. Difference maker at the QB position. Right now I'd take Field's even if it meant losing Nix. I think we get both. 

There was a recent article saying that the only reason he wasn't being talked about as a clear-cut #1 recruit/generational QB is because there is 1 other clear-cut #1/generational QB slightly ahead of him. Like it's those 2 and then everyone else. Folks can say what they will about recruiting analysts, but a lot of their info comes from real football people and they do put some stock in their own reputations. 

21 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

SW has an issue and has an attitude I'll leave it at that. U have to be a leader and a player that is liked and have ur teammates want to play for you when you are the qb. SW has had a problem with this during his time at AU. The off field issue I won't discuss.

Also UGA is looking at a qb from Cali and are looking like they may get him. He is a 5 star that was committed to USC.

If it was anybody but austudent23 saying this I would have taken this with a grain of salt. All last year I kept hearing how the team loved SW and even when he was hurt like in the second half of the Vandy game they seemed to play better when he was on the field. Is this something that has happened since he broke his arm as I have to admit it was unexpected. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There was a recent article saying that the only reason he wasn't being talked about as a clear-cut #1 recruit/generational QB is because there is 1 other clear-cut #1/generational QB slightly ahead of him. Like it's those 2 and then everyone else. Folks can say what they will about recruiting analysts, but a lot of their info comes from real football people and they do put some stock in their own reputations. 

Yep. Word is Fields is pushing Trevor Lawrence hard.  

9 hours ago, alexava said:

I want JF as much as anyone, maybe. But I like Nix so much I won't cry if we don't get Fields. We do need to sign two probably for this class.

Heck no. I like Nix, but JF is one of those talents that transcends your team to the center of national intentions in a switch E.G. Deshaun Watson. Yeah, Tahj Boyd was cool and successful, but then you have Deshaun Watson.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Heck no. I like Nix, but JF is one of those talents that transcends your team to the center of national intentions in a switch E.G. Deshaun Watson. Yeah, Tahj Boyd was cool and successful, but then you have Deshaun Watson.

I expect that by this time next year Bo Nix may be pushing to be the top QB in the 2019 class...and he's an AU legacy...that makes for an exciting storyline...easy to sell to fans and recruits alike. That in itself will bring loads of attention...that being said, I want both...?

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I def agree in the gus area! It seems our coaches are super chill and do not push for kids commitment a lot of times! That is why these guys who seem like they are so close to pulling the trigger for us string it out and some never do. Maybe our coaches need to evaluate how they recruit certain kids. Maybe the vibe is by not pressing them it seems like they do not want them bad enough. IDK MAN! I am just some random hick but not from french lick on a message board! haha

That's actually been stated by the coaches... they don't push players to commit... they actually encourage them to take all of their visits and make the right choice for them.  Sometimes it doesn't work out in our favor, but I've also read comments from several recruits over the year who really respect that.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I agree with this.  Fields is the top player in the country and I would take him in a heartbeat if it meant losing NIx.  That being said we will likely get both.  Both are special talents.  I just believe BF is a game changer. That is not a knock on Nix at all either who is a very very good qb.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's actually been stated by the coaches... they don't push players to commit... they actually encourage them to take all of their visits and make the right choice for them.  Sometimes it doesn't work out in our favor, but I've also read comments from several recruits over the year who really respect that.

True, but how many of those recruits are saying they respect that at the same time that they're committing to another school? I think GWill's question, which I've also asked before, is do we make it too easy to say no to us? I personally appreciate our approach on paper, but I could never be in sales. It's worth wondering if we shouldn't be just a little more aggressive. 

You were spot on with a previous post when you said that people always post that the sky is always falling in June, but then we always end up with a top 10 class. Maybe, though, we could be looking a little better each June and knocking on the door of top 5 a little more often. Always room to improve. 

21 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree with this.  Fields is the top player in the country and I would take him in a heartbeat if it meant losing NIx.  That being said we will likely get both.  Both are special talents.  I just believe BF is a game changer. That is not a knock on Nix at all either who is a very very good qb.

