2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

White isn't being shown the curb. He just isn't the QB that Stidham is. White will be the #2 guy at the start of the season. White hasn't shown the "work ethic" that the QB of a team needs to show. Stidham has. 

The week of the uga game with White missing practices he could have made are all you need to know about the situation. 

Yeah by me saying SW is done at AU I didn't mean he will be kicked off of the team.  I meant his time at AUburn as the starting qb are done.  I expect him to transfer when he graduates. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, austudnt23 said:

Yeah by me saying SW is done at AU I didn't mean he will be kicked off of the team.  I meant his time at AUburn as the starting qb are done.  I expect him to transfer when he graduates. 

Yeah, I am expecting the same.  Which is another reason for us to show JF that while we have depth today we likely will be thin next year.  Because of that he will have to opportunity to come in and get playing time especially if injuries occur.

51 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Yeah, I am expecting the same.  Which is another reason for us to show JF that while we have depth today we likely will be thin next year.  Because of that he will have to opportunity to come in and get playing time especially if injuries occur.

Malik Willis is a very good qb in his own right. We really don't know at this time if JS will stay around for a 2nd or even 3rd year at Auburn, but if he goes pro after this season I believe JF would start the 2018 season as our qb.  IMO if we have the type of year I expect and JS avoids injury he would likely be a 1st round draft pick and would be hard for him to pass up going pro after this year.  It would be a battle but I believe JF is a talent that doesn't come around very often and is the total package at qb.  This is given that JF comes in and puts the effort forth to learn the offense etc. which I fully expect he would do.  It would be a tough decision that runs into fall camp but I think JF would edge MW out.  MW is very similar to NM who we saw what kind of success he had at AUburn.  JF is very similar to Deshaun Watson and is the type of player that can come in and play as a true freshman at qb and play immediately.  JG is still a wildcard as our qb for the future.  His potential is off the charts, but he will need a couple of years to develop.  Like I said getting FIelds would set us up for years at the most important position on the field which is qb.  When you add in BO next year our qb depth will be set for a while.

6 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

yeah but how do you go about doing that while still showing respect to Sean? Certainly don't want to mishandle him and have other recruits thinking the same could happen to them too.

If I were JF I would ask myself 2 things:  which system can I stay healthy in to showcase my talent?  And can I have a shot to start my soph year?

Every program tells him he can compete to start year one.   Interesting read: Stidham is projected To  be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick just based on his frosh year.  After a strong year, I suspect he will make the jump. http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php (very interesting to read he is #7 and ahead of some quality QBs)

Stay healthy and showcase?  Lots of factors:  O line, receiving corps and can the team run the ball so defenses aren't keying on me every play?   Can someone assess the 4 programs he is considering (running game, O line, receivers) and give us an opinion?  I think with sis playing softball at UGA, that issue is mitigated b/c they play in dif seasons.   I am  too much of a homer I think to look at this objectively.  

Scheme-wise, I think Lindsey will look like a genius as this season unfolds.  Especially if we beat Clemson with 31+ points.  JF should feel more than comfy with Lindsey.   Looking at his last 2 yrs and what he had to work with, I would.  Lindsey has never had tools like this...

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

yeah but how do you go about doing that while still showing respect to Sean? Certainly don't want to mishandle him and have other recruits thinking the same could happen to them too.

He's covered in the injuries part of the statement. No disrespect there. And as 23 & WDE pointed out Sean has done himself no favors with the staff at times plus as 23 pointed out he expects Sean to transfer when he finishes his undergrad degree after this season so he may not be here anyway regardless.

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

If I were JF I would ask myself 2 things:  which system can I stay healthy in to showcase my talent?  And can I have a shot to start my soph year?

On the first question that's more dependent on the OL in front of him.

I think with sis playing softball at UGA, that issue is mitigated b/c they play in dif seasons.

The season's they play don't matter. Mom just would prefer them at the same school. If he ends up at UGA that likely will be the deciding factor.

Scheme-wise, I think Lindsey will look like a genius as this season unfolds.  Especially if we beat Clemson with 31+ points.

Points scored won't matter as much as how the pass game looks in that game. If JS throws 3 or more TDs passes in that game then that will help IMO.

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The season's they play don't matter. Mom just would prefer them at the same school. If he ends up at UGA that likely will be the deciding factor.

I hope you are wrong this time.  As a parent of two, I wished both my kids had went to Auburn.  Daughter wanted to stay close and went to an SEC school, but son is now 14 hrs away at Auburn.   I never pressured my daughter and they would have overlapped!  That would have been cool, but....they need to choose what is best for them.  This is not a time for parents to be selfish.

OL and Stidham's performance....huge points.   I think the ability to run the ball and RB pipeline will also be huge.  I recall some talented QBs at S Carolina, but they couldn't run the ball and the O got smothered.  That's what I recall.  

