Where did the HUNH go?

Beaker

I was watching a close up of the Clemson DL breathing heavy with hands on hips after the second drive and thinking "we are so going to win this game as we make adjustments."

- Regardless of scheme, HUNH creates advantages.   Why not capitalize on momentum?

Wasn't that one of the cool things about getting Stidham?

Not sure why we can't make in game adjustments....baffling

I've been asking the same question for quite a while now.  It certainly did not show up in the Clemson game.

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

I was watching a close up of the Clemson DL breathing heavy with hands on hips after the second drive and thinking "we are so going to win this game as we make adjustments."

- Regardless of scheme, HUNH creates advantages.   Why not capitalize on momentum?

Wasn't that one of the cool things about getting Stidham?

Not sure why we can't make in game adjustments....baffling

It's been gone for years.  2014 was the same mess.  Gus scrapped it and it cost wins and a shot at a national title and Heisman for Nick.  

Tons of folks are asking this same question. And you are right, that DL was sucking wind and was ripe to be completely worn out at the end if handled correctly by us. They are great but have very little depth. Was talked about all week and was not exploited by us at all. Add this to the long list of puzzling issues going on with the O and O staff in particular. 

Exactly, the Hurry-Up is what makes this offense work. You wear out the D-line and then keep the hammer down. This offense is ultimately defensible when the pace slows down. This is the main reason for the offensive woes for the last several years. I don't know why it was abandoned except for trying to protect an inept defense years ago, but that hasn't been a problem for the last couple of years. If they don't get back to 80-85 plays a game, they'll never get back to what they did in 2010 or 2013.

Sorry, but Gus' sschtick / philosophy is predicated on wearing down defenses.  

Looks like he has chosen to try to batter the defense into submission with Pettway instead of wearing them out with the HUNH. Foolish b/c our opponents are sending  x% of their players to the NFL.   He has gotten lost chasing his tail....he is truly lost 

Reading this thread reminded me of some videos I watched a few years back of Gus having the team doing HUNH drills. Watch these if you want to be even more ticked at what we've become: 

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Sorry, but Gus' sschtick / philosophy is predicated on wearing down defenses.  

Looks like he has chosen to try to batter the defense into submission with Pettway instead of wearing them out with the HUNH. Foolish b/c our opponents are sending  x% of their players to the NFL.   He has gotten lost chasing his tail....he is truly lost 

There was another coach in the SEC that tried to force his opponent into submission by running his stud RB straight into the defense.  He lost his job mid- season last yr after 10 yrs when his stubborn old ass refused to evolve his offense, get creative and put a less predictable O on the field.  May you rest in retirement Les Miles.

Archived