No offense, 23... I mean you are the most plugged in of anyone here, but last year you were singing the praises of Franklin and he ended up being more or less a bust when he was given his shot. I know Fields is obviously at a completely different level, but what are you seeing that has you so high on him that is different than what you saw in Franklin?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

True, but how many of those recruits are saying they respect that at the same time that they're committing to another school? I think GWill's question, which I've also asked before, is do we make it too easy to say no to us? I personally appreciate our approach on paper, but I could never be in sales. It's worth wondering if we shouldn't be just a little more aggressive. 

You were spot on with a previous post when you said that people always post that the sky is always falling in June, but then we always end up with a top 10 class. Maybe, though, we could be looking a little better each June and knocking on the door of top 5 a little more often. Always room to improve. 

Honestly, I don't think this is a "right way/wrong way" type of thing, because it's going to depend on the player.  I know why Gus does what he does... because he doesn't want situations like we had with Jackson and Character, where they want to play for a coach and not the school, so now that they coach is gone, they are unhappy. Gus wants players who really want to be at Auburn, because they are a LOT less work for a lot more reward. Yea, it costs us some 5*s but how many times have we learned that those 5*s would never had survived in our organization, because Gus doesn't tolerate the kind of crap they bring with them.

2 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

I expect that by this time next year Bo Nix may be pushing to be the top QB in the 2019 class...and he's an AU legacy...that makes for an exciting storyline...easy to sell to fans and recruits alike. That in itself will bring loads of attention...that being said, I want both...?

But if your feet were put to the fire , who are you choosing ? I will take fields . All day , everyday and I like Nix.

maybe it's just me but I will always take Lebron over KD if you get my drift .

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Honestly, I don't think this is a "right way/wrong way" type of thing, because it's going to depend on the player.  

Definitely. So maybe we can do a better job of identifying which players would respond to a more aggressive approach and which wouldn't. 

We agree that Auburn is doing a *lot* well when it comes to recruiting. Again, just thinking that there are always ways to improve, and this might be one of them. When we have a guy who likes us a lot and who we like a lot, it's possible that we could be pushing a little harder to lock him up early.

I just remembered that we are having this conversation in the Justin Fields thread, lol. I don't think he falls into whatever category I'm speaking of so I'll look forward to any more thoughts you have and refrain from making any further non-JF comments here...

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

But if your feet were put to the fire , who are you choosing ? I will take fields . All day , everyday and I like Nix.

While some of his reasoning doesn't match up with things we've seen and heard, if 23 is right that Sean is being kicked to the curb because of personality issues, then Fields goes from a want to a badly need. I mean, Willis has serious promise, but losing Sean takes us from knowing 1&2 can handle the bright lights and drive the team to hoping... and hoping hasn't been a good place to be for us.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely. So maybe we can do a better job of identifying which players would respond to a more aggressive approach and which wouldn't. 

We agree that Auburn is doing a *lot* well when it comes to recruiting. Again, just thinking that there are always ways to improve, and this might be one of them. When we have a guy who likes us a lot and who we like a lot, it's possible that we could be pushing a little harder to lock him up early.

I just remembered that we are having this conversation in the Justin Fields thread, lol. I don't think he falls into whatever category I'm speaking of so I'll look forward to any more thoughts you have and refrain from making any further non-JF comments here...

It is going to be interesting to see how things change as this year goes on, as Gus has dramatically mixed things up in his recruiting staff. I do wonder if pulling in the former Tigerette who was at Georgia isn't in some way part of an effort to close on Fields and a few others.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While some of his reasoning doesn't match up with things we've seen and heard, if 23 is right that Sean is being kicked to the curb because of personality issues, the Fields goes from a want to a badly need. I mean, Willis has serious promise, but losing Sean takes us from knowing 1&2 can handle the bright lights and drive the team to hoping... and hoping hasn't been a good place to be for us.

