SECCG thoughts on what to expect

gr82b4au

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The last time they met an SECW team in the postseason, it didn't go so well for the other team, that's for sure. 

Heck when was the last time the east won anyway 2008 ? I told you before we played uga that we had two common opponents mizz and MSU and we beat them worse than uga did. I didn’t have much doubt who the best team was. Same with uat you take away our total botched LSU game we should have won big and we played our other opponents better than uat.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly had a Bammer tell me that they played so poorly against us that they would've lost to MSU and LSU both playing that way. No, it wasn't because we have one of the best defenses in the country. No, it wasn't because we have a more balanced offense that made more plays. Nope, it was just because Bama played their worst game against us.

I think they call that denial in the psychological world.

Here is a complete list of teams that replayed each other in the championship game. The regular season champ is 15-9 overall and 8/9 losses are from teams that barely won in the regular season. The biggest upset was in 2001 when Texas beat Colorado 41-7 in the regular season and Colorado won 39-37 in the championship game. https://www.ruleoftree.com/2012/11/26/3695016/stanford-ucla-beating-the-same-team-twice-pac-12-championship

Wow, spent a good part of the day listening and reading sports commentary on the upcoming Auburn versus Georgia game.

My take from all of the comments is that Auburn players should have no difficulty being motivated for this game.  More often than not , it was suggested that Auburn is the team with something to prove.

In particular, a number of people discounted the wins over Alabama and Georgia because the games were played in Auburn.

My other take is that if we win we are in the playoffs and if we lose we are out of the top ten...

Was reading the dawg nation boards and their predictions are them winning by three scores. Also predicting a 65/35 crowd split for Georgia. I’m thinking them knowing early they were going may up their numbers.  Auburn travels well tho. I was at both the Arizona and rose bowl championships (which was much further and the Arizona tickets especially hard to get) and auburn fans way out numbered the other team. Especially at the rose bowl

Did they even get three scores in the last game? :P

They have convinced themselves, much like the Bammers, that their loss was a fluke. It was a glitch in the Matrix. They lost the game - Auburn didn't win anything.

It's okay, we'll just show them the light again this weekend.

Here's the deal. Each school is awarded the same number of seats to sell. The difference in fan numbers are going to come from the corporations that buy tickets and give them to their clients. Since most of the clients would be from Atlanta, I presume, the majority would go to Georgia fans. I bet it is 60/40, UGA. That's my guess. Could be wrong. I hope so! AU fans are just going to have to be louder.

As for the game, we cannot be overconfident like they were in the last game. We will have to play with as much determination as we did before. If we do, we will be fine. I believe our coaching staff is better than theirs. The way we schemed for them and shut down their run was amazing. I bet we come up with another great game plan. Of course, prayer never hurts either!!!

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Here's the deal. Each school is awarded the same number of seats to sell. The difference in fan numbers are going to come from the corporations that buy tickets and give them to their clients. Since most of the clients would be from Atlanta, I presume, the majority would go to Georgia fans. I bet it is 60/40, UGA. That's my guess. Could be wrong. I hope so! AU fans are just going to have to be louder.

As for the game, we cannot be overconfident like they were in the last game. We will have to play with as much determination as we did before. If we do, we will be fine. 

Crowd estimate sounds fair....enough that at many critical times our fans can make themselves heard....not like a normal road game where we might have 10% or so...and have them scattered all around the stadium.

I was at the (2001, I think?) SECCG between UT & LSU.  I estimate UT fans outnumbered Tiger fans 3-1 but LSU was easily twice as loud.

If AU's home-field advantage is it's fans (yes it is) then I'm sure our fans can make this a "home" game very easily.

War Eagle.

19 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

As for the game, we cannot be overconfident like they were in the last game. We will have to play with as much determination as we did before. If we do, we will be fine. I believe our coaching staff is better than theirs. The way we schemed for them and shut down their run was amazing. I bet we come up with another great game plan. Of course, prayer never hurts either!!!

I'm hoping that our Alumni base in ATL will come through. Granted it isn't as large as UGA but there are a lot of AU grads there and some in prominent positions. 

Send UGA back to the pit of misery! 

Dilly Dilly!

Interesting tidbit.

Malzahn coached offenses average scoring 47.7 points in the SEC Title game.

2006: 28 points vs. Florida.

(Most points Florida gave up all year on the way to the national championship)

2010: 56 vs. USCe

(rematch, most points allowed all year)

2013: 59 vs. Missouri

(12-2 Missouri team, most points allowed all year, not close)

How’s that for rat poison?