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think the ability to run the ball and RB pipeline will also be huge.  I recall some talented QBs at S Carolina, but they couldn't run the ball and the O got smothered.  That's what I recall.

Not sure which QB's you are referring too but QB health in general is much more related how well the OL pass blocks more than how well the O runs the ball. Plus Chip believes in & will use the RPO and there are ways to use the RPO to help the OL block. Lastly we aren't going to see JS keep & run the ball like Nick Marshall did. He will run some but not many designed runs.

Will Stidz be enough of a threat on the ground to actually make the DE/OLB respect him on our zone-read looks? People said White would be but he really wasn't. They crashed hard down on the give and maybe 3x all season did we make a team actually pay for that. Hopefully CCL implements a true zone-read instead of calling it from the sideline.

17 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I don't think Fields, Gatewood or Nix are going to be worried about becoming the next Sean White. Nor will they look at him as an obstacle to their ascension. 

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Will Stidz be enough of a threat on the ground to actually make the DE/OLB respect him on our zone-read looks? People said White would be but he really wasn't. They crashed hard down on the give and maybe 3x all season did we make a team actually pay for that. Hopefully CCL implements a true zone-read instead of calling it from the sideline.

If Chip truly is running the show then JS will not be the one DEs & OLBs are facing a decision on most of the time. Chip's O an RPO & not a true zone read & is based on the 1st 2 options being an inside or cross run to a RB or an pass to a WR, TE, or HB. JS will be option 3 and I don't think they will have an option 3 most of the time.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't believe Auburn will use heavy zone read with Stidham although I believe he will probably run it 5-10 times a game, but Stidham is no SW when it comes to running - he is MUCH more of a threat in the run game than White. Stidham reminds me a lot of Trevor Knight, but a MUCH better passer than Knight ever was.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

I don't believe Auburn will use heavy zone read with Stidham although I believe he will probably run it 5-10 times a game, but Stidham is no SW when it comes to running - he is MUCH more of a threat in the run game than White. Stidham reminds me a lot of Trevor Knight, but a MUCH better passer than Knight ever was.

JS is not as physical as Knight. His running is more like Aaron Rogers.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's covered in the injuries part of the statement. No disrespect there. And as 23 & WDE pointed out Sean has done himself no favors with the staff at times plus as 23 pointed out he expects Sean to transfer when he finishes his undergrad degree after this season so he may not be here anyway regardless.

Not going to see the QB at AU get hit like SW did last year. Not with Chip running the show. New offense. So injuries won't be a problem. Well shouldn't be.  

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JS is not as physical as Knight. His running is more like Aaron Rogers.

I can agree with that Really hope JS doesn't try to be a physical runner since we would be at a big loss if JS ever gets injured. If I recall correctly, he was injured for much of his true freshman year at Baylor.

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I hope you are wrong this time.  As a parent of two, I wished both my kids had went to Auburn.  Daughter wanted to stay close and went to an SEC school, but son is now 14 hrs away at Auburn.   I never pressured my daughter and they would have overlapped!  That would have been cool, but....they need to choose what is best for them.  This is not a time for parents to be selfish.

OL and Stidham's performance....huge points.   I think the ability to run the ball and RB pipeline will also be huge.  I recall some talented QBs at S Carolina, but they couldn't run the ball and the O got smothered.  That's what I recall.  

It's a AU vs FSU battle. The next schools are way down. 

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yes. Stidham can run. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not going to see the QB at AU get hit like SW did last year. Not with Chip running the show. New offense. So injuries won't be a problem. Well shouldn't be.  

I think SW's injuries last year seem to stem from his own effort to try to extend a play than a decision by the coaches to run him. Just look at the bowl game when he broke his arm - that was because SW was trying to give 110% and wanting to do a John Elway helicopter instead of sliding.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

I think SW's injuries last year seem to stem from his own effort to try to extend a play than a decision by the coaches to run him. Just look at the bowl game when he broke his arm - that was because SW was trying to give 110% and wanting to do a John Elway helicopter instead of sliding.

That and play calling. And let be honest. SW is limited at what he can do under center. 

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If Chip truly is running the show then JS will not be the one DEs & OLBs are facing a decision on most of the time. Chip's O an RPO & not a true zone read & is based on the 1st 2 options being an inside or cross run to a RB or an pass to a WR, TE, or HB. JS will be option 3 and I don't think they will have an option 3 most of the time.

thank you for breaking this down!

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That and play calling. And let be honest. SW is limited at what he can do under center. 

To be fair, most guys are. The ones who aren't win Heismans.  

Worst thing is that evidently it's not physical inadequacies that have held Sean back.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's a AU vs FSU battle. The next schools are way down. 

I hope you are right but confidence is growing at UGA FWIW.

50 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes. Stidham can run. 

I think most of his runs will be on broken down plays though. Just hope he's smarter than Sean on injury protection.

Archived