Well , first let me just say that I do not believe SW attitude is anywhere near to the extent people are saying . I am sure he is cocky , I am sure he probably parties . Welcome to collegiate athletics . Good reeling in should solve that . I don't see it being detrimental to the team or his teammates .

also , based on what our insiders have been saying , Nix probably will need some work coming in . Not surprising , most freshman do, however fields is a very unique talent . You know one of those unique talents who could actually compete for the starting job as a freshman .

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well , first let me just say that I do not believe SW attitude is anywhere near to the extent people are saying . I am sure he is cocky , I am sure he probably parties . Welcome to collegiate athletics . Good reeling in should solve that . I don't see it being detrimental to the team or his teammates .

I'm with you, but I also give 23 the benefit of the doubt until I see proof otherwise.  He may not always get the details right, and he's been fooled a couple of times, but the basis of his comments is usually pretty rock solid.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

based on what our insiders have been saying , Nix probably will need some work coming in . Not surprising , most freshman do, however fields is a very unique talent . You know one of those unique talents who could actually compete for the starting job as a freshman .

I'm not sure what to think on the Nix front.  I've read analysis of some of his camp appearances that think, considering he has one more year to mature, that he may be the rare year 1 starter as well.  Still my concern is next year. Even if Stidham stays, which I think he will, he's going to need a solid back-up.  We know Gatewood won't be ready. We hope Willis will, but if he does it will be a unique thing for Auburn and relatively uncommon overall. We'll have to see how 23s Sean stuff pans out, but if he's sitting his senior year and really does have an attitude problem, there's a good chance he'll grad-transfer. I'd LOVE the option of having Fields in there to be that backup in 2018 and maybe the starter in 2019 if/when Nix comes on board. 

It's crazy how if you go to other boards, others schools are very confident they lead for Fields. Some are even saying he may commit soon. 

Florida - is supposedly recruiting him the hardest right now. FL fans feel confident, even though he does not live close by. They have lots of Crystal Balls for Fields.

GA - fans are confident because his mom likes UGA a lot and she wants him to play close to home. He has visited.

Fl St - Lots of people have been saying that FL St will be tuff to beat for Fields because of their success with QB's and their HC. He visited Fl St very recently and some seem to think that he was not impressed as Fl St tried to negative recruit the other schools he is looking at. 

Auburn - AU fans like that we are close to his home. He has idolized Cam Newton and plays on his 7 on 7 team. Plus, he apparently like our OC. He has visited.

Let's hope Bama does not get involved. 

This is going to be very interesting.

3 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

It's crazy how if you go to other boards, others schools are very confident they lead for Fields. Some are even saying he may commit soon. 

Florida - is supposedly recruiting him the hardest right now. FL fans feel confident, even though he does not live close by. They have lots of Crystal Balls for Fields.

GA - fans are confident because his mom likes UGA a lot and she wants him to play close to home. He has visited.

Fl St - Lots of people have been saying that FL St will be tuff to beat for Fields because of their success with QB's and their HC. He visited Fl St very recently and some seem to think that he was not impressed as Fl St tried to negative recruit the other schools he is looking at. 

Auburn - AU fans like that we are close to his home. He has idolized Cam Newton and plays on his 7 on 7 team. Plus, he apparently like our OC. He has visited.

I wonder , when is the last time UGA had a sensational DT-QB? I feel like their offense never caters to their strength . Same goes with UF now . I can understand the love for FSU

28 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Bama probably wouldn't come after Fields unless they felt very strongly he wanted to sign with Auburn.

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I wonder , when is the last time UGA had a sensational DT-QB? I feel like their offense never caters to their strength . Same goes with UF now . I can understand the love for FSU

Probably DJ Shockley...if he could be considered sensational...

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

And don't forget the Fields & Wootens are very tight as family friends. I don't know if it will be a deciding factor but the Wootens will have a role in this recruitment.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

And don't forget the Fields & Wootens are very tight as family friends. I don't know if it will be a deciding factor but the Wootens will have a role in this recruitment.

Now that's interesting...the plot thickens...

Archived