As is àlways, most games are won on  the two lines abilities. I know GA will be much more intense this game. Our entire D is special and that wins games and championships. But, it is going to be so difficult to stop their 2 backs and hold them to under 50 yards again. I still think if we hold them to 150, we can win, but that stat will change no doubt. Now, I expect D Brown to still get pressure on Frohm, even tho GA has changed the OL up a bit. He's just as good as the 5 Star billing he was given. Our O Line, will have a tougher time. GA defense is very solid and they realize they played sloppy in prior game. I don't really expect KJ to be the factor he was in the last matchup. Hope I'm so wrong. Really think Gus ran him in ground in mid season even when we had enormous leads. I like Kam Martin, but he is much like OM a few years ago. Can't run between the tackles, due to his size. I do however, think the true frosh Barrett is the real deal. On passing plays, bring in Miller. He's bigger and can at least pick up a LB. Going to be much closer this go round, but Stidham and our WR could make up for the lack of rushing yards. 

47 minutes ago, slipadeedoodah said:

Interesting tidbit.

Malzahn coached offenses average scoring 47.7 points in the SEC Title game.

2006: 28 points vs. Florida.

(Most points Florida gave up all year on the way to the national championship)

2010: 56 vs. USCe

(rematch, most points allowed all year)

2013: 59 vs. Missouri

(12-2 Missouri team, most points allowed all year, not close)

How’s that for rat poison?

2006 was Arkansas, not us. 

4 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Was reading the dawg nation boards and their predictions are them winning by three scores. Also predicting a 65/35 crowd split for Georgia. I’m thinking them knowing early they were going may up their numbers.  Auburn travels well tho. I was at both the Arizona and rose bowl championships (which was much further and the Arizona tickets especially hard to get) and auburn fans way out numbered the other team. Especially at the rose bowl

Arizona was like an Auburn home game in the desert. It was something to behold!

6 hours ago, Linayus said:

I honestly had a Bammer tell me that they played so poorly against us that they would've lost to MSU and LSU both playing that way. No, it wasn't because we have one of the best defenses in the country. No, it wasn't because we have a more balanced offense that made more plays. Nope, it was just because Bama played their worst game against us.

I think they call that denial in the psychological world.

Same. I've heard it 3 times. 

I need some sunshine pumping...I felt very confident about this game up until yesterday when all of a sudden I began listening to some outside voices and now I’m worried. I know we’re the better team but the better team doesn’t always win...so pump me some sunshine!!!

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

I need some sunshine pumping...I felt very confident about this game up until yesterday when all of a sudden I began listening to some outside voices and now I’m worried. I know we’re the better team but the better team doesn’t always win...so pump me some sunshine!!!

We have a better QB on offense.

We have a better line on defense.

Jalen Hurts is more dangerous than Jake Fromm.

Georgia’s runningbacks are comparable to Alabama’s.

This is our 4th big time game against a Top 6 team. It’s only Georgia’s second.

Texas A&M has more sacks than Georgia, we torched their defense at Kyle Field.

The media, Dawg fans, and maybe the team itself, seem to be pumping this notion of AU beat their JV a couple weeks ago.

Well, if AU needed extra motivation, I'm sure all of this disrespect has been mentioned in an AU team meeting or three.

For those of us who used to, or still do, relish when our beloved Tigers are the underdog, this should all be fantastic motivation.

War Eagle.

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

I need some sunshine pumping...I felt very confident about this game up until yesterday when all of a sudden I began listening to some outside voices and now I’m worried.

Before answering, one quick question about these outside voices you are listening to.  Can other people hear them too?  ;) 

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The media, Dawg fans, and maybe the team itself, seem to be pumping this notion of AU beat their JV a couple weeks ago.

Well, if AU needed extra motivation, I'm sure all of this disrespect has been mentioned in an AU team meeting or three.

For those of us who used to, or still do, relish when our beloved Tigers are the underdog, this should all be fantastic motivation.

War Eagle.

I'm worried about some things. The mental state of our team is not one of those things.

Ask Missouri how a Gus Malzahn team gets up for the SECCG after a few emotional weeks and a couple big wins. Imagine how a Gus Malzahn team with a defense would have treated them. 

A lot of people (media, Dawg fans, Danielson, etc.) have been searching for a crack in armor, so to speak.   It will only work if our team starts to believe it.  I’ve been critical of Gus the last two years or so, but what I can say is Gus is an unbelievable motivator.  

Take 2013 as an example; Gus wins three games to end the season, two of them the most emotional wins I have every witnessed.  Not many coaches could rally the troops to win another game against a worthy opponent who has coasted into the Championship game.  Kind of similar to this year’s  finish.

Gus has mentioned that this year’s team is more stable than in 2013, which means (IMO), we have a much better defense and an offense that he trusts.  I would be shocked if our team does not play a complete 60 minute game on Saturday, whether we win or lose, our team will play every minute of that game.

The staff has rallied after the LSU game when the staff was in fear of their jobs (not just Gus, but the staff).  When that happens, it’s the staff against the world.  They are on a mission to finish this because, what time is it?  “It’s our time”

War Eagle, Beat the Dawgs.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm worried about some things. The mental state of our team is not one of those things.

Ask Missouri how a Gus Malzahn team gets up for the SECCG after a few emotional weeks and a couple big wins. Imagine how a Gus Malzahn team with a defense would have treated them. 

I was typing as you posted, our thoughts are aligned again this morning.

Archived