College Football Playoffs Announcement

AUDynasty

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Here is a Stat for everyone on how great the big 10 is...

They are the only conference without an out of conference win vs top 25.

if i'm not mistaken wisky has 0 top 25 wins

5 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Take every opponent from Wisconsin schedule and look at those teams schedule with W/L. 

Alabama's resume is better. 

If Bama lost by 31 points to aTm and 12 to AU but beat UGA in conference championship And OSU Lost only once but didn't win the conference.  Who should go to the playoffs? 

It's easy, the team who didn't lose by 31 points.

If you go by what the committee said and how they decided to put Alabama in the playoff..  Maybe they should have sent the memo to Auburn and Wisconsin not to play your championship game and you will be in...

5 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

This Big 10 love fest in here is just starting to blur my vision. 

It is not about a Big 10 love fest. It is about the committee saying how they decided who got in. 

Committee done exactly the same thing last year. Idk why anyone expected any difference. They said conference champ matters if the two teams are comparable. Bama lost by 12 to a top 7 opponent. OSU lost by 15 to a top 5 and 31 to a team comparable to aTm or maybe even Kentucky.

9 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Are they good or not? Weird comment. Really good but a joke. Sorry, don't get it. 

Sorry, I wasn't being precise. Bama getting into the playoff is a bit of a joke. From the perspective of an Auburn fan, the joke is on us, since we beat Bama. I think they are a good team.

10 hours ago, AuMarine said:

If you go by what the committee said and how they decided to put Alabama in the playoff..  Maybe they should have sent the memo to Auburn and Wisconsin not to play your championship game and you will be in...

I don't understand this rationale......UGA would NOT be in the playoff if they had not won the SEC.  So the conference championships do actually matter, UGA had to play in it and win it to get a spot in the CFP.  :dunno:

34 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't understand this rationale......UGA would NOT be in the playoff if they had not won the SEC.  So the conference championships do actually matter, UGA had to play in it and win it to get a spot in the CFP.  :dunno:

Auburn was already sitting at #2 in the CFP and Wisconsin was sitting at #4 with Clemson and Oklahoma 1 and 3 respectfully. The playoff committee said they didn't put much stock in conference championships.. therefore it was said that if Auburn and Wisconsin had not been in their conference championships.. they would have been in.. Many sports talking heads have said Auburn and Wisconsin could have sat at home and got in because of their rankings before the championships. 

7 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Sorry, I wasn't being precise. Bama getting into the playoff is a bit of a joke. From the perspective of an Auburn fan, the joke is on us, since we beat Bama. I think they are a good team.

Actually I read it exactly as you just explained. I think your point was clear. Maybe because I feel the same way. :-\

2 hours ago, keesler said:

You are right about the SEC this year......was a knockout game for AU and Ga.....but not bama of course. ...and in the other conferences was mostly a knock out game for one team since as we saw, only one team in the Big 10 had a chance, one team from the Big 12 and nobody from the PAC.    

It would have been nice if the championship games could function as the first round of the playoffs but the committee is not letting that happen.    If it weren't for the money, I'm betting several conferences would drop the idea.  JMO

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

You are right about the SEC this year......was a knockout game for AU and Ga.....but not bama of course. ...and in the other conferences was mostly a knock out game for one team since as we saw, only one team in the Big 10 had a chance, one team from the Big 12 and nobody from the PAC.    

It would have been nice if the championship games could function as the first round of the playoffs but the committee is not letting that happen.    If it weren't for the money, I'm betting several conferences would drop the idea.  JMO

They should just set up where they can have their cake and eat it too.

Just set the playoff based off the regular season games prior to the conference championships. The conferences then can have their championships for monetary purposes and nobody is awarded for sitting at home.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Yeah, definitely no consistency here.  Apparently it matters for some teams, but does not matter for other teams regarding who gets in the playoffs.  I thought the playoffs would change at least some of the political jockeying of the BCS.  I’m hoping in the near future they will reconsider the current playoff format and criteria.

So many so called “experts” in the sports opinion arena say that uat will win it all this year.  And many were saying this before the season even started.  It makes you wonder why Alabama even has to play a regular season?  Just put them in the playoff every year.  Anyway, some cite the ESPN’s “FPI” for their projection.  I’m not very familiar with it, but they say it is a credible way to predict winners, and they predict uat to win it all.     IMO there is some bias in their formula as well.  I get sick of hearing these talking heads  propagandizing uat all the time.  I mean why even play the playoffs?  Just give the trophy to west vance.

By the way, the FPI gave Auburn only a 25% chance of beating Uat.

3 hours ago, eibua12 said:

What happens if Auburn, UGA, and Bama all end the season after the Championship game with only 1 lose?

Usually there is a tie breaker as far as the conference is concerned........but the committee of course would take bama since any game they lose is just a fluke.....caused by refs or an injury to a key player that affected the outcome.   It's a pretty simple system.:)

16 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Auburn was already sitting at #2 in the CFP and Wisconsin was sitting at #4 with Clemson and Oklahoma 1 and 3 respectfully. The playoff committee said they didn't put much stock in conference championships.. therefore it was said that if Auburn and Wisconsin had not been in their conference championships.. they would have been in.. Many sports talking heads have said Auburn and Wisconsin could have sat at home and got in because of their rankings before the championships. 

