Moving past lsu loss

aubiefifty

Auburn believes it's moved on from 'sour taste' of LSU loss

The full impact of Auburn's loss at LSU may not be known until the end of the season, but in the short-term the Tigers feel like they've moved on.

A 52-20 win at Arkansas featuring 629 yards of offense, three fumble recoveries and a dominant second half despite a roster stretched thin by injuries helped Auburn (6-2, 4-1 SEC) move past the disappointment of a week earlier.

"I think we had a sour taste in our mouth about (LSU)," defensive tackle Derrick Brown said. "We came out here all week ready to practice, ready to work. I saw it in everybody's eyes getting back Sunday night (after LSU) how we all felt."

The offensive performance in particular was an enormous change. The sixth-best offensive performance, by yards, against an SEC team and 12th best overall in program history was polar opposite to the 354 yards and inability to move the ball in the second half against LSU.

"Obviously we were really disappointed with how last week ended," quarterback Jarrett Stidham said during a postgame radio interview. "But we really wanted to challenge ourselves this week to bounce back from it, put it in the past and keep moving forward."

It was the second straight year Auburn put up over 600 yards and 50-plus points against Arkansas, a trend Gus Malzahn was happy about but had no immediate explanation for.

ADVERTISING

"We were balanced, I felt like," he said. "We really talked about being balanced and we threw for 284 and rushed for 345. I think probably the big thing was we were able to get the tempo going. So that was a big factor."

The latest onslaught by Auburn against an inferior, overmatched opponent came amid a three-game road stretch and as the Tigers enter an open week before a critical month of November with games against Texas A&M, Georgia and Alabama.

Several players said the mindset shifted dramatically from a week earlier to more upbeat following another dominant SEC win.

"It definitely gives you momentum going into the bye week," receiver Darius Slayton said. "Obviously coming out next week and get healthy and prepare for Texas A&M."

Whether pummeling another team in the cellar of a top-heavy SEC is indicative of a team that's turned a corner or just another example of Auburn being a cut above bad teams but also a notch below elite opponents will be known in the weeks ahead.

For now, the players believe they're on the right track to the "strong" finish to the season Malzahn has repeatedly stated he believes will happen.

"We got our edge back," defensive back Daniel Thomas said. "So we're on the way."

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

No edge was returned by beating a piss poor Arky team that Gus lives to beat.  Beat Texas A&M and then beat UGA, then we can talk about an edge being found.

wde

The players did a very good job with the Arky win regardless of them being a poor team. This game could have been close if the 2nd half had turned out like the 1st. Credit is due to these young men for finding a way to lay the wood to Arky the 2nd half without any collapse. I think these young men want to win in the worst possible way  and will give 110% for the TAMU game. If we lose that game it could carry over though to the Uga game. Who knows folks.

Regardless if you dislike Gus and JJ, the team needs our support and this means more to them than we might realize at this juncture of the season.  I tend to get ticked off too easily as of recent times than in the past. I guess this old man knows he has no more than 10-20 seasons at most to see us win another NC or 2. You young whippersnappers have a long time to go!

What befuddles me is our ability to look like a well oiled machine some of the time and then the deer in the headlights look on others. I can accept loses to a better team but its the way we lose. Our players appear to be as good as most top tier teams, our coaches must also be as good as the top tier teams. Its the loses like LSU that you simply cannot have, especially in the 5th year, if you expect to compete for championships. That lose defines where we are in this process. Are my expectations too high?

On 10/25/2017 at 8:39 PM, doc4aday said:

The players did a very good job with the Arky win regardless of them being a poor team. This game could have been close if the 2nd half had turned out like the 1st. Credit is due to these young men for finding a way to lay the wood to Arky the 2nd half without any collapse. I think these young men want to win in the worst possible way  and will give 110% for the TAMU game. If we lose that game it could carry over though to the Uga game. Who knows folks.

Regardless if you dislike Gus and JJ, the team needs our support and this means more to them than we might realize at this juncture of the season.  I tend to get ticked off too easily as of recent times than in the past. I guess this old man knows he has no more than 10-20 seasons at most to see us win another NC or 2. You young whippersnappers have a long time to go!

You and I are probably close in age. I use to think it came down to blocking and tackling. Ole school I guess. I know now that even with superior athletes and good fundamentals, its the ability to constantly adjust throughout the game nowadays that puts you over the top. Our coaching staff is growing but needs to giddy up to catch up. WDE!

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The only way to completely move past this is for Gus to lead this team to the SEC championship game. 

I think we can move past it somewhat, if Gus can win TaM and either Ga or ALabama game.

I think TaM is now a trap game. After watching MSU dominate the LOS, and pretty much handle TaM's offense, most Auburn fans will expect us to do the same or more. College football doesn't seem to work that way.

But with our coach., no lead is safe, if he is going to go back into a don't lose the game on offense mentality. 

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think we can move past it somewhat, if Gus can win TaM and either Ga or ALabama game.

I think TaM is now a trap game. After watching MSU dominate the LOS, and pretty much handle TaM's offense, most Auburn fans will expect us to do the same or more. College football doesn't seem to work that way.

But with our coach., no lead is safe, if he is going to go back into a don't lose the game on offense mentality. 

Doing that will definitely keep him off the hot seat going into next season, but a good portion of the fan base will be pissed that he lost a very winnable game against LSU. If he is able to beat 1 of 2 of UGA, Bama then their will always be the thought of what if with LSU. The bottom line is this time was in prime position to be in the mix of things for the playoffs. Now we have to win out for even a chance.

Archived