NFL Thread

aujeff11

Yeah there's a reason guys like Mitch Trubisky, who was pretty average at UNC, get viewed as better pro prospects than guys like Lamar Jackson. IMO that thought process is trickled down (or up?) to HC hires as well

• Like 1

I think it’s there. It’s gotten better but will never go away. Most of us are guilty of this bias. Few realize or admit it. 

On 1/10/2020 at 6:15 AM, The Six said:

Here's a good working definition of unconscious bias: Unconscious biases are social stereotypes about certain groups of people that individuals form outside their conscious awareness. Unconscious bias happens outside of our control. It occurs automatically and is triggered by our brain making a quick judgment.Unconscious biases are social stereotypes about certain groups of people that individuals form outside their conscious awareness. Unconscious bias happens outside of our control. It occurs automatically and is triggered by our brain making a quick judgment. (https://talentculture.com/the-truth-about-unconscious-bias-in-the-workplace/)

Basically, there's thought that owners/GMs hold minority coaching candidates to a much higher standard than their counterparts. Good example is Eric Bieniemy who has coached for nearly 20 years (after a playing career) and worked his way up the chain "the way you are supposed to" (position coach to coordinator). Every year he interviews for jobs only for them to go to the a less experienced guy. Or how African-American quarterbacks labeled as "athletic" often have their credentials as QBs questioned because of their style of play. (See Lamar Jackson, most recently.) 

Is that because of unconscious bias? I can't say, but I think it's worth discussing. 

Or how there hasn't been a white starting corner back in the NFL since Seahorn in 2003.

I think there is unconscious bias across the board in professional athletics from the field to the front offices.

Apologies, but I don't follow pro football.

Will there be any Auburn players on the field for this Super Bowl?

Sunday UPDATE -- Don't rush to reply. I answered the question for myself.

Edited by AURex

Pretty interesting super bowl so far. 2star Garoppolo against 3star Mahomes.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 1:27 AM, Texan4Auburn said:

Or how there hasn't been a white starting corner back in the NFL since Seahorn in 2003.

I think there is unconscious bias across the board in professional athletics from the field to the front offices.

“Or” People get the position they are best suited for.  ???? Across the board. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

“Or” People get the position they are best suited for.  ???? Across the board. 

or

On 1/16/2020 at 6:39 PM, alexava said:

I think it’s there. It’s gotten better but will never go away. Most of us are guilty of this bias. Few realize or admit it. 

Which is it? Best guy getting the job or the bias is there?

54 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

or

Which is it? Best guy getting the job or the bias is there?

My point:  you’ll never know if you don’t look at it objectively. Most will have already made up their mind. 

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Paladin said:

That sucks hardcore. It’s like Jordan retiring as a Wizard and not a Bull, Montana a Chief and not a 9er, ...etc. Legendary players are supposed to retire as single franchise players. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

They are really going in on him now

No they won't. Stidham will still be a backup. Pats will sign one of the FA QBs out there if they can (Bridgewater, etc..).

I don't see them relying on a 2nd year QB to get them to the playoffs again...

47 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No they won't. Stidham will still be a backup. Pats will sign one of the FA QBs out there if they can (Bridgewater, etc..).

I don't see them relying on a 2nd year QB to get them to the playoffs again...

More likely that they are going to sign a vet to get them through a few years with a plan to try to keep developing Stidham. I think Stidham could become a good NFL quarterback, but I’m not sure he’s ready. Maybe they’ll sign Cam, and Cam can help mentor him. One thing Stidham still needs to develop is in being more of a vocal leader... One of Cam’s strengths.

Sounds like Panthers were sure they were going to sign Bridgewater when they told Cam he could look elsewhere now.

Such sneaky negotiations these NFL teams  use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

They are really going in on him now

I think that pick 6 turned off the luster that he achieved in preseason. I don’t think they commit to him. I hope he challenges in training camp. 

• Like 1