Yes but as is stands today, there are conference championships that have to be played.  Talk is cheap, and the talking heads will say anything as we Auburn fans know too well.  

Auburn and Wisconsin didn't have the option of sitting home to save their spot in the CFP.  If you beat enough teams to win your division then you can not decline participation in your conference championship game. 

Hell, I've been boasting and showing pride in winning our division - I wanted to win the SEC West and go on to play in the SECCG, sitting home to save that #2 spot wasn't even a thought.  

The bottom line is that UGA would NOT be in the semi-finals if they hadn't won the SEC.  

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Yes but as is stands today, there are conference championships that have to be played.  Talk is cheap, and the talking heads will say anything as we Auburn fans know too well.  

Auburn and Wisconsin didn't have the option of sitting home to save their spot in the CFP.  If you beat enough teams to win your division then you can not decline participation in your conference championship game. 

Hell, I've been boasting and showing pride in winning our division - I wanted to win the SEC West and go on to play in the SECCG, sitting home to save that #2 spot wasn't even a thought.  

The bottom line is that UGA would NOT be in the semi-finals if they hadn't won the SEC.  

very true.. and I agree about UGA and not being able to stay home. I make my comments based off what the committee said was their criteria for getting in the playoffs and nothing more... The committee talks out of both sides of their mouth. Which should suprise no one.. 

Auburn made an incredible run. I am so proud of our team.. The way they beat UGA and Bama.. so proud of them coming back after the LSU disaster to win the west was nothing less than remarkable. 

The committee has been consistent with one thing. If you lose more than one game, you ain't getting in. I guess the regular season still matters. It wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people were worried about the regular season not meaning as much. There will be a new argument every year. I am totally for an 8 or 16 team playoff but that is just me. 

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

The committee has been consistent with one thing. If you lose more than one game, you ain't getting in. I guess the regular season still matters. It wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people were worried about the regular season not meaning as much. There will be a new argument every year. I am totally for an 8 or 16 team playoff but that is just me. 

If Auburn got to sit at home instead of going to the SECG they would of put a 2 loss team in. It would of been Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.

If the regular season really did mean that much then a team that went 2-1 vs 3 of what are considered the "top 4" in the country would be in while a team that went 0-1 would be at home.

If so consistent with the regular season then why was a premium put on championship games in 2014 in regards to Baylor and TCU? Imagine if the Big 12 was punished in 2014 for no Championship game and then punished for having a Championship game if OU would of lost to TCU.

Alabama in New Orleans is a brand name move involving money. Just like when they were given the nod over Oklahoma State to play LSU again following the whole we can't have a Michigan/Ohio State rematch argument.

Expanding the playoffs will do nothing but make more regular season games mean nothing. Look at your own fan base, the majority of them are running around stating the Iron Bowl had no meaning.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

If Auburn got to sit at home instead of going to the SECG they would of put a 2 loss team in. It would of been Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.

If the regular season really did mean that much then a team that went 2-1 vs 3 of what are considered the "top 4" in the country would be in while a team that went 0-1 would be at home.

If so consistent with the regular season then why was a premium put on championship games in 2014 in regards to Baylor and TCU? Imagine if the Big 12 was punished in 2014 for no Championship game and then punished for having a Championship game if OU would of lost to TCU.

Alabama in New Orleans is a brand name move involving money. Just like when they were given the nod over Oklahoma State to play LSU again following the whole we can't have a Michigan/Ohio State rematch argument.

Expanding the playoffs will do nothing but make more regular season games mean nothing. Look at your own fan base, the majority of them are running around stating the Iron Bowl had no meaning.

So agree people seem to be forgetting the committee has changed their criteria every year and it's laughable. Everyone keeps saying look at osu loses but are forgetting their the only team to beat 2 top 10 team that the committee ranked themselves.(besides AU). The committee said a few weeks ago the distance between osu and bama were razor thin,osu goes out beat the number 4(which the committee ranked) team in the country bama sits at home and all of a sudden distance themselves????

11 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Yup.

I'm not impressed that so many Auburn fans are trying to act like we didn't lose to LSU and like our loss against Clemson didn't matter at all. We were utter crap in 1/6th of our regular season games. That does and should matter. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The committee has been consistent with one thing. If you lose more than one game, you ain't getting in

Except a two loss Auburn would’ve easily been in if they took care of Georgia the second time. I think the main take away is they’re not forgiving on bad losses. Iowa was a bad loss that they couldn’t ignore.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Except a two loss Auburn would’ve easily been in if they took care of Georgia the second time. I think the main take away is they’re not forgiving on bad losses. Iowa was a bad loss that they couldn’t ignore.

Good point. You're absolutely right.

Either way, the regular season still matters and I am in support of that. 

Archived