NFL Thread

aujeff11

1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

Black Monday comes early

Kitchens is on any short list of epic disasters as HC. Hard to imagine how it could have possibly been any worse.

4 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Sounds like it's a only a matter of which NFL job Rhule wants to take. I do respect him being upfront with the Baylor players and not just leave them twisting in the wind wondering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ree.gif

rerew.gif

gfdgfd.gif

• Thanks 1

I'm not particularly impressed with most of the NFL hires so far.

Panthers - Matt Rhule could be a great hire but he's far from a guarantee. I think his reputation as a re-builder is likely what sold the Panthers on going all in (7 year contract loaded with incentives). Decent hire but most of the Panthers fans seem rathe unpleased. Still, better than Rivera.

Cowboys - Mike McCarthy is an interesting hire and it might be successful considering the Cowboys already have a decent starting roster to build upon. Signing Dak and handling the cap space will be an uphill battle and working under JJones has to be miserable considering how involved he tends to be.

Giants - Joe Judge... man the Giants are a terrible franchise. This isn't a pretty hire by any means. I guess he's young and coming from a program everyone wants to duplicate but this isn't the home run they were hoping for either. He apparently is far from being a "player's coach" which could be interesting. He at least has some tools to begin working with but having Gman as your GM isn't a great thing.

Redskins - Rivera will be more of the same for the Redskins. 76-63 is not a promising record and he mostly leaned on Cam to carry his career. The guy is boring, out of touch, and an excuse artist. The Redskins really just need to change names and move to London for a complete rebuild.

Browns - It's odd that McDaniels seems to be the hottest name out there (receiving the most interviews) but now he's the last realistic big name out there with only one real vacancy left. Nothing has happened yet but it would be very interesting to see him go work with Chubb/Mayfield/OBJ/Landry at the Browns. 

I don't have an ax to grind. Just interested in a discussion about this if any of you have thoughts. 

Edited by The Six

9 hours ago, The Six said:

I don't haven an axe to grind. Just interested in a discussion about this if any of you have thoughts. 

"unconscious bias"...….guess I would wonder how you read someone's subconscious thoughts?  

Who knows.?  ...JMO but the NFL owners have a bias toward winning and seem willing to do about anything that will get them there.  Beyond that?  :dunno:    I see allegations from time to time but usually based on statistics ….and can't recall seeing actual names of people who should be HCs that are not getting the jobs.

BUT the NFL is incestuous in my view and mostly just shuffles coaches from one team to the next.....it does look like a pretty closed society. 

Edited by AU64

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

"unconscious bias"...….guess I would wonder how you read someone's subconscious thoughts?  

Who knows.?  ...JMO but the NFL owners have a bias toward winning and seem willing to do about anything that will get them there.  Beyond that?  :dunno:    I see allegations from time to time but usually based on statistics ….and can't recall seeing actual names of people who should be HCs that are not getting the jobs.

BUT the NFL is incestuous in my view and mostly just shuffles coaches from one team to the next.....it does look like a pretty closed society. 

Here's a good working definition of unconscious bias: Unconscious biases are social stereotypes about certain groups of people that individuals form outside their conscious awareness. Unconscious bias happens outside of our control. It occurs automatically and is triggered by our brain making a quick judgment.Unconscious biases are social stereotypes about certain groups of people that individuals form outside their conscious awareness. Unconscious bias happens outside of our control. It occurs automatically and is triggered by our brain making a quick judgment. (https://talentculture.com/the-truth-about-unconscious-bias-in-the-workplace/)

Basically, there's thought that owners/GMs hold minority coaching candidates to a much higher standard than their counterparts. Good example is Eric Bieniemy who has coached for nearly 20 years (after a playing career) and worked his way up the chain "the way you are supposed to" (position coach to coordinator). Every year he interviews for jobs only for them to go to the a less experienced guy. Or how African-American quarterbacks labeled as "athletic" often have their credentials as QBs questioned because of their style of play. (See Lamar Jackson, most recently.) 

Is that because of unconscious bias? I can't say, but I think it's worth discussing. 

Edited by The Six
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Is that because of unconscious bias? I can't say, but I think it's worth discussing.

Might be...but this is a sports site....so somewhere else perhaps.... 

As for the EB...considering that numerous other black coaches have been hired and fired, I'm inclined to think  the issue is him and not his race although Yahoo is trying to make it appear that way. .  

Being a good coordinator is not necessarily an indicator of being good head coaching material and there is no particular basis that you work your way up to HC because you put in a lot of time at a lower level.   College football and NFL is full of professional coordinators who will likely never be HCs.  

• Haha 1

Sound advice. 

• Sad 1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Good for them. Kuechly has already earned $63 million. The other guys almost certainly had earned as much or more. Take care of y'all mentals and take care of y'all chicken. 

• Thanks 1